Mo Wilk

whodeawhodat

and then there is this lol it is man(ish) though

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mo-wilkerson-anti-role-model-zero-loyalty-jets-article-1.2866603

Muhammad Wilkerson has revealed who he really is beneath the neatly packaged public image crafted by his handlers for years. Wilkerson is many things, but here's what he is not: A leader, role model or accountable professional.

The Jets get irked by the circus allusions that have stained the better part of their history. Portraits of dysfunction are the bane of their existence. They implore anyone within earshot that the Wild Wild West days of Rex Ryan are in the rear-view mirror. No, these Jets, they insist, are different.

So, they surely must be incensed at Wilkerson's behavior, embarrassed that this "team leader" has repeatedly been late to or missed team meetings.

It was easy to lampoon Wilkerson for skipping out on an October 22 meeting in which the team had a birthday cake waiting for him, but there was a more troubling element to the story that shouldn't be underplayed. Wilkerson blew off a walkthrough before a game against the Ravens, an unacceptable and inexcusable act by every objective measure.

Wilkerson spent five minutes Wednesday doling out programmed talking points in a transparent attempt to minimize public outrage 72 hours after he ducked out of the losing locker room in silence. It was Damage Control 101 by a disingenuous guy facing a tidal wave of criticism from a fan base that finally learned what he is all about.

Between the predictable white noise — "I definitely need to do better" and "I take responsibility for my actions" — Wilkerson wouldn't reveal how often he had been late to mandatory meetings. He even claimed that there was no incident between the Ravens walkthrough and the Miami game. So why was he actually benched for the first quarter last weekend?

"That was a coach's decision," Wilkerson said.

Word on the street was that Wilkerson had celebrated his 27th birthday a bit too hard the night before the Ravens walkthrough, prompting some to wonder whether the defensive lineman's system was cocktail-free the following morning.

Even though Wilkerson had no intention of playing in that game due to a sore ankle/foot, the organization rightfully expected him to actually show up to work.

Wilkerson whined about being underpaid and underappreciated seemingly forever before finally landing his big payday this summer.

"I give my all every Sunday on the field and play with so much love and passion for the game," Wilkerson tweeted shortly after his five-year, $86 million deal became official on July 15. "I'm thankful for everything that comes my way and proud to say I'm back on the green and white for a few more years."

It was a laughable tweet in an offseason filled with laughable social media messages from this player, which included routine video clips of his rehab from offseason leg surgery. His true motivation was to give progress reports to any teams interested in trading for him.

Wilkerson's loyalty to the Jets has always been a myth. He might be from New Jersey, but he and his family were Giants fans. The Jets didn't hold a special place in his heart no matter how many times his handlers tried to spin the ol' local-boy-done-good narrative.

Wilkerson simply wanted to get paid, so Team Mo made sure to get the message out that certain clubs like the Raiders, for example, were a perfect fit. It was all so transparent.

Wilkerson got a groundswell of fan support along the way. The sirens from the pay-the-man police were deafening. I initially fell into the trap before the picture cleared up behind the scenes over the past year-and-a-half.

Muhammad Wilkerson.

Muhammad Wilkerson.

(ED MULHOLLAND/USA TODAY SPORTS)

Fans had an idealistic view of Wilkerson because he was a productive player. So, they bought No. 96 jerseys in bulk.

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice about those jerseys: Get rid of them. Donate them to Goodwill. Or just rip off the name atop the number. Wilkerson isn't worthy.

No kid should admire him. He couldn't care less any way unless you're from his hometown.

That's probably hard to digest for people who believed that Wilkerson did things the right way. The truth, however, is that he has rarely taken accountability. He typically leaves his teammates to explain tough losses, slinking away in silence.

Leaders take full responsibility for their actions. Leaders speak for others. Leaders are on the front line. Wilkerson literally slipped out the back door in the locker room in Miami.

It was a pathetic display by a player who has become the face of this team's dysfunction.

Wilkerson claimed that being late or skipping meetings altogether "won't be no issue for me" moving forward. But why didn't he get the message after he was fined and benched for the first quarter of the Giants game 11 months ago for being late to a meeting?

He predictably had no answer, so why should anyone believe or trust him now?

Wilkerson insulted and disrespected his teammates, coaches, general manager and owner, who just gave him $36.75 million in full guarantees four months ago.

There were rumblings that the Jets shopped Wilkerson before each of the past two drafts, including in a package with the Titans to land Cal quarterback Jared Goff with the No. 1 overall pick. They couldn't strike a deal with anyone, so they kept him and paid him.

He has returned the favor with a grand total of 2 ½ sacks in eight games. With "stars" like that on your team, who needs scrubs?

When Wilkerson looks in the mirror each day, it's unclear if he sees what everyone else does now.

He owes everyone, including Jets fans, a genuine apology.

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I guess Mehta and Wilk won't be BFFs anytime soon.  LOL 

That was a scathing article... more so than I have seen from Mehta in the past.

He and Man(ish) have been going at it for a while now.

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A real head coach would  have dealt with this and there never would have been problem in the first place. 

A guy wont change if he doesnt want to.  

also, I believe that he was out for the ravens game so missing the walkthrough was a total travesty.  It wasnt like the 1st team for the week was down 1. I am hoping that his leg is taking longer to heal with the pins in it and that is the reason for his poor performance.

6 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

above the chairs being kicked over in the locker room????

alleging that someone is a complete fraud is a serious character attack.  Yeah, I'd say that is much worse than knocking around the furniture at Florham park.  

58 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I blame all these types of disciplinary problems on Todd Bowles. 

May be. But with the kind of money Wilkerson is making he should be a professional every day without needing any coach to tell him that. 

Mo played well for 5 years.  He had a fantastic year before he broke his leg.

He was definitely the type of player that the Jets should have extended, so basically they did it late ignoring his injury.  No one had ever heard anything negative about him up to now.

I have no doubt that his ability to play is impaired by his conditioning and the pain resulting from his injury.  I would expect a better year next year as he further recovers and his next contract deadline approaches.

I continue to believe that the better NFL strategy is to draft smart and incentivize players to want that second big contract.  It seems that those second contracts backfire too frequently.  How did the Dolphins feel with Suh last year?

But after Woody recovers from the Trump victory party, he is going to read this article (I know he reads them-see below) and then kick himself for writing another big contract.   NFL contracts should have much more incentives built into them-trusting these guys to maintain their effort is way too uncertain.

On Woody-we summer in the same place.  On Sunday mornings during training camp, he can be found on a bench reading all of the local sport sections.  I have seen it first hand, many times.

2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

and then there is this lol it is man(ish) though

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mo-wilkerson-anti-role-model-zero-loyalty-jets-article-1.2866603

Muhammad Wilkerson has revealed who he really is beneath the neatly packaged public image crafted by his handlers for years. Wilkerson is many things, but here's what he is not: A leader, role model or accountable professional.

The Jets get irked by the circus allusions that have stained the better part of their history. Portraits of dysfunction are the bane of their existence. They implore anyone within earshot that the Wild Wild West days of Rex Ryan are in the rear-view mirror. No, these Jets, they insist, are different.

So, they surely must be incensed at Wilkerson's behavior, embarrassed that this "team leader" has repeatedly been late to or missed team meetings.

It was easy to lampoon Wilkerson for skipping out on an October 22 meeting in which the team had a birthday cake waiting for him, but there was a more troubling element to the story that shouldn't be underplayed. Wilkerson blew off a walkthrough before a game against the Ravens, an unacceptable and inexcusable act by every objective measure.

Wilkerson spent five minutes Wednesday doling out programmed talking points in a transparent attempt to minimize public outrage 72 hours after he ducked out of the losing locker room in silence. It was Damage Control 101 by a disingenuous guy facing a tidal wave of criticism from a fan base that finally learned what he is all about.

Between the predictable white noise — "I definitely need to do better" and "I take responsibility for my actions" — Wilkerson wouldn't reveal how often he had been late to mandatory meetings. He even claimed that there was no incident between the Ravens walkthrough and the Miami game. So why was he actually benched for the first quarter last weekend?

"That was a coach's decision," Wilkerson said.

Word on the street was that Wilkerson had celebrated his 27th birthday a bit too hard the night before the Ravens walkthrough, prompting some to wonder whether the defensive lineman's system was cocktail-free the following morning.

Even though Wilkerson had no intention of playing in that game due to a sore ankle/foot, the organization rightfully expected him to actually show up to work.

Wilkerson whined about being underpaid and underappreciated seemingly forever before finally landing his big payday this summer.

"I give my all every Sunday on the field and play with so much love and passion for the game," Wilkerson tweeted shortly after his five-year, $86 million deal became official on July 15. "I'm thankful for everything that comes my way and proud to say I'm back on the green and white for a few more years."

It was a laughable tweet in an offseason filled with laughable social media messages from this player, which included routine video clips of his rehab from offseason leg surgery. His true motivation was to give progress reports to any teams interested in trading for him.

Wilkerson's loyalty to the Jets has always been a myth. He might be from New Jersey, but he and his family were Giants fans. The Jets didn't hold a special place in his heart no matter how many times his handlers tried to spin the ol' local-boy-done-good narrative.

Wilkerson simply wanted to get paid, so Team Mo made sure to get the message out that certain clubs like the Raiders, for example, were a perfect fit. It was all so transparent.

Wilkerson got a groundswell of fan support along the way. The sirens from the pay-the-man police were deafening. I initially fell into the trap before the picture cleared up behind the scenes over the past year-and-a-half.

Muhammad Wilkerson.

Muhammad Wilkerson.

(ED MULHOLLAND/USA TODAY SPORTS)

Fans had an idealistic view of Wilkerson because he was a productive player. So, they bought No. 96 jerseys in bulk.

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice about those jerseys: Get rid of them. Donate them to Goodwill. Or just rip off the name atop the number. Wilkerson isn't worthy.

No kid should admire him. He couldn't care less any way unless you're from his hometown.

That's probably hard to digest for people who believed that Wilkerson did things the right way. The truth, however, is that he has rarely taken accountability. He typically leaves his teammates to explain tough losses, slinking away in silence.

Leaders take full responsibility for their actions. Leaders speak for others. Leaders are on the front line. Wilkerson literally slipped out the back door in the locker room in Miami.

It was a pathetic display by a player who has become the face of this team's dysfunction.

Wilkerson claimed that being late or skipping meetings altogether "won't be no issue for me" moving forward. But why didn't he get the message after he was fined and benched for the first quarter of the Giants game 11 months ago for being late to a meeting?

He predictably had no answer, so why should anyone believe or trust him now?

Wilkerson insulted and disrespected his teammates, coaches, general manager and owner, who just gave him $36.75 million in full guarantees four months ago.

There were rumblings that the Jets shopped Wilkerson before each of the past two drafts, including in a package with the Titans to land Cal quarterback Jared Goff with the No. 1 overall pick. They couldn't strike a deal with anyone, so they kept him and paid him.

He has returned the favor with a grand total of 2 ½ sacks in eight games. With "stars" like that on your team, who needs scrubs?

When Wilkerson looks in the mirror each day, it's unclear if he sees what everyone else does now.

He owes everyone, including Jets fans, a genuine apology.

Holy crap, that is a scathing assessment. I am (or was?) a huge fan of Wilk, but he needs to be blasted like this. **** him. And **** Revis too.  

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mo played well for 5 years.  He had a fantastic year before he broke his leg.

He was definitely the type of player that the Jets should have extended, so basically they did it late ignoring his injury.  No one had ever heard anything negative about him up to now.

I have no doubt that his ability to play is impaired by his conditioning and the pain resulting from his injury.  I would expect a better year next year as he further recovers and his next contract deadline approaches.

I continue to believe that the better NFL strategy is to draft smart and incentivize players to want that second big contract.  It seems that those second contracts backfire too frequently.  How did the Dolphins feel with Suh last year?

But after Woody recovers from the Trump victory party, he is going to read this article (I know he reads them-see below) and then kick himself for writing another big contract.   NFL contracts should have much more incentives built into them-trusting these guys to maintain their effort is way too uncertain.

On Woody-we summer in the same place.  On Sunday mornings during training camp, he can be found on a bench reading all of the local sport sections.  I have seen it first hand, many times.

I think we are seeing first hand, the results of giving any of these players guaranteed money. It is a free pass to not give a sh*t anymore. 

The Pats pay the right people.  It's very different.  For instance two years ago they payed Marcus Cannon 3-4 million a year.  Here was a backup RT who had played terribly whenever he was called on, routinely giving up numerous sacks.  Fans hated him.  Media hated him.  How could BB pay this scrub that much money.

Last year he was terrible, and basically cost the Pats a SB.  However it later emerged that he was playing with an injury most of the year.

This year though, he is considered one of the better RTs in the league and a total bargain at that price.  In other words the Pats staff did indeed evaluate him properly, and despite lots of media bs and the fact that he hadn't shown anything in game, he was still considered valuable.

Meanwhile media binkies like Collins and Jones are shown the door or demoted, despite being very popular and having insane stats to show for it.

WHat this tells me is the Pats are in the business of making actual Football decisions, and not this whole media invented bs that surrounds so called dominant players and how much they are or aren't worth.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Pats would have never paid this guy.  Like Chandler Jones, he would have been gone in a heartbeat.  I guess thats why they are them and we are us.

Do you trade Sheldon sometime between now & next season for a 3rd round pick ?

42 minutes ago, Hael said:

The Pats pay the right people.  It's very different.  For instance two years ago they payed Marcus Cannon 3-4 million a year.  Here was a backup RT who had played terribly whenever he was called on, routinely giving up numerous sacks.  Fans hated him.  Media hated him.  How could BB pay this scrub that much money.

Last year he was terrible, and basically cost the Pats a SB.  However it later emerged that he was playing with an injury most of the year.

This year though, he is considered one of the better RTs in the league and a total bargain at that price.  In other words the Pats staff did indeed evaluate him properly, and despite lots of media bs and the fact that he hadn't shown anything in game, he was still considered valuable.

Meanwhile media binkies like Collins and Jones are shown the door or demoted, despite being very popular and having insane stats to show for it.

WHat this tells me is the Pats are in the business of making actual Football decisions, and not this whole media invented bs that surrounds so called dominant players and how much they are or aren't worth.

I'm not going to give them credit for OL decisions while Brady is still playing like Brady ... And getting the ball out & where it's supposed to be in 2.5 seconds

The point is people get very attached to name recognition and history.  The Pats don't.  What matters is how u practise and what u show in the now.  That's why an undrafted FA cornerback who had practiced well is inserted into the lineup in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl, and conversely one of the so called best lbs in the league is demoted to a 3rd down player.

makes no sense to fans or the media, but I guarentee that it does to football coaches.  Of course,  Bowles doesn't have the freedom to say bench Wilkerson for extended durations.  He has to deal with Woody and his GM.  That's the difference.  He can't always make pure football decisions.

Wilkerson has gotten a pass as long as he's been here, while Richardson has caught all the sh*t.  But Wilkerson is probably worse than Richardson.  He flipped a car (and there's a good possibility that he was drunk at the time) during one off season, he's always taken plays off, he misses and/or is late for meetings, and isn't much of a leader.  

At least Richardson plays hard and cares about winning.  He's just immature.  

9 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I think we are seeing first hand, the results of giving any of these players guaranteed money. It is a free pass to not give a sh*t anymore. 

9FB746AD-CBED-46ED-988D-7E15D88789AD_zps

Darrelle Revis taught him how to look just good enough to get overpaid, Rex Ryan showed him how lazy people can extend their careers.

Character Guys Matter.

SAR I

Archived