Anquan Boldin *tips hat*

whodeawhodat

Boldin and 4 others went to Washington DC to meet with lawmakers to address relations between Law Enforcement and Civilians.  Always had a lot of respect for Boldin the way he came back from that fractured face and continued to play tough football. Noticeably absent from this meeting was Kaepernik.  This was my main objection to Kaep not standing for the national anthem, it was a lazy way to do something about the issue.  

16 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Boldin and 4 others went to Washington DC to meet with lawmakers to address relations between Law Enforcement and Civilians.  Always had a lot of respect for Boldin the way he came back from that fractured face and continued to play tough football. Noticeably absent from this meeting was Kaepernik.  This was my main objection to Kaep not standing for the national anthem, it was a lazy way to do something about the issue.  

Not lazy.  Effective.  High profile athletes got more involved, didn't they?

Many of these athletes participate in charities and other community services but we rarely hear about them.

Kaep's taking a knee became a lead story on the evening news.

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Many of these athletes participate in charities and other community services but we rarely hear about them.

Are you saying he had no other way of being effective? I'll stand by my original comments, lazy. he couldnt take time this week to make it to DC to actually do something.  instead he chose not to do something, lazy.

6 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Are you saying he had no other way of being effective? I'll stand by my original comments, lazy. he couldnt take time this week to make it to DC to actually do something.  instead he chose not to do something, lazy.

I understand why you think it was lazy.  I disagree.  Other, "less lazy" methods often barely bring a peep from the news.

Kaep managed to bring attention to what he feels is a regular injustice to the forefront.  The meeting you are referring to in D.C. might not have happened if it weren't for Kaep's headline grabber.  I don't know that for a fact... but it is a reasonable assumption.

Dennis Rodman wearing a dress grabbed more headlines than any Michael Jordan charity work.

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I understand why you think it was lazy.  I disagree.  Other, "less lazy" methods often barely bring a peep from the news.

Kaep managed to bring attention to what he feels is a regular injustice to the forefront.  The meeting you are referring to in D.C. might not have happened if it weren't for Kaep's headline grabber.  I don't know that for a fact... but it is a reasonable assumption.

Dennis Rodman wearing a dress grabbed more headlines than any Michael Jordan charity work.

Millions of dollars at his disposal, name recognition and celebrity status.  He had/has many options and platforms.  He should have been in DC this week for the meeting.  I hear what you are saying, ESPN is applauding Kaep for this meeting, as well, saying it wouldnt have happened without him.  Could be true.

45+ year old people usually laugh at the opinions they held so vehemently when they were 20 somethings.

Most people come to realize that in some way shape or form we have been "played" by the politicians, media and professional activists.

Kap? Maybe someday he will or he wont but If he is expressing honest emotion and not just posing well then god bless him.

4 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

45+ year old people usually laugh at the opinions they held so vehemently when they were 20 somethings.

Most people come to realize that in some way shape or form we have been "played" by the politicians, media and professional activists.

Kap? Maybe someday he will or he wont but If he is expressing honest emotion and not just posing well then god bless him.

When I was a kid(**** did I just type that????) not only did every fan stand for the anthem but took their hats off!!! I remember one guy got his hat slapped off his head for not removing it.

7 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

When I was a kid(**** did I just type that????) not only did every fan stand for the anthem but took their hats off!!! I remember one guy got his hat slapped off his head for not removing it.

Cool story bro.

When I was a kid black olympic athletes raised a fist in solidarity and were called horrible things by wasps.

7 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Cool story bro.

When I was a kid black olympic athletes raised a fist in solidarity and were called horrible things by wasps.

maybe that was their only platform at the time. idk, If you have resources and drive there are ways to drive for change in our society.  I aint your bro, cuz.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Kaep didn't even vote. The bare minimum of taking action towards making a difference.

I'd argue that he shifted the type of attention that the issue was getting. He didn't bring new attention to it. His self-focused actions caused the real conversation to be drown out by "honor the flag/veterans" outrage, and widened the gap in understanding the problem by re-categorizing the issue as political rhetoric. When the media is keeping a special statistic on how many players kneeled, the protest is no longer protest. It is some warped part of the show. 

Frankly, he may have made things worse in some communities.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Kaep didn't even vote. The bare minimum of taking action towards making a difference.

I'd argue that he shifted the type of attention that the issue was getting. He didn't bring new attention to it. His self-focused actions caused the real conversation to be drown out by "honor the flag/veterans" outrage, and widened the gap in understanding the problem by re-categorizing the issue as political rhetoric. When the media is keeping a special statistic on how many players kneeled, the protest is no longer protest. It is some warped part of the show. 

I am not defending the hypocrisy of making a statement and then failing to vote.  Nevertheless, a single Presidential vote in the state of California is virtually meaningless just as a single Presidential vote in Nebraska is meaningless.  The outcome is predetermined.   I am trying to keep this as civil as possible before this thread heads for a lockdown.

2 hours ago, jetophile said:

Did Kaepernick finally donate a million dollars to charity?  Tick-tock. 

I don't have a problem with the guy whatsoever, but he didn't exercise his right to vote.  People died for that right, but nah, I'll pass. lol

Kaepernick is just a typical dumb jock. Police Brutality is an issue but there are better ways for him to address it.  Endorse certain policies and political candidates. Do what Boldin did.  Or just vote.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Brought a lot of collateral damage to an already combustible situation imo.  I dont think blowing sh*t up that is already on fire is the solution.  I started this thread to give props to Anquan and admittedly maybe should have left Kaep out of it as he was a no show.  roadfan has a good point that maybe this trip doesnt happen without him dishonoring the anthem, my opinion is that he could have gone about it differently.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

I am not defending the hypocrisy of making a statement and then failing to vote.  Nevertheless, a single Presidential vote in the state of California is virtually meaningless just as a single Presidential vote in Nebraska is meaningless.  The outcome is predetermined.   I am trying to keep this as civil as possible before this thread heads for a lockdown.

The bold is irrelevant. If you want to be taken seriously as an agent of change, and a protestor, then the example you set by using your vote, with pride, should be taken as seriously as kneeling or raising a fist. I'm not debating the pre-determined outcomes of California. I am, however, saying the guy is a complete and utter fraud. 

I've argued here, and offline, for this guy's first amendment rights. The fact is, he's just a moron that thinks he deserves to be taken seriously, but forfeits perfect opportunities to build credibility as a respectable contrarian voice. 

He's a putz.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

Brought a lot of collateral damage to an already combustible situation imo.  I dont think blowing sh*t up that is already on fire is the solution.  I started this thread to give props to Anquan and admittedly maybe should have left Kaep out of it as he was a no show.  roadfan has a good point that maybe this trip doesnt happen without him dishonoring the anthem, my opinion is that he could have gone about it differently.

Fair point.

However, the discussion I thought I was taking part of was really about Anquan doing, rather than saying. To me, when a strong example setter comes along and makes something happen, it's not because they were inspired... but rather saw where something important fell down, and found it within themselves to step in and pick it back up.

Kaep's efforts floundered and were driven away from the focus of the issue. Because the efforts were about Kaep. Boldin isn't putting himself at the center of the effort, which is a huge fundamental difference. 

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Fair point.

However, the discussion I thought I was taking part of was really about Anquan doing, rather than saying. To me, when a strong example setter comes along and makes something happen, it's not because they were inspired... but rather saw where something important fell down, and found it within themselves to step in and pick it back up.

Kaep's efforts floundered and were driven away from the focus of the issue. Because the efforts were about Kaep. Boldin isn't putting himself at the center of the effort, which is a huge fundamental difference. 

The main reason Kap started the kneeling deal was his GF whose a activist dealing with BLM and her Muslim faith..She's also a DJ...

4 hours ago, jetophile said:

Did Kaepernick finally donate a million dollars to charity?  Tick-tock. 

I don't have a problem with the guy whatsoever, but he didn't exercise his right to vote.  People died for that right, but nah, I'll pass. lol

Yup,  he never registered to vote in his life.   Strange!! 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

The bold is irrelevant. If you want to be taken seriously as an agent of change, and a protestor, then the example you set by using your vote, with pride, should be taken as seriously as kneeling or raising a fist. I'm not debating the pre-determined outcomes of California. I am, however, saying the guy is a complete and utter fraud. 

I've argued here, and offline, for this guy's first amendment rights. The fact is, he's just a moron that thinks he deserves to be taken seriously, but forfeits perfect opportunities to build credibility as a respectable contrarian voice. 

He's a putz.

Be taken seriously as an agent of change...by doing what has always been done?

His knee was different from the norm..and look how people lost it. 

This "pretend change" is nonsense. People want you to be an agent of change for as long as that change is within the "free range" area limits of the thing you're trying to change or shed light on...so you don't make any waves. People are more concerned about his millions and what he donated than what he's talking about. 

Arguing on or offline for someone else's rights is irrelevant when you have no say, power or control over those rights. However, not taking someone's topic seriously is and has always been the problem. The frauds are those who claim to fight for sh*t they themselves have no control over, yet are the same people who will dismiss someone trying to do anything they can think of to shed light on a particular situation that isn't throwing money at some foundation for at "thumbs up". People attack Kaep because it keeps them from looking at what Kaep is shedding light on. 

Kaep needs to understand that society in the States for the most part doesn't care until it arrives at their doorstep. At this point Kaep is simply interrupting people's football Sunday with things they couldn't care less about. I was born in the Reagan era...same bullsh*t happening today that it was back then minus Contra and freebase. How many votes have been cast since then? Maybe he's looking for more than just the pride in voting.

52 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Bolton one of the toughest dudes to ever play receiver In the NFL. Throw back tough as nails player. Always lIke to watch him play. Love to see Quincy become a guy like that for us.

Doesn't get nearly enough credit, really.

Archived