Watching game with non jet fans: "you guys are cursed"

nico002

I can't disagree, you just don't see this sh*t with other teams.

- bogus taunting penalties giving phish first downs

- 4 redzone drives without a td

- Fitz int to a dt

- dropped pick six after our int 

- penalty causes re-kick leading to return td

- countless more plays like this, and dozens more games 

4 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I can't disagree, you just don't see this sh*t with other teams.

- bogus taunting penalties giving phish first downs

- 4 redzone drives without a td

- Fitz int to a dt

- dropped pick six after our int 

- penalty causes re-kick leading to return td

- countless more plays like this, and dozens more games 

the curse is that today wasn't even a top 20 heart-breaking loss for this franchise.   

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Except for the first one, the rest show a bad (or badly coached) team. Not sure I blame a curse for this.....

It is the same curse of every bad team. It all starts at the top and there stands Woody Johnson. Need I say more. He hires the HC ahead of the GM - didn't we see this play out before with Rex and Idzik. What's the difference this time, just because he hired consultants there is no difference. Bowles answers to Johnson NOT Maccagnan who also answers to Johnson. Johnson answers to no one and really doesn't know a whole lot about football by his own admission. Yeah, a perfectly functioning franchise.

I certainly don't believe in curses but ironically I've been rooting for this team since the late 60's and honestly nothing changes.  No matter who the HC or the QB is they find a way to lose.  Sometimes they will have brief periods of success but even then it falls short and doesn't last long. They've had different owners, GMs & HCs.

I always felt the turning point of this franchise was the replacing of HC Walt Michaels with Joe Walton in the early 80's. In 1977 Walt Michaels took over an embarrassingly bad team and methodically, over a 6 year period, built the Jets to a championship level team. Understand there was no Free Agency in those days and trades were very rare. Thus Micheals built the team strictly through the draft. Even though the Jets lost the AFC Title game in the 1982 season they were young and talented.  Shockingly Micheals was fired after the 1982 AFC Title loss (non-football reasons) and replaced with OC Joe Walton.  This IMO is when the history of the Jets franchise took a wrong turn.

Just the theory of an older fan.

20 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I certainly don't believe in curses but ironically I've been rooting for this team since the late 60's and honestly nothing changes.  No matter who the HC or the QB is they find a way to lose.  Sometimes they will have brief periods of success but even then it falls short and doesn't last long. They've had different owners, GMs & HCs.

I always felt the turning point of this franchise was the replacing of HC Walt Michaels with Joe Walton in the early 80's. In 1977 Walt Michaels took over an embarrassingly bad team and methodically, over a 6 year period, built the Jets to a championship level team. Understand there was no Free Agency in those days and trades were very rare. Thus Micheals built the team strictly through the draft. Even though the Jets lost the AFC Title game in the 1982 season they were young and talented.  Shockingly Micheals was fired after the 1982 AFC Title loss (non-football reasons) and replaced with OC Joe Walton.  This IMO is when the history of the Jets franchise took a wrong turn.

From one older fan to another, I'd have to say your 2nd paragraph is pretty spot on.

Cursed by the bet that Joe Namath made for the glory of Superbowl III?  Or the totally irrational notion that you have to have;

1.  An owner with the knowledge to hire competent people and build an organization with more than just money.

2.  A Front Office with ability, a sound philosophy and good judgement.

3.  A coaching staff that preaches excellence and accountability in every phase of the game.

4.  Players who are in it for more than a paycheck and to be part of a winning culture.....

No you're probably right.  Those are common occurances in every NFL team.  It's definately a curse.  I'll go get a Mojo Hand....

5 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

It is the same curse of every bad team. It all starts at the top and there stands Woody Johnson. Need I say more. He hires the HC ahead of the GM - didn't we see this play out before with Rex and Idzik. What's the difference this time, just because he hired consultants there is no difference. Bowles answers to Johnson NOT Maccagnan who also answers to Johnson. Johnson answers to no one and really doesn't know a whole lot about football by his own admission. Yeah, a perfectly functioning franchise.

What we REALLY need is The Donald to fire his as% as owner of the NYJ!  *S*

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Michaels was a pathetic angry alcoholic who showed up with major hangovers reeking of booze at press conferences and physically threatened his players with violence in the locker room and actually meant it.  Totally uncool.

2 hours ago, glenn31 said:

From one older fan to another, I'd have to say your 2nd paragraph is pretty spot on.

If you are indeed long time fans, you might be aware that it was Weeb who actually destroyed the SB caliber team though his el cheapo nickel and dime-ing of all his best players and repeatedly humiliating them with miniscule bonuses after winning championships (xcept for white shoes of course) and then installing a relative to replace him as coach and then you have to look at why it is that Matt Snell carried a decades long grudge.  nepotism, cheapness, management incompetence, possible racism. tolerating for years a Namath who threw so many interceptions throughout the bulk of his career that you actually never knew if any given pass was going to be caught by a Jet or the opposition, especially from 1970 on.  The idiocy of letting players like Riggins go.  It was that inability to rebuild correctly after the SB and letting the Chiefs slip by them when it was the Jets who should have repeated at SB champs.  What then permanently decimated them was incompetent ownership year in year out and ridiculous management that had no real plan in place for QB succession when Namath became injured much of the time and it became apparent he would be ineffective for the rest of his career after 1969 and then having second round ownership drift away starting with (in 68) Sonny Werblin who provided all the front office spark and pizzaz and then plodding Hess eventually taking full control of the team.  It was having the front office tolerate drunks like Michaels to be coach for many years as people like Shula and Al Davis got into his head and cause him to flip his top repeatedly.  We are talking black helicopter territory here.  Btw Hess knew even less about football than our boy Woody.  That is the tragedy of the Jets.  It is not the curse or any nonsense like Namath's pact with the Devil.  It was the inability of the original 4 partner/owners to act as responsible forward thinking stewards of what should have been a permanent star franchise that had NFL props like no team on this planet could ever dream of having -- WE CREATED THE MODERN DAY NFL, for christ sakes -- and run it to the ground through gross incompetence.  It was always bad ownership.  The Jets were born as the Titans under the aegis of a drunken broke gambling fool and ended up with a richie rich boy owner who is both a complete football fool and vile tool for politicizing a team that had no business being politicized.  Those are real reasons for the so-called "Curse."

Hess did know less about football than Woody.  But he wanted to pinch his pennies and maintain control, so he and his accountant Steve Guzman ran the team and drafted guys like Mike Haight.   

But as Hess saw his number coming due, he realized that he did not want to stick his son with the team and needed to sell it.  So he hired Parcells to fix it.  Hired a football guy to run football operations.  It worked.  The fans loved the product, and the residual effect of that lasted 10 years.   Now, as the remains of Parcells peeter of, the Jets are stinking again.

This is not only a bad team, it is bad, unlikeable entertainment.  It's the NY Woodies.  We need a football identity-hard working tough players.  New Yorkers.  Not spoiled brats.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

So he hired Parcells to fix it.  

He should never have hired Parcells. This meant he was poaching from the Giants to fix his sorry-as# franchise.  The Giants were our historical enemies.  Hess was completely insensitive to this nuance. 

Archived