Cousins/Petty Comparision

kevinc855

I'm still confused by why Petty isn't starting and given real games to develop in. I am the first to say he looked like garbage in his first game, but with that said IT WAS his first game.

My good friend is a skins fan and mentioned that Cousins was also a 4th round pick. He also did not initially start and MANY had big doubts. He had a couple seasons of ok play but eventually grew into a good starting QB, not top 5 but he is a stable and good QB. He has a lot of the same qualities as Bryce, big arm and accurate. I think Bryce like Kirk needs to time to develop and there will be bumps in the road. These next 6 games are a perfect chance for him to make those mistakes and learn. I am truly dumb founded by Bowles.

I am not a "lose out" nimrod. I want to WIN, WIN and WIN! I don't see how the worst QB in the league (Fitz) gives you the best chance to win. I just don't get it.

I'm still confused by why Petty isn't starting and given real games to develop in. I am the first to say he looked like garbage in his first game, but with that said IT WAS his first game.
My good friend is a skins fan and mentioned that Cousins was also a 4th round pick. He also did not initially start and MANY had big doubts. He had a couple seasons of ok play but eventually grew into a good starting QB, not top 5 but he is a stable and good QB. He has a lot of the same qualities as Bryce, big arm and accurate. I think Bryce like Kirk needs to time to develop and there will be bumps in the road. These next 6 games are a perfect chance for him to make those mistakes and learn. I am truly dumb founded by Bowles.
I am not a "lose out" nimrod. I want to WIN, WIN and WIN! I don't see how the worst QB in the league (Fitz) gives you the best chance to win. I just don't get it.

You're point is exactly why Fitz is starting. Petty isn't the future and they know it. He will be cut after the season.

If neither Petty or Fitz will be on the roster next year you default back to who gives you the best chance to win. And they clearly believe it's Fitz.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

While I agree with you that Petty should get more playing time and you make a valid point about giving QBs time to develop, Cousins and Petty from a prospect stand point were very different.

Petty has an arm and a quick release. The big concern with him is if he can learn a pro style offense and read an NFL defense.

Cousins does not have a strong arm and deep ball accuracy was an issue for him in college. However, he played in a pro style offense (I think) and had "intangibles". 

IMO, Petty has more potential than Cousins. 

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're point is exactly why Fitz is starting. Petty isn't the future and they know it. He will be cut after the season.

If neither Petty or Fitz will be on the roster next year you default back to who gives you the best chance to win. And they clearly believe it's Fitz.

If they are giving up on Petty already I find that very discouraging. Many thought it would take him 2-3 years to be ready for the NFL...it hasn't even been two yet. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Jets dont have a clue how good or bad Petty is in his only start he was handcuffed by Gailey. 

Kirk Cousins SIGN THIS BEAST 

Redskins will lock up Cousins for another year in 17. If Petty really isn't our option we need to sign someone since Hack hasn't even seen the field yet. Romo will prob go to Denver, sleeper may be try to get Garrapolo from NE. Has potential, studied under Brady and knows NE.

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Redskins will lock up Cousins for another year in 17. If Petty really isn't our option we need to sign someone since Hack hasn't even seen the field yet. Romo will prob go to Denver, sleeper may be try to get Garrapolo from NE. Has potential, studied under Brady and knows NE.

Ok Jimmy G is a good option. 

Kirk Cousins and Bryce Petty were two completely different prospects when they came out of college.  Systems, schemes, and everything else aside, Cousins was a 4th round pick in one of the best QB prospect pools in decades...or at least that's what people thought at the time.  Any other year and he may have snuck into the 2nd...possibly higher.  Kid was real good at Michigan State with almost nothing to work with @ WR.

Petty was 4th rounder in one of the weaker classes of recent memory (outside of the top 2 guys, of course) and was viewed as a project that could, maybe, develop into something. 

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Kirk Cousins and Bryce Petty were two completely different prospects when they came out of college.  Systems, schemes, and everything else aside, Cousins was a 4th round pick in one of the best QB prospect pools in decades...or at least that's what people thought at the time.  Any other year and he may have snuck into the 2nd...possibly higher.  Kid was real good at Michigan State with almost nothing to work with @ WR.

Petty was 4th rounder in one of the weaker classes of recent memory (outside of the top 2 guys, of course) and was viewed as a project that could, maybe, develop into something. 

He threw ALOT more picks at MS then Petty did at Baylor. Think you are being generous, maybe mighta snuck in early 3rd.

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

He threw ALOT more picks at MS then Petty did at Baylor. Think you are being generous, maybe mighta snuck in early 3rd.

Playing in a pro style offense with, again, nothing to work with at WR.  

Petty didn't throw picks because of his system.  Just like Geno. This is why numbers can be useless at times.

If they are giving up on Petty already I find that very discouraging. Many thought it would take him 2-3 years to be ready for the NFL...it hasn't even been two yet. 

It's definitely discouraging. But it certainly feels like reality. After two years if they haven't seen progress it's time to move on.

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's definitely discouraging. But it certainly feels like reality. After two years if they haven't seen progress it's time to move on.

I think this is why it's so important for him to play now and not give up. He could make a huge jump just with this playing time. We know what we have with Fitz, but Petty is still an unknown. 

23 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

What you are posting here is fundamentally not true. 

If you don't like Petty and think he will suck that is fine as well.  I am not sure if Petty will be in the league five years from now to tell you the truth, but Petty was far from a crappy 4th rounder. In fact some draft boards were looking at him as a 1st round talent.

Here is one such example:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132644/bryce-petty

Latest News

Recent News

The Saints believe Baylor QB Bryce Petty "is the best pure passer" in the 2015 draft, according to Bob McGinn.
McGinn notes the Saints worked Petty out last week and goes as far as to mock the quarterback to the Saints at No. 31. "Petty has time to learn how to make reads and play from under center without having to play," McGinn writes. As crazy as it seems, Petty in the first round would give a team the right to accept or deny a fifth year contract option, which is important for quarterbacks. Cutting Drew Brees after 2015 would save roughly $20 million in salary cap. Thu, Apr 30, 2015 06:52:00 AM.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So no we don't know what we have in Petty and if the Jets keep acting this way neither will they!!

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

My bad friend is a Pats fan and mentioned Brady was a 6th round pick. He also did not initially start and MANY had bid doubts. Why did we drop Boyd again? He could've been the next Brady. 

Cousins simply came out a notably more cerebral QB than Petty. Cousins played in a pro style system wherein he made pro reads, threw into tight windows and anticipated weaker receivers into space. Petty meanwhile played in a spread system wherein he didn't show much pro ability outside of physical prowess.  In the NFL Petty still hasn't shown he can learn a playback in  years whereas Cousins was leaning into RG3s spot after only Year 1 showing  complex reads, strong footwork, anticipation, etc. Petty is not the same level of prospect as Cousins from a purely QB standpoint.

45 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If you don't like Petty and think he will suck that is fine as well.  I am not sure if Petty will be in the league five years from now to tell you the truth, but Petty was far from a crappy 4th rounder. In fact some draft boards were looking at him as a 1st round talent.

Latest News

Recent News

The Saints believe Baylor QB Bryce Petty "is the best pure passer" in the 2015 draft, according to Bob McGinn.
McGinn notes the Saints worked Petty out last week and goes as far as to mock the quarterback to the Saints at No. 31. "Petty has time to learn how to make reads and play from under center without having to play," McGinn writes. As crazy as it seems, Petty in the first round would give a team the right to accept or deny a fifth year contract option, which is important for quarterbacks. Cutting Drew Brees after 2015 would save roughly $20 million in salary cap. Thu, Apr 30, 2015 06:52:00 AM.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So no we don't know what we have in Petty and if the Jets keep acting this way neither will they!!

Didn't the same Saints take the kid from Colorado St. 1 round earlier then the Jets took Petty that draft making this nonsense from Rotoworld completely false.

I also think Petty should be starting, but I have no clue if he will be a good NFL QB, all I know is that Fitz never has, and never will be a good NFL QB so it's time to find out if Petty is a gamer, some guys look terrible in practice, but when the real bullets fly for some reason they are not as bad as practice.  So let's find out if he is good now, because if not then the Jets need to get 2 new QB'S next year to go with Hackenberg.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Playing in a pro style offense with, again, nothing to work with at WR.  

Petty didn't throw picks because of his system.  Just like Geno. This is why numbers can be useless at times.

Agree, it's not right to lump them together because they were taken in the same round.

Cousins had 4 years in a pro-style offense, quick release, accurate, fundamentally sound, could play action from under the center in a northern city.

Petty enticed scouts because he's big, strong, athletic, made all the throws and would grow as fast as could he master the other things.

Garrapolo would cost us more than a first round pick he is not a free agent and they will not ship him to their rivals cheap. Aside from the high price it would cost us I have my doubts that he would even be any good. Players who leave new England tend to decline, it has been seen before where Brady gets hurt and his backup looks good they get a pick for that qb than they are awful on every other team that give them a chance. I don't want to be a fan of the stupid team that falls for it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Garrapolo would cost us more than a first round pick he is not a free agent and they will not ship him to their rivals cheap. Aside from the high price it would cost us I have my doubts that he would even be any good. Players who leave new England tend to decline, it has been seen before where Brady gets hurt and his backup looks good they get a pick for that qb than they are awful on every other team that give them a chance. I don't want to be a fan of the stupid team that falls for it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I can easily see Josh McDaniels getting a HC job say in San Francisco, and then trading away his high 1st rounder for Jimmy G.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Live outside DC and I watch every Skins game because it's always on. Kirk Cousins went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in a freaking twister and proved Olivia Munn is killing him. But I digress, Kirk Cousins is turning into a franchise QB right before our very eyes. Just look forward to the day, no matter the name, we can at least delude ourselves into thinking we got a franchise QB in the making. At this point I feel like We are walking into a dog show with a freaking goldfish. 

What's done is done....

Maybe they will let the kid have practice reps.  I think the longer they keep this charade up the harder it will be to keep him when contract runs out...as always jets fans get fkd 

I opine that Petty will be a franchise QB for someone in 2 years. ..my opinion is just as credible as those on this board saying he will bomb ..so there is thAT. 

They are two different prospects, because Cousins was more of a game manager type with limited arm strength, while Petty has plenty of arm strength, but struggles with reading defenses.  Cousins came from a pro-style system, so he was more prepared for the NFL, while Petty comes from the spread system at Baylor.  

For example, in a pro-style system, there is less spacing and you read the defense as a whole.  So if they show zone, you have to know where your guys will be, then pick your best option (so usually deep to short, right to left type) as you go through your progressions.  And each route is typically designed so you have x amount of time for Option 1, but option 2 opens up at X + Y amount of time, so they don't give away the route before you have time to progress from option 1 to 2.   

In a college spread system, everyone is spread out (especially at Baylor) and the QB looks at the defense at the line and figures out which guy is going to have the best match up.  You will hear a ton about how these guys have control at the line and how they run the offense, but it's different.  There are usually, 2-3 plays based on the set that he can audible to, but it's usually based on one read.  So if the LB is shading towards a certain receiver or shows that he's backing up, can audible to a run.  Even though it's a drastic change, it's really just one read.  Same for passing, if the safety is 10 yards back, the slant route to the slot receiver is open.  If that same safety is only 5 yards back, the deep slant on the outside will be open.  They are really just making a read of one defender.  Now there are times where the defense is well disguised (if you see Stanford against Mariota all those years) which causes issue, and you are forced to go through your second and third reads.   The system is much more simple to operate.  

I think of it this way, the spread is like, going hurry up in Madden with the same formation each time.  Yeah, you can change the audibles on the play, but the choices are limited.  You are basically saying, there are match ups you know you can win one on one on a consistent basis, so I'm not letting you have a chance to change your personnel to allow changes.  I've seen guys catch opponents in dime formations for a 3rd down play that gets converted, and then no huddle to consistently running, until the defense adjusts drastically with run blitzes, and then burn them with audible passes.  It's easy to do unless the defender is a seasoned veteran that knows how to defend in such instances.  

We knew Cousins could be a game manager, the whole doubt with him was if he could get his arm strength better, have more zip on the throws, and he has gotten better.  The issue with Petty is the opposite, can he decipher the defense better at the line of scrimmage and make decisions based on that.  I thought he did a good job with pre-snap reads last week, but he needs to be other there to show progression.   

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

They have said repeatedly that he's made progress between year 1 and 2. 

Reality is, Bowles went to bat for Fitz, as did the locker room... and they're all too insecure to admit to the mistake. 

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

They have said repeatedly that he's made progress between year 1 and 2. 

Reality is, Bowles went to bat for Fitz, as did the locker room... and they're all too insecure to admit to the mistake. 

This is where it'd be nice to have a real live President of Football Operations kick Bowles' and Macc's door in and explain to these wayward children why Fitzpatrick can't see the field again this year.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the hope for petty was a solid backup...either way it's clear the CS doesn't think he's ready. I think it's based on his ability to read the defenses and grasp of the playbook. As it's stated before he is only a year into reading pro style offenses guys like cousins had 4 years of college against much weaker opponents to learn to run a pro offense. Hopefully he is the guy one day but it's clear right now they don't believe he is 

I have a feeling behind the scenes Macc and Bowles are at odds over this.  

Macc traded up in the 4th round for Petty.  That indicates to me he had some hope for his natural talent developing.

Petty has flashed in pre-season pretty well.  he had an excellent game last year against Atlanta.  He looked pretty well in preseason this year.  Certainly nothing bad enough that he can be declared a "Bust" off of . IMO, and this is certainly arguable, in a fair competition, he won #2.  CS hasn't seen him much more then fans since because of his injury.   The game plan they gave him last week , for a guy with a big arm, was ridiculous.

I'm not saying Petty is the "second coming" of anything  but IMO, under the circumstances, he deserves the rest of the season.  Absolutely nothing to lose.  A lot to gain if he is any good.

Bowles is acting like a coach who believes he is coaching for his job.  

This QB mess is going to dumped into Bowles lap the day the season ends.  He has to decide if he is going to draft another QB.  Sign a short term vet bridge QB.  Or make some kind of "Big Play" for a long term vet QB .  He traded up for Petty.  I'm pretty sure he would like to see what he can do before he makes a QB decision that more then likely is going to define his career as a GM.

Of course there is also the chance that Petty's shoulder is more severe then we are being told.   Well enough to play, just not near 100%.  Long term , and I'm sure I'll be rooting for a win, will be for Fitz to get a win against the Pats

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Latest News

Recent News

I never said anything about Petty being bad or anything along those lines. Also, one reporter mocking Petty to the Saints in the first (which is utterly ridiculous) doesn't change the fact that he was a 4th rounder in a horrendously shallow QB class, so no, what I said is not "fundamentally wrong". Any draft board that had Petty in the first round is 125% flawed and not worth the time of day.  By the way, the Saints could have drafted Petty...multiple times...and went with Garrett Grayson instead, who's off the team already. 

Look, I'm all for optimism, but I'm keeping it realistic.  The team has watched this kid for 2 years on the field, in the classroom, and in practice.  They likely know he isn't the lightning in a bottle they thought he would be or else he'd be playing. We aren't stashing "the next big thing". We're stashing a guy who has, so far, proved he is no better than a floundering Fitzpatrick when put in live action.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Like, an adult who's been around the league a long time. A guy who can help guide the two young whelps we hired through these times where they're both on a path to get each other fired. A Bill Parcells, if you will.

Unless of course he agrees with Bowles.  Then we'll call him a moron, call Woody the worst owner in the league and scream that we need a different person in the position. 

Its what we do. 

Archived