Petty has to play

Jets723

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

it's just amazing that the same team / coaching staff that was petrified to let petty throw a downfield pass sat idly by as intpatrick threw a floater to 2 dolphins in the end zone on the most important play of the game.   

You do realize that Fitz threw a TD after that interception and the Jets had the lead for all of ten seconds because of a KORTD? That interception was not the most important play of the game. But yes, the play calling for any QB this season has been questionable at best.

Petty will get two full weeks of reps and then start after the bye. That makes the most sense. Then he'll get six full games to show what he has. Sink or swim time for him. 

3 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

it's just amazing that the same team / coaching staff that was petrified to let petty throw a downfield pass sat idly by as intpatrick threw a floater to 2 dolphins in the end zone on the most important play of the game.   

Sad isn't it. Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst QB in the NFL.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Petty's first game action against New England is a lousy idea.  The Rams is a better plan.

The Rams defensive line is going to eat the Jets offensive line alive. That's not completely ideal either. There isn't going to be an ideal opponent. You can't shield Petty forever, but you can make sure that he's fully ready and properly in tune with the offense if you give him two weeks of reps at practice. 

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Petty's first game action against New England is a lousy idea.  The Rams is a better plan.

Is he a pussy or a pro?

If he's a pro, doesn't matter who his first game is against.

Stop coddling the man.  He'll either sink or swim regardless.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Is he a pussy or a pro?

If he's a pro, doesn't matter who his first game is against.

Stop coddling the man.  He'll either sink or swim regardless.

Your concept is logical.  I agree that good QBs play well under most circumstances no matter what.  This is one of the instances, pretty rare around here lately, that I think a differing idea from mine has merit. 

I just feel that New England creates potential for a really undesirable situation for first game action.  Playing from behind, little chance for a short field or two, lotsa 3rd and long passing situations.  The Rams game will be competitive and allow Chan to be flexible on how he wants to "go with the game flow" so to speak. 

Asking Petty to play down 17 points against the softer 7 man coverage the Pats play, forcing 15 play sustained drives, has been difficult for a seasoned vet to navigate.  

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Your concept is logical.  I agree that good QBs play well under most circumstances no matter what.  This is one of the instances, pretty rare around here lately, that I think a differing idea from mine has merit. 

I just feel that New England creates potential for a really undesirable situation for first game action.  Playing from behind, little chance for a short field or two, lotsa 3rd and long passing situations.  The Rams game will be competitive and allow Chan to be flexible on how he wants to "go with the game flow" so to speak. 

Asking Petty to play down 17 points against the softer 7 man coverage the Pats play, forcing 15 play sustained drives, has been difficult for a seasoned vet to navigate.  

What's the worst that can happen?  He fails to beat Tom Brady when Tom whips our poo-ridden Defense?

Other than the predictable instant-fan-overreaction and desire to cut him on the spot (so we can get Romo, of course!), nothing bad will happen.  He'll be a rookie QB on  sh*t team who couldn't beat Tom Brady.  So what.

IF he gives us the best chance to win, and we're out of the hunt (both of which seem true right now) he plays, period.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What's the worst that can happen?  He fails to beat Tom Brady when Tom whips our poo-ridden Defense?

Other than the predictable instant-fan-overreaction and desire to cut him on the spot (so we can get Romo, of course!), nothing bad will happen.  He'll be a rookie QB on  sh*t team who couldn't beat Tom Brady.  So what.

IF he gives us the best chance to win, and we're out of the hunt (both of which seem true right now) he plays, period.

The worst thing is that the game will turn fugly.  I would rather avoid that.  I get it. You disagree but I am sure you understand my POV too.

32 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I still laugh when I hear Fitz, best chance to win and playoffs all in the same sentence. Put Petty in, we all know what Fitz is...let's act like it.

Kind of scary that the lowest rated starting QB in the league gives us the best chance to win

I think if Petty did not get hurt he would be playing already. He was considered a project coming out of college. Before today, he had not played an NFL down. Then he gets hurt in the last preseason game and misses 5-6 week of reps. I think the coaching staff is trying to get him enough looks and reps before putting him on the field. I'd love to see him next week but I view Bowles decision as being LESS about wanting to stick with Fitz as it is with not wanting to put our 3rd string, project QB in before he is ready. I think giving Petty 5-6 games to end the season is just fine.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I absolutely love  the Romo reference.  

We all know that Woody won't be able to help himself if Romo becomes available.  It could conceivably come down to a battle between 2 meddling owner in Snyder and Woody for Romo in the off-season.  

44 minutes ago, SBBound said:

I think if Petty did not get hurt he would be playing already. He was considered a project coming out of college. Before today, he had not played an NFL down. Then he gets hurt in the last preseason game and misses 5-6 week of reps. I think the coaching staff is trying to get him enough looks and reps before putting him on the field. I'd love to see him next week but I view Bowles decision as being LESS about wanting to stick with Fitz as it is with not wanting to put our 3rd string, project QB in before he is ready. I think giving Petty 5-6 games to end the season is just fine.

I get that Petty was hurt but what reps are you referring to?   Petty would have gotten exactly 0 reps with the 1st or 2nd team offenses during the week as he was the scout team QB.    

This position has been totally mis-managed by the Jets since before Chadwick's 1st injury.   It's almost like it doesn't matter who the GM / HC is, as soon as they get to the jets they are cursed to mis-manage the QB position.   

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You do realize that Fitz threw a TD after that interception and the Jets had the lead for all of ten seconds because of a KORTD? That interception was not the most important play of the game. But yes, the play calling for any QB this season has been questionable at best.

Petty will get two full weeks of reps and then start after the bye. That makes the most sense. Then he'll get six full games to show what he has. Sink or swim time for him. 

Fitz took points off the board with that int, it was a total killer.   He also missed a wide-open Marshall in the 1st quarter which turned 7 into 3.  

Fitzpatrick has been horrible in the redzone all season and has been prone to take points off the board with his ill-timed int's.   It really started vs. Buffalo in week 17 last year but has been a constant all season this year.   You cannot turn the ball over inside the redzone and expect to win.   

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Fitz took points off the board with that int, it was a total killer.   He also missed a wide-open Marshall in the 1st quarter which turned 7 into 3.  

Fitzpatrick has been horrible in the redzone all season and has been prone to take points off the board with his ill-timed int's.   It really started vs. Buffalo in week 17 last year but has been a constant all season this year.   You cannot turn the ball over inside the redzone and expect to win.   

Such a killer that the Jets had the lead with 5 minutes left to play. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What an exciting 10 seconds it was too, eh?

The Rams defensive line is really good. Not a great time for the rookie QB to play his first game. Bye week would give a little more time to prepare for the transition - the Pats' D isn't bad and I imagine Belichick would give a rookie QB fits, but I think it should wait until some time after the bye.

If the Jets intend to see what Petty can do, they have to start him THIS week at home against a beatable team to give him a little confidence and get him some positive game experience.  Giving him his first start against the Pats or the Colts is not the way to go, but when you have incompetent people making the decisions, I wont hold my breath.

6 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Hack will never play for the Jets. Yes, he's that bad. Let's roll with Petty and if he stink we take the Washington QB Browning.

Hack will never play for the Jets? Just you watch- he will be their starter next year- for better or worse, and you will be eating crow. 

Archived