2017 needs

nylarry

Time to rebuild in 2017. Needs?

1. Frtiz wont be back next season, so we need a new qb

2 New special teams coach, one of the worst parts of the team

3 2 new Offensive tackles  Clady is done. I would cut him now

4 A cornerback and a pure free safety, Revis is done at CB, and would only bring him back as a safety in 2017

5 Linebacker speed is still suspect, Lee is presently hurt, bring in another linebacker

6 A new tight end, a need we have had for the last 10 years, LOL

1.  I'm going out on huge limb here and say Petty is the answer at QB for the foreseeable future.  I do not think we will get anyone better to start next season.  Would not be apposed to bringing in cheap FA QB for next season for competition purpose.  With that said i would pass on drafting another QB unless Petty bombs this season when he takes over for Fitz.

2.  1st in draft should be BPA on team like this with exception of DL unless they can trade away mo or richardson.  This year draft will not have another Leo so hopefully BPA aligns with either OT (cam Robinson) or one of the stud CB.

3.  2nd round on we need a C (pocic), CB if not taken in r1 , OT if not taken in r1, RB, MLB.

4.  I think we try to get 1 more year out of Harris, Mangold, and yes Revis if reduced salary unless we can replace any or all of them via FA

Well.. this is depressing.

QB - Let's pretend things go right for this franchise for once, and either Petty or Hack can provide decent QB play. We'll at the very least need to bring in a cheap vet backup. But back to reality, more than likely this team makes a run at Romo or Cutler. Bleh.

RB - Forte and Powell are here in 2017. I don't anything more than late round pick invested here

WR - set for the foreseeable future, even if they decide to trade Marshall or Decker

OL - Mangold could be a cap casualty. Is Wesley Johnson the answer? Winters is a FA. Clady will be gone. Breno should be cut. That leaves Carpender Qvale and Ijalana. I think it's safe to say an OT will be drafted high. I do hope they bring Winters back

TE - hahaha

D-Line - Assume Richardson gets dealt. We're still okay

LB - I think the talent is there between Lee Jenkins and Mauldin. Harris probably sticks as the QB of the defense

CB - A disaster. Revis cut. Skrine should be cut. Williams looks like garbage. Looks like a place to invest in FA and in the draft

S - Pryor and Gilcrest have both taken big steps back this year- why? While an upgrade would be nice in '17, there's bigger fish to fry.

4 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

QB - Let's pretend things go right for this franchise for once, and either Petty or Hack can provide decent QB play. We'll at the very least need to bring in a cheap vet backup. But back to reality, more than likely this team makes a run at Romo or Cutler. Bleh.

RB - Forte and Powell are here in 2017. I don't anything more than late round pick invested here

WR - set for the foreseeable future, even if they decide to trade Marshall or Decker

OL - Mangold could be a cap casualty. Is Wesley Johnson the answer? Winters is a FA. Clady will be gone. Breno should be cut. That leaves Carpender Qvale and Ijalana. I think it's safe to say an OT will be drafted high. I do hope they bring Winters back

TE - hahaha

LB - I think the talent is there between Lee Jenkins and Mauldin. Harris probably sticks as the QB of the defense

CB - A disaster. Revis cut. Skrine should be cut. Williams looks like garbage. Looks like a place to invest in FA and in the draft

S - Pryor and Gilcrest have both taken big steps back this year- why? While an upgrade would be nice in '17, there's bigger fish to fry.

Everyone a believer in Mauldin. Meh. 

5 hours ago, nylarry said:

Time to rebuild in 2017. Needs?

1. Frtiz wont be back next season, so we need a new qb

How do we know that before we see Petty play.  Or Hack's development in the coming offseason?  We may need a QB, I reject that we need another recycled Veteran.  Especially with Coach "I love me some Vets" Bowles here.  The temptation to sit the kids and play the old nobody would be too strong for him.  He must be denied that chance.

2 New special teams coach, one of the worst parts of the team

Improvement of Specials would be good. They cost us three wins thus far this year.

3 2 new Offensive tackles  Clady is done. I would cut him now

Agreed.  

4 A cornerback and a pure free safety, Revis is done at CB, and would only bring him back as a safety in 2017

Cornerback definitely.  Skrine is horrible, Revis barely adequate.

5 Linebacker speed is still suspect, Lee is presently hurt, bring in another linebacker

Not worried about LB that much.

6 A new tight end, a need we have had for the last 10 years, LOL

TE is 100% irrelevant in a Chan-run offense.  If Chan is retained, this is not a need.

Enunwa fills this role in the passing game.

What you left out is Running Back.  Forte is dogsh*t, his numbers a phantom a quality.  He is useless to this offense, ineffective in the red zone, and generally not the RB this team needs.  He must be replaced.

5 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

Everyone a believer in Mauldin. Meh. 

The right head coach and defensive coordinator fix the problems the right GM signs or drafts quality LB's we need to change drastically in this department we need to get faster, stronger and improve cover skills, 

Besides QB, because that's always a need:

OL: We're set at guard and at center with backup because Wes hasn't been bad. Tackles will be key. Sign on in FA and draft one

RB: not necessary but maybe worth a look.

TE: same as RB

LB: Continue to acquire speed. IMO very few linebackers can cover these new TEs.

CBs. Biggest area of need outside of OL and QB. Draft one.

S: Move Revis to S and cut either Pryor or Gilchrist

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Besides QB, because that's always a need:

OL: We're set at guard and at center with backup because Wes hasn't been bad. Tackles will be key. Sign on in FA and draft one

RB: not necessary but maybe worth a look.

TE: same as RB

LB: Continue to acquire speed. IMO very few linebackers can cover these new TEs.

CBs. Biggest area of need outside of OL and QB. Draft one.

S: Move Revis to S and cut either Pryor or Gilchrist

Revis absolutely has to be moved to FS next season.  I think Gilchrist is out

1- No Fitz or Geno next year, which means we'll only have Petty and Hack. A cheap, vet QB would be nice (Brian Hoyer seems a good fit)

2- Clady and Breno suck, Mangold should be released so that he has a chance to win before his career ends (and because there's no point in paying $10M to a Center on a rebuilding team), and Carpenter and Winters are decent. We need as many talented OT's as we can get over the next couple years. 

3- The entire secondary is a disaster. They can all be cut and replaced with practice squad players, and I think we'd see the same level of production. Arizona has one of the best secondaries in the league, we need to model our search for replacements based on their formula. It's obviously worked quite well.

4- We need linebackers across the board. Lee isn't going anywhere because we just got him and used a 1st on him, but none of our LB's (Lee included) are anything special. Mauldin and Jenkins can stick around because they're cheap and serviceable, but this is obviously a huge area of need. Younger, Faster, Better. 

5- Not sure if ASJ is under contract for next year, and I don't feel like looking it up, but if he is, I'm fine with him. We won't be competing for a few years, no point in spending important money/picks on a TE immediately. Maybe in 2018, but not this year. Sorry, I just don't feel it's an important enough position.

6- RB is okay as it is, I think the sh*tty OL makes them look worse than they really are. They're both signed for next year anyways, just leave this one until 2018 as well.

7- WR's are okay after Marshall and Decker, both of which are under contract next season as well. I like Enunwa, I feel like Jalin has potential, and as much as I hate Smith, he hasn't had much of a chance yet due to injuries. I think we're fine at WR, unless we are able to trade Decker and/or Marshall (not like we're gonna win next year anyways), which would then put us in position to draft one in the top 3 rounds to hopefully develop over next year or 2. 

8- The DL is easily the best position group on the team, and will continue to be even if we deal 1 of Sheldon/Wilkerson (wouldn't be opposed to trading both, tbh). I'm always okay with using a late round pick to grab potential impact players on the DL, this seems to be a good area to take chances on 1 year wonders or combine warriors. You never know...

So, in essence, I think we need to spend all of our early draft picks improving the OL, DB, and LB groups. A couple late picks on a TE with good blocking skills, a speedy RB with no injury concerns that maybe we get lucky with (hey, the rest of the NFL seems to be able to find late round RB's), or a DL that blew up the combine out of nowhere...

Trade anyone we can (other than Williams), cut everyone taking up large amounts of money that have no trade value and won't hurt the cap, and get the roster cleared out for 2018 and beyond. We all know 2017 will suck ass, lets just get it on with and quit delaying the inevitable. 

16 minutes ago, jwill182 said:

1- No Fitz or Geno next year, which means we'll only have Petty and Hack. A cheap, vet QB would be nice (Brian Hoyer seems a good fit)

2- Clady and Breno suck, Mangold should be released so that he has a chance to win before his career ends (and because there's no point in paying $10M to a Center on a rebuilding team), and Carpenter and Winters are decent. We need as many talented OT's as we can get over the next couple years. 

3- The entire secondary is a disaster. They can all be cut and replaced with practice squad players, and I think we'd see the same level of production. Arizona has one of the best secondaries in the league, we need to model our search for replacements based on their formula. It's obviously worked quite well.

4- We need linebackers across the board. Lee isn't going anywhere because we just got him and used a 1st on him, but none of our LB's (Lee included) are anything special. Mauldin and Jenkins can stick around because they're cheap and serviceable, but this is obviously a huge area of need. Younger, Faster, Better. 

5- Not sure if ASJ is under contract for next year, and I don't feel like looking it up, but if he is, I'm fine with him. We won't be competing for a few years, no point in spending important money/picks on a TE immediately. Maybe in 2018, but not this year. Sorry, I just don't feel it's an important enough position.

6- RB is okay as it is, I think the sh*tty OL makes them look worse than they really are. They're both signed for next year anyways, just leave this one until 2018 as well.

7- WR's are okay after Marshall and Decker, both of which are under contract next season as well. I like Enunwa, I feel like Jalin has potential, and as much as I hate Smith, he hasn't had much of a chance yet due to injuries. I think we're fine at WR, unless we are able to trade Decker and/or Marshall (not like we're gonna win next year anyways), which would then put us in position to draft one in the top 3 rounds to hopefully develop over next year or 2. 

8- The DL is easily the best position group on the team, and will continue to be even if we deal 1 of Sheldon/Wilkerson (wouldn't be opposed to trading both, tbh). I'm always okay with using a late round pick to grab potential impact players on the DL, this seems to be a good area to take chances on 1 year wonders or combine warriors. You never know...

So, in essence, I think we need to spend all of our early draft picks improving the OL, DB, and LB groups. A couple late picks on a TE with good blocking skills, a speedy RB with no injury concerns that maybe we get lucky with (hey, the rest of the NFL seems to be able to find late round RB's), or a DL that blew up the combine out of nowhere...

Trade anyone we can (other than Williams), cut everyone taking up large amounts of money that have no trade value and won't hurt the cap, and get the roster cleared out for 2018 and beyond. We all know 2017 will suck ass, lets just get it on with and quit delaying the inevitable. 

Tremendous post. I totally agree up and down the line:

1 - This regime is too scared to go into next season with 2 young QB's and nobody else. Part of me wants to believe the romantic reason why they would not play the young guys, that being they are afraid that Petty will light it up and the fans will scream WTF took you idiots so long to play this guy which will make them look incompetent. The real reason I believe is they are trying to win as many games as possible to save their own asses and actually believe the Harvard Interception machine gives them the best chance to win, which by the way, also makes them look incompetent.

2 - I applauded Mac for being able to pull a trade for what I thought was a top LT after DB retired. Clady just did/does not have it anymore, what are you gonna do? Can't kill Mac for that move.

3- The Tertiary has to be a major priority in the off season for this defense to improve, although if our supposed great front line would ever get to the QB, maybe that would have helped what was/is a slow, older bunch of overpaid guys.

4 - LB - We need Lb'ers so Todd Bowltite - defensive genius BTW, can continue to send Calvin Pryor or Old Man Harris to cover the opposing TE.

5 - ASJ is very talented. If he keeps his act together, he could be an absolute rock at TE for years. AS the post said, no need to bother with that in the near future.

6 - RB - See Dallas - I wanted Ezekiel so bad but Dallas grabbed him. Not a priority, but more offensive speed is never a bad thing.

7 - We have the makings of a good young WR corps and due to numbers, no need to address at this time

8 - The DL, my personal favorite part of questioning this teams heart and passion. I hope Mac trades Richardson, Mo asap. He made a huge mistake resigning Mo to such a large contract for a guy that just does not care. But none of them do. Leonard is the only DL man who actually showed up and busted it every game. The rest of them can take a hike. They suck and can never get to the opposing QB. Good RB's always run for over 100 yards, they are so easy to throw on, that is why their rushing stats are at the top of the league and VERY misleading.

Needs:
qb, oline, te, rb, lbs, corners, safety, coach.

Mostly agree I don't think te is a huge need I think enunwa though labeled a wr fills that role pretty well and I am hopeful we can get something out of asj. Im hoping we wind up drafting Chubb as our rb he stepped up big when gurly for injured unfortunately I think we would need to spend a 2nd rounder to land him and we have some other major needs that need to be adressed early in the draft

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Just now, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Get ready for a CB picked in the first round. There are no QB's in the coming draft that are franchise guys. Maybe they go for Fournette. But not with Bowles as HC. Jets are screwed for at least another year at QB. Nothing really great out there.

Jabril Peppers would be an interesting player because he could be a LB that can cover.

Fournette's an option. Trade down

6 hours ago, shuler82 said:

TE - hahaha

qb - hack probably isnt the answer. neither is romo or cutler. 

rb - forte is toast. next year he will be burnt toast. 

ol - needs on the o-line are everywhere

te - yeah exactl we have sucked here since i can remember

cb - yeah we are ****ed. revis should be a safety at this point

35 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

It's much easier to list what we do not need:

WR, OG, DL, LB, kicker, punter, OC, and errr, that's about it.    

I wouldn't put OG on that list. They could certainly use an upgrade at RG. Linebacker needs a look too. Henderson is likely gone and Harris will be released.  That leaves the tiny LBer as the only inside guy. Stanford has been okay, but he's not a starter. Also, they still need a pass rusher on the outside. The OLBs on this team need to start getting it soon. 

Archived