Is it finally ok to bench the scrub Fitpatrick?

drdetroit

19 minutes ago, Esquire said:

Enough of this nonsense.  I'm tired of the team trying to win games and throwing away seasons.  Find out what you have at the QB position and if what you have isn't good enough then draft more QBs.

No No No....

We are to busy chopping down the tree to take a moment to sharpen our dull axe.....

Jets logic 101..... :)

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

Yea....he was not the reason the jets lost. Fitz sucks but it's apparent Petty isn't any better. Fans love the next man cause you dont see him that often....if they did, they would bitch about him too.

This is about learning if your 2nd year quarterback can play in this league. Has nothing to do with falling in love with anybody.   The only way to find out about this guy is to play him. If he sucks it is on to the next guy; period.  BTW how is it apparent Petty isn't any better? How many games have you seen him play in the NFL to make that assessment? 

2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Fitz has TEN 4th quarter turnovers. That's the worst in the NFL. Another great Fitz stat.

Yeah, because tonight's strip sack was Fitzpatrick's fault.

How many sacks did Mo Wilkerson have tonight?  Wait....wait.....how many tackles?  What about the 2 touchdown passes dropped by alligator arms Marshall and the Buffalo castoff? 

Ryan Fitzpatrick played well enough to win tonight.  He overcame a deficit and gave the defense a lead with 4 minutes left.  And they choked, again.  Cincinnati, Miami, New England.  Leads provided by Fitz in the fourth quarter, under 4 minutes left, and the DEFENSE blows them all.  We're 6-5 right now, a mere 1 game out of a wildcard berth with an easy schedule ahead.  But blame Ryan Fizpatrick.  Yeah.  Blame the journeyman quarterback.

SAR I

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I dont waste money on anything in life.........  You signed up for it not me stop being a QUITTER

I took a game off.

You quit on the team.

Only those who show up regularly as a season ticket holder can complain about the quality of the crowd at MetLife Stadium.  What you think the crowd is lacking is YOU.  It's YOU who doesn't go to games.  It's YOU who doesn't cheer loudly on TV.  It's YOU who doesn't keep enemy fans out of the building.

Show up or shut up.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

I took a game off.

You quit on the team.

Only those who show up regularly as a season ticket holder can complain about the quality of the crowd at MetLife Stadium.  What you think the crowd is lacking is YOU.  It's YOU who doesn't go to games.  It's YOU who doesn't cheer loudly on TV.  It's YOU who doesn't keep enemy fans out of the building.

Show up or shut up.

SAR I

You SOLD OUT....................diehard Jets fans pre=PSL's never sold out we werent allowed to sell tickets. 

If we start petty is the whole forum just going to sit there licking their chops waiting for him to make a bad play so the forum can just explode with negativity? Fitz has not had a good season with us that is obvious at this point but he has played with more heart and guts than anyone else on the team by far, no one else has put their bodies and careers on the line for us like he has. If we had any form of secondary on our defense we would likely be playoff contenders right now that in my opinion is really what killed us this year.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick played well enough to win tonight.  He overcame a deficit and gave the defense a lead with 4 minutes left.  And they choked, again.  Cincinnati, Miami, New England.  Leads provided by Fitz in the fourth quarter, under 4 minutes left, and the DEFENSE blows them all.  We're 6-5 right now, a mere 1 game out of a wildcard berth with an easy schedule ahead.  But blame Ryan Fizpatrick.  Yeah.  Blame the journeyman quarterback.

SAR I

I agree with you SAR that the Defense is giving it up in the end game. They can't make the big play or get the big stop. Let's just say with that statistic 10 turnovers in the Fourth quarter that Fitz is not helping matters. If the Jets have to put it in Fitz's hands to win the game late in the 4th quarterit will most likely not happen.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

I agree with you SAR that the Defense is giving it up in the end game. They can't make the big play or get the big stop. Let's just say with that statistic 10 turnovers in the Fourth quarter that Fitz is not helping matters. If the Jets have to put it in Fitz's hands to win the game late in the 4th quarterit will most likely not happen.

What else do you expect from a game manager? You get what you pay for. When you have a QB like Fitz, you need to have a great running game (nope) and a better than good defense (definitely not). So when you have the lead going into the last few minutes and the defense is on the field, it's up to them to make the stop, create a turnover, end the game. They couldn't do it and haven't done it all year. 

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Pretty sure we ARE mathematically eliminated, there is no scenario we get to the playoffs at 8-8.

Right now Jax are not even mathematically out of it at 2-9. 6th seed is at 7-4, so they could end 7-9; anyone that can get to 7-9 still has a (mathematical) chance.

Things will likely clear up significantly in the next week or two.

11 hours ago, JetBlue said:

This is about learning if your 2nd year quarterback can play in this league. Has nothing to do with falling in love with anybody.   The only way to find out about this guy is to play him. If he sucks it is on to the next guy; period.  BTW how is it apparent Petty isn't any better? How many games have you seen him play in the NFL to make that assessment? 

Well, first off.. the coaching staff sees him every day right? Do you?  Obviously not, and even if it was one game, again it's obvious they see something in Petty where he is not ready or may never be a QB that could start in this league. Fans kill me with that. These coaches watch all these players every day since training camp, you think they don't know?

Despite what you fans think about your coaching staff. They evaluate players a lot better then we the fans do, a lot fans judge on emotions (case in point this whole forum after a Jet game) They gotta be more strategic. Bad, good, better not as good as the next coaching staff. Doesn't matter. This is what they are paid to do. 

2 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

Well, first off.. the coaching staff sees him every day right? Do you?  Obviously not, and even if it was one game, again it's obvious they see something in Petty where he is not ready or may never be a QB that could start in this league. Fans kill me with that. These coaches watch all these players every day since training camp, you think they don't know?

Despite what you fans think about your coaching staff. They evaluate players a lot better then we the fans do, a lot fans judge on emotions (case in point this whole forum after a Jet game)

I think also they realise that the rest of the team isn't exactly firing on all cylinders - they keep talking about not putting a guy in a bad situation when he's trying to develop, to me that's coach speak for "Petty would get killed behind this line, and our D isn't good enough to bail him out". 

18 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I think also they realise that the rest of the team isn't exactly firing on all cylinders - they keep talking about not putting a guy in a bad situation when he's trying to develop, to me that's coach speak for "Petty would get killed behind this line, and our D isn't good enough to bail him out". 

I agree. Which I don't think your Oline is that bad, but i could be wrong. Is it? I'm sure it's a lot better than Green Bays, or the Colts. I mean if the coaching staff is not panicking like the fans are.  They have some pieces at least on offense with Forte, Enunwa, Decker and Marshall. Probably need to add a deep threat and of course a TE. But you all offense does have weapons.

Just now, ghost_in_pads02 said:

I agree. Which I don't think your Oline is that bad, but i could be wrong. Is it? I'm sure it's a lot better than Green Bays, or the Colts. I mean if the coaching staff is not panicking like the fans are.  They have some pieces at least on offense with Forte, Enunwa, Decker and Marshall is pretty formable. Probably need to add a deep threat and of course a TE. But you all offense does have weapons.

Our tackles are mediocre at best - Breno at RT is good for a drive killing penalty each game, and Ijalana at LT scares me (watch the last play from yesterday if you need proof). Interior line is good, even without Mangold; Johnson has been OK at center.

2 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

He's sucked this season, but he looked better then Brady yesterday. Accurate; That pass to Enunwa in the end zone...prefect, only place he could of put it. (Enunwa made a great effort for it as well)

I don't think Fitz outplayed Brady, Brady put up points when he had to...but he wasn't terrible...

Enunwa is one of the very few bright spots to come out of this season.  

31 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

I agree. Which I don't think your Oline is that bad, but i could be wrong. Is it? I'm sure it's a lot better than Green Bays, or the Colts. I mean if the coaching staff is not panicking like the fans are.  They have some pieces at least on offense with Forte, Enunwa, Decker and Marshall. Probably need to add a deep threat and of course a TE. But you all offense does have weapons.

O-line began to fall apart late in the game...Fitz deserves a lot of credit for avoiding a safety and getting that ball to Enunwa. Then the intentional grounding and strip sack plays. Where were the screens??

13 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Thanks for creating this thread, cuz I was about to. Come Jan. 2, Fitz will never wear a Jets uniform again. What's the point? You spent a SECOND ROUND PICK on Christian Hackenberg, you have a string of meaningless games, and you're not even dressing him? Let him go out there and see what he can do. Will he make rookie mistakes? Of course! But what better time is there than now to let him make those mistakes and learn from them? Guess what? Despite a decent performance today, Fitz still doesn't give us the best chance to win. Has Bowles even seen his performance this season????

But the veterans yadda yadda.....something something.........

13 hours ago, Mike135 said:

A sucker is born every minute.

Case in point; Macc, Bowles, Marshall, Decker, Mangold and many here all thought Fitz was good.

Hell, some here still think he's good.

Some other team will be dumb enough to sign him.  I hope.  Otherwise the Jets are the dumbest team in the game.

I dunno man Fitz had a career year last year and had one team bidding on him.

Fitz would be lucky to get a backup gig at the league mini

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, because tonight's strip sack was Fitzpatrick's fault.

How many sacks did Mo Wilkerson have tonight?  Wait....wait.....how many tackles?  What about the 2 touchdown passes dropped by alligator arms Marshall and the Buffalo castoff? 

SAR I

I agree team is not good enough to win with Fitz. I agree it's everybody's fault except Leonard  and Quincy. 

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

Let's put this loss right where it belongs...on the defense that continually comes up small when it matters most. Case closed. 

Since early Rex days, the defense has had let downs in big spots, but what never gets spoken about is the offense's inability to put a game away forcing the defense to make multiple game saving stops.  No defense is going to consistently shut down teams late.  It just doesn't happen.  What may have helped us to win last night, as it would have so many other times in the last 7 years, was at 17-16 with 7 minutes left, we could have moved that ball past our 30 yard line and taken more than 1:58 off the clock.  Two more first downs there doesn't guarantee the Jets anything, but it certainly makes winning a lot more likely.  When was the last time you saw the Jets run the clock out on offense with a nice, long sustained drive, or even forced the other team into the position we were in, down 5 with under two minutes and no time-outs?  We get leads towards the end of the game, and expect the defense to close the game while the offense just shuts down entirely.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Since early Rex days, the defense has had let downs in big spots, but what never gets spoken about is the offense's inability to put a game away forcing the defense to make multiple game saving stops.  No defense is going to consistently shut down teams late.  It just doesn't happen.  What may have helped us to win last night, as it would have so many other times in the last 7 years, was at 17-16 with 7 minutes left, we could have moved that ball past our 30 yard line and taken more than 1:58 off the clock.  Two more first downs there doesn't guarantee the Jets anything, but it certainly makes winning a lot more likely.  When was the last time you saw the Jets run the clock out on offense with a nice, long sustained drive, or even forced the other team into the position we were in, down 5 with under two minutes and no time-outs?  We get leads towards the end of the game, and expect the defense to close the game while the offense just shuts down entirely.

All valid points, but is it unreasonable to ask a unit with 5 #1 draft picks on it to make one damn stop when the game is on the line?

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

All valid points, but is it unreasonable to ask a unit with 5 #1 draft picks on it to make one damn stop when the game is on the line?

In any given situation, no.  But, as a whole, the offensive production and inability to generate first downs when needed, is what costs us these types of games regularly.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

In any given situation, no.  But, as a whole, the offensive production and inability to generate first downs when needed, is what costs us these types of games regularly.

as well as fitz played they only scored 17 points at home.  most teams scored more this weekend.  the problem with fitz is kinda like what it was with pennington, there are very few big plays and that means they have to have a near flawless drive to score a td.  while consistency and ball security are obviously important, to win you need big plays from time to time and that's that problem with fitz.  i disagree with fitz giving the team the best chance to win.  i'll take the guy who can really threaten a defense which opens up the run game and underneath stuff.  the 20 yard plays are nice but too many drives fizzle and end up with a killer penalty, stupid predictable run plays that lead to tough 3rd down situations.  

Just now, joewilly12 said:

To bench Fitzpatrick you have to ask Bowles if its ok with the Fitzpatrick supporters in the locker room we don't want to piss off Decker (at home) Marshall and Mangold. 

the problem with the locker room leadership is that fitz and marshall have a total of zero playoff appearances.  that's the primary leadership.  they have noone who knows how to finish games.  i hope some of the younger guys will form a more effective leadership core when these guys leave.

1 hour ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

Despite what you fans think about your coaching staff. They evaluate players a lot better then we the fans do, a lot fans judge on emotions (case in point this whole forum after a Jet game) They gotta be more strategic. Bad, good, better not as good as the next coaching staff. Doesn't matter. This is what they are paid to do. 

Sorry but you give more credit to this coaching staff than I do.  But then again, I should have blind faith in their all knowing ability because they see him everyday in practice.  Sorry but I lost confidence when they named Fitzpatrick the starter after last years Bills debacle and then resigned him when no one else wanted the guy. .  

Regarding Petty, after a year and half on the bench, the only way he is going to improve (or fail) is by playing.   It has absolutely nothing to do with emotions; Petty outplayed Geno Smith and Fitzpatrick in training camp but his shoulder injury set him back.  He has been active now for about 5, 6 games.  Now that any hope of the post season is all but over, only a fool would continue to trot Fitzpatrick out there knowing he will not be back next year, when you have not one but perhaps two developmental quarterbacks that you need to see in LIVE GAME ACTION (not in practice) so you can have a better idea about what to do in the off season.    This whole " You Fans" thing with you is funny.   I don't speak for Jet Nation so please don't try and lump my comments in with everyone else.   We are fans for a reason; sorry if we don't just all sit around saying, "oh well the coaching staff gets paid to do this it will all work  out."   Stop acting so superior and pompous; if you rooted for team that has not had a franchise quarterback or super bowl appearance in over 40 years you would understand.  So please do not come here trying to be the "voice of reason."  You are not telling me or anyone else, anything that we don't already know. 

Archived