I think it will be Petty on Sunday

Joe W. Namath

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Fitz is a game time decision.  That tells me then want to keep the rams guessing but it will be petty.  If it was fitz, they would just announce it.

its time fellas.  Sunday just became a big game.

Right.  They do not have to game plan for Fitz. Every team knows him.  Just go nose up on the wideouts and ignore the deep ball.

What if it is Petty and he gets hurt? Is Fitz well enough to be the backup? Can't see how if this is truly "a game time decision", not that I am against Petty starting, I absolutely am not, in fact if he plays that will be the only reason for any of us to watch. I don't know about you guys, but I have already had enough of Todd Bowltite and the Harvard Interception machine.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Fitz is a game time decision.  That tells me then want to keep the rams guessing but it will be petty.  If it was fitz, they would just announce it.

Unless he's a game time decision, right?

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ha surely you jest.

Fitz is a Vampire!!

Fitz will cut off his leg tonight, knowing that his leg will grow back by tomorrow night and he will be ready for Sunday!!! :)

On a serious note it is statements like these that make me like Petty.

This is what Petty said after practice today:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Friday-Notes-Fitzpatrick-a-Game-Time-Decision-/846c5a1f-b1be-462e-ac35-0fadf621c32a
“I’m having blast where I’m at right now and if it happens, great, I’ll be ready to take over and produce,” Petty said. “I think that’s the biggest thing because there’s only one out there. It’s hard to feel like you’ve contributed so it would be nice to step up when the team needs me and do what we need to do there.”

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, it's an elaborate plot to make everyone think it's to keep the Rams guessing and give the Jets the edge but it's actually because Bowles prefers Fitzpatrick and can't let go because he's in so much pain.

Or, I don't know, maybe Fitzpatrick's knee is in a brace and it's getting a little better each day and they are going to see how he feels in the pregame warmups.

SAR I

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

MCL injuries can be 1 month affairs. Fitz is probably missing this game. 

Well that certainly will make the contest more interesting, I was thinking I would get my first beer ever at a Jets game this Sunday, if Petty starts I will not.

SAR I

40 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I was watching some tape on Petty and he has one of the best arms I've seen recently.  It's such a shock to see deep passes in stride, after 1.5 years of floating ducks.  I think they start Fitz, but I'm not sure he lasts too long.  

Missing from his "I'm having a blast" comments are any "well I'm still learning, but it's coming along and I feel I'm getting better every week." In other words, nothing to suggest admissions of struggling in practice himself, while playing 2nd fiddle to a truly bad QB.

Sure, it can just be naive/youthful bravado. In general, though, a guy screwing up opportunities in practice, when there's only a hobbled, struggling, lame duck starter ahead of him, and widespread fan support to put him out there, doesn't typically sound this upbeat. I infer from this that he is doing ok (at worst) in practice...or that he is making the most of enjoying his last stint as high as #2 on an NFL depth chart.

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Missing from his "I'm having a blast" comments are any "well I'm still learning, but it's coming along and I feel I'm getting better every week." In other words, nothing to suggest admissions of struggling in practice himself, while playing 2nd fiddle to a truly bad QB.

Sure, it can just be naive/youthful bravado. In general, though, a guy screwing up opportunities in practice, when there's only a hobbled, struggling, lame duck starter ahead of him, and widespread fan support to put him out there, doesn't typically sound this upbeat. I infer from this that he is doing ok (at worst) in practice...or that he is making the most of enjoying his last stint as high as #2 on an NFL depth chart.

I'm not sure how to react with practices because honestly I don't trust most of the reporters.  Most of them earn pay based on the amount of clicks they can generate (probably the biggest reason ESPN went from my No. 1 option for any sport to an afterthought) so I'm not sure how to decipher the truth vs. controversy stirring option.  Unfortunately, in this case, Todd Bolwes hasn't exactly shown to be the brightest nut either, so there is really nothing that I find trustworthy.  

I was doing some scouting on WRs in this draft (although I don't expect us to take part in it, I wanted to do a top 10 guys in the draft one for each position) and came upon KD Cannon.  And I remember Petty used him a lot in the MSU game they lost with the big lead, which made me go back and watch some Petty film.  He has a really good ability to get the ball out quick and on target.  I believe it was against Oklahoma, where the defense essentially backed out about 10 yards on almost every play, and dropped people off the line.  And Petty just took the pass and threw darts for 6 yards on each play all the way down the field.  This is actually something that Hackenberg struggles with, but Petty just kept firing before they could do anything about it.  Usually, QBs tend to be inaccurate if they can't get a great feel for the pass in quick passing schemes, but he showed no problem at all.  

Another one was that, he was consistently throwing the ball across the hash, which of course is much bigger in college.  And the deep passes, were really crisp.  I saw about two games, and I saw one badly thrown deep ball and it's arguable that it could have been caught (the ball faded).  Really quick decision making and throws as well.

I didn't include Petty in last week's film breakdown because it was just 2 throws, with one being a screen pass.  However, I thought the pass to Anderson was the right pass in the face of pressure.  Anderson had an open shot at getting the first down, and other options were covered.  He found the open guy and gave him a shot, but Anderson got tackled.  

I'd be excited to see if he starts this week because I think his arm is the best we've had since a healthy Favre.  Although it's mainly the mental aspect with him because the spread was so easy for him down at Baylor.  If he has learned anything under Gailey and the whole system, he could end up being a surprise because physically he seems to be a prototypical passer.   He's quick with the short passes, quick trigger, generally accurate, and great arm.  He even moves outside the pocket somewhat.  

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'm sure the ram defense is terrified of which ever QB we trot out there, yeah keep them guessing.

The Rams D are probably more terrified by whatever QB their own team plays. :D

This could be the sort of game where both teams struggle to out-suck the other. 0-0 tie anyone??

Archived