Rapoprt: Jets Talked to Mo About Commitment Prior to Extension

JetNation

Muhammad Wilkerson

By Glenn Naughton

New York Jets defensive ends Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson sat out the first quarter of last Sunday’s 27-23 loss to the Miami Dolphins for what we later learned were disciplinary issues.

Richardson and Wilkerson have apparently skipping out on practices and meetings on a regular basis and after letting it slide multiple times, head coach Todd Bowles took a new approach, attempting to discipline the players.

Despite his contention that he does respect Bowles, it appears the actions of Wilkerson say the exact opposite.

NFL Insider Ian Rapoport is now reporting that Wilkerson’s absence isn’t a new thing, and the Jets addressed it with the lineman before coming to terms on a deal that would pay him $17 million per season.

After meeting with Bowles to discuss his lack of commitment, Rapoport says the former Temple product assured the Jets that he understood the responsibility that came with the deal, which apparently isn’t the case.

The Jets will have some big decisions to make this off-season as it appears the two players who may very well top the 53-man roster in terms of talent, could very well be bringing up the rear when it comes to commitment.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
LHNH2EJRUv0

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hoped it was a one-time thing that got blown out of proportion.  Looks like the Jets asked him if he'd mind showing up to practice and stuff before giving him his deal and he said he would.

SMH

This really bothers me. Why are you giving such a contract to a habitual absentee. Maybe I am simplifying it but is it really that hard to be a GM? If the guy is late to the meetings before the biggest deal of his life, how can you think he will start showing up on time, after getting paid? 

Just now, hawk said:

So Wilkerson was playing in a rookie contract and had to be talked to about his responsibilities, and the organization thought giving him more money than God would make him change?  

Well the alternative was giving it to a guy that endangered a child, so which is the lesser of two evils

20 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well the alternative was giving it to a guy that endangered a child, so which is the lesser of two evils

Not at all. I would let both Mo and Fitz go and use Sheldon for 2 more years and would let him go as well. Mo and Sheldon aren't long term contract guys. One is lazy, the other is dumb.  

2 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Not at all. I would let both Mo and Fitz go and use Sheldon for 2 more years and would let him go as well. Mo and Sheldon aren't long term contract guys. One is lazy, the other is dumb.  

And have fans and media screaming about not giving Revis money and all that.

BTW, if Mo is lazy and plays like he has before, I would love to see him when he's motivated.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And have fans and media screaming about not giving Revis money and all that.

BTW, if Mo is lazy and plays like he has before, I would love to see him when he's motivated.

Look. With Mo, talent is there. Question is his consistency and now we are hearing about this habitual absentee issue. You want your starts be consistent. They should have a bottom line and they should never perform below that line. Mo is a star one week and he is just cruising with the motions without his best effort the next week. You don't tie big money to a guy like him. 

I saw that. I take back all of me defenses of Mo WIlk. He sure had me fooled. I thought he was exactly the type of guy you pay, productive and good citizen and team mate. Turns out he was going out to bars after bed check.  that's total bullsh*t

sad face

48 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

As long as it wasn't during a game I would give it to the better football player. Truth is chikd probably having a blast street racing in a Bentley. 

If I recall correctly, even before the Jets drafted Mo, there were concerns about his dedication. Seeing how he performed earlier in his career, no one would have guessed that their concerns were actually true. It's shame because I really thought highly of Mo. He needs to change or else see ya later. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

What the hell?

Talent over character. Especially in this NFL. Jets would have been guilty of it.

And if they had signed neither, considering what happened with Revis, they would have been accused of being cheap and not only would fans get upset but then other free agents would avoid coming here

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Or they could have put in conditional clauses tied to his behavior. If you can do it for injuries, why not?

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

sometimes the GM ****s up and gets called out for it

its ok

I have called him out for a couple of mistakes he has made. Signing Wilkerson, AT THE TIME, was a move that was generally liked by most.People thought he had earned the deal and were screaming to "Pay him"

And as noted, he did try to trade Wilkerson before signing him. 

Calling out the GM is all well in good, but it has to fit the facts

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I have called him out for a couple of mistakes he has made. Signing Wilkerson, AT THE TIME, was a move that was generally liked by most.People thought he had earned the deal and were screaming to "Pay him"

And as noted, he did try to trade Wilkerson before signing him. 

Calling out the GM is all well in good, but it has to fit the facts

are the jets a well run franchise?

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

are the jets a well run franchise?

Football wise, if Woody stays out of the way, I think we can get there in time with this guy. He has already proven he can evaluate talent to a better degree than his predecessors and that will lead to a winning culture.

He also has to deal with a media and fanbase that wont accept a full rebuild, so "competitive rebuild" is the way to go. 

Archived