Two coaches that will haunt the Jets forever.

joewilly12

Pete didn't become a good NFL HC until after going to college so there's nothing there but BB should have created that dynasty here but fled from Parcells.  Imagine BB here w/ Brady(we don't trade Key or BB for 1st rounders so we don't draft Chad and he has same staff in place that drafted Brady).  this would be our dynasty.:(

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

Pete Carroll is 20/20 hindsight. The Jets were 6-10 there year he coached them. You were probably calling for him to be fired. We should have been patient with him. Let's you some patience on Bowles.

Nope liked Pete try again. Todd Bowles has shown me zero when it comes to head coaching material. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Hell of a coach, but if I had to watch that guy chew gum like a f*cking cow on the sideline for over a decade, I'd probably gouge my eyes out with a spoon. 

I love fans they are patient in the past tense but never in the present.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Dont care if you believe me or not liked Pete's personality and demeanor something Todd Bowles will never have.

I don't. You are so quick to give up on management I can't believe you like Carroll even though they were worse than the year before he took over.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

I don't. You are so quick to give up on management I can't believe you like Carroll even though they were worse than the year before he took over.

I dont give a rats ass whether you believe me or not you are a nobody.  I personally met Pete the year he took over as head coach and he was smart football educated and very personable to fans.  He was a players coach and  a fans coach  we should have had some patience with him.  Please go away. Thanks 

56 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Nope liked Pete try again. Todd Bowles has shown me zero when it comes to head coaching material. 

I liked him too. He had little talent but was ridiculed for a lack of discipline and his constant Ra Ra....

JUNC is right though... he absolutely got better after he left us.  He coached at NE, SF as assistant, then college etc..

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

He was awful here.  And for bonus points the team quit on him.  He showed nothing, Bowles has had a winning season.  

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I dont give a rats ass whether you believe me or not you are a nobody.  I personally met Pete the year he took over as head coach and he was smart football educated and very personable to fans.  He was a players coach and  a fans coach  we should have had some patience with him.  Please go away. Thanks 

What does this mean?  Who cares if he's personable to fans?  Parcells, BB are nasty to fans.  I'll take either over Pete.  Can you imagine if a Jet HC passed on running ML from the 1?  

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What does this mean?  Who cares if he's personable to fans?  Parcells, BB are nasty to fans.  I'll take either over Pete.  Can you imagine if a Jet HC passed on running ML from the 1?  

Pete's success speaks for itself no one can argue that even if you tried. 

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Pete's success speaks for itself no one can argue that even if you tried. 

I can argue it.  He hasn't had that much success other than with a loaded Seattle team.  He sucked with the Jets, was nothing special with the Pats.  He was much, much worse with the Jets than Bowles.  But winning later on confuses you.  

Not surprising.

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Pete didn't become a good NFL HC until after going to college so there's nothing there but BB should have created that dynasty here but fled from Parcells.  Imagine BB here w/ Brady(we don't trade Key or BB for 1st rounders so we don't draft Chad and he has same staff in place that drafted Brady).  this would be our dynasty.:(

IIRC, wasn't it "fled from Woody Johnson"?  (who some here think is a good owner)

9 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Pete Carroll is 20/20 hindsight. The Jets were 6-10 the year he coached them. You were probably calling for him to be fired. We should have been patient with him. Let's show some patience on Bowles.

Pete Carroll coached a good defense here and he brought energy to this team back then. His firing was pure bullsh*t and he's always been a good coach maybe he was a bit young his first time but he would have been a nice long term solution. Sure its hindsight but no matter how you look at it he was not the train wreck Bowles is, not by a long shot.

10 hours ago, bassmaster2 said:

Good QB makes Good coaches

All QBs look good behind the patriots cheats. That is why all of their backups get traded or picked up on big contracts and flop everywhere else they go. They looked great while on the Patriots roster and then look like crap after. 

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Pete Carroll coached a good defense here and he brought energy to this team back then. His firing was pure bullsh*t and he's always been a good coach maybe he was a bit young his first time but he would have been a nice long term solution. Sure its hindsight but no matter how you look at it he was not the train wreck Bowles is, not by a long shot.

Last night Tom Coughlin practically admitted to John Gruden he was ready to coach again. I wonder if Woody watches Giants games.  He showed more emotion watching the Giants play last night than we've seen from Bowles in his entire tenure here. 

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

IIRC, wasn't it "fled from Woody Johnson"?  (who some here think is a good owner)

Not even close. Woody Johnson wasn't the owner - or even the highest bidder yet - when all his went down. This was all on Parcells. All of it.

If they'd just promoted BB properly, by Parcells stepping down right after the final game, without mixed signals and rumors of a return for weeks, then he would have stayed. BB was only the HC due to a loophole in his contract:

The agreement was he'd be under Parcells for 3 yrs and then Tuna would step down. When that happened BB would automatically be promoted to HC (so the Jets then couldn't hire someone else instead after Tuna; payback for holding the job for Parcells in 1997 while he was still NE's HC). Well 3 Jets years went by and it really looked like Parcells might not step down, since he was immensely popular and fans badly wanted him back. There were already rumors in Dec that he would stick around for a 4th season because of the way that 1999 season went. However this would **** BB who felt the job should rightfully be his, per their agreement. So with Parcells giving mixed signals he might return and coach another season, BB started negotiating with NE, which wasn't so terrible since he wasn't the Jets' HC. Parcells catches wind of this before a deal with them was signed, and only then Parcells suddenly steps down. This foils BB's plans because now he's the Jets' HC by contract, and therefore can't talk to (let alone sign with) another team. He's fuming mad, as anyone would be, because Parcells ****ed him again. So he quits, mumbling on the podium about it all, and handed in his resignation on a paper napkin. 

The cherry on top was that, after making this mess, Parcells still didn't come back to coach anyway, and he instead promoted Al Groh. 

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

that is the revisionist history version but BP cost us BB.  he did not trust BP hovering over his shoulder and knew he only had one shot left to become a successful HC(he wasn't getting  3rd chance if he failed).  yes there were some rumblings about an unknown owner(I don't even think Woody was officially the owner yet) and all that but this was based on BP.  BP wouldn't even let BB know he was retiring when that was his plan all along, BP waited until he heard of the BB/NE thing then he retired triggering the clause that BB becomes HC which led us to the napkin and seeing NE eventually get the last laugh.

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not even close. Woody Johnson wasn't the owner - or even the highest bidder yet - when all his went down. This was all on Parcells. All of it.

If they'd just promoted BB properly, by Parcells stepping down right after the final game, without mixed signals and rumors of a return for weeks, then he would have stayed. BB was only the HC due to a loophole in his contract:

The agreement was he'd be under Parcells for 3 yrs and then Tuna would step down. When that happened BB would automatically be promoted to HC (so the Jets then couldn't hire someone else instead after Tuna; payback for holding the job for Parcells in 1997 while he was still NE's HC). Well 3 Jets years went by and it really looked like Parcells might not step down, since he was immensely popular and fans badly wanted him back. There were already rumors in Dec that he would stick around for a 4th season because of the way that 1999 season went. However this would **** BB who felt the job should rightfully be his, per their agreement. So with Parcells giving mixed signals he might return and coach another season, BB started negotiating with NE, which wasn't so terrible since he wasn't the Jets' HC. Parcells catches wind of this before a deal with them was signed, and only then Parcells suddenly steps down. This foils BB's plans because now he's the Jets' HC by contract, and therefore can't talk to (let alone sign with) another team. He's fuming mad, as anyone would be, because Parcells ****ed him again. So he quits, mumbling on the podium about it all, and handed in his resignation on a paper napkin. 

The cherry on top was that, after making this mess, Parcells still didn't come back to coach anyway, and he instead promoted Al Groh. 

exactly.  BP did a great job bringing us out of the dark ages and making us competitive but he killed us as a GM type botching draft after draft, overpaying and putting us in cap hell and the whole BB fiasco.  NE has our dynasty thanks to BP.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that is the revisionist history version but BP cost us BB.  he did not trust BP hovering over his shoulder and knew he only had one shot left to become a successful HC(he wasn't getting  3rd chance if he failed).  yes there were some rumblings about an unknown owner(I don't even think Woody was officially the owner yet) and all that but this was based on BP.  BP wouldn't even let BB know he was retiring when that was his plan all along, BP waited until he heard of the BB/NE thing then he retired triggering the clause that BB becomes HC which led us to the napkin and seeing NE eventually get the last laugh.

Bottom line what if the jets just stayed with BB in 1997 as the HC and didn't give up a number 1 pick to the Pats to get BP out of his contract?? :( 

Archived