Win for Romo

kevinc855

Tony Romo is going to be on the market next year and in my mind has another 3 years of productive football left in the tank. His options will most likely be Browns, Bears, 49ers, and well the Jets. Of course there are rumors of Cardinals but I don't see it happening. He will most likely want a team that can win the most. Looking at how we finish may depend on whether he goes here and think we can build off something. Sorry I don't see Petty working out, I say WIN OUT for ROMO!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Romo. He's a great QB.

But he's not what this franchise needs. It's not even his age. Cause I agree with the OP. He has probably 3 good years left in him. The problem is his health. The last thing the Jets need to do is invest big money in an older fragile QB. I think Romo is a much better fit with teams like Minnesota, Houston, and Denver, who are much closer to a Super Bowl then the Jets are.

That said, I expect the Jets to be linked to Romo a lot and it wouldn't shock me if the Jets went after him.

10 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Tony Romo is going to be on the market next year and in my mind has another 3 years of productive football left in the tank. His options will most likely be Browns, Bears, 49ers, and well the Jets. Of course there are rumors of Cardinals but I don't see it happening. He will most likely want a team that can win the most. Looking at how we finish may depend on whether he goes here and think we can build off something. Sorry I don't see Petty working out, I say WIN OUT for ROMO!

This is a pretty awful idea. 

7 minutes ago, August said:

It's not about his age or his health it's simply the fact that we need to rebuild and find our own young franchise QB. Enough with the retreads and quick fixes. 

Problem is this. 

Geno Smith is a goner. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a goner and he sucks. 

Bryce Petty unproven risk at this point. 

Christian Hackenburg who knows?  

Tony Romo is a proven NFL QB that is available and thats how the Jets think. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Problem is this. 

Geno Smith is a goner. 

BINGO. I don't know if any sane person go into next season betting on Petty.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Problem is this. 

Geno Smith is a goner. 

A proven fragile NFL QB that will get destroyed behind our patchwork OL.

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

A proven fragile NFL QB that will get destroyed behind our patchwork OL.

A signing like this is maybe a 2018 event.  The Jets need an OL.  I am not certain that the Jets will be able to build the line for 2017.  

Romo could be a good hold the fort guy hypothetically, but not worth the money he requires next year.  Next year there will be substantial dead money absorbed and the need to build out the line and secondary.  As we know, even high draft picks on the OL/CB take a few years to get good.

10 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I hate to be dramatic but if Romo's our starting QB next year Macc has failed us.  As a jet fan believe me, I appreciate the talent Romo has always been underrated but he's a band aid and doesn't help this team moving forward at all. 

So what is your solution, roll the dice with petty or hack who hasn't even seen the field?

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

So what is your solution, roll the dice with petty or hack who hasn't even seen the field?

Not sure yet, that's why I want to see Petty or Hack the rest of the way.  I will agree we need to bring an "insurance policy" veteran QB but I want to bring more of a Hoyer type someone who can compete for the job whereas if you bring Romo in he's your starter.

I think Romo would be a great option if hack isn't ready and petty shows that he can be a viable qb for when Romo goes down. Young guys could learn from him for the short term can't see his price tag being huge with his injury history either

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Problem is this. 

Geno Smith is a goner. 

The Jets just need to be honest and come out and state that they're rebuilding. Part of why Idzik got the boot was because he said one thing while Rex said another. Rex and Idzik were on different timelines. In this case both Macc and Bowles are on the same timeline and Woody would need to be on board too. We need to go through the growing pains of player development for a year or two before we can think about winning now. Quick fixes have proven to not work for us. 

Just now, August said:

The Jets just need to be honest and come out and state that they're rebuilding. Part of why Idzik got the boot was because he said one thing while Rex said another. Rex and Idzik were on different timelines. In this case both Macc and Bowles are on the same timeline and Woody would need to be on board too. We need to go through the growing pains of player development for a year or two before we can think about winning now. Quick fixes have proven to not work for us. 

No fixes have seemed to work for us. 

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Pretty horrible of an idea actually.  An often injured, broken back QB with a history of choking playing in NY.  

What could go wrong. 

2 minutes ago, August said:

There's no rebuilding in the NFL anymore.  Ain't happening

26 minutes ago, August said:

That's not true. 

It most certainly is true.  Cap going up to 168 mil, restructure or cut other contracts, the draft, FA signings and you do a Philly.  Teams don't do the total rebuild that some are calling for.  Doesn't happen, it's not the pre free agency league, hasn't been for years.

No more band aid's at QB.  We need to find a franchise QB that will be here for 10 years.  If it's not Petty or Hackenberg, keep drafting QB's until you strike gold.  You Just cant win consistently in this league without a franchise QB.  The Jets need to find theirs.

10 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

I think at least to some degree the Raiders have been doing it and look pretty good right now

The Raiders floundered for years.  Hiring and firing HCs and GMs like JoeWilly wants to after 1.5 seasons, drafting badly and signing the wrong FAs.  Then they lost Al, showed patience and turned it around.  They didn't dump everyone or blow it up as some want here.  Building that way isn't the same as dumping everyone and starting from scratch.  Big difference

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The same ones who are all in on Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Who's all in on Fitz?  Some of us were smart enough to see him as a 1 year stop gap who shouldn't have been handed the keys to a second season.  Some of us were called out every time it was discussed.  It cost us a season, led to this mess of a season.  Fitz has had a huge hand in every single loss.  So why do it again with a Romo.

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It most certainly is true.  Cap going up to 168 mil, restructure or cut other contracts, the draft, FA signings and you do a Philly.  Teams don't do the total rebuild that some are calling for.  Doesn't happen, it's not the pre free agency league, hasn't been for years.

So then what were the Raiders doing these past 4 years? Keep in mind that they truly didn't begin rebuilding until 2006, and they had a few years where they were a win now team (2009-2011) but they just didn't have the success. Their next true rebuild began in 2012 and it took them 4/5 seasons to get to where they are now. How about the Jaguars they've been rebuilding since 2011, and this season was their first win now season. What about the Vikings, Bills, Chiefs, etc plenty teams have gone through a rebuild and are now competing. Your thinking is why the Jets are constantly spinning their wheels year in and year out. 

Tony Romo will be the starting QB for the NY Jets in 2017 on a one year deal.  No doubt in my mind.  Why?  Because the Jets are a stupid team.  

The best part is, they're going to trick you again.  He'll be good next year and stay healthy.  Probably break Fitz's record for TD's.  Probably get the Jets to 10 wins.  Maybe even make the playoffs.  The Jets will then put their faith in him for 2018 and he'll get injured in the preseason.

You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. 

5 minutes ago, August said:

So then what were the Raiders doing these past 4 years? Keep in mind that they truly didn't begin rebuilding until 2006, and they had a few years where they were a win now team (2009-2011) but they just didn't have the success. Their next true rebuild began in 2012 and it took them 4/5 seasons to get to where they are now. How about the Jaguars they've been rebuilding since 2011, and this season was their first win now season. What about the Vikings, Bills, Chiefs, etc plenty teams have gone through a rebuild and are now competing. Your thinking is why the Jets are constantly spinning their wheels year in and year out. 

You're not listening.  Having a plan, putting people in place to make football decisions and sticking to it isn't blowing up the team and rebuilding.  The years where Davis signed FAs like a drunk or drafted like the 1960s led to years of sucking.  Then they hired people and let them build.  Not blow it up and start from scratch.  Find me one of those teams that said they're rebuilding, blew up their team and started over like teams used to do before the cap became what it is today.  Bad teams make bad decisions and stay down.  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Tony Romo will be the starting QB for the NY Jets in 2017 on a one year deal.  No doubt in my mind.  Why?  Because the Jets are a stupid team.  

The best part is, they're going to trick you again.  He'll be good next year and stay healthy.  Probably break Fitz's record for TD's.  Probably get the Jets to 10 wins.  Maybe even make the playoffs.  The Jets will then put their faith in him for 2018 and he'll get injured in the preseason.

You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. 

I don't know it.  I don't see it.  Don't know why I should see it.  Not like, other than Favre where we did it.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

You're not listening.  Having a plan, putting people in place to make football decisions and sticking to it isn't blowing up the team and rebuilding.  The years where Davis signed FAs like a drunk or drafted like the 1960s led to years of sucking.  Then they hired people and let them build.  Not blow it up and start from scratch.  Find me one of those teams that said they're rebuilding, blew up their team and started over like teams used to do before the cap became what it is today.

Did you actually read my post? I said the Raiders and the Jags. 

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

How can the man have 3 good years left if he is a glass house.  I love Romo and if we could have gotten him a couple years ago I would have been all for it.  Putting Romo in the AFCE with the defenses in this division, he wouldn't make it out of the 1st quarter of the season let alone probably preseason again.  I don't want to chase end of career QBs, either you make a huge move for an established one "a la Drew Brees Chargers > Saints scenario" or you cultivate a home grown commodity.

Archived