PSL Fool's Gold - (good read)

David Harris

logo.png
header-bottom-border.png
THIS SITE IS A NEWS,ENTERTAINMENT AND INFORMATION SITE. NYJETSFANS.COM IS AN INDEPENDENT FAN SITE AND NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THE NEW YORK JETS, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR ANY OTHER MEDIA SITE.
image36

Jets Season Tickets: A Thing of the Past

• author.png admin
  • date.png November 14, 2016
  • 0 Comments

Being a New York Jets season ticket holder was one of the highlights of my youth. Waking up early on Sunday mornings and heading out to Giants Stadium with my family created memories that will never be forgotten. Some good. Some bad. But we always had a great time. Whether we were forced to endure a Dan Marino fake spike play or a couple years of Rich Kotite, we always could not wait to get back in those seats. I got on my father’s shoulders for thunderous “J-E-T-S” chants led by Fireman Ed in which the entire stadium would rock in unison. I grew up with the same people sitting in my section year after year. They became part of our family. Jets season tickets were the best value in town.

Leon Hess did not know much about putting a winning team together but he knew how to keep his customers happy. As late as 1997 – less than 20 years ago – every seat in the stadium was $25. My father paid $400 for 2 season tickets. The Jets were one of the last teams that forced their fans to pay for the preseason.

The same seats that my family owned in section 131 of the old stadium for $25 in 1997 now cost $700/game at MetLife. You have to pay an absurd $25,000 PSL for the right to buy them. What used to cost $200/season is now $7000/season (plus PSL money). The kicker? It isn’t nearly as much fun.

So my question to the Jets front office is: What are you going to do about it? Where is the value in being a season ticket holder? This past game, tickets in my section were being sold for 1/3 of the face value on the secondary market to people that were NOT forced to pay PSL’s or for preseason tickets. Let’s dive a bit deeper in to why season ticket holders feel so ripped off.

Ticket Prices

Let’s say for the sake of this article that the face value of your ticket is $100. I am only using these numbers to illustrate my point as I know that most people are paying more than that. That price is an illusion. It is a trick to make you think that the tickets are $100, when in fact you are paying 25% more than that because the team forces you to buy worthless preseason tickets. A $100 face value means that over the course of the entire season, you are paying $1000 for 8 tickets. Nobody in their right mind would ever buy the two preseason games if they were not forced to. When you take that in to consideration, your tickets actually cost $125/each.

But wait, there is more! If you bought a $5000 PSL and financed it over the course of 15 years, you are on the hook for another $333/year (+ interest) or an additional $42/game on top of that $125. The face value of your ticket just went up from $100 to $167/ticket.

It isn’t hard to see why season ticket holders feel so ripped off. The same ticket that they are (in essence) paying $167 for are currently being dumped on sites like StubHub for $20-$30.

Late-Season Meaningless Games

I consider these to be games played at home when the team was already realistically eliminated from playoff contention. Since moving in to MetLife there have been 12 of these games (Two in 2012, one in 2013, four in 2014 and there will be 5 this year). These games are typically played in cold weather late in the season. The resale value of these tickets is close to $0. The building is half empty and loaded with visiting team fans.

So let’s build the cost of the tickets to these 12 games in to base price of owning season tickets and spread it out over the course of the 6.5 years in the new stadium. That is an average of another $184/season that most fans probably would not spend. Would any season ticket holder be willing to buy tickets to the last four games this season if they didn’t already do that in advance? Certainly not at face value.

Season Ticket Holder Benefits

Let’s break down the Jets “Season Ticket Holder Benefits” as described on their website:

– Exclusive opportunity to purchase single game tickets prior to the general public.

Oh! So we get the right to buy MORE tickets that are just as easy to purchase (and often cheaper) on the secondary market.

– Access to online account management tools, including the ability to post season tickets for re-sale, print tickets from home and forward tickets to friends.
That and 4 quarters will get you a dollar.

– First right of refusal to purchase playoff tickets.
Playoff tickets? We haven’t had a home playoff game since 2002

– The ability to earn credit through the Jets Referral program.
So… If we dupe friends/family in to getting in on this horrible investment, we will get a discount on our tickets?

– A unique season ticket holder gift every year.
A hat or a cooler. Seems worth it.

– Access to reserved parking.
The very same parking you can buy on the secondary market.

– The opportunity to purchase tickets to concerts and other stadium events.
But not ALL events. Only some.

– Personalized service from Jets Season Ticket Account Executives.
So if I have a question, somebody is guaranteed to take my call? What a perk!

– Access to gameday guide preview emails prior to every home game.
Now THIS is worth the price of a PSL. They will forward you a bulk email!

Why Purchase Season Tickets?

Good question. There is no longer any good reason to make that sort of commitment to the team. Not when you can buy tickets to any game you want on the secondary market. This is not an article telling fans to stay home. By all means, continue to buy tickets and attend games. But the NFL has finally gone too far with the PSL & preseason requirements. They got greedy and spit in the faces of the fans who helped build the league in to what it is. Not one Jets fan asked for MetLife Stadium to be built. That stadium was built in order to maximize the amount of money that Jets & Giants ownership could make out of clubs, luxury boxes and premium seating while asking the fans to finance it. It was an absolutely absurd “investment” that they successfully duped their most loyal customers into buying.

If anybody is being logical and looks at the numbers as I have presented them, they will realize that the best course of action is to consider PSL money already spent to be sunk cost and move on. You will wind up in a much better place financially and still be able to attend any game that you want. We are the customers. Ownership and management are supposed to earn our money. At some point, they decided to dictate their terms to us. It is time for the fans to take that power back.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David Harris said:

I consider these to be games played at home when the team was already realistically eliminated from playoff contention. Since moving in to MetLife there have been 12 of these games (Two in 2012, one in 2013, four in 2014 and there will be 5 this year). These games are typically played in cold weather late in the season. The resale value of these tickets is close to $0. The building is half empty and loaded with visiting team fans

Gotta give credit when it's due.  Sure most of the time meaningless games occur when it's cold, but the Jets were really looking out for ticket holders this season.  

They pulled off the damn-near impossible, by giving us meaningless games in October.  All in an attempt to allow ticket holders to get top dollar for their meaningless tickets.

::GoJets:

I had season tickets along with PSL and used to take my kids.  Gave up the tickets, walked away from my seats about 3 years ago.  The stadium still does not feel like there is a home field advantage, I think when the stadium opportunity for only the Jets was shut down by corrupt Silver in NYC on the old tracks, Woody paniced and jumped back into bed with Giants.  San Diego is trying everything possible not to have to go with the RAMS in LA because they know that it will be a Rams building and they will be a tenant. 

It was never the same people sitting next to us either.  Building the relationships with other families or Jets fans around your seats stopped making it fun as well because everyone was selling tickets.

Not only the cost of the ticket along with parking, but if you take a family of 4 to the game, you are buying food and gas to get to the game which is almost another $200.

So now I take that $500-$1000 and travel to Jets away games with a bunch of the guys, and in many cases the cost to do all of that is less then going to 1 game at Met Life until tickets go on sale for $20.

"The opportunity to purchase tickets to concerts and other stadium events.
But not ALL events. Only some."

Was supposed to be a big selling point. But the entire time we before we gave up our tickets, were never offered any first shot at major concerts. 

Playoff tickets? 

4 hours ago, David Harris said:
logo.png
header-bottom-border.png
THIS SITE IS A NEWS,ENTERTAINMENT AND INFORMATION SITE. NYJETSFANS.COM IS AN INDEPENDENT FAN SITE AND NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THE NEW YORK JETS, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR ANY OTHER MEDIA SITE.
image36

Jets Season Tickets: A Thing of the Past

• author.png admin
  • date.png November 14, 2016
  • 0 Comments

Being a New York Jets season ticket holder was one of the highlights of my youth. Waking up early on Sunday mornings and heading out to Giants Stadium with my family created memories that will never be forgotten. Some good. Some bad. But we always had a great time. Whether we were forced to endure a Dan Marino fake spike play or a couple years of Rich Kotite, we always could not wait to get back in those seats. I got on my father’s shoulders for thunderous “J-E-T-S” chants led by Fireman Ed in which the entire stadium would rock in unison. I grew up with the same people sitting in my section year after year. They became part of our family. Jets season tickets were the best value in town.

Leon Hess did not know much about putting a winning team together but he knew how to keep his customers happy. As late as 1997 – less than 20 years ago – every seat in the stadium was $25. My father paid $400 for 2 season tickets. The Jets were one of the last teams that forced their fans to pay for the preseason.

The same seats that my family owned in section 131 of the old stadium for $25 in 1997 now cost $700/game at MetLife. You have to pay an absurd $25,000 PSL for the right to buy them. What used to cost $200/season is now $7000/season (plus PSL money). The kicker? It isn’t nearly as much fun.

So my question to the Jets front office is: What are you going to do about it? Where is the value in being a season ticket holder? This past game, tickets in my section were being sold for 1/3 of the face value on the secondary market to people that were NOT forced to pay PSL’s or for preseason tickets. Let’s dive a bit deeper in to why season ticket holders feel so ripped off.

Ticket Prices

Let’s say for the sake of this article that the face value of your ticket is $100. I am only using these numbers to illustrate my point as I know that most people are paying more than that. That price is an illusion. It is a trick to make you think that the tickets are $100, when in fact you are paying 25% more than that because the team forces you to buy worthless preseason tickets. A $100 face value means that over the course of the entire season, you are paying $1000 for 8 tickets. Nobody in their right mind would ever buy the two preseason games if they were not forced to. When you take that in to consideration, your tickets actually cost $125/each.

But wait, there is more! If you bought a $5000 PSL and financed it over the course of 15 years, you are on the hook for another $333/year (+ interest) or an additional $42/game on top of that $125. The face value of your ticket just went up from $100 to $167/ticket.

It isn’t hard to see why season ticket holders feel so ripped off. The same ticket that they are (in essence) paying $167 for are currently being dumped on sites like StubHub for $20-$30.

I consider these to be games played at home when the team was already realistically eliminated from playoff contention. Since moving in to MetLife there have been 12 of these games (Two in 2012, one in 2013, four in 2014 and there will be 5 this year). These games are typically played in cold weather late in the season. The resale value of these tickets is close to $0. The building is half empty and loaded with visiting team fans.

So let’s build the cost of the tickets to these 12 games in to base price of owning season tickets and spread it out over the course of the 6.5 years in the new stadium. That is an average of another $184/season that most fans probably would not spend. Would any season ticket holder be willing to buy tickets to the last four games this season if they didn’t already do that in advance? Certainly not at face value.

Season Ticket Holder Benefits

Let’s break down the Jets “Season Ticket Holder Benefits” as described on their website:

– Exclusive opportunity to purchase single game tickets prior to the general public.

Oh! So we get the right to buy MORE tickets that are just as easy to purchase (and often cheaper) on the secondary market.

– Access to online account management tools, including the ability to post season tickets for re-sale, print tickets from home and forward tickets to friends.
That and 4 quarters will get you a dollar.

– First right of refusal to purchase playoff tickets.
Playoff tickets? We haven’t had a home playoff game since 2002

– The ability to earn credit through the Jets Referral program.
So… If we dupe friends/family in to getting in on this horrible investment, we will get a discount on our tickets?

– A unique season ticket holder gift every year.
A hat or a cooler. Seems worth it.

– Access to reserved parking.
The very same parking you can buy on the secondary market.

– The opportunity to purchase tickets to concerts and other stadium events.
But not ALL events. Only some.

– Personalized service from Jets Season Ticket Account Executives.
So if I have a question, somebody is guaranteed to take my call? What a perk!

– Access to gameday guide preview emails prior to every home game.
Now THIS is worth the price of a PSL. They will forward you a bulk email!

Why Purchase Season Tickets?

Good question. There is no longer any good reason to make that sort of commitment to the team. Not when you can buy tickets to any game you want on the secondary market. This is not an article telling fans to stay home. By all means, continue to buy tickets and attend games. But the NFL has finally gone too far with the PSL & preseason requirements. They got greedy and spit in the faces of the fans who helped build the league in to what it is. Not one Jets fan asked for MetLife Stadium to be built. That stadium was built in order to maximize the amount of money that Jets & Giants ownership could make out of clubs, luxury boxes and premium seating while asking the fans to finance it. It was an absolutely absurd “investment” that they successfully duped their most loyal customers into buying.

If anybody is being logical and looks at the numbers as I have presented them, they will realize that the best course of action is to consider PSL money already spent to be sunk cost and move on. You will wind up in a much better place financially and still be able to attend any game that you want. We are the customers. Ownership and management are supposed to earn our money. At some point, they decided to dictate their terms to us. It is time for the fans to take that power back.

Any comments SAR 1 ?

I haven't been selling seats this year, so I am out of touch.  Just looked at StubHub and cheapest seats in sections 135 and 142 are about $270 each.  Will those drop significantly as the game approaches?

OK...just searched another two seconds.  The Jets/Colts MNF game has seats in 135/142 for just over $100 each.  Of course that is the game I likely will miss due to work.

Again, I haven't looked to sell seats this year so I am very out of touch, but maybe it still really depends on the opponent. Maybe Pats is still a good draw even when the Jets are total crap.

I do continue to appreciate the larger point that it costs a lot of money to go to these games.  That said, aside from the horror show we see on the field from week to week, I am enjoying the stadium experience for the most part.

1 hour ago, Cornfed said:

I haven't been selling seats this year, so I am out of touch.  Just looked at StubHub and cheapest seats in sections 135 and 142 are about $270 each.  Will those drop significantly as the game approaches?

OK...just searched another two seconds.  The Jets/Colts MNF game has seats in 135/142 for just over $100 each.  Of course that is the game I likely will miss due to work.

Again, I haven't looked to sell seats this year so I am very out of touch, but maybe it still really depends on the opponent. Maybe Pats is still a good draw even when the Jets are total crap.

I do continue to appreciate the larger point that it costs a lot of money to go to these games.  That said, aside from the horror show we see on the field from week to week, I am enjoying the stadium experience for the most part.

My older son moved down to Florida in August, and I hold 3 seats in 137 for me and my two sons.  On games where my daughter or wife won't attend, I've been selling those 3 on Stub Hub and waiting until game day to buy a pair on stub Hub for me and my younger son.  Here are the results of my sales:

Average Face Value for Lower Prime tickets (ignoring flex pricing): $170/ticket  ($510 for 3 seats)

PreSeason: irrelevant as always.  Donated Jacksonville tickets to United Way and will take $510 charitable tax deduction.  Sold Giants tickets for $155 each and netted more than I would have if donated to charity. (Ended up going to the Giant game at the last minute buying 4 seats on Stub Hub for $30 each and sat in my regular section anyway since there were so many empties and the ushers weren't checking tickets).   Rant: Paying for these worthless "games" is a 32-team, league-wide scam perpetrated on all season ticket holders. Shame on the NFL for taking advantage of us and shame on us for buying in to the farce that is misnamed PreSeason "games".  I remember when the Jets were the ONLY team in the NFL not to force preseason "games" down our throat, but that ended over 10 years ago.

Bengals: Sat in my regular 3 seats

Seattle:  Sold my 3 early in the week for $726 ($242 per ticket) before 10% Stub Hub commission.  Net $653.40  (28% profit).  (bought a pair of Mezz club seats on the 25 yard line for $125 each the day before the game. That Mezz Club section was teeming with Settle fans BTW)

Baltimore:  Sold my 3 on Friday for $435 ($145 per ticket) before 10% Stub Hub commission.  Net $391.50  (23% loss) . Bought a pair of Mezz Club seats in row 1 on the 25 yard line for $50 each at 10:00 the morning of the game.  Amazing.)

Rams:  Sold my 3 on Thursday for $486 ($162 per ticket) before 10% Stub Hub commission.  Net $437.40  (14% loss) .  Was going to purchase a pair the morning of the game but woke up feeling...  "oh fukc it, I don't feel like spending any money to see this crappy team". Glad I didn't.  

I have all four of the other games now posted on Stub Hub and Ticket Master.  I'll decide the day of any of these games if I want to be cheap tickets at the last minute.  This team isn't worth my time and money right now, so I have a feeling I am done for the season and will gladly take whatever I can get on the secondary market.  The Jets really do not deserve one ounce of loyalty from me or any of us based on the garbage they have delivered to the fans who have paid them so much money.  I hope they read this and gag on it. 

3 hours ago, Buldawg said:

As late as 1997 – less than 20 years ago – every seat in the stadium was $25. My father paid $400 for 2 season tickets. The Jets were one of the last teams that forced their fans to pay for the preseason.

The same seats that my family owned in section 131 of the old stadium for $25 in 1997 now cost $700/game at MetLife. You have to pay an absurd $25,000 PSL for the right to buy them. What used to cost $200/season is now $7000/season (plus PSL money).

So my question to the Jets front office is: What are you going to do about it?

Look at the person who wrote that article, read the quote above.

More sour grapes from someone who had the best seats in the house for 30 years (131 was on the 50 yard line) for the same $25 per game as someone in the upper deck paid in those days who sold his tickets for huge money to scalpers, probably put him through college, and is now whining.  Pathetic.

That bastard didn't cry for me when I was on the waiting list and his daddy was selling $25 seats on the 50 yard line for $250 to shady ticket brokers so excuse me if I don't cry for him when the shoe is on the other foot.   

SAR I

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Only a complete and utter idiot thinks that PSLs are worth a damn. 

News Flash:  PSL's happened in 2008.  Last time I checked, that was 8 years ago.  There are only 16,000 people who wrote PSL checks to the Jets.  We could afford it.  We don't think about it anymore.  It was nothing more than a price increase of around $10 per ticket on average.  On Sunday I bought a beer at the stadium that cost more than my PSL's. 

Am I an utter idiot for buying a beer at a football game?  Or are you an utter idiot for spending the last decade concerning yourself with how rich people spend their fun money?

SAR I

5 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I had season tickets along with PSL and used to take my kids.  Gave up the tickets, walked away from my seats about 3 years ago.  The stadium still does not feel like there is a home field advantage, I think when the stadium opportunity for only the Jets was shut down by corrupt Silver in NYC on the old tracks, Woody paniced and jumped back into bed with Giants.  San Diego is trying everything possible not to have to go with the RAMS in LA because they know that it will be a Rams building and they will be a tenant. 

It was never the same people sitting next to us either.  Building the relationships with other families or Jets fans around your seats stopped making it fun as well because everyone was selling tickets.

Not only the cost of the ticket along with parking, but if you take a family of 4 to the game, you are buying food and gas to get to the game which is almost another $200.

So now I take that $500-$1000 and travel to Jets away games with a bunch of the guys, and in many cases the cost to do all of that is less then going to 1 game at Met Life until tickets go on sale for $20.

I respect your point of view and it's too bad you had such a bad experience.

In my section, people rarely sell their seats, I've seen the same guys around me for the past 7 seasons, we are friends, and we enjoy the games thoroughly.  For us, it doesn't feel any different than the experience in Giants Stadium, we are bonded, we look out for each other, we take care of each others kids, we banter during the game, no one has ever uttered a word about PSL's and the prices we paid, we just enjoy the game and each others company, it's everything being a season ticket holder is supposed to be.

One thing that must be said is that what you have decided to do-  leave the Jets season ticket family and travel to a few road games-  is what NFL fans are doing more and more these days, and it's the reason that NFL stadiums have a higher percentage of enemy fans in them.  So when you say our stadium doesn't feel like it has much of a homefield advantage and then you dump your season tickets and then travel to enemy stadiums, well, you are an example of what created the situation.

SAR I

In 2016, season tickets are really only worth it for any sport, PSL or not, if the franchise is a consistent winner. Playoff tickets are what make the whole matzah ball worth it. But with the Jets, between the preseason tickets and constant seasons where you are forced to pay for meaningless December games, it's just a real shame. 

Worth noting that the reseller market wasn't nearly what it is now when they built the stadium. So it's hard to fault PSL owners for not having some foresight on that end.

35 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My older son moved down to Florida in August, and I hold 3 seats in 137 for me and my two sons.  On games where my daughter or wife won't attend, I've been selling those 3 on Stub Hub and waiting until game day to buy a pair on stub Hub for me and my younger son.  Here are the results of my sales:

Like you, I've found that in the 7 seasons I've had PSL seats I've broken even or made a small profit on the 1-2 games a year I cannot attend each year.  Big team like the Steelers comes to town, I can get 2x face value.  Little team like Jacksonville comes to town, I can get 1x face value.  Preseason is a loss, but the Giants game every other year is another money maker when I choose to sell.  My parking pass gets me 2x face value.

Point being, between recouping the money on games I cannot attend and the Jets holding off on price increases since 2008 (I mean, I just got hit with a $5 increase, it's insignificant) the PSL's actually turned out to be nothing.  I had anticipated my tickets going from $125 to $175 very quickly in a brand new stadium, thought Woody would immediately jack 'em up like they did between 2000 and 2008.  If you add up that $50 a game that I anticipated spending that I wound up not spending, it's like the PSL's never happened.

In the end, I can sit next to a consistent set of fans, have first dibs on the games I want to see, sell the rest, and that flexibility costs me nothing except writing a check to the Jets in April and waiting to recoup the money for games I didn't go to on the fly.  BFD.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

In 2016, season tickets are really only worth it for any sport, PSL or not, if the franchise is a consistent winner. Playoff tickets are what make the whole matzah ball worth it. But with the Jets, between the preseason tickets and constant seasons where you are forced to pay for meaningless December games, it's just a real shame. 

Worth noting that the reseller market wasn't nearly what it is now when they built the stadium. So it's hard to fault PSL owners for not having some foresight on that end.

firstrow_zpsdb840990.jpg

The ability to recoup money is location-dependent and those of us smart enough to pick the right sections (Dave and I being good examples) aren't getting hurt.  If anything, there are so few good seats in the stadium that don't carry Club premiums, the more action on StubHub the better, it means higher demand and lower supply.

I didn't choose Row 1, Aisle, Mezzanine, Club Adjacency, Visitors Side, Shady Side, NJ Transit Gate randomly.  Others used their noggin's as well.

SAR I

Oh and if someone out there was smart they'd start a reseller site that didn't charge higher buyer fees than seller fees. That sh*t is preposterous. Vivid and whatever the other one are even dumber. The sooner someone catches on to the idea that there's a way to put their scam out of business the better. I buy and resell a lot of other sh*t besides tickets and in my experience the ticket reseller market is the only industry that does sh*t this way. Viva la revolucion! 

Just now, SAR I said:

firstrow_zpsdb840990.jpg

The ability to recoup money is location-dependent and those of us smart enough to pick the right sections (Dave and I being good examples) aren't getting hurt.  If anything, there are so few good seats in the stadium that don't carry Club premiums, the more action on StubHub the better, it means higher demand and lower supply.

I didn't choose Row 1, Aisle, Mezzanine, Club Adjacency, Visitors Side, Shady Side, NJ Transit Gate randomly.  Others used their noggin's as well.

SAR I

Sure, but it's also a matter of time and effort. Being a stubhubber allows you to choose your battles and play the market, and you can kill it if you're savvy. When it comes to season tickets in my experience you're on the losing end if you're breaking even. At that point I'd rather save the time that goes with dealing with the listings, which can be a pain in the ass during a season like this. 

Not a knock on anyone that has PSLs. If you're happy, hey good for you. But my inability to choose the exact pinpoint seat in a stadium is well worth the exchange for me. I can get close enough, even closer if I'm feeling saucy that day aka my wife gives me permission. 

32 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Oh and if someone out there was smart they'd start a reseller site that didn't charge higher buyer fees than seller fees. That sh*t is preposterous. Vivid and whatever the other one are even dumber. The sooner someone catches on to the idea that there's a way to put their scam out of business the better. I buy and resell a lot of other sh*t besides tickets and in my experience the ticket reseller market is the only industry that does sh*t this way. Viva la revolucion! 

yeah but you get those sweet celebrity dvds waiting for you in your seats when you arrive

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

News Flash:  PSL's happened in 2008.  Last time I checked, that was 8 years ago.  There are only 16,000 people who wrote PSL checks to the Jets.  We could afford it.  We don't think about it anymore.  It was nothing more than a price increase of around $10 per ticket on average.  On Sunday I bought a beer at the stadium that cost more than my PSL's. 

Am I an utter idiot for buying a beer at a football game?  Or are you an utter idiot for spending the last decade concerning yourself with how rich people spend their fun money?

SAR I

Newsflash, it was a sucker deal in 08 and still is today. 

You buy a beer, you get a beer to drink and enjoy.  You buy a PSL and you get nothing.  You get the right to buy a ticket.  As long as you pay off that PSL.  A seat that the season before cost just the price of that ticket.  Nothing more.  

its one thing to pay up another to try and convince people it's a good deal. 

54 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

ESPN said there were 78,000 tickets sold for the Rams game. If in fact these are actual sales, not some gimmick, then we have to thank PSL owners for dirt cheap prices for the Rams game. Treat them nicely please. 

Precisely, well stated.

It's funny when those who try to condemn the PSL owners as stupid turn out to be the very ones buying our tickets.  We don't care if we lose a little money, the Jets don't care because we paid full price, the secondary buyers are happy because they pay below face value, so who exactly has an issue here?   Oh, that's right.  The people who had 50 yard line seats in Giants Stadium and sold them to scalpers. Yeah, their scam is over, they're out of business now.

SAR I

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Newsflash, it was a sucker deal in 08 and still is today. 

You buy a beer, you get a beer to drink and enjoy.  You buy a PSL and you get nothing.  You get the right to buy a ticket.  As long as you pay off that PSL.  A seat that the season before cost just the price of that ticket.  Nothing more.  

its one thing to pay up another to try and convince people it's a good deal. 

It's a good deal because it is the only way to get a set of consistent seats, with a good view, next to fans that grow to become your lifelong friends.

If that part of being a season ticket holder is not important to you, definitely don't get PSL's, just stream Stubhub on an as-need basis.

Either way, we are talking about frivolous, luxury entertainment spending here, there is nothing "smart" about it.  It is to what degree one is willing to spend for the most convenience and the best possible experience.  Some fly coach, some fly first class.  You can argue we both get to the same place at the same time, but how we get there is an entirely different thing.

SAR I

Seemed somewhat related to the discussion.  To me the 2 years of tax dollars seems a waste.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/15/schneiderman-strikes-deal-with-nfl-over-ticket-pricing/

Schneiderman strikes deal with NFL over ticket pricing

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman spiked the football on Tuesday and claimed victory over the NFL and artificial price floors on the secondary ticket market.

Schneiderman announced a deal with the NFL, which agreed it will no longer set price floors for tickets sold on the secondary market.

Those floors force higher price tags and minimize free market forces.

“No sports fan should be forced to buy, or sell, a ticket at an artificially inflated price,” Schneidermann said.

“Under the NFL’s price floor scheme, fans were forced to pay inflated prices for even the lead desirable NFL games. That is a slap to both sports fans and free markets.”

But the deal could be more symbolic than real, because it still allows individual teams to set pricing floors even if the league itself can’t mandate such a minimum.

Schneiderman’s team said the deal will at least force individual franchises to publicly disclose price floors – so fans can decide whether to do business with that club in future seasons.

The NFL deal involved prosecutors from New York, Florida, Ohio, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia.

An NFL rep said his side was pleased with the deal – claiming that it showed no fans were ever injured by any league pricing structures.

“The settlement agreement confirms that the state AGs have concluded their two-year investigation and did not identify any injury to consumers resulting from the league-wide Ticket Exchange price floor, alone or in combination with other ticketing practices,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

“The resale marketplace for tickets to NFL games is robust and highly competitive. The NFL wants our fans to have numerous, convenient, consumer-friendly options through which to buy and

sell game tickets, and the settlement agreement reflects that commitment.”

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's a good deal because it is the only way to get a set of consistent seats, with a good view, next to fans that grow to become your lifelong friends.

If that part of being a season ticket holder is not important to you, definitely don't get PSL's, just stream Stubhub on an as-need basis.

Either way, we are talking about frivolous, luxury entertainment spending here, there is nothing "smart" about it.  It is to what degree one is willing to spend for the most convenience and the best possible experience.  Some fly coach, some fly first class.  You can argue we both get to the same place at the same time, but how we get there is an entirely different thing.

SAR I

It's a shlt deal and isn't as good as what I had before.  Paying for years to the Jets got me nothing.  So while I get that they can ass fu(k fans so will, doesn't mean I'm an idiot who makes believe it's a good deal

Still have mine, I can personally afford it, so I don't pay any mind to the price.  I hold the opposite opinion of the "old farts".  Yeah, they hogged the "good seats", but they gave us a home field advantage that just isn't there anymore.  Stadium doesn't get loud, sans 1-2 games a year.  I only have 1 group of guys in my section that are regulars.  At the old place, we had several rows of regulars who never sold their tickets.  Too many one game a year nuts that go absolutely overboard with the booze and fighting.  Really unruly out of town fans.  I could go on and on.  Looking back I would have rather the Giants just give the other place another face lift and continue to lease.  Everybody I know, including some Jet fans, still refer to the place as Giants Stadium anyway.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

Mine is that it was no longer time for me to saddle myself with 10 games a season at 1700 per ticket to see the kind of mostly crappy football being played by the Jets

I was thankfully able to find a buyer and recouped roughly 25% of the cost of my PSLs which IMHO is better than anyone has done since MetLife opened (90% or more who just defaulted and got no recoupment) and very probably better than anybody trying to unload this "Madoff quality Investment Gold" in the future since the ugly air conditioner is now approaching 10 years and odds are good it will be scrapped in another 15 leaving PSL holders holding an empty bag.

Archived