J.T Barrett

joewilly12

On 11/13/2016 at 7:32 PM, win4ever said:

No way, probably one of the worst QB prospects I've seen from a major college.  Even Tebow was better than this guy.  I don't think there is a chance he even plays QB in the NFL, I see a position change for him at best.  

What QBs do you like from future classes (i.e. 2017, 2018, etc.)? I'm not crazy about the current class. 

10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

What QBs do you like from future classes (i.e. 2017, 2018, etc.)? I'm not crazy about the current class. 

I like Watson in this one, but he's showing some red flags this year.  I really liked him last year, mainly because he was excellent with ball placement.  He had a penchant for rainbow throws that I really liked, along with good accuracy, and mobility.  He has a good arm as well, although it's not great.  I think when it's all said and done, he goes in the top 2.   I'm a little worried as to why he's regressing this year.  He seemed to do a much better job last year of going through his reads, even in the spread.   

2018 to me is a gold mine of QBs, with at least 4 (assuming they all come out) that I think can be franchise guys.  

Josh Rosen- Obviously, very hyped and everyone loves him as a pro style guy.  In the Luck range with scout's opinions, although would like to see him recover from the injuries.  Pretty much a lock for a top 3 pick IMO, and really the only way he even drops is if the other guys on the QB list fit better into some team.  Pretty much everything you want from a pro style QB, very good arm, good play recognition, progression, etc

Lamar Jackson- He's pretty much Michael Vick in college.  He's a run first, throw second guy, and he needs to improve his throwing skills more.  The running skills are great, and he does throw a good deep pass.  It's a spread system, and Petrino is a great offensive coach, so some of the numbers are inflated.  I believe the last Petrino QB to get good hype was Brian Bohm, and he didn't turn out good.  On pure physical ability, I think he's the top choice, it's just a matter of how comfortable people feel about the system.  He's not another Manziel type, much much better runner and passer.  He needs to improve on the in pocket passing next year though.   

Jake Browning- He's hyped now because Washington is in the national spotlight.  He doesn't have the great arm strength, it's merely good, but he's very accurate.  He seems to go through progressions well, and one of those guys that seems to elevate everyone around him.  That whole Washington offense revolves around him and his ability to distribute the ball.  On a production basis, I think he outdoes Rosen, but doesn't have quite the upside.  I see him as a very safe option though, because I see Chad Pennington with a stronger arm.  

Brett Ryipen- He has a great arm, and is fairly accurate as well.  He plays with the least amount of talent around him for this top 4, but he has enormous potential.   On tape at least, he looks familiar to Derek Carr with very good downfield throwing ability.  He might be a bit under-sized though, which might be the biggest fault with him.

Anyone of these 4, I think could be franchise guys.  Obviously, each would have areas to improve on next year.  Rosen needs to prove he's healthy, and get better against pressure.  Jackson needs to show better skills in the pocket, instead of being like Vick and looking to run because he can.  Browning will lose his top receiver this year, so it'll be interesting to see how he adjusts.  Ryipen needs to show progression with his accuracy, as well as put on a few pounds.  

I think for once, the Jets are actually set up perfectly for the 2018 draft.   Petty for the rest of this year should give a clue as to what he is.  Go into next year with Petty/Hack as the competition for starting.  If either one of them is good, then problem solved.  If they are bad, then we'll be bad enough to pick high enough for one of these guys.  Ryipen is a bit of a personal favorite of mine just from watching tapes, so I'm not sure if he's going to be that highly regarded next year at the draft.  The other 3, I think are all but locks for the top 5.  

19 hours ago, win4ever said:

I like Watson in this one, but he's showing some red flags this year.  I really liked him last year, mainly because he was excellent with ball placement.  He had a penchant for rainbow throws that I really liked, along with good accuracy, and mobility.  He has a good arm as well, although it's not great.  I think when it's all said and done, he goes in the top 2.   I'm a little worried as to why he's regressing this year.  He seemed to do a much better job last year of going through his reads, even in the spread.   

2018 to me is a gold mine of QBs, with at least 4 (assuming they all come out) that I think can be franchise guys.  

Josh Rosen- Obviously, very hyped and everyone loves him as a pro style guy.  In the Luck range with scout's opinions, although would like to see him recover from the injuries.  Pretty much a lock for a top 3 pick IMO, and really the only way he even drops is if the other guys on the QB list fit better into some team.  Pretty much everything you want from a pro style QB, very good arm, good play recognition, progression, etc

Lamar Jackson- He's pretty much Michael Vick in college.  He's a run first, throw second guy, and he needs to improve his throwing skills more.  The running skills are great, and he does throw a good deep pass.  It's a spread system, and Petrino is a great offensive coach, so some of the numbers are inflated.  I believe the last Petrino QB to get good hype was Brian Bohm, and he didn't turn out good.  On pure physical ability, I think he's the top choice, it's just a matter of how comfortable people feel about the system.  He's not another Manziel type, much much better runner and passer.  He needs to improve on the in pocket passing next year though.   

Jake Browning- He's hyped now because Washington is in the national spotlight.  He doesn't have the great arm strength, it's merely good, but he's very accurate.  He seems to go through progressions well, and one of those guys that seems to elevate everyone around him.  That whole Washington offense revolves around him and his ability to distribute the ball.  On a production basis, I think he outdoes Rosen, but doesn't have quite the upside.  I see him as a very safe option though, because I see Chad Pennington with a stronger arm.  

Brett Ryipen- He has a great arm, and is fairly accurate as well.  He plays with the least amount of talent around him for this top 4, but he has enormous potential.   On tape at least, he looks familiar to Derek Carr with very good downfield throwing ability.  He might be a bit under-sized though, which might be the biggest fault with him.

Anyone of these 4, I think could be franchise guys.  Obviously, each would have areas to improve on next year.  Rosen needs to prove he's healthy, and get better against pressure.  Jackson needs to show better skills in the pocket, instead of being like Vick and looking to run because he can.  Browning will lose his top receiver this year, so it'll be interesting to see how he adjusts.  Ryipen needs to show progression with his accuracy, as well as put on a few pounds.  

I think for once, the Jets are actually set up perfectly for the 2018 draft.   Petty for the rest of this year should give a clue as to what he is.  Go into next year with Petty/Hack as the competition for starting.  If either one of them is good, then problem solved.  If they are bad, then we'll be bad enough to pick high enough for one of these guys.  Ryipen is a bit of a personal favorite of mine just from watching tapes, so I'm not sure if he's going to be that highly regarded next year at the draft.  The other 3, I think are all but locks for the top 5.  

I could not agree more. I think it is going to be a tough 2 year stretch for us as fans (unless Petty or Hack are legit), but, in the long run, I think its in the franchises's best interests. 

8 hours ago, maury77 said:

I could not agree more. I think it is going to be a tough 2 year stretch for us as fans (unless Petty or Hack are legit), but, in the long run, I think its in the franchises's best interests. 

Yeah, that's really the only silver lining for us right now, so of course they will find a way to screw it up.  Usually, when we need a QB, it's a horrible class.  In this case, everything points to a loaded class as long as they all declare, so I want to avoid the QB high in this draft and see what we have in Petty/Hack.  

I think this draft has to deal with OL/RB/CB as the biggest needs, maybe LB.  

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, that's really the only silver lining for us right now, so of course they will find a way to screw it up.  Usually, when we need a QB, it's a horrible class.  In this case, everything points to a loaded class as long as they all declare, so I want to avoid the QB high in this draft and see what we have in Petty/Hack.  

I think this draft has to deal with OL/RB/CB as the biggest needs, maybe LB.  

Agreed again. It's a very good class for RB, CB and LB, but unfortunately, it doesn't look great for OL, especially tackle. 

On 11/13/2016 at 7:32 PM, win4ever said:

No way, probably one of the worst QB prospects I've seen from a major college.  Even Tebow was better than this guy.  I don't think there is a chance he even plays QB in the NFL, I see a position change for him at best.  

Not sure I would go this far, but he has a tendency to lay an egg when we really need him, sadly could be a great fit for the Jets considering the last 10 years of QB play :)

Agree he might not make the transition to an NFL QB - but he will get his chance to make a statement in the next 2 hopefully 5 games 

4 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Not sure I would go this far, but he has a tendency to lay an egg when we really need him, sadly could be a great fit for the Jets considering the last 10 years of QB play :)

Agree he might not make the transition to an NFL QB - but he will get his chance to make a statement in the next 2 hopefully 5 games 

Forget the so called sure thing guys I think Barrett is the best QB in the draft. 

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Lol, i'm a Michigan fan, so I hope not!  Although we just lost our QB, so I guess no point in holding out much hope.

I think he's a very good college QB, reminds me of a bigger Tyron Boykin from last year.  Great college guy, but just doesn't throw well enough to be an NFL QB.  I think he's going to be great the next few games though, that system is perfect for him.  

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

Lol, i'm a Michigan fan, so I hope not!  Although we just lost our QB, so I guess no point in holding out much hope.

I think he's a very good college QB, reminds me of a bigger Tyron Boykin from last year.  Great college guy, but just doesn't throw well enough to be an NFL QB.  I think he's going to be great the next few games though, that system is perfect for him.  

I've been following Michigan this year (Jabrill Peppers and Gary both went to my high school). Its really impressive how fast Harbaugh has rejuvenated that program. 

10 hours ago, maury77 said:

I've been following Michigan this year (Jabrill Peppers and Gary both went to my high school). Its really impressive how fast Harbaugh has rejuvenated that program. 

Honestly, I'm surprised, I thought this year was going to be the last of the rebuilding phase, especially because Hoke lost a good amount of recruits, in his last year or so.  He's a great recruiter and motivator so it'll be interesting to see how they go.  I know they landed Dylan McCaffery, the brother of Christian, as an elite QB recruit (although I'm not sure if he'll red shirt) and I think he fits in very well in the system so definitely looking forward to that.  I think the biggest surprise is that, Harbough turned around the program without a stud QB, as neither Rudock or Speights are anything special.  

I remember Peppers recruitment because he was a big time star, and thinking he was a great guy because he was involved in recruiting other guys to the team.  I was excited for Derek Green as well, but he fell through.  I wonder if a team moves Peppers to safety, because he can play all over the spot, and make it real hard for teams to guess his role on a play.  If he lines up in the box, he can be an in the box safety, a coverage LB, a blitzing LB, or a slot CB without much drop off.  

He's one guy I want to do a scouting report on, if they ever made the All 22 available.   

On 11/14/2016 at 11:35 PM, win4ever said:

If neither of our young guns pan out than all I want is Rosen or Browning.

I don't trust a single QB in this draft and would rather skip the position all together.

49 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If neither of our young guns pan out than all I want is Rosen or Browning.

I don't trust a single QB in this draft and would rather skip the position all together.

I think they are going to skip the spot unless something like what happened to Geno occurs and Watson drops to the second.  

When I first started looking at them, I wasn't that high on Browning, but he just keeps growing on me.  He shows good progression, adequate mobility, good but not great arm, and he really spreads the ball around.  

Although, I might be over-thinking this, but I have a concern with Milke Williams and Watson.  Is he forced to throw to Williams more often because they need to build up his draft stock?  I saw tapes from his last year, where they didn't have a clear cut No. 1, it was Scott, Cain, Peake, Legget, and Renfroe, and he seemed to do a much better job at going through progressions and reading defenses.  

On 11/17/2016 at 7:30 PM, joewilly12 said:

Forget the so called sure thing guys I think Barrett is the best QB in the draft. 

Ok, but remember I have watched most, if not all of his games and yesterday proved my point; JT was 10 of 22 vs two freshman CB's, missing wide open receivers several times, he is a great running QB and that is why we won the game but he better step it up next week or Michigan will be going to the dance

On November 18, 2016 at 6:58 AM, maury77 said:

Dude is a beast

If he ever decides to come back to the NFL if I'm Woody I give him a blank check and tell him to write a number

On 11/14/2016 at 11:35 PM, win4ever said:

You need to add 1 more guy to your list: Sam Darnold out of USC. This tape is impressive for a redshirt freshman: 

On 11/26/2016 at 7:39 AM, maury77 said:

You need to add 1 more guy to your list: Sam Darnold out of USC. This tape is impressive for a redshirt freshman: 

Thanks,  I haven't looked at him honestly, but I'll be sure to check him out.  The '18 class could be a dandy for QB needy teams..........................so we will pick Kizer this year, lol.  

3 hours ago, win4ever said:

Thanks,  I haven't looked at him honestly, but I'll be sure to check him out.  The '18 class could be a dandy for QB needy teams..........................so we will pick Kizer this year, lol.  

Geno lite? Lol, no thanks. 

On 11/14/2016 at 8:35 PM, win4ever said:

Interesting list/topic.  JT Barrett is not even getting drafted. Not as a QB anyway. ... as for this post -- your list going to be a hot topic this offseason and (likely) next year too - for Jets fans

few quick thoughts;

Watson has completely fallen right out of 1st round IMO. The holes in his game were exposed this year. Personally, I don't think he's gonna make in the NFL. 

Luke Falk might be the best QB in this draft class. I don't think you're gonna see these kinds of threads without his name for much longer. 

I'm very interested to see Lamar next year. He made a sensational leap from 2015-2016, but feels like the offense has begun to burn out and I'm curious to see if teams are getting better at defending him, or whether putting an entire program on your back literally every week took it's toll. Better passer than he gets credit for tho. 

Josh Rosen 100%

Jake Browning is not an NFL Quarterback. 

That USC kid, I like.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Interesting list/topic.  JT Barrett is not even getting drafted. Not as a QB anyway. ... as for this post -- your list going to be a hot topic this offseason and (likely) next year too - for Jets fans

few quick thoughts;

Watson has completely fallen right out of 1st round IMO. The holes in his game were exposed this year. Personally, I don't think he's gonna make in the NFL. 

Luke Falk might be the best QB in this draft class. I don't think you're gonna see these kinds of threads without his name for much longer. 

I'm very interested to see Lamar next year. He made a sensational leap from 2015-2016, but feels like the offense has begun to burn out and I'm curious to see if teams are getting better at defending him, or whether putting an entire program on your back literally every week took it's toll. Better passer than he gets credit for tho. 

Josh Rosen 100%

Jake Browning is not an NFL Quarterback. 

That USC kid, I like.

Watson is interesting to me in the sense that his tape last year was so much better.  He had more touch on his passes, spread the ball out more.  I expected him to improve, especially pocket passing, and he went backwards.  I like to see his arm strength numbers because a few publications have mentioned Bridgewater as a comp.  I still think he goes in the first when it's all said and done though.  

I haven't really scouted much QB for this season (I watched a ton last year, when we were rumored to pick one) so I've really only looked at Watson and Mahomes since I don't think there is much chance we pick a QB in this draft with other holes on the team, and Petty/Hackenberg on the team.  

Jackson really has the potential to be great, but like Watson last year, really need to see him improve his game in the pocket.  He's not as good of a prospect, if you can contain him in the pocket (I believe Clemson started it this season) because he still doesn't go through progressions well.  However, if he could get better at that, he's a dynamic talent, because his running ability is the best I've seen from a legit QB since Vick.  Denard Robinson had similar ability in the open field, but he wasn't a real QB.  Mariota/Kapernick/RGIII were all fast and dangerous, but they didn't make defenders look foolish in the open field quite as often.  

I went into it thinking Browning wasn't that good, more of a system guy, but I really do like his throws.  He has decent arm strength, better than I expected, and he seems to do a great job at going through his progressions.  He also has a ton of talent around him, so it'll be interesting to see how he does after Ross moves on this year, but he jumped out on tape with his stuff.  Very good progressions, already has touch pass ability, leads his receivers well, and can be adequately mobile.  I would like to see him with a lesser cast, and if he can improve the arm strength.  

I've only started to watch Darnold recently, (and it was one game) so I don't know how to comment on him.  He did show a ton of potential though.  

I know a lot of times, there is always the grass is greener outlook, that deems next year's class as the best, but this is probably the best class of QBs in a while for me.  

Archived