..keep 'em or dump 'em ? ? ?

kelly

cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan declined to say whether CB Darrelle Revis will be back next season. They owe him $6M guaranteed in 2017, plus another $9M in non-guaranteed pay. "There are some glitches in his play, but he has played very well at times this year," Maccagnan said. "We have six games to go. We'll see how the season progresses and we'll evaluate it after the season." He declined to say whether he still thinks Revis is a top-5 corner.

The New York Jets are off, but we're not. Our weekly mailbag question looks into the future.

@RichCimini How many current starters do you see returning next year? #Jetsmail

~ ~  Big decisions loom after 2016. Maccagnan would not comment directly on the future of Sheldon Richardson with the Jets, and he would not confirm reports that the team shopped Richardson at the trade deadline.Maccagnan sent mixed signals when asked about Darrelle Revis, who recently told Newsday that his "body's breaking down" and told the Daily News that he is "old."

"There are probably plays that if you ask [Revis], he'd probably like to have back," Maccagnan said. "There are times where there are glitches in his play, but he has played well at times this year."Revis is owed a guaranteed $6 million next year. Leaving Wednesday's media session with Maccagnan, there was definitely the feeling that the Jets would be willing to part with both Richardson and Revis, two former first-round picks, after the season.

-- Kimberly Jones

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000741711/article/jared-goffs-big-test-ny-jets-qb-decision-eagles-preparation#Jets

23 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Someone tell Cimini that Kellen Davis is already gone. And if they bring back Harris for 6.5 when there is minimal cap impact to cutting him, I'd be surprised. 

Does show you what an impact Kellen Davis had on the team though.  He was cut weeks ago, and the Jets beat writer didn't even notice he was missing.

1 hour ago, kelly said:

The New York Jets are off, but we're not. Our weekly mailbag question looks into the future.

@RichCimini How many current starters do you see returning next year? #Jetsmail

I dump ALL the likely goners and keep Mangold and McClendon and Winters from the on the bubble category. Can't understand why Winters would be here, he has done a credible job and seems to be getting better. Dump everyone on the likely gone list and dump Calvin Pryor. I don't think we need to keep waiting for this bad actor to get better.

39 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I dump ALL the likely goners and keep Mangold and McClendon and Winters from the on the bubble category. Can't understand why Winters would be here, he has done a credible job and seems to be getting better. Dump everyone on the likely gone list and dump Calvin Pryor. I don't think we need to keep waiting for this bad actor to get better.

Winters should be re-signed now if they're going to at all. Why wait until he's a FA able to shop himself around? Now is when there are still injury-risk games to play, and that's how you get him for less. The only possible benefit to waiting is if he shops himself around and the top bid is way less than the Jets would offer today. 

He's not Larry Allen II, but after starting out so terribly he's turned himself into a legit starting guard. There are at least 2 worse players on the OL and he's still only 25. Wonder what his market price is.

Barring any severe off-field incident(s) there's no chance they'd cut Pryor since his contract is fully guaranteed. He'd get traded before he got cut. 

No GM wants to dump guys he just picked up, so in the absence of the player disappointing he's not getting cut. McLendon isn't going anywhere in 2017 unless someone (very unexpectedly) makes a trade offer. 

Mangold is a tough call for him. On paper it's easy to argue he should go at nearly $9M, but Maccagnan has so many holes to fill already without creating another. He's clearly overpriced for his current play, and isn't as reliable as he used to be, but I think he sticks. 

2 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

While I understand the age and price issue with Mangold I would hate to see him go. To me he has been the face of this franchise, and a locker room leader since his rookie year. Renegotiate, add a non-gauranteed 2018 and hope he retires as a Jet.

Mangold is far from a leader great stellar player but not a leader. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I have never read any bad press about Nick. You see pics of him off the field regularly with team mates. What makes you think he is not a leader? To me he seems to have a presence in the locker room, has been with the club for a long time. I would think he is some what of a voice to the younger guys. I don't really know but just wondering why you think that?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

So Geno Smith was a leader because he sent out instagram pics of himself playing catch in his back yard, but Nick Mangold, a pro-bowler who has led by example for over a decade, isn't a leader.

Gotcha.

12 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

I have never read any bad press about Nick. You see pics of him off the field regularly with team mates. What makes you think he is not a leader? To me he seems to have a presence in the locker room, has been with the club for a long time. I would think he is some what of a voice to the younger guys. I don't really know but just wondering why you think that?

I just dont see him as a take charge type of guy I have never seen him be an emotional leader on the field during games he could be a quiet leader who knows. 

He's a great player agree. 

My only flaw in Nick Mangold is his like for Ryan Fitzpatrick who is the worst QB in the NFL mangold should know this doesn't he want to win as his career is winding down.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So Geno Smith was a leader because he sent out instagram pics of himself playing catch in his back yard, but Nick Mangold, a pro-bowler who has led by example for over a decade, isn't a leader.

Gotcha.

Show me where I ever said Geno Smith was a leader?????????  

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes LOL you wrongfully accuse then you cant prove it LOL says a lot about your credibility. 

Credibility?  LOL....from the guy who says Geno is a leader and Drew Brees, the NFL's leader in yards and TD's "isn't that good".

LOL

3 hours ago, August said:

The only vets on that list I'm keeping is Mangold, Decker and Skrine. 

I can't believe Jet fans don't want to move on from Mangold. Last year he was abused by a NOBODY from the Eagles. Jets will save 9 million dollars moving on from Mangold! 

Its this type of thinking (veteran loyalty) that keeps this franchise from getting to the next level. He's a freaking center for gods sake, yes, he WAS a good Jet. Personally I like centers that are quicker & can pull if they have to, I think Mawae was a much more versitile center even though he was much smaller.

Nick Mangold won't last long enough to be part of the NY Jets turn around so you find a younger replacement.

Just because he's not negative and gets along with teammates does not make him a leader. I am pretty certain I even recall him talking about how that's not really his role. Mangold is a bit of a clown with his teammates. Again not in a negative way, but he's not the type of guy rallying the guys to get their sh*t together and play harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Credibility?  LOL....from the guy who says Geno is a leader and Drew Brees, the NFL's leader in yards and TD's "isn't that good".

LOL

LIAR prove it or shut the hell up............Drew Brees is going to be 38 years old who wants old retread QB's havent we had enough of them. 

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

I can't believe Jet fans don't want to move on from Mangold. Last year he was abused by a NOBODY from the Eagles. Jets will save 9 million dollars moving on from Mangold! 

Its this type of thinking (veteran loyalty) that keeps this franchise from getting to the next level. He's a freaking center for gods sake, yes, he WAS a good Jet. Personally I like centers that are quicker & can pull if they have to, I think Mawae was a much more versitile center even though he was much smaller.

Nick Mangold won't last long enough to be part of the NY Jets turn around so you find a younger replacement.

Only because he will be an asset to whichever young QB is under center next year. 

8 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Just because he's not negative and gets along with teammates does not make him a leader. I am pretty certain I even recall him talking about how that's not really his role. Mangold is a bit of a clown with his teammates. Again not in a negative way, but he's not the type of guy rallying the guys to get their sh*t together and play harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all I ask him why he felt that way. I said I never read anything negative about him. JW answered he didn't like him because he was a Fitz supporter.

I never said he was a leader but thought he was a solid locker room guy. Just because he doesn't jump up and down screaming and yelling doesn't mean he isn't a leader either. You don't have to act like Ray Lewis to be a leader. Like AFJF said he leads by example. Solid play, no off field issues, no hold outs and I never hear any bs involving him.

If he is not a leader in some or even most people's opinion I can respect that but I would rather the young guys learn from him and follow in his model than alot of other veteran players on the team.

IMO there's no reason to bring back for the 2017 season any of the following players :

Nick Mangold

David Harris

Breno Giacomini

Darrelle  Revis

Nick Folk

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Marcus Gilcrist

Calvin Pryor

Players that should be carefully offered in trade :

Brandon Marshall

Sheldon Richardson

Matt Forte'

Players that should be resigned :

Quincy Enunwa

Bilal Powell

Brian Winters

Eugene Smith

1st round targets :

Jabrill Peppers

Cam Robinson

Desmond King

My target QB still remains :

Patrick Towles

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

IMO there's no reason to bring back for the 2017 season any of the following players :

Nick Mangold

David Harris

Breno Giacomini

Darrelle  Revis

Nick Folk

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Marcus Gilcrist

Calvin Pryor

Players that should be carefully offered in trade :

Brandon Marshall

Sheldon Richardson

Matt Forte'

Players that should be resigned :

Quincy Enunwa

Bilal Powell

Brian Winters

Eugene Smith

1st round targets :

Jabrill Peppers

Cam Robinson

Desmond King

My target QB still remains :

Patrick Towles

I was with you until you said Geno should be resigned. That's just not happening. And it's laughable to even suggest it.

Also, I'm a big no on Peppers in the top 5. No thanks. 

I think the Jets would be crazy to not consider trading for Romo if Petty falls on his face. Hack is not ready, Jets will have a high pick & money to spend fixing their Oline. Similar to Favre except younger, you pray he can stay healthy but Romo would be the best QB the Jets have ever had since Namath.

Just imagine Romo throwing to Brandon, Decker, Enunwa, Smith, Anderson, Forte, Powell, Young stud RB draft pick, maybe ASJ turns his life around. 

Just review the Cowboys records with Romo & without Romo. Romo didn't have Zeke either.

Archived