The best $12M ever spent?

NoBowles

We ended up getting every penny of value out of the $12M we spent, just not in the way it was intended. Fitz has been terrible, and no way is he worth the money. But, we now know everything we need to about Todd Bowles. I suspected this from the beginning, and his coaching last year added to the case, but this year he has left us no doubt. Had we not signed Fitz, he would have played Pu$$y ball with Geno, then Hack, and everyone would have given him a pass saying he did not have his QB. Well, he had his QB and still played the same pu$$y ball. He is not a HC, and while I absolutely hate getting rid of a HC after 2 years, when its crystal clear they don't have it, you have to move on and not waste seasons. So after all, it was a great $12M to spend, and the reality is nothing we could have done with that $12M was ever going to make a difference until we get a real QB and a real HC.

When he was given that contract I said at the time that the Jets better hope he doesn't play up to the value of it. The contract paid him as if he was one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL and that's exactly what he's been.

35 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I still say, true to Jet form, we wind up with Romo next year as our starter.  Pray I'm wrong.

This is the danger of not firing Bowles after this year. Bowles and Mac will both be in win or get out mode next season, and everything they will do will be for self preservation and not the good of the team. If Bowles goes, Mac can then pick a HC and work with that HC to build his team out. Its hard to say how much input Bowles has had to date on Mac. I am not sold on Mac by any stretch, but I am sold that Bowles cannot win big in this league. His upside is Marty Schottenheimer, his downside is Kotite.

What was the point of the Jets sitting on the $12 million they gave to Fitz? It was a 1 year deal. The money is off the books after this year and the Jets can move on. They didn't lock in long term like Fitz wanted.

The only other thing you could have said was that the Jets could have used that $12 million in other areas instead of giving it to Fitz. We should have signed a CB. Ours are terrible.

6 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

This is the danger of not firing Bowles after this year. Bowles and Mac will both be in win or get out mode next season, and everything they will do will be for self preservation and not the good of the team. If Bowles goes, Mac can then pick a HC and work with that HC to build his team out. Its hard to say how much input Bowles has had to date on Mac. I am not sold on Mac by any stretch, but I am sold that Bowles cannot win big in this league. His upside is Marty Schottenheimer, his downside is Kotite.

His upside is Marty Schottenheimer? First you have to get to the playoffs before you lose in the playoffs as much as Marty has. Bowles is not even CLOSE to the coach Marty S was.

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

His upside is Marty Schottenheimer? First you have to get to the playoffs before you lose in the playoffs as much as Marty has. Bowles is not even CLOSE to the coach Marty S was.

In no way am I saying he is even half the coach Marty was, hence the Kotite as his downside. My only point is that even if Bowles turns out to learn how to coach, he will have the Marty conservatism that prevents you from winning the big games. I think he is probably closer to Kotite than Marty.

23 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What was the point of the Jets sitting on the $12 million they gave to Fitz? It was a 1 year deal. The money is off the books after this year and the Jets can move on. They didn't lock in long term like Fitz wanted.

The only other thing you could have said was that the Jets could have used that $12 million in other areas instead of giving it to Fitz. We should have signed a CB. Ours are terrible.

Five of those twelve million count against next year's cap. They weren't sitting on any money, they had to borrow to pay a bad QB. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Five of those twelve million count against next year's cap. They weren't sitting on any money, they had to borrow to pay a bad QB. 

I didn't realize 5 of it counts against next years cap. Either way, the Jets made the right move at the time. The top players and leaders in that locker room clearly wanted him back and were vocal about it. And he was coming off a great year and a 10-6 record. I'm not going to blame them for giving him a 1 year deal.

Archived