Conversation with a Cowboys fan.

joewilly12

My backyard across the woods neighbor and I met this afternoon while dumping some leaves in the woods he's originally from Dallas and a lifelong Cowboys fan we start discussing football. 

He says no offense but what happened to the Jets in 2009-2010 you guys almost made it and last season 10-6 now to the worst team in football next to the Browns. 

How dont you build off success?  How do you allow your roster to be not good?  How do you not fix it?  How and why Ryan Fitzpatrick?  Why Todd Bowles he was a nobody? 

We agreed teams are supposed to improve and get better how did the Jets get so bad in this short time. 

We agreed its a win now league not many teams build for 5 years down the road you draft the best players you can every year you sign the best free agents you can  every year  you can afford and you play to win the damn game every game. 

Good conversation I dont see him often but he said he sympathizes with all Jets fans the organization is a real mess. 

He's riding high his team is great and he's got a franchise QB. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

My backyard across the woods neighbor and I met this afternoon while dumping some leaves in the woods he's originally from Dallas and a lifelong Cowboys fan we start discussing football. 

He says no offense but what happened to the Jets in 2009-2010 you guys almost made it and last season 10-6 now to the worst team in football next to the Browns. 

How dont you build off success?  How do you allow your roster to be not good?  How do you not fix it?  How and why Ryan Fitzpatrick?  Why Todd Bowles he was a nobody? 

We agreed teams are supposed to improve and get better how did the Jets get so bad in this short time. 

We agreed its a win now league not many teams build for 5 years down the road you draft the best players you can every year you sign the best free agents you can  every year  you can afford and you play to win the damn game every game. 

Good conversation I dont see him often but he said he sympathizes with all Jets fans the organization is a real mess. 

I hate him already :-)

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He answered his own question right there. No offense.

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You dump your leaves in the woods?

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Was he the same kind of shltty neighbor when his Cowboys went from 12-4 in 2014 to one of the worst teams at 4-12 the very next season?

Dont you wish you knew enough to ask him?

Joewilly12: Ahoy, neighbor. Allow me to regale you with this disquisition detailing a Jets-Cowboys historical comparison I've been working on. 

Tree: I am a tree and lack the ability to either hear or speak.

<six hours pass>

Joewilly12: ...and then the Cowboys drafted Dak Prescott and I was like...

Tree: Please turn me into pencils.

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Was he the same kind of shltty neighbor when his Cowboys went from 12-4 in 2014 to one of the worst teams at 4-12 the very next season?

Dont you wish you knew enough to ask him?

We discussed the Dallas Cowboys dynasty they had years ago actually it wasnt that long ago when Jets fans try and counter about the 1 Super Bowl we have won in franchise history.

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He lives in the woods

And you Section 8 housing I'm sure. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Joewilly12: Ahoy, neighbor. Allow me to regale you with this disquisition detailing a Jets-Cowboys historical comparison I've been working on. 

Tree: I am a tree and lack the ability to either hear or speak.

<six hours pass>

Joewilly12: ...and then the Cowboys drafted Dak Prescott and I was like...

Tree: Please turn me into pencils.

Come on T0m really? 

49 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We discussed the Dallas Cowboys dynasty they had years ago actually it wasnt that long ago when Jets fans try and counter about the 1 Super Bowl we have won in franchise history.

And you Section 8 housing I'm sure. 

Come on T0m really? 

Yup, section 8 housing.  Whatever works for you. 

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

That ****er lucked out with dak

Yea it is all just luck....

Remember Romo's pre-draft rating here take a look at one snippet:

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/scouting-report-on-tony-romo-in-draft-insiders-03-yearbook.156152/

Romo is a talented prospect with the tools to start, but most likely a 2nd day selection in this deep QB class. He is a quality 3rd string NFL passer with excellent upside potential. This guy should emerge as an NFL starter in time with proper coaching and some patience. Excellent middle round prospect with the ability to shine in a West Coast offense.

Draft Projection: 5th-6th Round

Oh and by the way Romo wasn't drafted and was holder his first two years in the NFL.

No it is not luck it is knowing what you are doing!!

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yea it is all just luck....

Remember Romo's pre-draft rating here take a look at one snippet:

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/scouting-report-on-tony-romo-in-draft-insiders-03-yearbook.156152/

Romo is a talented prospect with the tools to start, but most likely a 2nd day selection in this deep QB class. He is a quality 3rd string NFL passer with excellent upside potential. This guy should emerge as an NFL starter in time with proper coaching and some patience. Excellent middle round prospect with the ability to shine in a West Coast offense.

Draft Projection: 5th-6th Round

Oh and by the way Romo wasn't drafted and was holder his first two years in the NFL.

No it is not luck it is knowing what you are doing!!

If Bowles was Dallas coach, he'd of put Prescott on the bench and started Romo again.

5 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Build on success? Win now? This is a team that went all in on Romo every year, with every draft, and came away with barely any playoff appearances to show for it. They built that roster entirely to prop up Romo and basically lucked into striking gold drafting his backup. 

Cowboys fans...

This. I like the Cowboys but not every fan knows the game. Cowboys were in a sh*thole with cap management for several years in a row (still are) and had garbage as backup QBs until they lucked into Dak. Without Dak, they would've been a 4 win team max. They did plow away the OL position for years after drafting. Jets haven drafted well in several years in a row now even with all those high picks (save for Leo falling in our laps). Cowboys spent a good part of the decade spending first rounders on offense (WRs, OLs, TE, RBs etc) just to make Romo look better. I can't remember the last Jets first round offensive player. Was it Sanchez? Wow it's been a while. And we're going CB next year. Or DL. Again. 

so much of the nfl is just lucking into this player or that.  you just gotta look at the jets.  they can't seem to draft 2nd rounders with a high degree of certainty but then get a guy like enunwa in the sixth and anderson as a free agent.  fitz lucked into the starter's job last season and did extrememly well.  they pick gholston who was supposed to be a monster at lb and he couldn't get on the field.  so when these fair weather cowboy fans come out of the woodwork they need to be reminded that romo has won all of 1 playoff game and they've sucked dirt for nearly a decade after the aikman era.

32 minutes ago, rangerous said:

so much of the nfl is just lucking into this player or that.  you just gotta look at the jets.  they can't seem to draft 2nd rounders with a high degree of certainty but then get a guy like enunwa in the sixth and anderson as a free agent.  fitz lucked into the starter's job last season and did extrememly well.  they pick gholston who was supposed to be a monster at lb and he couldn't get on the field.  so when these fair weather cowboy fans come out of the woodwork they need to be reminded that romo has won all of 1 playoff game and they've sucked dirt for nearly a decade after the aikman era.

"so much of the nfl is just lucking into this player or that..."

I think you make your own luck. The Cowboys drafted OL, the cornerstone of a successful offense. Without an OL, your running backs look like Forte. Your receivers look like Stephen Hill and Kerley. And your TEs have to stay in to block all the time. It's not luck that the Cowboys have a high-performing QB out of nowhere. It's that they have an OL that allows a QB, even a young one, to perform at a high level because defenses have to respect the running game AND devote significant resources beyond four guys to rush the passer.

In contrast, we have a meh OL. So, our running game is marginal and so is our passing game.

And, really, the QB position is sooo much a basically ANYONE can play it at a Fitzpatrick level, why bother to worry about it? It's a product of the rest of the offensive talent.

Troy Aikman - 1st over all pick

Tony Romo - undrafted

Dak Prescott - 4th rounder

There is no formula to getting a franchise QB, the Cowboys have lucked into a few now. 

When the Jets lose one more game and are for sure out of it, there is zero excuse for not going to the young QBs on the roster,  In this league you simply have no clue what you have until a guy gets the job for a number of games, often due to injury, this is why Bowles and the boys can talk about practice call hey want they really have no clue what they have in Petty,

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Troy Aikman - 1st over all pick

Tony Romo - undrafted

Dak Prescott - 4th rounder

There is no formula to getting a franchise QB, the Cowboys have lucked into a few now. 

When the Jets lose one more game and are for sure out of it, there is zero excuse for not going to the young QBs on the roster,  In this league you simply have no clue what you have until a guy gets the job for a number of games, often due to injury, this is why Bowles and the boys can talk about practice call hey want they really have no clue what they have in Petty,

Neither do any of the fans insisting he is the cure for what ails the Jets...we need a lot more than a QB...and as was noted in the Power Rankings thread, there are a lot of teams with "Franchise QBs" populating the bottom of the barrel with the Jets. Dallas is not winning because of Dak Prescott alone; they are winning because they have an O-line of first and second round road graders that run block like nobody's business and a RB in Ezekiel Elliott who is a beast who, once he is past defenders wont get caught from behind and a WR Dez Bryant and a TE who exploit single coverage when they get it because the D has to put 8 or 9 in the box to stop Elliott  and a good enough complement of secondary targets to go with  those 2 and a D that plays well when it   is   not constantly on the field and  special teams  that are solid all around. They are a complete team that is able to prevent most teams from targeting their weaknesses and able to exploit the weaknesses of their opponents. Start knocking things off that list, however, and they aren't far from the ranks of the also rans...

2 hours ago, phill1c said:

"so much of the nfl is just lucking into this player or that..."

I think you make your own luck. The Cowboys drafted OL, the cornerstone of a successful offense. Without an OL, your running backs look like Forte. Your receivers look like Stephen Hill and Kerley. And your TEs have to stay in to block all the time. It's not luck that the Cowboys have a high-performing QB out of nowhere. It's that they have an OL that allows a QB, even a young one, to perform at a high level because defenses have to respect the running game AND devote significant resources beyond four guys to rush the passer.

In contrast, we have a meh OL. So, our running game is marginal and so is our passing game.

And, really, the QB position is sooo much a basically ANYONE can play it at a Fitzpatrick level, why bother to worry about it? It's a product of the rest of the offensive talent.

do you think the jets were trying to make their own luck when drating gholston, ducasse, hill, etc?  to the extent that teams do draft for need they make their own luck.  obviously, unless your name is idzik, you don't draft players who were injured throughout their college careers and expect them to perform at a higher level. but at the same time, players do get better out of college if only because they age another year and get filled out.

your point is well taken about the oline.  it's been neglected since damien woody left and only now are they trying to get some good play and players.

14 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

Neither do any of the fans insisting he is the cure for what ails the Jets...we need a lot more than a QB...and as was noted in the Power Rankings thread, there are a lot of teams with "Franchise QBs" populating the bottom of the barrel with the Jets. Dallas is not winning because of Dak Prescott alone; they are winning because they have an O-line of first and second round road graders that run block like nobody's business and a RB in Ezekiel Elliott who is a beast who, once he is past defenders wont get caught from behind and a WR Dez Bryant and a TE who exploit single coverage when they get it because the D has to put 8 or 9 in the box to stop Elliott  and a good enough complement of secondary targets to go with  those 2 and a D that plays well when it   is   not constantly on the field and  special teams  that are solid all around. They are a complete team that is able to prevent most teams from targeting their weaknesses and able to exploit the weaknesses of their opponents. Start knocking things off that list, however, and they aren't far from the ranks of the also rans...

Getting a franchise QB gives you time to do the other stuff, if you don't find your Qb the gm and coach get fired and you start over.

No one in the world would dispute that the cowboys in their own right are pretty good but Prescott has been outstanding and in fact has not been some game manager, his play has won games.  Also look at what happened to Dallas last year when Romo got hurt and they had to go to the likes of Weeden.

The best thing to take away from Dallas as a blue print and even the jets from their last bout of success is to invest heavily into the offensive line.  (Too bad we will be taking a corner next year with our 1st pick)

Archived