Next offseason

NoBowles

This offseason is shaping up to be highly entertaining! 

Assuming Petty does not lock down the starting job for next year, which will be hard to do from the bench watching Fitzpatrick suck, there are so many big decisions that will need to be made by this regime, or even possibly a new regime.

Does Bowles stay, or is he gone, how about Mac.

Do we sign Glenon, which will likely take an Osweiler type deal

If not, do we go after Romo or Cutler, which would imply we are going to take one last run at being competitive.

Do we cut Revis, do we trade Sheldon, what about Marshall, even Mangold.

Could be one of the more interesting off-season we have had in a very long time. Sigh, thinking about the offseason during our week 11 bye, the life of a Jets fan!

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Personally I think they gotta blow the whole thing up.  And, once again, start over.

There is no "blowing it up" in the NFL. This isn't baseball where you can build up a farm system and in a few years be great because by the time that happens in the NFL the young guys you drafted in year 1 are getting older and either fall apart or become pricey free agents. 

The Browns have been rebuilding for a decade and still suck.

In the NFL, you don't "rebuild", you just draft QBs until you hit the Franchise QB lottery a lottery we are doomed to never win. 

Bowles and Mac will both be back for sure.

Fitz will be gone, UNLESS he is given the staring job and he reels off about 5 wins to end this year.

Richardson will be traded.

Revis will be cut.

If we do not keep fitz then some of the names mentioned are possible the glennons, Cutlers, romos.

We will draft CB in the 1st round no matter what

We will draft oline in the 2nd no matter what

Gailey will retire

These are not necessarily what I want but what i think will happen.

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There is no "blowing it up" in the NFL. This isn't baseball where you can build up a farm system and in a few years be great because by the time that happens in the NFL the young guys you drafted in year 1 are getting older and either fall apart or become pricey free agents. 

The Browns have been rebuilding for a decade and still suck.

In the NFL, you don't "rebuild", you just draft QBs until you hit the Franchise QB lottery a lottery we are doomed to never win. 

I respectfully disagree.  blow it up was based upon the OP's questions..

Cut Revis, cut Mangold, trade Sheldon, and even Marshal (although that would be a harder decision) don't bring in another journeyman QB...You compete, you play youth.  It's not rebuilding but it's getting rid of aging veterans that are passed their primes or moving on from players that are expensive in a position of strength already...

Don't sign over-priced FA's....

You draft the best QB you can and continue to grow with youth.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Cut Revis, cut Mangold, trade Sheldon, and even Marshal (although that would be a harder decision) don't bring in another journeyman QB...You compete, you play youth.  It's not rebuilding but it's getting rid of aging veterans that are passed their primes or moving on from players that are expensive in a position of strength already...

Yeah, I think this is the question. I think you can cut all those guys and sign Glennon hoping he, or Hack or Petty emerges as a legitimate starting QB, but agree with you, do they "blow it up" by cutting all the higher priced vets and go with a youth movement, or do they keep them and sign a Romo/Cutler. Will ver very interesting. I am hoping for the former not the latter.

This is what I think will happen:

Jets will ask Revis to take a pay cut/restructure and/or move to Free Safety.  If he balks, they will cut him.

Sheldon will be traded for sure.  

Fitz will be gone.  

They will sign add a QB with experience from the names mentioned (Glennon, Hoyer, Cutler, Romo might be a trade and renegotiate)

This will not preclude them from drafting another QB if they find someone they like.

Mangold will be asked to restructure and I think he will.

One of the most underrated storylines that I believe the Jets really need to focus on is rebuilding the offensive line.  They need to sign/draft some talent especially at the tackle positions.

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

can't argue with cutting revis, mangold and clady.  harris?  he's still a tackling machine and plays hard.  maybe he can be restructured. i'm not so sure about sheldon though.  yeah he's been an off season mess but if there is one guy who is a real playmaker on the dline, it's sheldon.  he wears his heart on his sleeve and plays hard.  unless there's some other issue going on, wilk has been a huge disappointment. maybe they could trade wilk and sign sheldon.  marshall?  the guy can dominate just about any cb right now and is worth keeping if he can be restructured.  and he's not that expensive for a no. 1 receiver.  but the big issue is the oline and qb.  get those positions straightened out and this team will be able to start winning.

and even there, it's not so much about player talent as it is about this team making plays and executing.

6 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Assuming Petty does not lock down the starting job for next year, which will be hard to do from the bench watching Fitzpatrick suck, there are so many big decisions that will need to be made by this regime, or even possibly a new regime.

If not, do we go after Romo or Cutler, which would imply we are going to take one last run at being competitive.

Could be one of the more interesting off-season we have had in a very long time. Sigh, thinking about the offseason during our week 11 bye, the life of a Jets fan!

I think Bowles and Macc will each get another season.  I hope we don't give Glennon an Osweiler contract (and I don't think we will).  I could see us going for Romo/Cutler (though I hope we don't).  I think Revis will be cut.  I think we'll keep Sheldon, Marshall and Mangold. 

7 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Glennon isn't getting Osweiler money.  He's not as high profile as Osweiler was.  That said, he is better.

6 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Yeah, I think this is the question. I think you can cut all those guys and sign Glennon hoping he, or Hack or Petty emerges as a legitimate starting QB, but agree with you, do they "blow it up" by cutting all the higher priced vets and go with a youth movement, or do they keep them and sign a Romo/Cutler. Will ver very interesting. I am hoping for the former not the latter.

Romo won't survive 5 minutes behind our OL and Cutler is going to command a fortune even though he's coming off multiple bad seasons in a row.  Cutler will use us to get a big contract out of the Rams his wife is a tv celebrity and wants to go back to LA.

Glennon is the guy.  He's not going to get $70 million like Osweiler.  Osweiler was nationally known last year and won some big games on prime time tv.

As far as the "let's just draft a qb" people.  Kizer and Watson are probably going 1 & 2 overall since the Browns and 49ers will have the top 2 picks.

Archived