Offensive Line-The Week, This Year, Next Year

varjet

The Jets OL faced a tough DL in Miami yesterday.  Fitz did get beat up quite a bit, and hurt himself.  Geno is already out for the year.

The Rams have one of the better DL in football.  How is that going to work out this week?  The Jets play NEP twice, and the Dolphins and Bills (Kyle Williams) again.  Don't you think they need to stock up on the OL?  Maybe bring in Craig Watts and cut or IR a TE?

I think we all agree that deteriorated veterans should not be back next year.  But, to the extent the goal is to develop a QB, I think the OL is position group where the investment is worth it, even if in hold-the-fort type veterans.  Clady and Mangold are worth bringing back at reduced prices.  We will never know what type of QB we have if he is beaten up and injured.  

On defense, we can let Taiwan Jones, Julian Stanford, Daryl Roberts, Doug Middleton and Jeff Burriss play while Harris, Revis, Williams and Gilcrist are cut.l

Just now, varjet said:

The Jets OL faced a tough DL in Miami yesterday.  Fitz did get beat up quite a bit, and hurt himself.  Geno is already out for the year.

The Rams have one of the better DL in football.  How is that going to work out this week?  The Jets play NEP twice, and the Dolphins and Bills (Kyle Williams) again.  Don't you think they need to stock up on the OL?  Maybe bring in Craig Watts and cut or IR a TE?

I think we all agree that deteriorated veterans should not be back next year.  But, to the extent the goal is to develop a QB, I think the OL is position group where the investment is worth it, even if in hold-the-fort type veterans.  Clady and Mangold are worth bringing back at reduced prices.  We will never know what type of QB we have if he is beaten up and injured.  

On defense, we can let Taiwan Jones, Julian Stanford, Daryl Roberts, Doug Middleton and Jeff Burriss play while Harris, Revis, Williams and Gilcrist are cut.l

Here is my 5 point action plan:

1. Don't abandon the run in the 2nd half or the redzone.

2. With an emphasis on runs, setup play action roll outs, move the pocket make it easier for Petty and take advantage of his ability to throw on the run.

3. Get Enunwa involved more in the offensive gameplan.  Hell maybe give him the rock out of the backfield on some red zone carries if we need some additional punch from the 2.

4. Lets start using our TE.  He played this past week, was open numerous times, got 0 looks.  Get the TE involved, the Rams won't even gameplan for it since we don't use it.

5. Keep Gurley contained and force Keenum into mistakes with the successful 3-4 attack.  More Mauldin forcing the QB to step up in the pocket.

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

Whomever was Breno's replacement while he was on IR should be put back in. Breno should immediately be cut from the team

11 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Building an OL is a four year project.  There is no quick fix.  See Dallas and Oakland for proof.

And the sooner we start, the sooner we will get there. Assuming we have a fairly high draft pick, and we're not sold on any of the QB crop this year as being "the guy", I'd be looking at LT as priority #1. Clady is a stop gap at best, he has a short shelf-life and is an injury risk; the downsides right now outweigh the upsides.

I think we're OK at guard with Carpenter and Winters; RT needs to be fixed, either sticking with our younger guys (Qvale / Ijalana) or bringing someone in during the off season. Breno is in the same situation as Clady, more risk than reward.

We'll likely squeeze another year or two out of Mangold, and Johnson is at least getting some playing time & experience; if we had to I'd be OK with him being our starter next year, but we HAVE to get our tackles sorted out.

17 minutes ago, jamesr said:

And the sooner we start, the sooner we will get there. Assuming we have a fairly high draft pick, and we're not sold on any of the QB crop this year as being "the guy", I'd be looking at LT as priority #1. Clady is a stop gap at best, he has a short shelf-life and is an injury risk; the downsides right now outweigh the upsides.

I think we're OK at guard with Carpenter and Winters; RT needs to be fixed, either sticking with our younger guys (Qvale / Ijalana) or bringing someone in during the off season. Breno is in the same situation as Clady, more risk than reward.

We'll likely squeeze another year or two out of Mangold, and Johnson is at least getting some playing time & experience; if we had to I'd be OK with him being our starter next year, but we HAVE to get our tackles sorted out.

Cam Robinson and pocic

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

NEXT YEAR:

Ijalana is not a 'young guy'. Just saying. 

But yes, I agree. The Jets attempted to trade up for Tunsil this year. They know there is a need for an OT and I think they may go in that direction in the first round this year.

Breno is pretty much guaranteed to be cut. Ijalana I would hold onto cuz hes cheap. Qvale is young and improved. Winters, Carpenter, W.Johnson, Shell- you keep all of these guys. Mangold and Clady depends 100% on their contract status- will they take a pay cut? will they take a short term deal? will they be ok with not a lot of guaranteed money? If not, they may be cap casualties. I think in the end they will remain Jets, at least Mangold.

The Jets O-line is not in terrible shape. They just need to continue doing what they are doing- infusing it with young talent. I don't think it makes sense to 'blow it up'.

THIS YEAR 

For now, if Magold and Clady are healthy (lets say next week or the week after next) you start them, you protect your young QB (Petty), nothing changes.

THIS WEEK

This week it will probably be Ijalana, Breno on the outside, Carpenter, Winters at OG and W.Johnson at C. Just like last week. These guys have been solid as fill-ins for the injured starters, so let them do it again.      

23 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Here is my 5 point action plan:

1. Don't abandon the run in the 2nd half or the redzone.

2. With an emphasis on runs, setup play action roll outs, move the pocket make it easier for Petty and take advantage of his ability to throw on the run.

3. Get Enunwa involved more in the offensive gameplan.  Hell maybe give him the rock out of the backfield on some red zone carries if we need some additional punch from the 2.

4. Lets start using our TE.  He played this past week, was open numerous times, got 0 looks.  Get the TE involved, the Rams won't even gameplan for it since we don't use it.

5. Keep Gurley contained and force Keenum into mistakes with the successful 3-4 attack.  More Mauldin forcing the QB to step up in the pocket.

1.  You never let on how much you like a girl. Oh Debbie.....Hi.

2.  You always call the shots. Kiss me, you won't regret it.

3.  Act like wherever you are, that's the place to be.  Isn't this great!!!

4.  When ordering food you find out what she wants then order for the both of you. It's a classy move.  The lady will have the linguine in white clam sauce and a coke with no ice. 

5.  Now this is most important.  When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side 1 of Led Zeppelin 4. 

21 hours ago, jbrae said:

The team misses DBrick. He was always there

Sperm Edwards talked endless sh*t about his contract but there's something unique about a highly paid player who does his job and doesn't miss a snap for 10 seasons.  Of course Clady got hurt. He's always getting hurt. 

Durability, luck, whatever you want to call it, Brick had it and he was reliable. 

1 hour ago, darook said:

1.  You never let on how much you like a girl. Oh Debbie.....Hi.

2.  You always call the shots. Kiss me, you won't regret it.

3.  Act like wherever you are, that's the place to be.  Isn't this great!!!

4.  When ordering food you find out what she wants then order for the both of you. It's a classy move.  The lady will have the linguine in white clam sauce and a coke with no ice. 

5.  Now this is most important.  When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side 1 of Led Zeppelin 4. 

:D Mike Dammone! Great, great movie.

Archived