Take the Training Wheels Off, Bryce Petty Wants to ‘Sling It’

Ken Schroy

Take the training wheels off, Bryce Petty wants to ‘sling it’ By George Willis

Bryce Petty left for his bye week not knowing if he was the Jets quarterback of the future or just the past weekend. Coach Bowles has made no commitment on who will be the starter a week from Sunday when the Jets entertain the Patriots on Nov. 27 at MetLife Stadium. Ryan Fitzpatrick, if healthy could get the nod, though that seems like wasted energy with the Jets at 3-7. Petty, the fourth-round pick in 2015, should remain the starting quarterback and the Jets should take off the training wheels and let him become the quarterback he’s destined to be. His first career NFL start was basically a dud, a 9-6 loss to the Rams last Sunday where Petty was underwhelming. He completed 19-of-32 passes for 163 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Other than the 52-yard bomb to Robby Anderson, his longest completion was 11 yards. That’s a long way from the Bryce Petty who passed for more than 8,000 yards and 61 touchdowns in two seasons at Baylor. Yes, it was a spread system built for big yards, but Petty had all the tools physically, mentally and socially to warrant his fourth-round selection in 2015. Now it’s time to see if the kid can play in the NFL. The Jets should stick with Petty when they return from their bye week and face six remaining games. Give Petty the ball and take the training wheels off and let him sink or swim playing the way he wants to play. “I think there were definitely some opportunities there to go downfield,” Petty said of his first start. “I’ll learn as I go when I can take those shots. It’s not about being a game manager. You want to win. I don’t like flirting with that line. I want to be me. I like slinging that ball around.” Petty will have to value ball security and learn when to be daring and when not to. But the only way he does that is by being allowed to throw it downfield. The Jets have nothing to lose, but everything to gain if they go into training camp thinking they have their quarterback of the future. There’s plenty to play for over these last six games. “We’re going to keep fighting,” Petty said. “We’re going to keep working hard; hungry as ever. We all are. We’re fighting for pride. We’re fighting for the guys in the locker room because that’s all we have.”  He’s already sounding like a leader. The Jets know there will be change in the offseason with big decisions at defensive line, cornerback, tight end, and quarterback. Petty should get his shot now, though he’s not going to campaign for it. Right now, it’s still Fitzpatrick’s team. “We’re here to play football,” Petty said. “That’s all we can worry about. For me, it’s control what you can control; to be a good teammate and to be a better quarterback than I was yesterday. That part doesn’t change whatever’s going on.” Petty will go back to Texas during the bye; put his boots on and eat mom’s cooking and talk with his dad. “It will be good to get your mind away from things, regroup and get ready to rock and roll when you get back,” Petty said The Jets should be ready to rock and roll, too. There has been a lack of passion on this team. Good teams build a bold bravado that wins in the fourth quarter. The Jets have continually wilted. Petty should get his chance to change the culture around the Jets. And when he does, it should be with a more aggressive offensive approach than displayed against the Rams. “There were definitely some opportunities to make some plays,” Petty said. “Overall, we moved the ball. We just have to finish plays.” There’s no sense in playing cautious against Patriots or anyone else. A trick play scored the lone touchdown against the Rams. The playbook should stay wide open. Next time the Jets need to take the training wheels off Petty.

Wait, hold a second???  Bowles hasnt named Petty the starter the rest of the way?  There is actually a decision to be made during the bye week? Why? Why? Why?

OMG - I hate this ******* team so much.  I really want to crow hop Todd Bowles right in his stupid emotionless face. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Wait, hold a second???  Bowles hasnt named Petty the starter the rest of the way?  There is actually a decision to be made during the bye week? Why? Why? Why?

OMG - I hate this ******* team so much.  I really want to crow hop Todd Bowles right in stupid emotionless face. 

It is truly sickening, and says everything you need to know about this inept CS. They are "the gang that can't shoot straight" in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

OMG - I hate this ******* team so much.  I really want to crow hop Todd Bowles right in stupid emotionless face. 

He hasn't made a decision because they do NOT see Petty as the future...Yes, we want to see him, but the coaching staff has seen him every day for the past two years.  

By virtually everything they've done and said - it's pretty clear to me that they KNOW he's not the future...and they're not ready to play Hack.  If that's the case then they're better served going with the player that gives them the better chance to win.  

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

He hasn't made a decision because they do NOT see Petty as the future...Yes, we want to see him, but the coaching staff has seen him every day for the past two years.  

By virtually everything they've done and said - it's pretty clear to me that they KNOW he's not the future...and they're not ready to play Hack.  If that's the case then they're better served going with the player that gives them the better chance to win.  

With that logic Dak would have never seen the field in Dallas because he obviously didn't distinguish himself in practice. Because practice means everything......

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

As Trump said....  "what the hell do we have to lose"???  I say start the kid.  If we are assuming the coaches KNOW, well that is not enough. They seem inept in all other areas, talent evaluation is not something I give them a pass for,

10 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

It is truly sickening, and says everything you need to know about this inept CS. They are "the gang that can't shoot straight" in the NFL.

I've seen all I need to.  

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Then why did he play last week? 

You know it will be Fitz starting against the Patriots. Which is Fu*cking BS if that happens. Let this kid get out and play and play to his strengths. We will never know what we have in Petty if we don't let him finish the season. He should not be fully judged by one game. Let's see what he how he plays on prime time against the Pats. Fitz should just be the backup as we know Hack won't see the field this season, according to the CS.

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Is there a game this week? Why does he have to name anything? People need to relax and think. 

It's the perfect time to name him the stater.  He can now take all the first team snaps and prepare for 2 weeks as the starter.  This is exactly when you do it.  The season is over, Fitzpatrick is a disaster, this is the exact time you hand the keys over to Petty and let him audition for the job next season.

This is just another thing to add to the already long list of incompetence shown by Todd Bowles. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I've seen all I need to.  

Then why did he play last week? 

Fitz was hurt.  

this is the same situation we had with Simms a few years ago...The fans were screaming for him to play but the CS knew he simply wasn't any good.  No reason to give something a shot if you are convinced of the outcome.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agree with the logic but if they do not see Petty as the future, why waste a roster spot to start the year? 

4 QB's on the 53 with no franchise potential is just bad talent management and that is more concerning then the lack of in game adjustments

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's the perfect time to name him the stater.  He can now take all the first team snaps and prepare for 2 weeks as the starter.  This is exactly when you do it.  The season is over, Fitzpatrick is a disaster, this is the exact time you hand the keys over to Petty and let him audition for the job next season.

This is just another thing to add to the already long list of incompetence shown by Todd Bowles. 

They actually have some time off during their bye week per the CBA.  Not like years past.

8 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

With that logic Dak would have never seen the field in Dallas because he obviously didn't distinguish himself in practice. Because practice means everything......

Actually the two situations are ENTIRELY different ...

1) We have NO idea what Dallas's CS saw in Dak. 

2) The starter was injured so they chose to play him over Sanchez - who they KNOW isn't the future.  If Fitz is OUT then Petty will play.

The Jet's CS see Petty as a potential #2 - and nothing more (and they're not even sure he can be that)

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree with the logic but if they do not see Petty as the future, why waste a roster spot to start the year? 

4 QB's on the 53 with no franchise potential is just bad talent management and that is more concerning then the lack of in game adjustments

My thinking on this is two fold...

1) They needed a back-up as they didn't watch Hack to play at all.

2) They thought he might turn into a long-term backup.  My guess, in their eyes he's not even that right now.  I would be surprised if he's on the team next season.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Fitz was hurt.  

this is the same situation we had with Simms a few years ago...The fans were screaming for him to play but the CS knew he simply wasn't any good.  No reason to give something a shot if you are convinced of the outcome.

Why did Fitz dress then?

FWIW - I think you're dead wrong.  If they didnt think he had any chance at being the "future", why did they carry 4 QBs?  The answer is because they think he has potential, literally no other reason to have him on the team.  If the KNEW he wasnt, then I'm not sure what's more damning; keeping him around or how they're handling the current situation.  

10 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

exactly

8 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

They actually have some time off during their bye week per the CBA.  Not like years past.

Still, preparing as the starter is different than preparing as the maybe starter. 

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

My thinking on this is two fold...

1) They needed a back-up as they didn't watch Hack to play at all.

2) They thought he might turn into a long-term backup.  My guess, in their eyes he's not even that right now.  I would be surprised if he's on the team next season.

1) Geno

2) Then why not sign another Vet?

None of your logic is making any sense. 

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

There are NO 1st, 2nd or 3rd team reps this week! 

And Petty already said this week he's going home to Texas and putting on his cowboy boots and relaxing. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

exactly

Still, preparing as the starter is different than preparing as the maybe starter. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

There are NO 1st, 2nd or 3rd team reps this week! 

And Petty already said this week he's going home to Texas and putting on his cowboy boots are relaxing. 

See bold.  It changes his mental, as well as your teams.  

1 minute ago, JiF said:

See bold.  It changes his mental, as well as your teams.  

Agreed. I want Petty to go home with the confidence of knowing that this is his team to lead for the foreseeable future. How about Bowles grow some balls and stand behind the kid and say "yeah, we know there are going to be mistakes and growing pains but we want him to gain as much experience as possible so that we can see how he progresses for these next few weeks"? 

52 minutes ago, JiF said:

OMG - I hate this ******* team so much.  I really want to crow hop Todd Bowles right in his stupid emotionless face. 

Get in line.

21 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Agreed. I want Petty to go home with the confidence of knowing that this is his team to lead for the foreseeable future. How about Bowles grow some balls and stand behind the kid and say "yeah, we know there are going to be mistakes and growing pains but we want him to gain as much experience as possible so that we can see how he progresses for these next few weeks"? 

I've said this a million times and I'll say it again: Bowles, from a coaching and decision making perspective, is a coward. 

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

exactly

I think Bowles knows who will start and that person will practice as the starter until the game.  I am hoping it is Petty as well.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

What I don't get, if you don't name Petty the starter now, why did you keep him on the team at all?  What was the 4 QBs for?  If you think so low of him that in a lost season, he can't take over, shouldn't we have just gone with Fitz, Geno, Hack?

58 minutes ago, C Mart said:

LOL. Ok. And what will they all do with that when they are on a beach, riding a horse, taking a boat out for a spin?  

You're so right.  Much better to just keep the team and the player guessing while they're hiking and playing pin the tail on the donkey.  It definitely helps the young QB's confidence and shows that coaching staff supports him.   

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're so right.  Much better to just keep the team and the player guessing while they're hiking and playing pin the tail on the donkey.  It definitely helps the young QB's confidence and shows that coaching staff supports him.   

LOL. Like any are thinking about football. It's their vacation. No different than you and I when we take ours. 

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

LOL. Like any are thinking about football. It's their vacation. No different than you and I when we take ours. 

You honestly think Bryce Petty isnt thinking about his job?

We live in very different worlds apparently. 

Archived