Which franchise has had the worst collection of QBs since 1980

TuscanyTile2

Judge it by "would you have traded our group of QBs for their group?"  But DON'T judge it by season (e.g. "we were good in 1999 and this other franchise had a crappy QB in 1999").  Just judge the collective.  I would have to think the Jets are either at or near the bottom. Let's leave out the expansion teams out of fairness. 

Some notable QBs listed below.  I think the worst groups are the Tampa, Detroit and KC (in that order).  What do others think?

EDIT: I realized I left off Erik Kramer for the Lions.  Not sure that bumps them over KC but maybe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TEAMS IN CONTENTION FOR WORST QBs:

New York Jets        O'Brien, Chad, Vinny, RIchard Todd
Kansas City Chiefs    Bill Kenney, Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono, Montana (end of career), Trent Green, Alex Smith
Tampa Bay Buccaneers    Doug Williams, Steve DeBerg, Testaverde (was bad), Trent Dilfer, Jeff Garcia, Josh Freeman, Jameis Winston
Minnesota Vikings    Tommy Kramer, Wade Wilson, Rich Gannon, Daunte Culpepper, Sam Bradford
Chicago Bears        McMahon, Cutler, Harbaugh
Detroit Lions        Matt Stafford, Gary Danielson, Scott Mitchell, Charlie Batch, Rodney Peete, Eric Hipple, EDIT: Erik Kramer
Cleveland Browns    Brian Sipe, Kosar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TEAMS WITH BETTER GROUPS OF QBs THAN US

Washington Redskins    Theismann, Doug Williams, even Jay Schroeder won a SB
Arizona Cardinals    Jim Hart, Neil Lomax, Kurt Warner
Tennessee Titans/Oilers    Air McNair, Warren Moon
Cincinnati Bengals    Kenny Anderson, Boomer Esiason (in his prime), Jeff Blake, Carson Palmer, Dalton
New England Patriots    Tom Brady
Miami Dolphins        Marino
Buffalo Bills        Jim Kelly
Baltimore Ravens    Flacco
Pittsburgh Steelers    Big Ben
Indianapolis Colts    Peyton, Luck
Oakland Raiders        Plunkett, Hostetler, Carr
Denver Broncos        Elway, Peyton
San Diego Chargers    Fouts, Rivers
Dallas Cowboys        Aikman, White
New York Giants        Eli, Simms
Philadelphia Eagles    Donovan McNabb, Wentz
Green Bay Packers    Favre, Rodgers
Atlanta Falcons        Matt Ryan
New Orleans Saints    Brees
Seattle Seahawks    Russell Wilson, Jim Zorn, Dave Kreig
Los Angeles Rams    Kurt Warner, Chrissy Everett
San Francisco 49ers    Montana, Young
EXPANSION TEAMS

Jacksonville Jaguars   
Carolina Panthers   
Houston Texans      

6 minutes ago, ljr said:

Eric Hipple made me lol

sorry, even if McMahon wasn't there for long... Winning a trophy should put the Bears a notch above the rest of us bottom feeders.

I agree but I felt like it was still worth it to list them in that group.

7 minutes ago, ljr said:

Eric Hipple made me lol

sorry, even if McMahon wasn't there for long... Winning a trophy should put the Bears a notch above the rest of us bottom feeders.

I could be wrong but didn't Hipple once have a big comeback on MNF?  The Lions were getting beaten badly and Hipple drove them for like 2-3 TDs.  I think they still lost that game though and Hipple was not much of a QB after.

I guess it wasn't in relief but Hipple did have a huge game on MNF in 1981:

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/9/27/4775734/detroit-lions-vs-chicago-bears-one-for-the-road

Oct. 19, 1981, Monday Night Football at the Pontiac Silverdome - Detroit Lions 48, Chicago Bears 17

As of today, the Lions hold a 12-14-1 record on Monday Night Football since the featured game started in 1970. But coming into their '81 showdown with the Bears, Detroit held an even record at 4-4-1 for Monday night games (the one tie came in 1971 against the Packers, the first tie in MNF history). It was their first MNF contest since 1975, and the Lions looked for something to cheer about after starting the '81 campaign with two wins and four losses. On the other sideline, the Bears needed anything to root for after starting 1-5. It should be noted that both teams expected better results, since one year prior, both teams had decent seasons: the Lions went 9-7 and the Bears flipped that at 7-9.

Due to their poor start to the season, the Lions decided to start quarterback Eric Hipple -- the second-year pro and No. 4 draft pick in 1980 -- against the Bears instead of second-string Jeff Komlo, who was replacing starter Gary Danielson due to a dislocated wrist. I wasn't around, but I'm sure Detroit didn't expect the performance they received from Hipple on that Monday night over three decades ago.

After a 48-yard pass on the first play of the game, Hipple ended up capping the drive with a 1-yard rushing touchdown to give the Lions an early lead. From that point on, the game became the Eric Hipple Show. The Bears responded with a touchdown, but Hipple helped set up a 49-yard Eddie Murray field goal to give the Lions a 10-7 lead heading into the second quarter.

Switching sides didn't bother Hipple, as he kicked off the scoring in quarter two with a 4-yard touchdown run, giving Detroit a 17-7 lead. Again, Chicago bounced back with a Walter Payton touchdown of their own, trimming the Lions' lead back to three points. But the Bears wouldn't sniff Detroit from that point on, as Hipple assumed complete control of the game. Later in the second, the Lions faced a third-and-10 from Chicago's 28-yard line. Hipple escaped the pass rush and dumped a pass to running back Rick Kane, who took the ball to the 3-yard line. Two plays later, Hipple found Kane again for the touchdown: 24-17. But that wasn't the end for Hipple before halftime. With the clock running out on the first half, Hipple led the Lions 42 yards to set up a 53-yard field goal for Murray. Murray connected, giving the Lions a 27-17 lead at the half and hitting the longest field goal for Detroit since a 54-yarder in 1934 by Glenn Presnell.

Before the third quarter started, Hipple's stat line read: 10 for 21 for 169 yards with 1 touchdown and 2 rushing touchdowns. In the second half, he'd almost double his yards and quadruple his touchdown total on 4 passes. Hipple went 4 for 4 in the third and fourth quarters, and his final three passes went for a 10-yard, a 44-yard and a 94-yard touchdown, respectively. Each of the three scoring drives took two plays or less, and the 94-yard score was the third longest in team history. I should add that all of this offense came without top rusher Billy Sims, who sat out with a sore toe. That didn't matter, however, as replacement Rick Kane outgained the legendary Walter Payton 101 yards to 89.

As for Hipple, he finished 14 for 25 for 336 yards with 4 passing touchdowns and 2 rushing touchdowns. I didn't search through every one of his game logs, but I doubt he ever had a game this impressive. Regardless, it's one hell of a way to start your NFL career. Hipple's 6-touchdown performance helped the Lions score the most points in franchise history since 1954, when they beat the San Francisco 49ers 48-7.

After the game, Hipple put it best: "Whatever we called seemed to be the right play." Let's hope Stafford receives the same fortune as Hipple on Sunday against the Bears.

Archived