I would Still start Petty the rest of the way

Jets723

Petty had a up and down start but I cut him slack because it was his first start, against a tough defense, and the playcalling was pretty atrocious.  There is no reasons to go back to Fitz at this point.  We might as well see how Petty does the rest of the way.  Lets see if he learns from mistakes and if they allow him to air the ball out a little

Here's a write up by Disney's Katz and the Nitz!:

With one game remaining in Week 10, Marcus Mariota has posted the highest Total QBR of the week thus far, while Jay Cutler posted one of the lowest of the season. ESPN Stats & Information takes a look at the best and worst QB performances from Week 10 so far in terms of ESPN's Total Quarterback Rating (QBR).

Bryce Petty: 21.7 Total QBR

Petty’s first career NFL start had some highlights and more than a few lowlights. Let’s start with the positive. Petty led the New York Jets on a nine-play, 99-yard touchdown drive early the second quarter, which was highlighted by a 52-yard completion (42 air yards) from out of his own end zone to Robby Anderson. That was by far his biggest EPA play (plus 1.2) and set the Jets up for their only touchdown of the game.

However, that pass was Petty's only completion on a ball traveling 10 or more yards downfield, and every other Jets drive ended in a punt or turnover. The most costly turnover (negative-1.1 EPA) was undoubtedly Alec Ogletree’s interception with under two minutes remaining, which sealed the victory for the Rams. Overall, Petty mostly kept it safe on Sunday, with his average pass traveling 5.2 yards past the line of scrimmage, and struggled to keep the chains moving for New York.

:( I thought he did ok and felt, like most have stated here, the CS definitely pulled the reins in and wouldn't let 'im RIP IT! 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

The Pats pass rush is like night & day to the Rams. 

Problem will be Petty will most likely be playing from behind. Start him & let it rip!

We are probably better off playing from behind because if it's a close game Bowles will play it super conservative. If we are down they will have no choice but to air it out a little more. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We are probably better off playing from behind because if it's a close game Bowles will play it super conservative. If we are down they will have no choice but to air it out a little more. 

Yup, Bowles is a typical DC impersonating a HC. They want to play close football games even when they don't have to. Its maddening.

The kid is still not ready. The play calling wasn't much different than any other game. The kid was given opportunities to throw the ball forward but for whatever reason those plays were largely ineffective.

2nd quarter pass to Marshall could've/should've been a pick 6. End of 2nd quarter he throws the ball into the dirt (slipped out of his hands). Beginning of 3rd quarter...TERRIBLE throw sails over a wide open Enunwa. 4th quarter another TERRIBLE throw to Enunwa that bounced 3 yards in front of Enunwa. The very next play almost throws an interception looking Enunwa's way. The next drive, with a clean pocket starting to collapse he shuffle passed right into the facemask of a DT.

I'm no Petty hater. I hope the kid will eventually be a good QB. But if yesterday's game isn't clear evidence to you that he still needs some polish.....you guys are kidding yourselves.

1 minute ago, thatboyjack said:

The kid is still not ready. The play calling wasn't much different than any other game. The kid was given opportunities to throw the ball forward but for whatever reason those plays were largely ineffective.

2nd quarter pass to Marshall could've/should've been a pick 6. End of 2nd quarter he throws the ball into the dirt (slipped out of his hands). Beginning of 3rd quarter...TERRIBLE throw sails over a wide open Enunwa. 4th quarter another TERRIBLE throw to Enunwa that bounced 3 yards in front of Enunwa. The very next play almost throws an interception looking Enunwa's way. The next drive, with a clean pocket starting to collapse he shuffle passed right into the facemask of a DT.

I'm no Petty hater. I hope the kid will eventually be a good QB. But if yesterday's game isn't clear evidence to you that he still needs some polish.....you guys are kidding yourselves.

You are misunderstanding.  Nobody said he was READY or that he was even good.  However the best way yo get better is by experience.  Lets be honest the playcallig made it pretty much impossible for him to get into a rhythm.  I'm not saying he didn't make bad throws...he clearly did.  BUT I bet against a defense that isn't as tough as the Rams and some freedom Petty could make some good throws.  Either way he needs to play

Just now, Jets723 said:

You are misunderstanding.  Nobody said he was READY or that he was even good.  However the best way yo get better is by experience.  Lets be honest the playcallig made it pretty much impossible for him to get into a rhythm.  I'm not saying he didn't make bad throws...he clearly did.  BUT I bet against a defense that isn't as tough as the Rams and some freedom Petty could make some good throws.  Either way he needs to play

No...I do understand. I guess my point was slightly off-topic. I think the coaches are wise to keep him on the bench in development mode. If not...you risk Petty sliding into Geno-esque type QB play.....losing confidence, and developing bad habits trying to overcompensate for obvious deficiencies in his game.

3 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

No...I do understand. I guess my point was slightly off-topic. I think the coaches are wise to keep him on the bench in development mode. If not...you risk Petty sliding into Geno-esque type QB play.....losing confidence, and developing bad habits trying to overcompensate for obvious deficiencies in his game.

Nope.  First off Geno started right away so it was a totally different situation.   Putting him back on the bench accomplishes nothing at this point.  There is no pressure on him to win since the season over.  The thing to look for is progress.  His first start wasnt bad  especially since the coaches did him no favors

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The idea that Bowles has confidence in a turnover machine like Fitz, but was afraid to throw on 1st down with Petty when the playoffs might even be a pipe dream in 2017 is a fireable offence.

The playcalling for Petty was conservative because he isn't ready to handle the full responsibility of a full playbook yet. They called the game around his shortcomings. I'm honestly shocked at how many people don't understand this. Why unnecessarily put a ton on his plate when you don't have to?

15 minutes ago, August said:

The playcalling for Petty was conservative because he isn't ready to handle the full responsibility of a full playbook yet. They called the game around his shortcomings. I'm honestly shocked at how many people don't understand this. Why unnecessarily put a ton on his plate when you don't have to?

Or can't? Unflipping real

There is only so much you can learn in practice. Petty, after the game, admitted he saw things during the game that you can't always pick up watching film. Felt like a positive learning experience for him. 

The only way he will get better is to play. 

The only way the coaches can evaluate him, is for him to play.

28 minutes ago, August said:

I get it, but if they're crowding the LOS give him a few 1st & 10 play actions to take a shot at a 1 on 1. It's not rocket science, Wentz has been doing it when he sees man.

Actually with 6 games to go it should be divided as Petty gets the next 3 (NE, IND, and @SF). If he does well and shows steady progress than he should stay in for the last 3 games. If he doesn't show progress than Hack should get the last 3 games (MIA, at NE, BUF), which is even a tougher schedule. For the latter case I stated we get some game film on Hack and see if he shows some progression. For both QBs they can get this experience and both go through the whole offseason and training camp fighting for the starting gig. Meanwhile this will probably net a top 5 or 10 pick to determine do we see if one of the highly tout QBs drop to us and do we take a chance on that or do we say Petty or Hack can be good enough going forward to take a chance on and just sign one the the FA QBs as a backup for some experience. The other alternative is if these last 6 games show both of these QBs are not ready then target a FA to come in and have to beat them both out for the starting job like Glennon or make a trade for any QB not named Romo or Cutler. If we use one of these strategies that results in us not taking a QB in the first or even 2nd round, both of those picks need to be used on Oline and CB. The Oline actually hasn't played too bad this year, but must start getting high draft picks added to it moving forward since it has been neglected for so long that we now have 2nd to 3rd teir Tackles starting and that is a recipe for disaster moving forward. We don't want to find out Petty or Hack is the guy right before they get a serious injury.

31 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I get it, but if they're crowding the LOS give him a few 1st & 10 play actions to take a shot at a 1 on 1. It's not rocket science, Wentz has been doing it when he sees man.

That may be true but the few times when he was supposed to pass down field he looked pretty indecisive and wound up missing the throw or just checking it down. 

35 minutes ago, August said:
37 minutes ago, August said:

That may be true but the few times when he was supposed to pass down field he looked pretty indecisive and wound up missing the throw or just checking it down. 

That's why he needs to start the rest of the games.  The more he sees the more he will recognize. That's the only way to learn. 

Archived