67.5 million dollars!

Jetster

Just imagine this scenario & also try to imagine what difference would it really make not having these players making this amount of money against the NY Jets salary cap.

Fitzpatrick-Giacomini-Harris-Revis-Mangold-Gilchrist-Clady-Folk

OVER SIXTY SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS! 

Now look at that list again & try to imagine if we could replace those positions without compromising those positions. This is what we would need from their replacements.

QB- protect the ball & have the ability to to develop

Oline- RT/LT/Center- Stay healthy & develop. These 3 would cost 25 million in 2017. All 3 cut we only get a $500,000 cap hit in 2017. Freaking NO BRAINER moving on.

MLB- Harris is done. Another no brainer.

CB- Burris & Roberts are younger, plus Macc will draft another one. Revis play has dropped off a cliff.

Safety- Gilchrist can easily be replaced maybe Middleton or Martin on the practice squad. I'm sure that's why they are there.

Kicker- Folk is totally replaceable. Cincy game could be layed right at his crappy foot.

Jets won't be losing anything but a bunch of overpaid bodies, all of them easily replaceable. Your not losing any leadership as none of these guys other than Harris were ever leaders. When I look at this, I realize that this 2017 offseason is in fact Maccs biggest. He'll once again have a good chunk of money, plus the cap is going up. He may get a draft pick (hopefully a 2nd but probably a 3rd for Shledon), plus we'll be picking very high in this upcoming draft. This will be his most important 2nd round pick (imperative for the Jets based on horrible past picks). Plus, here's the most interesting thing. Cutler may be cut, Romo may be available, Bradford may be available, are the Skins going to get it done with Cousins?,  Glennon will be a free agent, and there are VERY FEW starting jobs available. Browns? Bears? Jets? Vikings? Maybe, Skins maybe? that's it! 

3rd draft, 2nd with his scouts in place & a lot of money. Gonna be our wildest offseason in a while. I expect only youth, except a QB if Glennon is not the choice. If Petty shows little there has to be a bridge to Hackenberg. All is not lost my fellow Jet fans.

This is why you need to roll with Petty the rest of the way. All of the players you mentioned above need to be replaced. We need to know if Petty can hold the fort down until we find that franchise QB, or can Petty/Hack develop into that role. 

Dont waste time with Fitz, he is not coming back. I hope Macc and Bowles make the right call here. Start thinking of the future, and stop trying to win meaningless games. 

Something is fishy with our coaching, our players are good we have an absurd amount of big named talented guys we are just getting nothing out of them. Our problem is not how much we spent on players it is simply that they are not playing like they just got a big paycheck.

BTW, if we were to trade Sheldon (not suggesting what we would get or if we should - based on what we should get), we would free up another 8 million dollars.

Also, Fitz isn't under contract for next year (just the 5 million of dead cap). So you don't need to cut him and he doesn't save you any money.

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Unfortunately, they moved some of his money around he's probably not cuttable for another year or two. That was a big mistake by Macc. 

He has 5 million in dead cap if he is cut, he makes 6 million next year (8.5 cap hit if he stays) - so you save 2.5 million on the cap to let him go... not sure you are going to sign someone better for the 5-6 million anyway - move him back to slot.

This team needs an enema, no doubt, they took a shot this year and failed, I am ok with that now but the bill is due, the question is how that bill is handled

We have long talked about having an identity, a culture of winning. I know it's hard to imagine after this cluster of a season but how Woody treats some of these long term Jets (Mangold, Harris, Revis) will go a long way to building that culture.  

They barely got through the Brick retirement and I just hope they find a way to transition these 3 guys in the ring of honor and avoid a circus 

20 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

He has 5 million in dead cap if he is cut, he makes 6 million next year (8.5 cap hit if he stays) - so you save 2.5 million on the cap to let him go... not sure you are going to sign someone better for the 5-6 million anyway - move him back to slot.

Most likely he's got a team option rather than a true 2nd year. Think Clady is the same way. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just imagine this scenario & also try to imagine what difference would it really make not having these players making this amount of money against the NY Jets salary cap.

Now look at that list again & try to imagine if we could replace those positions without compromising those positions. This is what we would need from their replacements.

Oline- RT/LT/Center- Stay healthy & develop. These 3 would cost 25 million in 2017. All 3 cut we only get a $500,000 cap hit in 2017. Freaking NO BRAINER moving on.

CB- Burris & Roberts are younger, plus Macc will draft another one. Revis play has dropped off a cliff.

Safety- Gilchrist can easily be replaced maybe Middleton or Martin on the practice squad. I'm sure that's why they are there.

Kicker- Folk is totally replaceable. Cincy game could be layed right at his crappy foot.

Jets won't be losing anything but a bunch of overpaid bodies, all of them easily replaceable. Your not losing any leadership as none of these guys other than Harris were ever leaders. When I look at this, I realize that this 2017 offseason is in fact Maccs biggest. He'll once again have a good chunk of money, plus the cap is going up. He may get a draft pick (hopefully a 2nd but probably a 3rd for Shledon), plus we'll be picking very high in this upcoming draft. This will be his most important 2nd round pick (imperative for the Jets based on horrible past picks). Plus, here's the most interesting thing. Cutler may be cut, Romo may be available, Bradford may be available, are the Skins going to get it done with Cousins?,  Glennon will be a free agent, and there are VERY FEW starting jobs available. Browns? Bears? Jets? Vikings? Maybe, Skins maybe? that's it! 

3rd draft, 2nd with his scouts in place & a lot of money. Gonna be our wildest offseason in a while. I expect only youth, except a QB if Glennon is not the choice. If Petty shows little there has to be a bridge to Hackenberg. All is not lost my fellow Jet fans.

You just gave away three fifths of our offensive line ... ARE YOU MAD ?

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

CUT THEM ALL!!

Just End The Season

2 hours ago, CaliforniaJet said:

This is why you need to roll with Petty the rest of the way. All of the players you mentioned above need to be replaced. We need to know if Petty can hold the fort down until we find that franchise QB, or can Petty/Hack develop into that role. 

Dont waste time with Fitz, he is not coming back. I hope Macc and Bowles make the right call here. Start thinking of the future, and stop trying to win meaningless games. 

I would not be surprised if Fitz starts against Brady. I don't think Petty can handle what the HOODIE will throw his way on 11/27

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Something is fishy with our coaching, our players are good we have an absurd amount of big named talented guys we are just getting nothing out of them. Our problem is not how much we spent on players it is simply that they are not playing like they just got a big paycheck.

imo you are not far off the mark.  something seems to always be missing from the coaching staff.  the players are really no worse than any other team's.  yeah there are some holes but every team has them.  at the same time the jets don't always keep coaches around very long.  rex had six seasons, which was 3 more than mangini and two more than herm.  parcells only coached for 3 seasons.  the jets also seem to like hiring first time head coaches.  they hardly even get ones with college experience.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

BTW, if we were to trade Sheldon (not suggesting what we would get or if we should - based on what we should get), we would free up another 8 million dollars.

Also, Fitz isn't under contract for next year (just the 5 million of dead cap). So you don't need to cut him and he doesn't save you any money.

Sheldon, and the Jets 2nd rounder for Joe Thomas, and Browns 1st rounder they acquired from Philly.

Draft QB Pat Mahomes II, and RB Dalvin Cook this year's version of Prescott, and Elliot.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

Already figured that 5 million of dead money in that my friend.

59 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

We just played without them on Sunday except Breno. Like someone else mentioned, if you can trade Shelddumb that's another 8 million savings. Jets will be players for young free agents that slip through the cracks.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Correction We have an absurd amount of big named over hyped past their prime guys.

1 hour ago, OH THE PAIN said:

They stink anyway? Do you want to pay Clady, Mangold & Breno 25 million next year? Only $500,000 cap hit cutting them all in one fell swoop. Do it Macc!

1 hour ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Breno should have been cut this off season. Mangold is about at that point in his career where he is toast,I feel Wes Johnson has played better. Clady has been a liability most of the season due to injury. Not insane at all to want all 3 replaced in 2017. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Unfortunately, they moved some of his money around he's probably not cuttable for another year or two. That was a big mistake by Macc. 

It really seems like most of the FA deals mac has made have been pretty significant busts... has there really been any decent acquisitions besides carpenter and forte?

edit: OP should also add cromartie's $8M to the total amount 

6 minutes ago, cant wait said:

It really seems like most of the FA deals mac has made have been pretty significant busts... has there really been any decent acquisitions besides carpenter and forte?

edit: OP should also add cromartie's $8M to the total amount 

Gilchrist was solid last season, less so this year. Outside of Carpenter, the free agents he's brought in have not lived up to the paycheck. 

Free agency is a sham.  It is a players market.  The teams should call them fleeced agents. 

The contracts are exorbitant. Teams almost never get what they pay for.  In fact, they rarely even get close to what they pay for. 

NO FREE AGENCY SPLURGING!

"STB" guys need to Shut Their Beaks.

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Where is the love for Wilkerson and his $17 million?  He's arguably playing worse than everyone you list!

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Free agency is a sham.  It is a players market.  The teams should call them fleeced agents. 

The contracts are exorbitant. Teams almost never get what they pay for.  In fact, they rarely even get close to what they pay for. 

NO FREE AGENCY SPLURGING!

"STB" guys need to Shut Their Beaks.

The giants just spent a fortune on Vernon/snacks/jenkins and it looks they got 3 high end defensive starters. Chicago picked up some nice players this past offseason too. spending on players is fine if you're getting guys who can actually play

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Fitz - ditch

Giacomini - ditch

Harris - Keep; say what you want about his lost step but he's the glue on this defense and we dont have anyone that manages the defense like him. He should stay one more season.

Revis - Not sure what the cap hit would be so can't comment

Mangold - I'm conflicted. But I say keep him just ONE more year. 

Gilchrist - Ehhh none of our replacements are any good. I say ditch him if there's a better option out there

Clady - Ditch

Folk: Keep

Archived