Jets Defenders Show Respect, go Easy on Brady

JetNation

Buster Skrine

By Glenn Naughton

You can say whatever you like about the 3-8 New York Jets after they dropped yet another game to the rival New England Patriots, but you certainly can’t say they’re not a well-mannered bunch.

As Dan Hanzus of NFL.com pointed out in this article that was published while the game was still in progress, Jets defenders were presented with an opportunity that most fans would expect players to see as a dream come true.

Early in the first quarter, Brady handed the ball off to running back Legarrette Blount who attempted to run the ball off-tackle to the right side.  With Jets defenders bearing down on him, Blount reversed his field and headed to his left, which is when Brady decided to take on the role of lead blocker.

Brady headed in to the open field with a slew of Jets defenders in the immediate vicinity, making himself a slow-moving, but still very legal target for a defender to get a clean shot in.  The Jets defense however, took a pass, going around Brady instead of through him en route to Blount.

Untouched and squeaky clean after Blount was tackled, Brady even got a friendly pat on the back from cornerback Darrelle Revis at the play’s conclusion.  You can see the play in full starting at the :24 second mark here.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
hx1dAczK3Yo

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really the worst play of the game IMO...how many times does a defender get a clear shot at Brady in the open field with no threat of a flag?  Hell, even with a flag it'd be worth it with his bum knee.

Watching the defenders pass up a chance to lay him out, followed by an "atta' boy" from Revis...horrible.

I yelled in disbelief when I saw the replay.  They treated him like he had a red jersey on and went out of there way to go around him.

Fast forward to later in the game when Fitz was diving head first and the Pat defenders were launching themselves at his head like torpedoes.

It was inexplicable!  No one is saying to go Cobra Kai and sweep the leg but FFS at least blast him up top and knock his ass down!

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Really the worst play of the game IMO...how many times does a defender get a clear shot at Brady in the open field with no threat of a flag?  Hell, even with a flag it'd be worth it with his bum knee.

Watching the defenders pass up a chance to lay him out, followed by an "atta' boy" from Revis...horrible.

I hate this team! Any other defense would have f*cking laid him out! You think Vontez Burfict (who the Jets should have signed as an UDFA, I don't care that he's crazy, he's 3 times the LB Harris is right now) would have passed up that opportunity?

Hell no, we would have been seeing Garapolo finishing the game.

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Jets players have no balls just like their HC.. did you guys just see the ending of fb Denver /KC game ? Crazy... 

That ending was insane...both regulation and OT.

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

This is the number one most memorable play of the game to me. I have been waiting for an opportunity like that, as a fan, for years. The Jets actively avoided knocking his ******* head off. Zero edge, zero smarts, zero toughness, losers.

Agreed. Bowles should have his film crew put together a compilation of hits the Patriots have laid on Fitz, diving at him when he runs ect. & end it with them pussyfooting around Brady & patting him on his head afterward. 

This team is the weakest softest defense I can remember. You gotta go back to the mid 90s to find anything similar. Add up the money for this defense, Revis, Harris, Mo, Gilchrist, Skrine. Disgusting! Over 50 million, OMG.

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I hate this team! Any other defense would have f*cking laid him out! You think Vontez Burfict (who the Jets should have signed as an UDFA, I don't care that he's crazy, he's 3 times the LB Harris is right now) would have passed up that opportunity?

Hell no, we would have been seeing Garapolo finishing the game.

This is an example of perhaps the biggest indictment against Bowles.  With Parcells, and Rex in years 1 and 2, the NY fans loves the physical nature of the team.  They could relate to the team.  Football is entertainment.

What they are serving up now is not good.

7 hours ago, JetNation said:

Buster Skrine

By Glenn Naughton

You can say whatever you like about the 3-8 New York Jets after they dropped yet another game to the rival New England Patriots, but you certainly can’t say they’re not a well-mannered bunch.

As Dan Hanzus of NFL.com pointed out in this article that was published while the game was still in progress, Jets defenders were presented with an opportunity that most fans would expect players to see as a dream come true.

Early in the first quarter, Brady handed the ball off to running back Legarrette Blount who attempted to run the ball off-tackle to the right side.  With Jets defenders bearing down on him, Blount reversed his field and headed to his left, which is when Brady decided to take on the role of lead blocker.

Brady headed in to the open field with a slew of Jets defenders in the immediate vicinity, making himself a slow-moving, but still very legal target for a defender to get a clean shot in.  The Jets defense however, took a pass, going around Brady instead of through him en route to Blount.

Untouched and squeaky clean after Blount was tackled, Brady even got a friendly pat on the back from cornerback Darrelle Revis at the play’s conclusion.  You can see the play in full starting at the :24 second mark here.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

hx1dAczK3Yo

Click here to read the full story...

No guts boys ; no guts .

People act surprised by this? There is no hate among players based on uniforms. That went out more than a decade ago. The players are a fraternity that has mutual interests that are not attuned in harming league stars, or harming any of their fraternity.

Check out post game meetings. Check out how they hang out when games are not going on. They share agents, they share common interests and they share the want to stay healthy and earn a living.

I can understand all of this, and it is not like it used to be. The NFC used to hate the AFC. Division rivals used to hate each other. Now they all share the same pie, and have more of a want for harmony, rather than spite or jealousy. The NFL has preached that is what is good for the whole, is good for the individual. And the players and league acts that way.

Are people just getting this?

I'm not going to try and defend what Revis, et al. did against Brady because they should have been more aggressive. At the same time, I distinctly remember the Jets getting a pick six called back against Andrew Luck in 2012 because one of the Jets defenders "hit him too hard" even though he was trying to make a tackle. The refs would have had a field day if one of our guys smacked Brady. 

6 minutes ago, TheMagicRat said:

I'm not going to try and defend what Revis, et al. did against Brady because they should have been more aggressive. At the same time, I distinctly remember the Jets getting a pick six called back against Andrew Luck in 2012 because one of the Jets defenders "hit him too hard" even though he was trying to make a tackle. The refs would have had a field day if one of our guys smacked Brady. 

I'd give up 6 to see Brady get leveled. 

29 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

People act surprised by this? There is no hate among players based on uniforms. That went out more than a decade ago. The players are a fraternity that has mutual interests that are not attuned in harming league stars, or harming any of their fraternity.

Check out post game meetings. Check out how they hang out when games are not going on. They share agents, they share common interests and they share the want to stay healthy and earn a living.

I can understand all of this, and it is not like it used to be. The NFC used to hate the AFC. Division rivals used to hate each other. Now they all share the same pie, and have more of a want for harmony, rather than spite or jealousy. The NFL has preached that is what is good for the whole, is good for the individual. And the players and league acts that way.

Are people just getting this?

They should be trying to win the game, knocking Brady the f out would have increased this chance significantly, even the buffoons on our defence should have realised that.

And to say its all our buddy buddy out there these days is BS, Brandon Marshall still gets into it with the opposition unfortunately one of the few that does on this soft team.

5 hours ago, jetsfan719 said:

If rex were coach u could bet these players would be gettin chewed out for not taking his head off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes it worse is the number of times we've seen Fitz get absolutely blasted this season any time a defender has a chance.  I thought he was gonna' be placed in concussion protocol on more than one occasion, especially the play when the defender lead with his head as they went to the ground and knocked his helmet and chin strap off.

3 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

They should be trying to win the game, knocking Brady the f out would have increased this chance significantly, even the buffoons on our defence should have realised that.

And to say its all our buddy buddy out there these days is BS, Brandon Marshall still gets into it with the opposition unfortunately one of the few that does on this soft team.

Exactly...as I said in my post above, all anyone has to do is watch a few Jets games and see the hits Fitz has taken.  He's been head-hunted multiple times when he becomes a legal target. 

Just now, Nick Blitz said:

This is a league that now legislates "intent" on hits with fines and suspensions.

The players in this league realize that players of the ilk of Brady are the butter on their bread that drives salaries and league royalties. The are not interested in hurting the golden goose. And that goose is the shared pot.

Just look how the league in total has evolved. A decade ago, even the networks tried to outdo each other in trying to lure viewers of one conference vs the other. First NBC (then CBS) owned AFC games. Then CBS (now Fox) owned NFC game. They operated as if they were almost different leagues, trying to out do each other, draw more viewers than each other. 

Now, the league is treated in harmony. CBS advertises games that are on Fox. Fox advertises games on CBS. ESPN and NBC advertise for the totality as well. They are trained to understand that what is in the best interests of the total, is in the best interest of the individual. Players have adopted the name  tact. I am not even sure if "non fraternization" rules are still in effect. They certainly are not followed.

I am not saying that this is the correct way, but it is the current way. The players look out for each other, particularly stars, and continue to do so. Heck, Joe Namath used to get special regard by players, at the end of his career. That is because he paved the way for salary proliferation and the leagues coming together. It is just more rampant now.

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

What makes it worse is the number of times we've seen Fitz get absolutely blasted this season any time a defender has a chance.  I thought he was gonna' be placed in concussion protocol on more than one occasion, especially the play when the defender lead with his head as they went to the ground and knocked his helmet and chin strap off.

If you believe that the players treat Tom Brady and Ryan Fitzpatrick with the same respect, you are absolutely living a fantasy world. 

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This is a league that now legislates "intent" on hits with fines and suspensions.

The players in this league realize that players of the ilk of Brady are the butter on their bread that drives salaries and league royalties. The are not interested in hurting the golden goose. And that goose is the shared pot.

Just look how the league in total has evolved. A decade ago, even the networks tried to outdo each other in trying to lure viewers of one conference vs the other. First NBC (then CBS) owned AFC games. Then CBS (now Fox) owned NFC game. They operated as if they were almost different leagues, trying to out do each other, draw more viewers than each other. 

Now, the league is treated in harmony. CBS advertises games that are on Fox. Fox advertises games on CBS. ESPN and NBC advertise for the totality as well. They are trained to understand that what is in the best interests of the total, is in the best interest of the individual. Players have adopted the name  tact. I am not even sure if "non fraternization" rules are still in effect. They certainly are not followed.

I am not saying that this is the correct way, but it is the current way. The players look out for each other, particularly stars, and continue to do so. Heck, Joe Namath used to get special regard by players, at the end of his career. That is because he paved the way for salary proliferation and the leagues coming together. It is just more rampant now.

This is it....It's not a "respect" thing...it's simply in the players best interest to not hurt Brady.  This is widely understood by the players, coaches, management and refs...

This type of protection is not afforded to any other QB (P. Manning was the only other I've seen protected like this) let alone Fitz.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is it....It's not a "respect" thing...it's simply in the players best interest to not hurt Brady.  This is widely understood by the players, coaches, management and refs...

This type of protection is not afforded to any other QB (P. Manning was the only other I've seen protected like this) let alone Fitz.

Brady is 38 years old on bad knees.  What do you think is going to happen to player salaries when he retires?

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Brady is 38 years old on bad knees.  What do you think is going to happen to player salaries when he retires?

Brady has at least 3 more years left...but that's not even the point.  

The league has him in a protection bubble and all of the players know it.  It's in their best interest not to hurt him because they'll be punished for it.  I don't believe they're thinking big picture - just immediate impact to their pocketbooks...

Honestly, if one of the Jets laid him out - he would have been penalized 15 yards,  suspended and fined...that's why they didn't do it.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Players salaries are driven by revenue from largely television contracts and other revenue streams. Brady certainly helps drive interest in "non-fans", so there is an interest in keeping him upright.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Brady has at least 3 more years left...but that's not even the point.  

The league has him in a protection bubble and all of the players know it.  It's in their best interest not to hurt him because they'll be punished for it.  I don't believe they're thinking big picture - just immediate impact to their pocketbooks...

Honestly, if one of the Jets laid him out - he would have been penalized 15 yards,  suspended and fined...that's why they didn't do it.

Penalty, absolutely.  Fined, maybe.  Suspended?  Not a chance.  Worth the 15 yards and possible fine?  Yes.

If he retired today, players would keep making the same money they are now and would continue to increase.

In a league of almost 2,000 players, no one player is the reason why they get paid well, and if a Jet defender, especially a young defender such as Jordan Jenkins had knocked him out, he'd get enough free meals in New York to cover the fine.

Just now, AFJF said:

Penalty, absolutely.  Fined, maybe.  Suspended?  Not a chance.  Worth the 15 yards and possible fine?  Yes.

If he retired today, players would keep making the same money they are now and would continue to increase.

In a league of almost 2,000 players, no one player is the reason why they get paid well, and if a Jet defender, especially a young defender such as Jordan Jenkins had knocked him out, he'd get enough free meals in New York to cover the fine.

I'm not saying I agree with them - I wish one of them would have laid him out (he shouldn't be lead blocking - get out of the way if he wants to be protected)

Only point I was trying to make was that I don't think it was a respect thing - I think it was a fear thing.  And this team has NO heart, NONE - if it did there wouldn't be this level of fear.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

If you do not believe that Tom Brady (and a select few others) drive league revenues, then again, you are living a fantasy world.

Salaries are created by league revenue, as stated earlier. Revenue is largely driven by television, and television is driven by ratings. 

The people on this board represent a small fraction of what the league considers to be hard core fans. That are never worried about losing that sector. We will watch the game if the ball is shaped square.

But, we are again a small fraction. What the NFL does care about are fringe fans. Fans who only care if someone cute, someone popular, or someone that has appeal for normal non-fans. Those are the people that drive numbers higher. Tom Brady scores high on that appeal. he also scores high on those fringe fans that hate him. He drives ratings.

THAT is where money comes from. NFL loves player that fans can relate to, or even hate. All the better

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not saying I agree with them - I wish one of them would have laid him out (he shouldn't be lead blocking - get out of the way if he wants to be protected)

Only point I was trying to make was that I don't think it was a respect thing - I think it was a fear thing.  And this team has NO heart, NONE - if it did there wouldn't be this level of fear.

It's a damn shame...especially when you consider what players have been doing to Cam Newton this season, coming off of a SB appearance and MVP award.  Teams are hitting him repeatedly and illegally, but no flags or fines.

Just now, AFJF said:

It's a damn shame...especially when you consider what players have been doing to Cam Newton this season, coming off of a SB appearance and MVP award.  Teams are hitting him repeatedly and illegally, but no flags or fines.

I'm not one to listen to whiny players but Cam really does take a beating...As a threat to run I can see giving more leeway to defenders but what happens to Cam does seem unfair.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not one to listen to whiny players but Cam really does take a beating...As a threat to run I can see giving more leeway to defenders but what happens to Cam does seem unfair.

That's the key thing...he took a TON of big hits in the pocket when he was clearly not going to be a runner.  When he met with the league, they told him they keep tabs on missed calls such as hits on the QB and IIRC, there were at least six other QB's ahead of him on the list, so guys are getting hit on a regular basis, to include the most recent MVP.  Elite QB's get hit if they're playing a team that's willing to do it.

27 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I understand the JN rhetoric, but the arm chair playing is a little ridiculous.

First, Brady was by the loosest definition a lead blocker.  He wanted nothing to do with contact.  I am sure if it thought he was going to get lit up he would have backed off and said " Nah...I am good".   In fact, he looks like he helped the Jets more than anything by getting in the way of Blount.

Second, I am not saying a defensive player would not take an opportunity to get an extra hit on a QB if the opportunity presented itself.  I am saying it is easy to watch the replay and say you should have done this or that when in real time they were looking to stop a big back that can be a load to take down when he is in his top gear.

Archived