What's the real reason Petty isn't getting the nod?

jett

I don't care how easy the rest of this schedule looks, do they really think they still have a shot? 

And if they do, 

Are they still sure Fitz gives them the best shot? 

I was adamant about bringing Fitz back, in fact, even with his play I still stay at the time it was the right call. Geno wouldn't have done much better if at all.   I was against signing wilk and still will am. 

Either way , did Bryce sleep with Todd's daughter? Because I really don't understand why they don't just give him the nod at this point 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its because Bowles doesn't know what he is doing. Too scared to make the change. He is trying to save his job and is hoping Fitz is the better choice to squeak out one or two more wins (realistically maybe one) so that he can pad his record, damn well knowing we have no shot at the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, jett said:

I don't care how easy the rest of this schedule looks, do they really think they still have a shot? 

And if they do, 

I was adamant about bringing Fitz back, in fact, even with his play I still stay at the time it was the right call. Geno wouldn't have done much better if at all.   I was against signing wilk and still will am. 

Either way , did Bryce sleep with Todd's daughter? Because I really don't understand why they don't just give him the nod at this point 

"Because Jets "

5 minutes ago, jett said:

And if they do, 

That can't be it the Honey Badger was nailing her and he always played..

Apparently when petty throws the ball he is holding the ball incorrectly with laces facing forward, instead of the nose of the ball forward. They are working on that still. Hack is not dressing for games because he still puts his helmet on backwards.

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Maybe he's just not that good??! He has seen him play more then any of us have. I'm not anti petty but hey I'm not at practice either.

Winner chicken.  Dinner.

Also, look at the schedule past the Rams game, we have 3 of the next 4 at home at 8:30 at night on national television.  Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, Saturday Night Football, you want an experienced quarterback in there, not a newb, and it's not good for Bryce to be thrust into a starters audition on national TV for a month.

With Fitzpatrick, we have a chance at winning 5 of the next 7.  With Bryce, logic dictates we'd win 2 or 3 at most.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Apparently when petty throws the ball he is holding the ball incorrectly with laces facing forward, instead of the nose of the ball forward. They are working on that still. Hack is not dressing for games because he still puts his helmet on backwards.

You realize a lot of times qb's can't hold the ball laces out with their fingers interlocking laces?  It's fairly common in the NFL, college and high school

It's probably because they don't believe he's the future at QB.... and to be honest if they "know" it already, it's their jobs on the line....... Bowles doesn't have to prove to the fans that Petty isn't the guy if he thinks that Fitz is the better quarterback.

It's his job to win games right now, that's what he's trying to do. If Petty doesn't play it's because Bowles, Mac, Woody (for the people who thinks he makes all the decisions) don't think they can win with him.

Cause hes been injured and has only gotten limited reps, and needs time until hes actually fully healthy and has gotten enough reps before he starts. Also, if you feel this kid has a chance in the future you don't want to shatter him before he can fulfill it.

Parcells' assistants and Jerry Jones were calling for Romo a year before he actually got into a game. Tuna declined because he wasn't ready. Romo went on to have a good career.

I'm not saying I don't want to give Bryce a shot this year, but if it takes another game or two, it is what it is. Trust me the experience of playing the LA Rams will not supersonically catipult Petty into Canton.

I get it, this season sucks, we're all impatient, and need something to put hope into. But you don't want to ruin it by rushing it. 

Heres my theory if any of the QB's Smith,Petty or Hack outplay Fitzpatrick Mike Maccagnan will look like a damn fool around the NFL for signing Fitzpatrick for the $12 million and Woody Johnson will surely clean house at the end of the year thats why Bowles is so reluctant to play anyone else and he too looks like a moron for not starting them sooner. 

This is remenisent of 2002.  Chad was in his 3rd year but wasnt very good in practice or preseason.  The jets lost back to back games by 30 and Herm decided to go w/ chad.

it wasnt because chad earned it, it was because he knew that the magic vinny had was gone and he was losing the team.

when chad came in, not only did the offense get better but more importantly, the defense feed off his energy and played better.

Right now, the whole team is dead because of Fitz.  

If you are going down, fire all the bullets and go out in style.  Bowles is going out like a whimp which is exactly how he coaches.

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Unless you buy into conspiracy theories or UFO sightings its because Bryce Petty isn't better than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

Pretty much. Petty needs to play because he's young and Fitzpatrick is shot, but the overwhelming likelihood is that he's terrible too.

Just now, dbatesman said:

Pretty much. Petty needs to play because he's young and Fitzpatrick is shot, but the overwhelming likelihood is that he's terrible too.

fitzpatrick is statistically the worst qb in the nfl.  they benched him for geno, who also sucks.  i have a hard time believing that the guy who looked the best in preseason games is so much worse than the worst starting qb in the nfl that they're hesitant to play him.  petty may never be a starter, but the jets aren't fooling anyone if they think people believe fitz is better than petty at this point.  his confidence is shot, he's sensitive in the media, and 2 of his 3 main supporters are out with injuries.  

Really just don't think he's good, felt that way since he was drafted. However, without gaining any meaningful reps, it's impossible to evaluate him throughout the season. You think Dak would be blowing up it it weren't for Romo's injury? He's putting together a better season than all but Romo's best season, and do you think his talent would have showed throughout the regular season of practice? Doubtful. Same thing with Petty. Especially when the OC doesn't let him throw the ball in any meaningful situations, which is perplexing, because his starting QB is probably the NFL's most careless QB in the red-zone. Until he gets prolonged periods of 1st team reps and in-game action, impossible to know. It smells more like a stubborn coach who thinks his veteran QB gives him the best chance to salvage a .500 season and his job. Petty is more likely a career backup than not, but it's impossible to know until he sees the damned field. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Heres my theory if any of the QB's Smith,Petty or Hack outplay Fitzpatrick Mike Maccagnan will look like a damn fool around the NFL for signing Fitzpatrick for the $12 million and Woody Johnson will surely clean house at the end of the year thats why Bowles is so reluctant to play anyone else and he too looks like a moron for not starting them sooner. 

However, would Macc not also look like a genius for finding our QB of the future in Rd 2 / Rd 4? To me that would outweigh the whole Fitz resigning several times over.

I think the real answer to the original question is : Fitz has experience, and no upside. Petty has upside, and no experience. Coaches - especially Bowles - love experience much more than upside. Even if the result is meh.

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Unless you buy into conspiracy theories or UFO sightings its because Bryce Petty isn't better than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

I hear you, but sometimes guys just play better when the lights are on.  Bowles's stubborness with Fitz is over the top.  It's not life or death.  It's a game.  He should just play the kid...

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Winner chicken.  Dinner.

Also, look at the schedule past the Rams game, we have 3 of the next 4 at home at 8:30 at night on national television.  Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, Saturday Night Football, you want an experienced quarterback in there, not a newb, and it's not good for Bryce to be thrust into a starters audition on national TV for a month.

With Fitzpatrick, we have a chance at winning 5 of the next 7.  With Bryce, logic dictates we'd win 2 or 3 at most.

SAR I

Please, under that logic..the Cowboys would be 3-5.  Sometimes  you gotta let go. FITZ sucks and does NOTHING for this team, this year or next. Let Petty play.

Petty came in yesterday and should have stayed in.

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

With Fitzpatrick, we have a chance at winning 5 of the next 7. 

You say that like it's a good thing. The Jets aren't making the playoffs. Let's say by some miracle they get to 9-7, they can't break a tie with anyone as they've already lost to all their competition for a wild card spot(Bengals, Chiefs, Steelers)

1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

You say that like it's a good thing. The Jets aren't making the playoffs. Let's say by some miracle they get to 9-7, they can't break a tie with anyone as they've already lost to all their competition for a wild card spot(Bengals, Chiefs, Steelers)

But that will save Bowles... thats all Bowles cares about.  

38 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Maybe he's just not that good??! He has seen him play more then any of us have. I'm not anti petty but hey I'm not at practice either.

This was my first thought to be honest. Not that I expected much in the first place. 

b/c to bowles, benching fitz for a guy with no experience in his mind is like waving the white flag on the season, whereas benching him for geno still makes him believe they're not tanking.  it's all perception, not reality.  it's not about petty not being ready.  no qbs are ready when they get in now.  and if fitz is ready, so what.  he still lost the game for them yesterday.  should have had a td on the first drive, that's 4 points.  gave the phins an easy fg with a pick, that's another 3, and cost them at least 3 with the 2nd pick.  that's at least 10 points alone fitz singlehandedly cost them.  ready is a red herring.  bowles is afraid of how he'll be perceived, and this theme keeps showing up in his ultraconservative, headscratching coaching decisions that will ultimately doom him when either petty or hack eventually comes in and plays much better than fitz.  then bowles will be left hanging in the wind by mccags when he has to answer why he didn't realize this earlier, since he watched them in practice every day.

fitz sucks but bowles will ultimately be the fall guy here, the guy who is the 'bridge hc' before they hire an offensive-minded coach to usher in a new qb era.  bowles clearly is not that guy, who admittedly is as clueless about the offense as rex was.  he's not the guy i want coaching petty and hack.

33 minutes ago, Barkus said:

LOL

13 minutes ago, jamesr said:

However, would Macc not also look like a genius for finding our QB of the future in Rd 2 / Rd 4? To me that would outweigh the whole Fitz resigning several times over.

I think the real answer to the original question is : Fitz has experience, and no upside. Petty has upside, and no experience. Coaches - especially Bowles - love experience much more than upside. Even if the result is meh.

Exactly. Seattle looked stupid for about 5 minutes after the Matt Flynn signing, but no one cared because Wilson is so good.

Archived