Mike Maccagnan believes Jets' Todd Bowles is 'going to be a very good coach in this league'

JetBlue

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/mike_maccagnan_believes_todd_bowles_is_going_to_be.html

FLORHAM PARK — It's hard to find someone that doesn't deserve blame for the Jets' dismal 2016 season. 

The offense? Bad. The defense? Bad. The roster? Bad. 

And the coaching? That may be the biggest difference from last year's 10-6 campaign, and this season's 3-7 start. Between decision-making blunders, and accountability errors from his players, Todd Bowles has resembled little of the guy some nominated for Coach of the Year in 2015. 

With the fan base calling for his head, at least one inside One Jets Drive still has faith Bowles can get the job done. 

"I think Todd is going to be a very good coach in this league," general manager Mike Maccagnan said at his midseason press conference. "He's doing a good job right now."

Good job may be a bit of a relative term. It's hard to find much of anything good about the Jets this year. 

None of that is a good look, and much of the blame falls on Bowles. Off the field, as first reported by NJ Advance Media, two of the team's best players — Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson — are routinely late to meetings. 

"We need to do better," Maccagnan said. "We need to do things going forward that will make us successful.

"The record isn't where we want it to be. We're doing everything in our power to improve that. Whether it's playing, coaching, scouting. 

If the Jets were to make a coaching change after this season, the decision wouldn't be Maccagnan's. The way the Jets management is set up, Maccagnan and Bowles are on equal grounds, and both report to owner Woody Johnson. 

Maccagnan is not Bowles' boss, nor is Bowles Maccagnan's. Bowles handles things on the field, and Maccagnan the 53-man roster. 

Still, the GM's vote of confidence will undoubtedly reach Johnson's ears. 

"We're dealing with stuff this season," Maccagnan said. "We knew this going in. We knew when we started, with where we wanted to get to, we'd face adversity along the way. [Bowles] is very consistent and focused. I think he has a very good pulse on the team and the locker room."

A pulse is one thing, but fans and owners want wins. If coaches and general managers don't show they can get that quickly, changes are routinely made. Since he took over, Maccagnan has said he's building the Jets for long-term success. 

Is he confident he and Bowles will be around when things develop?

"I know Woody is very committed to building an organization that has the ability to be long-term successful," Maccagnan said. "That's something we've always talked about." 

The "fans want wins" notion really annoys me.

I don't want wins.  I want mostly losses for the next 3 to 4 years, and decisions made in the best interest of the franchise's long term goal. 

That goal should be building a sustainable contender that will dominate the post-Brady AFCE, and have a few chances to win a Super Bowl over the span of 10 to 15 years.  Not aiming for more 10-6 wildcard mirages.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

What "stuff" are they dealing with that they new about coming into the season?  

What does that even mean? 

It means he knew we would suck but still signed Fitzpatrick anyway, as well as use up 2017 cap space here in 2016 (Mo, Fitz, Skrine, Carpenter) with re-signings and restructures.

#awesome

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It means he knew we would suck but still signed Fitzpatrick anyway, as well as use up 2017 cap space here in 2016 (Mo, Fitz, Skrine, Carpenter) with re-signings and restructures.

#awesome

I think you should be hired as GM. Even if you don't improve the team I like the way you explain things better!

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

The fact that McCagnan feels that Bowels is doing "a good job" is an very good indicator that he is either out of touch or incompetent.

Or that he knows better than to tell the NY media that his coach stinks????? Maybe?

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Quite the slip of the lip there.  I still like about 50% of what Bowles has as a coach, the other 50% is awful.  We will see if he is like Rex and refuses to correct his bad points or if he learns and adjusts and gets better

I don't think it's a slip. Maybe it is though. Either way... message sent. Bowles, like the rest of this mess, is viewed as a work in progress by his peer. 

This should be expected given the fact we hire first-timers all the time, and that Woody's org chart pits them against each other if things go wrong. 

The whole thing is a stupid mess. Just because these guys are in charge of millions of dollars, doesn't mean they're qualifications exceed that of running a lemonade stand.

Bowles needs to teach the O'line how to hold without getting caught and find some loopholes in the rules book.   Next he should arrange to pay our star players off the books and then he may become a good coach in this league.   ? 

6 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

The fact that McCagnan feels that Bowels is doing "a good job" is an very good indicator that he is either out of touch or incompetent.

Or just taking the Company line. I do not think there is a soul on the planet who thinks Bowltite has done a good job.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

What "stuff" are they dealing with that they new about coming into the season?  

What does that even mean? 

Its sounds like a bunch of old maids sitting around playing Canasta on a Wednesday afternoon. Stuff they are dealing with, like what, how to tote the check to the bank? Give me an effing break already.

7 hours ago, RoadFan said:

The "fans want wins" notion really annoys me.

I don't want wins.  I want mostly losses for the next 3 to 4 years, and decisions made in the best interest of the franchise's long term goal. 

That goal should be building a sustainable contender that will dominate the post-Brady AFCE, and have a few chances to win a Super Bowl over the span of 10 to 15 years.  Not aiming for more 10-6 wildcard mirages.

Hahahah why even call yourself a jet fan. Teams don't lose for year to win later. What a fool, rebuilds are a myth. Look at the Browns. Losing creates dysfunction 

9 hours ago, JetBlue said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/mike_maccagnan_believes_todd_aith Bowles can get the job done. 

"I think Todd is going to be a very good coach in this league," general manager Mike Maccagnan said at his midseason press conference. "He's doing a good job right now."

I wish him luck with the team he becomes the head coach of. As for now He is not even a decent head coach. He looks lost out there and sometimes downright psychotic. Guy looks like he is in way over his head. His facial expression reminds me of Forrest Gump  not a competent head coach.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Hahahah why even call yourself a jet fan. Teams don't lose for year to win later. What a fool, rebuilds are a myth. Look at the Browns. Losing creates dysfunction 

I think what the Browns are doing, in theory, is going to work.  The plan is sound.  The execution is the question mark.  They have a young, hungry team full of rookies and 2nd year guys that are playing hard and trying to stick in the NFL... all the while still losing.  The best of both worlds which will allow them to evaluate the youth on the roster and setting themselves up for top draft picks to acquire a few elite talents at the core positions.  Pryor, Coleman, and Crowell are a good headstart offensively for whatever QB they choose to draft.

The Jets, on the other hand, have very little to work with except Leo and the young wideouts.  It's a 4 year project, and the Browns are already a year ahead.

If you dont understand these concepts, I am not going to argue with you on this.  It would be like a college professor speaking to a pre-schooler.

Macc is not going to say what he really thought in this presser. Besides he's not even Bowles Boss, thats Woody (dumb organisational move). He realises the season is gone, and wants Bowles to play the kids, but can't make him.

I understand the Fitz move, based on last years numbers , but they did not get the 2015 Fitz. They got the Fitz of old. The Revis move was all Woody after the Idzik debacle to get the fans onside. Mo had 13 sacks last year and looked fantasic, this year he's aweful.

Macc isn't the problem, it's Bowles, we need a real QB, these guys make up for huge holes in your team while you draft them.

I don't see at this point any of the College QB's worth a top ten pick. We have to go with Hack or Petty and see what we have. Then if we tank it's better chance of drafting a QB later. 

I fear it's going to be that classic Woody intervention, and we pick up a high priced has been like Romo or Cutler.

Although I'd bet my house, Romo's off to Denver, for one last shot at the Big one, while their D is still Elite. We get the booby prize, Jay "Pick 6" Cutler who one Bear fan friend, hates with his entire being. 

14 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

so you expected Macc to just come out and say the coach sucks ?

If Macc truly believes Bowles is a good HC then he should follow his ass out the door

17 hours ago, JetBlue said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/mike_maccagnan_believes_todd_bowles_is_going_to_be.html

FLORHAM PARK — It's hard to find someone that doesn't deserve blame for the Jets' dismal 2016 season. 

The offense? Bad. The defense? Bad. The roster? Bad. 

And the coaching? That may be the biggest difference from last year's 10-6 campaign, and this season's 3-7 start. Between decision-making blunders, and accountability errors from his players, Todd Bowles has resembled little of the guy some nominated for Coach of the Year in 2015. 

With the fan base calling for his head, at least one inside One Jets Drive still has faith Bowles can get the job done. 

Good job may be a bit of a relative term. It's hard to find much of anything good about the Jets this year. 

None of that is a good look, and much of the blame falls on Bowles. Off the field, as first reported by NJ Advance Media, two of the team's best players — Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson — are routinely late to meetings. 

"We need to do better," Maccagnan said. "We need to do things going forward that will make us successful.

"The record isn't where we want it to be. We're doing everything in our power to improve that. Whether it's playing, coaching, scouting. 

If the Jets were to make a coaching change after this season, the decision wouldn't be Maccagnan's. The way the Jets management is set up, Maccagnan and Bowles are on equal grounds, and both report to owner Woody Johnson. 

Maccagnan is not Bowles' boss, nor is Bowles Maccagnan's. Bowles handles things on the field, and Maccagnan the 53-man roster. 

Still, the GM's vote of confidence will undoubtedly reach Johnson's ears. 

"We're dealing with stuff this season," Maccagnan said. "We knew this going in. We knew when we started, with where we wanted to get to, we'd face adversity along the way. [Bowles] is very consistent and focused. I think he has a very good pulse on the team and the locker room."

A pulse is one thing, but fans and owners want wins. If coaches and general managers don't show they can get that quickly, changes are routinely made. Since he took over, Maccagnan has said he's building the Jets for long-term success. 

Is he confident he and Bowles will be around when things develop?

"I know Woody is very committed to building an organization that has the ability to be long-term successful," Maccagnan said. "That's something we've always talked about." 

Where, exactly?

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Macc is not going to say what he really thought in this presser. Besides he's not even Bowles Boss, thats Woody (dumb organisational move). He realises the season is gone, and wants Bowles to play the kids, but can't make him.

I understand the Fitz move, based on last years numbers , but they did not get the 2015 Fitz. They got the Fitz of old. The Revis move was all Woody after the Idzik debacle to get the fans onside. Mo had 13 sacks last year and looked fantasic, this year he's aweful.

Macc isn't the problem, it's Bowles, we need a real QB, these guys make up for huge holes in your team while you draft them.

I don't see at this point any of the College QB's worth a top ten pick. We have to go with Hack or Petty and see what we have. Then if we tank it's better chance of drafting a QB later. 

I fear it's going to be that classic Woody intervention, and we pick up a high priced has been like Romo or Cutler.

Although I'd bet my house, Romo's off to Denver, for one last shot at the Big one, while their D is still Elite. We get the booby prize, Jay "Pick 6" Cutler who one Bear fan friend, hates with his entire being. 

Among the other reasons Cutler would be a disaster in NY-his wife would be a total distraction.

If they filled cob, ol, edge, the and rb, I would not be opposed to signing a veteran qb.  But they can't do that in 1 year.   The Jets Btraintrust went from a 2 year competitive rebuild (which almost made the playoffs last year), to now a new 3-4 year rebuild.

one comment, parcells went 3-13 in his second year.  i'm not saying bowles is the second coming but he is a new coach and the challenges of coaching here as opposed to arizona or just about anywhere else are much different and harder.  imo this team, for as long as i can remember, has always had trouble playing down to their opponents and taking the newspaper clippings seriously.  and if they looked at the schedule and did a face palm then the players just don't belong.  and if bowles and his staff also did face palms, then they don't belong coaching the jets.

Archived