Jets Passing Offense Film Review – Week 10 (Rams) Petty Crimes

JetNation

week-10-petty-bad-petty-10

Bryce Petty made his debut for the Jets, and led them to a grand six points.  While he had some good throws, there were a fair share of terrible throws from Petty as well.  Let’s examine some of these bad throws:

Petty Crime:

1) week-10-petty-bad-petty-1

This is a 2nd and 6 play in the second quarter, with the Rams operating in a single high safety look.  On the pre-snap look, the receivers to the right side of the formation is playing well off the line, indicating that there is a good chance of Marshall being open on the comeback route.  Since, this is a single high safety look, it’s usually the case that the defender doesn’t take an aggressive reaction to curl routes because they have to protect over the top.  However, the Rams’ CB makes a great read on this play, and he’s running towards Marshall even before Petty throws this pass.  This is just a horrible pass by Petty, and comes right from the Ryan Fitzpatrick school of predetermined throws based on pre-snap reads.  The pre-snap read indicated that Marshall should be open, and when Petty decides to throw this pass, Marshall was still slated to be open.  However, the defender has this pass perfectly read and makes a great run at the ball, which is lucky it wasn’t intercepted.  This type of play is one of the biggest reasons why the Jets need to take more shots down the field, because teams have to respect receivers running down the field.

2) week-10-petty-bad-petty-2

A 2nd and 8 play late in the second quarter, with the Rams in a single high safety look.  The pre-snap read indicates that the defender playing Enunwa in the slot is the furthest back and has the best chance to be open on this play.  The big problem here is the risk aversion from Petty because he’s looking at Enunwa on the play, but he’s not quite as open as he expected.  This is one of the biggest issues with transitioning from a spread system to a pro system, because QBs are trained to go for receivers that are open by at least a couple of yards.  Enunwa had the inside position on this play down the middle, so Petty should have taken the shot here.  However, Petty pump fakes, and then resets, trying to hit Robby Anderson running the underneath route, but gets sacked before he could restart the throwing motion.  The ability to take more risks, especially in such cases, is going to go a long way in determining if Petty is going to be a starter in this league.  He had the pre-snap read right, but the receiver wasn’t as open as he expected, but he has to take the shot because his guy still had the inside option.  On the other hand, we have been harping on Fitzpatrick for his lack of progressions, and in this case, Petty was going to his second read when he got sacked, thus part of the blame has to go on the offensive line.

3) week-10-petty-bad-petty-3

This is of course the most famous missed throw of the game, with Petty missing a wide open Robby Anderson on this play.   The pre-snap recognition on this play is great, because Petty notices that the defender on Anderson is playing off the line.  However, the defender runs back towards the safety spot, which indicates that Anderson has a free release and should be wide open.  Petty aces this test, right up until this point.  Then he completely flushes it down the toilet with a horrible throw.  Robby Anderson is wide open for the pass, but Petty tries to lead him too much to hit him in stride, but Anderson slows down a bit, and Petty throws it high and ahead of him.  This is a great play design by Chan Gailey as well, so it’s a shame that it fails.  The whole key of this play is the corner back playing Robby Anderson.  If the defender stays on Anderson, then Jalin Marshall in the slot next to Anderson has a shot to be open down the middle with no safety help.  When the defender on Anderson runs back to play safety, the defender crossing over from Jalin Marshall is too far away, leaving Anderson wide open.  If in any case, the middle safety comes over to this side, the Jets have a deep route on the other side of the field.  This play design is built to be an absolute monster of a play, but Petty’s bad throw makes it all for not.  Once again, Petty shows good awareness on the field, noticing the late movement and coverage, but just a terrible throw.

4) week-10-petty-bad-petty-4

Another play late in the 2nd quarter with the Rams playing single high safety again.  This one is hard to call because all the evidence suggests a miscommunication.  The read on this play is Robby Anderson, with his defender backing up as Anderson is starting his route.  Petty correctly deducts that Anderson should be open on this play, but he expects Anderson to move towards the middle of the field, instead of running the out route.  Petty begins his throwing motion assuming Anderson is about to turn towards the middle of the field, and correctly seeing that he’d be wide open.  However,  Anderson turns outside, and Petty tries his hardest to hold back the throw, but fails and throws it to the ground.  Most likely, this was a misunderstanding on the part of Petty because the tiered route from Enunwa and Anderson is something that’s seen fairly often from Chan Gailey, so it’s more likely that Petty was the one who didn’t know the route tree on this play.  This is one reason why the Jets need to declare him a starter early, and let him get some much needed practice time so he can gel with the receivers.

5) week-10-petty-bad-petty-5

On this play, Bryce Petty tries too hard to hold the safety with his eyes.  He is eyeing the safety down the middle on this throw, and then tries to make this throw before he even looks at the crossing Enunwa.  He had already begun his throwing motion when he looks over at Enunwa, and just airmails the throw.  This is another case of correct read, but bad throw.  Instead of leading Enunwa, Petty throws this pass high and a bit behind his receiver, and is lucky that there were no defenders directly in the path.  It’s just a bad throw, as Petty was trying too hard to hold the safety and didn’t set himself up correctly before making this throw.  During the draft, you heard much about foot mechanics with Christian Hackenberg.  When it boils down to it, the ball travels to where your lead foot points towards, to state it simply.  In this case, Petty was so enthralled with keeping the safety deep (which prevents the outside CB from dropping down) that he doesn’t set his feet properly for this throw.  This is just a terrible throw, caused by bad mechanics on this throw.  For the correct form, Petty needed to make up his mind a bit early, and then set his foot towards Enunwa.

6) week-10-petty-bad-petty-6

This play is why the Rams are an elite defense, as they are in a single high safety look with man coverage across the board and a blitz.  Petty realizes that he doesn’t have much time to make a play here, so he goes with the pre-snap read, which indicated that Anderson may have a chance at gaining inside leverage.  This was the safest option in the pre-snap reads in the face of a blitz, knowing that the middle of the field would be vacated.  However, the defender on Anderson sticks to him like glue and makes a great play on the ball, swatting the ball away.  While there are other options open later on the play, Marshall in the slot and the outside receiver to the left of the formation gains a bit of separation down the field, Petty couldn’t take the chance of that being his first read since it would take too long to develop.  This play happens on a 3rd and short, so Petty correctly goes for the pass to Anderson to get the conversion, but it’s foiled by the defender.  Another reason why the Jets need to take more shots down the field, because as the game goes on, the Rams were hedging their bets on the short passes.

7) week-10-petty-bad-petty-7

The Rams are in a two safety look, with the Jets in a four receiver set.   Petty’s first read is Quincy Enunwa on this play because his defender is playing off the receiver.  However, the middle linebacker also drops back into coverage, which throws off Petty.  He quickly looks at Brandon Marshall running down the field, but he’s well covered.  This turn in the progression is unfortunate because Charone Peake runs wide open down the field, but Petty is too busy trying to escape the pocket.  It’s a bad timing for the Jets because Peake becomes open just as Petty decides to run to the left of the formation.  Petty then makes a bad throw while running to the left, and throws the ball to the turf.  This is a tough throw for a right handed QB, because his momentum and body positioning is away from his desired target, so almost all QBs have trouble with these types of throws.  Only a handful of QBs can make this kind of throws on a consistent basis.  This was another situation where Petty could have helped himself by running a bit more vertical.

8) week-10-petty-bad-petty-8

This is just a bad read by Petty, and a great play by Alec Ogletree for the Rams.  Petty correctly reads the defense on the pre-snap read and looks towards the left of the formation.  From his pre-snap read, he determines that his read is the defender on Enunwa, so when that defender backs up, he figures this is a wide open pass.  Bryce Petty doesn’t see Ogletree at all because he’s locked in on Enunwa, who he figured he would be wide open.  If Ogletree had not run back from the defensive line, this is a great read and pass.  Unfortunately, that’s not the case and this is almost an interception.  Petty has to do a better job at recognizing coverage, and seeing players drop back from the line of scrimmage.

9) week-10-petty-bad-petty-9

This play is very similar to an earlier play in this article.  The Jets are driving down the field, and on third down, they need to convert.  The Rams are playing back, so Bryce Petty looks to the left of the formation on this play to start.  However, he shows an inability to make a decision on this pass, which ends up being a deflected pass.  His first and second read from the left side of the formation is covered, which causes Petty to pump fake, and by the time he sees a crossing Robby Anderson, the ball is batted.  The misfortune for the Jets is that Bilal Powell is wide open for a screen pass to the right of the formation, but Petty had made the pre-snap read to read from left to right.  Bryce Petty needed to make a decision on this pass a bit earlier, and move through his progressions faster.  This pass needs to go to Anderson earlier, and hope that he can run for the first down.

10) week-10-petty-bad-petty-10

The final throw of the game for Bryce Petty, and it ends in tragedy.  The pre-snap read shows the Rams in a 2 deep safety look, and Petty sees that Enunwa should have had a chance for a catch.  Unfortunately, the ball is placed to the inside of Enunwa, which allows for Alec Ogletree to make a play on the ball, and rip it away from Enunwa.  Replays show that Quincy Enunwa actually caught the ball, but Ogletree just makes a great play on the ball.  Unfortunately, for the Jets, the coverage on Brandon Marshall was deceptive because the defender hedges his bet against a short pass (same as the first play of this article) so Marshall runs right by him.  However, on the pre-snap read, Petty figures out that Enunwa has a better match up, lined up against a linebacker.  It’s just bad ball placement on the ball, and a bad break that it was intercepted away from a receiver that actually made the catch.  Petty has to do a better job with the placement of the ball.

Conclusion:

Bryce Petty made his debut for the Jets, and he did make his fair share of good throws.  However, he did also make some bad reads and then some terrible throws.  The missed TD pass to Robby Anderson was probably the biggest miss of the game for Petty.   Petty seemed much more comfortable in the first half, but the Jets seemed overly committed to running the ball against the Rams.  There were a few occasions where it felt like Petty couldn’t establish a rhythm because he was only allowed to pass on obvious passing downs.  Petty did show a penchant for making good pre-snap reads, so it looks like the pre-snap mental aspect of the game is up to speed with him.  He now needs to improve his progressions during the play, which he can only do with game time.  The Jets need to take more chances with a deep passing game, which they would have to do against the Patriots if they want to stay in the game.  One thing to consider, Ryan Fitzpatrick was hurt last week and may not have been ready to go in the game.  If that was the case, it would explain why he was unwillingly to run during this game.  Petty showed enough promise against a very good defense, but he also showed plenty of flaws.  The Jets need to let him start the rest of the season to find out if he’s a possible starter in the future, or if the Jets need to look elsewhere.  Fitzpatrick isn’t going to be here next year, so there is no point in starting him this year.

Petty Grade:  C

Forum Questions:

A)  How do you feel about Petty’s debut?

B)  What are the areas of the game that needs to be improved?

C)  How would you help Petty assimilate into the game?

Thank you for reading our Film Review series again once again.  With the Jets on a bye-week, we won’t have a Film Review article next week.  

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
KEZ9IXAMlOw

Click here to read the full story...

A. I wish the Jets would have let him throw more on early downs.  To start the game, they literally were only letting him throw on 3rd down, the pressure down.  I understand they were trying to establish the run vs. a good pass rush and a solid secondary but why?  The ******* season is over, give the kid a chance to make some plays on early downs.  I thought the coaching staff did an absolutely horrible job of breaking him in.  Like I said in another thread, might as well have sent him out there in one of these:

Bumperball-Plastic-Bubble-Suit-2.jpg

B.  I've been looking forward to this because it did seem he wasnt letting plays develop and he even said so himself...but then you look at the film and nobody was open sans a few plays.  This wasnt the typical cut up for Fitz where players are open all over the field and he just doesnt see them or cant get the ball to them.  For the most part, the Rams had great coverage.  I know this is only a sample of plays but it sure didnt seem like the WR's were getting the separation we're used to seeing on these cut ups. 

C.  This goes back to my first point, let him throw early.  Give him a few easy reads, let him throw some short throws on early downs and let him find a rhythm.  This is kid who played in a high paced, high powered offense at Baylor.  He's used to going fast and getting in a grove.  Let him do somethings he's comfortable with to get him going.  I would have played with a little more tempo.  Under Gailey, this offense is very methodical.  Even when trailing, there never seems to be an urgency or tempo.  I would have loved to see them play with more tempo and even maybe tried some no huddle like Petty is used to from his college days.  And then once he's got his feet under him, let him take some shots down field.  Sure, he missed Anderson on an easy TD but he also threw a nice ball to him on the sidelines from out of his endzone.  

Overall, I didnt think Petty was bad.  He showed some good and some bad.  Which is to be expected from a 4th round project.  It literally looked the coaching staff did all they could to put in him a position to NOT succeed.  Run, run, pass - all game long.  If the Jets were playing for something, I could get the game plan. But they're not.  So let it rip! 

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

A. I wish the Jets would have let him throw more on early downs.  To start the game, they literally were only letting him throw on 3rd down, the pressure down.  I understand they were trying to establish the run vs. a good pass rush and a solid secondary but why?  The ******* season is over, give the kid a chance to make some plays on early downs.  I thought the coaching staff did an absolutely horrible job of breaking him in.  Like I said in another thread, might as well have sent him out there in one of these:

B.  I've been looking forward to this because it did seem he wasnt letting plays develop and he even said so himself...but then you look at the film and nobody was open sans a few plays.  This wasnt the typical cut up for Fitz where players are open all over the field and he just doesnt see them or cant get the ball to them.  For the most part, the Rams had great coverage.  I know this is only a sample of plays but it sure didnt seem like the WR's were getting the separation we're used to seeing on these cut ups. 

C.  This goes back to my first point, let him throw early.  Give him a few easy reads, let him throw some short throws on early downs and let him find a rhythm.  This is kid who played in a high paced, high powered offense at Baylor.  He's used to going fast and getting in a grove.  Let him do somethings he's comfortable with to get him going.  I would have played with a little more tempo.  Under Gailey, this offense is very methodical.  Even when trailing, there never seems to be an urgency or tempo.  I would have loved to see them play with more tempo and even maybe tried some no huddle like Petty is used to from his college days.  And then once he's got his feet under him, let him take some shots down field.  Sure, he missed Anderson on an easy TD but he also threw a nice ball to him on the sidelines from out of his endzone.  

Overall, I didnt think Petty was bad.  He showed some good and some bad.  Which is to be expected from a 4th round project.  It literally looked the coaching staff did all they could to put in him a position to NOT succeed.  Run, run, pass - all game long.  If the Jets were playing for something, I could get the game plan. But they're not.  So let it rip! 

Well said sweet one. Basically it was like taking a kid out for a driving test and leaving the parking break on. Ineffective, hard to watch and you absolutely know nothing more about the kids ability  than you did before the test. . 

The mental aspect seems to be there which is half the battle, once Petty feels a little more comfortable on the field and with more practice time with our receivers you hope some of those bad throws improve which is why Bowles needs to stop screwing around and name him the starter.  I mentioned this before but on the overthrown ball to Anderson yes, it was a bad throw by Petty but Anderson also slowed down and to me it was more of a situation where you had a QB and WR who just haven't had enough practice time together to gel.  Don't underestimate the injuries on the o-line having a major affect on the gameplan either.  That's a good d-line that can bring pressure, I don't think our CS trusted the O-Line enough at all to give Petty the time to let plays develops hence the focus on short passes and the running game.  All in all for a 4th rd project making his first start against a good Defense with our banged up O-Line I saw enough there to warrant giving him more playing time.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Well yeah but would like to see him try without the parking break on.  

Well according to Petty the parking brake was off, he just kept slamming on the brakes because he didn't know what was going on. In other words when they designed plays for him to throw deep he either checked down, missed the throw or threw a terrible pass. Not much Gailey can do there. 

He looked like a guy making his 1st NFL start against a good team.

I never understand coaches putting in an ultra conservative game plan to help a young QB.  It doesn't help.  The defense crowds up, and receivers have less space to work in.  That said, you hit Robbie Anderson deep a second time, and maybe try a 3rd, and that'll get the defense back a few steps.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

A.  I agree, the Jets seemed to really rely on the run, and then once they got the lead went into a complete shell offense.  I think the biggest issue was that they expected much more blitzing from the Rams because they are an aggressive defense, but the Rams played back a bit more than often, which screwed up their plans.  To beat this defense, they had to take more shots down the field but once they had the lead, it was a very safe offense, trying not to lose.  

B.  The Rams are a very good defense, so it was harder for guys to get open and they were excellent at disguising their coverage.  They gave zone look for man coverage and vice versa a few times, and it really confused the QB.  The one thing I did like about Petty was that, he was much better going through his progressions, which led to a sack and a couple of incomplete passes.  He needs to get more playing time because he was half a second late on his progressions, so he needs to play more to speed up his progressions.   

C.  The issue with the offense is that, it relies on a lot of pre-snap reads, which usually works well in hurry up offenses.  However, they huddle as well, which slows down the game to a crawl.  After every huddle, the QB has to get to the line, and call out the audibles with blitzers, which drives down the time.  I wish they went faster as well, but it might be hard with a new QB.  They need to throw it more often for sure.  There was one series I believe in the second quarter where Petty seemed to be getting into rhythm, and then they ran it 3 times in a row and punted.  

Yeah, the game plan was too conservative, although Petty apparently admitted that he played it safe as well.  He needs to take more shots down the field and play with less fear.  I think it's important for Bowles to say that he is the starter the rest of the season, so he's not making every throw while looking over his shoulder for Fitz.  

6 hours ago, August said:

He was bad but it was his first game, all we can hope for is that he improves as he gets more playing time. 

He should improve as he plays more.  I liked the progressions, quick releases, and arm strength, so it's a matter of time before he improves.  Now it remains to be seen if that is good enough to be a consistent starter.  

5 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

The mental aspect seems to be there which is half the battle, once Petty feels a little more comfortable on the field and with more practice time with our receivers you hope some of those bad throws improve which is why Bowles needs to stop screwing around and name him the starter.  I mentioned this before but on the overthrown ball to Anderson yes, it was a bad throw by Petty but Anderson also slowed down and to me it was more of a situation where you had a QB and WR who just haven't had enough practice time together to gel.  Don't underestimate the injuries on the o-line having a major affect on the gameplan either.  That's a good d-line that can bring pressure, I don't think our CS trusted the O-Line enough at all to give Petty the time to let plays develops hence the focus on short passes and the running game.  All in all for a 4th rd project making his first start against a good Defense with our banged up O-Line I saw enough there to warrant giving him more playing time.

Yeah, I think the D-line vs O-line battle definitely factored into the short passing game as well.  However, they need to do more to possibly let routes develop to see the deep pass.  Maybe, take Petty out of the pocket to the left so you can block better to one side, and then see the routes develop.  He showed good skills and decent recognition, but made some bad throws as well.  The Anderson throw was mostly on Petty though, because that ball wasn't just in front of Anderson, it was too high as well.   

5 hours ago, August said:

Well according to Petty the parking brake was off, he just kept slamming on the brakes because he didn't know what was going on. In other words when they designed plays for him to throw deep he either checked down, missed the throw or threw a terrible pass. Not much Gailey can do there. 

Yeah, I think he played scared because once they got the lead, he didn't want to make the bad turnover.  I think part of the problem is that, he's too afraid to screw up with Fitz on his back.  Bowles really needs to stand behind Petty and say he's our starter going forward this season.  

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

He looked like a guy making his 1st NFL start against a good team.

I never understand coaches putting in an ultra conservative game plan to help a young QB.  It doesn't help.  The defense crowds up, and receivers have less space to work in.  That said, you hit Robbie Anderson deep a second time, and maybe try a 3rd, and that'll get the defense back a few steps.

They played it safe for sure, but it was so much running that was predictable.  First down and second down? Run with the RB right up the middle.  They need to mix in different plays, and yeah going deep as well.  

Great analysis.  Pretty much what I'm getting from this breakdown is Petty needs more reps with the starters and more ingame experience.  He basically has the mental part down outside of some advanced recognition development that will happen over time and I think the passes missed and hesitation that he had will also go away with more chemistry with the starters.  He does need to learn in those pressure situations to always know where Marshall is and if you are taking a chance it should be to Marshall.  I can't put all the blame on Petty with the end of game INT.  I know he put it inside, but I've seen countless QBs do the same thing, Enunwa got beat plain and simple, the pass was good enough to be caught, its Enunwa's responsibility to not have the ball taken away from him.

Very disappointed the gameplan didn't utilize designed roll outs and/or play actions with half the field reads more at least in the 1st half of the game.  Easier for your QB to build the confidence with high success plays and then the whole field in the 2nd half when LA would have adjusted to the first half gameplan.

34 minutes ago, win4ever said:

They played it safe for sure, but it was so much running that was predictable.  First down and second down? Run with the RB right up the middle.  They need to mix in different plays, and yeah going deep as well.  

It's not even go deep, but... play action?  Run a 15 yard pattern, something other than a flip to the running back.

I don't know, maybe it was called and Petty just pulled a Chad and checked down every time.

8 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Great analysis.  Pretty much what I'm getting from this breakdown is Petty needs more reps with the starters and more ingame experience.  He basically has the mental part down outside of some advanced recognition development that will happen over time and I think the passes missed and hesitation that he had will also go away with more chemistry with the starters.  He does need to learn in those pressure situations to always know where Marshall is and if you are taking a chance it should be to Marshall.  I can't put all the blame on Petty with the end of game INT.  I know he put it inside, but I've seen countless QBs do the same thing, Enunwa got beat plain and simple, the pass was good enough to be caught, its Enunwa's responsibility to not have the ball taken away from him.

Very disappointed the gameplan didn't utilize designed roll outs and/or play actions with half the field reads more at least in the 1st half of the game.  Easier for your QB to build the confidence with high success plays and then the whole field in the 2nd half when LA would have adjusted to the first half gameplan.

Thanks.  

Petty showed a lot of good qualities, but he also struggled at times.  I'm not sure if that was because of the defense, the coaching staff, or if he got ultra conservative with the lead.  However, he was much better than Fitzpatrick with his progression, but that's not saying much.  

The INT is actually just a GREAT play by Ogletree.  The replays shower the Enunwa actually caught the ball with two hands, and Ogletree had his hand between Enunwa's near the elbow.  Usually, the worst case scenario here is that, the defender just knocks the ball out, but Ogletree wrestled the ball away from him somehow with just one hand.  Enunwa was better off just dropping the ball.  

I think they install a better game plan next game with more time to set up for the Pats, as long as Bowles grows some balls and benches Fitz for good.  

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

It's not even go deep, but... play action?  Run a 15 yard pattern, something other than a flip to the running back.

I don't know, maybe it was called and Petty just pulled a Chad and checked down every time.

The Rams played the intermediate area of this game well because they have some fast linebackers.  They needed to go deep more often to open up the short passing game, but with the lead, they deemed it unsafe.

Thanks....

Just a wonderful write up as always!!!

I was actually looking forward to this break down of Petty's performance more than one emphasizing what he did right.  The key is he can get way better but against a very good defense, one that was designed to exploit our somewhat weak OL, that was a fairly good performance.

Petty was ok for a first game, not bad, just ok, when he would have had to be off the chart to make a true impact in that game on a regular basis.

I will end with this; your posts on this site really make me a better fan and I can't thank you enough for that!!! :) 

12 hours ago, win4ever said:

Thanks.  

Petty showed a lot of good qualities, but he also struggled at times.  I'm not sure if that was because of the defense, the coaching staff, or if he got ultra conservative with the lead.  However, he was much better than Fitzpatrick with his progression, but that's not saying much.  

The INT is actually just a GREAT play by Ogletree.  The replays shower the Enunwa actually caught the ball with two hands, and Ogletree had his hand between Enunwa's near the elbow.  Usually, the worst case scenario here is that, the defender just knocks the ball out, but Ogletree wrestled the ball away from him somehow with just one hand.  Enunwa was better off just dropping the ball.  

I think they install a better game plan next game with more time to set up for the Pats, as long as Bowles grows some balls and benches Fitz for good.  

The Rams played the intermediate area of this game well because they have some fast linebackers.  They needed to go deep more often to open up the short passing game, but with the lead, they deemed it unsafe.

Hey dude, I didn't even realize you have like 3 different threads that are all breakdowns from the game.  You definitely deserve more exposure with these threads as I know it takes a hell of a lot of time to make these.  I would suggest you put links to the other threads in your main post and vice versa for the other threads.  I'm sure a lot of people are like me and don't tend to browse off the 1st page in the forum so they can get lost unfortunately if no one posts in them for even a couple hours.  I'd also suggest to the mods to consider stickying them to the top of the forum for the remainder of that week.

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thanks....

Just a wonderful write up as always!!!

I was actually looking forward to this break down of Petty's performance more than one emphasizing what he did right.  The key is he can get way better but against a very good defense, one that was designed to exploit our somewhat weak OL, that was a fairly good performance.

Petty was ok for a first game, not bad, just ok, when he would have had to be off the chart to make a true impact in that game on a regular basis.

I will end with this; your posts on this site really make me a better fan and I can't thank you enough for that!!! :) 

Thanks.

He actually looked a bit better than I expected when I watched the game, made some impressive throws for sure.  He shows good skills, but still needs to put it together.  Even on the bad plays, he shows very good ability to throw the quick pass, which is actually a benefit of the Baylor system.  A lot of QBs (especially Hackenberg) have trouble with this because they can't get optimal grip on the ball before they have to throw it.  Petty showed a real good ability with that aspect.  

Thanks man, I know that there are usually only a select few people that read these (especially since they are so long) so I really appreciate you taking the time to read these on a regular basis.  I think there might be about 3-4 guys I know that read these on a regular basis, lol.   I started doing these because I got tired of the constant back and forth on opinions on the games, without any supporting evidence.  It would almost always be statistical.  I figured this would help out much more to give subjective analysis since it's a team game, rather than an individual game.  I have made..............zero dents in trying to curtail those arguments in the forum, lol.  

2 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Hey dude, I didn't even realize you have like 3 different threads that are all breakdowns from the game.  You definitely deserve more exposure with these threads as I know it takes a hell of a lot of time to make these.  I would suggest you put links to the other threads in your main post and vice versa for the other threads.  I'm sure a lot of people are like me and don't tend to browse off the 1st page in the forum so they can get lost unfortunately if no one posts in them for even a couple hours.  I'd also suggest to the mods to consider stickying them to the top of the forum for the remainder of that week.

Thanks.

It does take time, so I usually just do it over two night and just schedule it to post in the morning so people can read it at work, lol.  It used to be one long post with all the different categories in the same post.  But with all the GIFs, I felt like it really dragged down the loading times on phones, so I thought it'd be better to just separate them, so there isn't one 5000 word article to look at.  

The one thing I found surprising was that, not a lot of people defended Fitz in these threads.  This year, there were a ton of chatter about Fitz, so I expected the "Good Fitz" articles to receiver a fair share of feedback, but it would be very little, which I found surprising.  It would always be the Bad Fitz one that got attention.  I usually start with the intention of linking the articles, but I finish these around 3 or 4 at night and then schedule them to be posted.  So when I wake up in the morning on short sleep, I'm really tired and lazy to edit it before I start my work or school work.  

I also think the large size of these really scare people away at times.  I know TOJ does Film Review (with an excellent context stats article) but most sites do very few select plays, so they get more people to respond and read.  I even saw a Newsday film review yesterday I believe with about 6 or 7 plays.  I think my problem is that I write too much with these reviews, which makes it very hard to read for people.  Heck, even I hate proofreading these after writing them because it's so long.  Eventually, I think the the film breakdown type articles are going to be more prevalent around the league with main stream media outlets, at which point I have to find something else to stand out.  One thing I do wish they would do is All 22 for college games because I wanted to do scouting reports on prospects before or after the draft, but it's much harder to do so on broadcast tapes.  

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

Thanks.

He actually looked a bit better than I expected when I watched the game, made some impressive throws for sure.  He shows good skills, but still needs to put it together.  Even on the bad plays, he shows very good ability to throw the quick pass, which is actually a benefit of the Baylor system.  A lot of QBs (especially Hackenberg) have trouble with this because they can't get optimal grip on the ball before they have to throw it.  Petty showed a real good ability with that aspect.  

Thanks man, I know that there are usually only a select few people that read these (especially since they are so long) so I really appreciate you taking the time to read these on a regular basis.  I think there might be about 3-4 guys I know that read these on a regular basis, lol.   I started doing these because I got tired of the constant back and forth on opinions on the games, without any supporting evidence.  It would almost always be statistical.  I figured this would help out much more to give subjective analysis since it's a team game, rather than an individual game.  I have made..............zero dents in trying to curtail those arguments in the forum, lol.  

Thanks.

It does take time, so I usually just do it over two night and just schedule it to post in the morning so people can read it at work, lol.  It used to be one long post with all the different categories in the same post.  But with all the GIFs, I felt like it really dragged down the loading times on phones, so I thought it'd be better to just separate them, so there isn't one 5000 word article to look at.  

The one thing I found surprising was that, not a lot of people defended Fitz in these threads.  This year, there were a ton of chatter about Fitz, so I expected the "Good Fitz" articles to receiver a fair share of feedback, but it would be very little, which I found surprising.  It would always be the Bad Fitz one that got attention.  I usually start with the intention of linking the articles, but I finish these around 3 or 4 at night and then schedule them to be posted.  So when I wake up in the morning on short sleep, I'm really tired and lazy to edit it before I start my work or school work.  

I also think the large size of these really scare people away at times.  I know TOJ does Film Review (with an excellent context stats article) but most sites do very few select plays, so they get more people to respond and read.  I even saw a Newsday film review yesterday I believe with about 6 or 7 plays.  I think my problem is that I write too much with these reviews, which makes it very hard to read for people.  Heck, even I hate proofreading these after writing them because it's so long.  Eventually, I think the the film breakdown type articles are going to be more prevalent around the league with main stream media outlets, at which point I have to find something else to stand out.  One thing I do wish they would do is All 22 for college games because I wanted to do scouting reports on prospects before or after the draft, but it's much harder to do so on broadcast tapes.  

No doubt, I made one of these back in the summer when the dude from TOJ was breaking down Geno play by play on twitter and due to the size of them, they definitely aren't for everybody.  With that said, I wouldn't shorten it, what makes yours stand out is the fact that you very carefully breakdown so much more then what other sites would do.  I really appreciate that b/c I'm the type that does like to see it all broken down instead of select or handful of plays that don't give you the whole picture of the game and what may have gone right or wrong since others are just breaking things down in a vacuum.  Anyway I look forward to these every week and I may not even get through all of them each week, some weeks I'm just too depressed to read about the Jets lol.  But I hope you keep at it and know there are definitely at least a handful of us that really appreciate all the work.  I learn a lot from these breakdowns since I've never coached or played organized football, so each and every one of these teaches me something so they aren't all for naught.  And they will come especially handy during next offseason when I'll probably go back and revisit most of these breakdowns.

Keep up the fantastic work and I hope you don't stop being so detailed!

3 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

No doubt, I made one of these back in the summer when the dude from TOJ was breaking down Geno play by play on twitter and due to the size of them, they definitely aren't for everybody.  With that said, I wouldn't shorten it, what makes yours stand out is the fact that you very carefully breakdown so much more then what other sites would do.  I really appreciate that b/c I'm the type that does like to see it all broken down instead of select or handful of plays that don't give you the whole picture of the game and what may have gone right or wrong since others are just breaking things down in a vacuum.  Anyway I look forward to these every week and I may not even get through all of them each week, some weeks I'm just too depressed to read about the Jets lol.  But I hope you keep at it and know there are definitely at least a handful of us that really appreciate all the work.  I learn a lot from these breakdowns since I've never coached or played organized football, so each and every one of these teaches me something so they aren't all for naught.  And they will come especially handy during next offseason when I'll probably go back and revisit most of these breakdowns.

Keep up the fantastic work and I hope you don't stop being so detailed!

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

I feel the same way, I just can't do a basic one because it bothers me not to explain myself, and I can't seem to be explain things in short paragraphs, lol.  I see more re-tweets and shares with the lesser worded film break downs, but I kinda feel like I'm not going after the mainstream fans, but rather targeting the hardcore guys.  For example, my wife is trying to get into Football, so I usually send her the link so she can read it, but she loses interest about 2 plays down because it get complicated for her.  

I love all kinds of breakdowns, because I think it really enhances the appreciation.  I know SNY has Pennington do them sometimes, but it's usually just one or two plays.  I remember a few years ago when I had time to watch like NFL Today or whatever on ESPN, they had Jaw's tapes, which really broke down the game well.  I get so tired of arguments sometime, because most people just go from emotion with these, like "Geno sucks" or just purely stats like all the people that loved Fitz this off season. I hope at least some folks can actually see beyond the stats so they are more informed.  Although, by no means do I actually consider myself a football expert.  My HS didn't even have football, and my college got rid of it soon after I was there, although it wasn't like I would have made either team anyway.  I just love these breakdowns all over the place, so I watch a ton of them and pick up stuff, and go from there.  I wish more people would do them though, because, while it's time consuming, it's so much better than reading these articles about the Jets that just push ideas that are mundane.  For example, all of off season, I supported the group that said we should move on from Fitz, and I remember a few of the regular people that read the breakdowns last year agreed.  And it was because they could see it for themselves, because I wasn't adding much with my analysis, just stating what I see on the play.  But a lot of them could see that the system saved him last year, but apparently the Jets weren't one of them, lol.  

Thanks again, yeah, I really have no idea how to write without detail, lol.  

Archived