Why Wouldn't The Jets Draft a QB Round 1 2017?

southtown24th

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I am hearing people talk about sticking with what we have and bringing in people like Tony Romo and Jay Cutler...

Explain to me the reasoning behind why would the Jets NOT select a QB in Round 1 in 2017--makes perfect sense to me.  

Enlighten me.

Because they have already spent significant draft capital on the position in the last couple of years and don't know what they have with them. And they have significant other needs that would impact the effectiveness of a rookie starting at QB, like their OT situation.

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I am hearing people talk about sticking with what we have and bringing in people like Tony Romo and Jay Cutler...

Explain to me the reasoning behind why would the Jets NOT select a QB in Round 1 in 2017--makes perfect sense to me.  

Enlighten me.

Hopefully those people are wrong.  We have no idea what their intentions are, and if they pass on a QB because of Hack or FItz, it'll be on par with Idzik passing on Carr because he'd drafted the great Geno Smith a year earlier.

Hmmmmm interesting.  Can't say I agree with any of this considering what's on the roster currently...

1. Fitzpatrick--sucks and is gone

2. Petty--unknown

3. Hackenberg--long term project

Why not go QB early next year and get ourselves a franchise QB?

People are serious about bringing in another retread (see: Favre, Fitzpatrick) to put a  band-aid on a bullet hole.

Once this franchise stops putting band-aids on the GAPING bullet hole that is the QB position, we will be able to move forward.

4 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Hmmmmm interesting.  Can't say I agree with any of this considering what's on the roster currently...

2. Petty--unknown

People are serious about bringing in another retread (see: Favre, Fitzpatrick) to put a  band-aid on a bullet hole.

Once this franchise stops putting band-aids on the GAPING bullet hole that is the QB position, we will be able to move forward.

So, say the Jets pick anywhere from #3-#7 in the draft - who you taking at QB ??

5 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

2. Petty--unknown

I can't say I agree with your notion to ignore the unknown for more unknown.

Consider Dak Prescott and Andrew Luck.

One is a "franchise QB" and the other is 9-1 because the rest of the offense has immense talent.

I wouldn't NOT draft a QB because of Hack and Petty but I don't think the Jets should take one just because.  Macc has to feel strongly that if we were take another QB he has to be significantly better than what we have with the ability start in 2017.  Another project QB makes no sense.   Ultimately if it's Hack, Petty or another guy drafted in 2017 the fans won't care about the wasted picks and will praise Macc if he finds the guy.

2 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

2. Petty--unknown

Because just because you draft a QB 4th or 5th in the draft does not guarantee that he will be "The Franchise". If you had an Andrew Luck coming out then hell yeah you do what you have to do. 

To me you need to find out about Petty the next 5 games. You know Fitz is not coming back, Geno is not coming back, You need to make a decision on Petty. I'd give him the rest of the season and some of next season, if he sucks, by mid 2017 you look at Hackenberg. Hopefully a guy like Browning comes out early.

8 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Because they have already spent significant draft capital on the position in the last couple of years and don't know what they have with them. And they have significant other needs that would impact the effectiveness of a rookie starting at QB, like their OT situation.

We actually don't know that they don't know what they have with them...I think it's pretty clear they know Petty isn't the future.  As for Hack, I can't imagine they're overly impressed with him either.  If there's a QB they like in the 1st they should absolutely take him...There may not be one they like and that's fine, but the QB's on the roster should have nothing to do with that decision.

If you find a QB you have 15 years to build a team around him...

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it's pretty clear they know Petty isn't the future.

Based on what? I think you're projecting your own feelings.

The future is bleak with this OL, no credible pass receiving TE and mundane RBs, no matter who the QB is.

Better they should abjectly lose with what they have than to subject a "franchise QB" to the dreck they currently call an OL, TE, and RB. There will be "franchise QBs" to draft next year should they find out that their current roster QBs are not good.

And, really, what separates the QBs on the roster from a "franchise QB"? They all have arms and height. What would the difference be?

18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Because all the QBS that will be available via draft stink.

That's pretty much what I've heard as well.  I'm not a draft guru, but when you just keep hearing "No QB with a 1st round grade", you probably shouldn't invest all that into one.

Just now, phill1c said:

Based on what? I think you're projecting your own feelings.

The future is bleak with this OL, no credible pass receiving TE and mundane RBs, no matter who the QB is.

It's def. not my feelings - I wish they would be great..Sure, it's an opinion as to why I think they know but it's a fair assessment.  

Let's start with Petty..

In short, he can't supplant the worst starting QB in the NFL - at a point when the season is already lost.  That clearly tells me what they think of him.  Let alone the comments from Mac about him someday being a capable back-up.  Petty will NOT be on the roster next year.  Maybe practice squad.

Now let's look at Hack...

Project player that they won't even dress.  They have a the worst ranked QB in the NFL starting, a  back-up that can't supplant him - yet he's still not even dressing.  It's very telling as to what they think of his progress.  

If that's the two QB's under contract for next year.  Then you absolutely have to take another QB if you like someone. 

19 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

2. Petty--unknown

I'm all for taking a QB, but here's the main issue... In all likelihood, we'll be picking 5th at highest and could drop to about 10.  There's a lot of talk about no QB being worth a top pick, but even at 5, sitting behind the Browns, 49ers, and Bears, we could pick at 5 and be sitting w/ the 3rd best QB in the draft.  That's not really what you want that early.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

It's def. not my feelings - I wish they would be great..Sure, it's an opinion as to why I think they know but it's a fair assessment.  

Let's start with Petty..

In short, he can't supplant the worst starting QB in the NFL - at a point when the season is already lost.  That clearly tells me what they think of him.  Let alone the comments from Mac about him someday being a capable back-up.  Petty will NOT be on the roster next year.  Maybe practice squad.

Now let's look at Hack...

Project player that they won't even dress.  They have a the worst ranked QB in the NFL starting, a  back-up that can't supplant him - yet he's still not even dressing.  It's very telling as to what they think of his progress.  

If that's the two QB's under contract for next year.  Then you absolutely have to take another QB if you like someone. 

Sorry, but this is flawed logic: that Todd Bowles says he's not good enough means nothing. In fact, to me, it means less than nothing.

Todd Bowles, a "defensive genius" whose defense is actually just as bad as his offense has ZERO credibility in my opinion.

And who is to say that he would not feel the same way about yet another rookie who doesn't know the system?

Just now, phill1c said:

Sorry, but this is flawed logic: that Todd Bowles says he's not good enough means nothing. In fact, to me, it means less than nothing.

Todd Bowles, a "defensive genius" whose defense is actually just as bad as his offense has ZERO credibility in my opinion.

And who is to say that he would not feel the same way about yet another rookie who doesn't know the system?

Sure...except that Bowles is in charge.  So if HE doesn't think what they have is good enough then you have to give him someone else.  That's the way it works.  The HC decides who plays.  

By your logic you can say that about anyone on the roster.  OL, TE, RB etc...that you think you need to upgrade you can make the claim that Bowles doesn't know what he's doing therefor you shouldn't draft that position.  

QB is BY FAR the most important on the field, in fact the most important position in any sport.  If you don't have one you keep taking them until you find one.

24 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That's pretty much what I've heard as well.  I'm not a draft guru, but when you just keep hearing "No QB with a 1st round grade", you probably shouldn't invest all that into one.

Listen your gonna hear Mitch Trubisky's name start to make a ton of noise soon, and if he is considered an elite prospect at QB he isn't going any further then Cleveland it's just that simple.

So even if 1 guy shoots up as a top prospect he doesn't have a chance in hell of getting to the Jets.  I'd even argue that if 2 guys become can't miss guys the Jets have zero chance at him with the teams that will pick in front of them, the Jets at best would get the 3rd best prospect picking at 5 IF there was that many QB'S worthy of a top 5 pick, there is no way Cleveland, and SF pass on can't miss QB prospects, and if their not can't miss I'm not using the 5th overall pick on them plain, and simple. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Listen your gonna hear Mitch Trubisky's name start to make a ton of noise soon, and if he is considered an elite prospect at QB he isn't going any further then Cleveland it's just that simple.

So even if 1 guy shoots up as a top prospect he doesn't have a chance in hell of getting to the Jets.  I'd even argue that if 2 guys become can't miss guys the Jets have zero chance at him with the teams that will pick in front of them, the Jets at best would get the 3rd best prospect picking at 5 IF there was that many QB'S worthy of a top 5 pick, there is no way Cleveland, and SF pass on can't miss QB prospects, and if their not can't miss I'm not using the 5th overall pick on them plain, and simple. 

I am not a draft expert, but i sense this happens every year.  We start out in December saying that the college QBs are not any good, and by April the first players drafted will be QBs.  The position is too important.

But if that is the case, I agree that Cleveland or SF will take the QBs, although at this point maybe the Jets pick ahead of SF.   I can see the Jets losing out.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am not a draft expert, but i sense this happens every year.  We start out in December saying that the college QBs are not any good, and by April the first players drafted will be QBs.  The position is too important.

But if that is the case, I agree that Cleveland or SF will take the QBs, although at this point maybe the Jets pick ahead of SF.   I can see the Jets losing out.

Spot on...See: Carson Wentz.  I'll take him any day.

2 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Some say Deshaun Watson is going to fall into the second round, can you imagine Watson + Fournette duo? We can dream can't we

Not sure on any of the QB's tbh. But former Jet great Tajh Boyd pretty much had identical numbers to Watson at Clemson....Clemson's got good players at WR. Not sure if he's just a product of that system or whatever....

5 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

First Rounders:

1. Watson

2. Kizer

3.  Trubisky

I would be curious as to where Sanchez and Wentz, among others, were projected to be picked in December/January before their drafts.

Trubisky has all the signs of a QB who rockets up the board.

3 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Enlighten me.

3 inexperienced qbs on one roster = bad? Unless you want to roll with 4 qbs again. Coaches tend to like to have atleast one veteran backup on the roster with some experience. Aside from that of course we will be out of range of the top qb(s) and probably would be reaching to draft one who could bust as opposed to drafting a pretty solid prospect like Peppers or a much needed LT? 

If drafting a third qb in three years and running with three inexperienced kids behind a bad offensive line and no veteran backup makes perfect sense to you it is because your job doesn't depend on the teams success because no coach / gm is going to do that.

16 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

3 inexperienced qbs on one roster = bad? Unless you want to roll with 4 qbs again. Coaches tend to like to have atleast one veteran backup on the roster with some experience. Aside from that of course we will be out of range of the top qb(s) and probably would be reaching to draft one who could bust as opposed to drafting a pretty solid prospect like Peppers or a much needed LT? 

If drafting a third qb in three years and running with three inexperienced kids behind a bad offensive line and no veteran backup makes perfect sense to you it is because your job doesn't depend on the teams success because no coach / gm is going to do that.

And we are back to square one..."one veteran QB on the roster"...

The never ending story...enjoy mediocrity for the next 40 years, I can't take it anymore...

Because there is not a QB in this draft right now that is worthy of a 1st round pick.
Sooner or later the Jets need to find out if they have anything in either Petty or Hackenberg. Hopefully Monday night we start to find out.

People say that every year. Every year they are wrong. It's just picking the right one.

Typical jets though always sucking when it's not a good QB year

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

And we are back to square one..."one veteran QB on the roster"...

The never ending story...enjoy mediocrity for the next 40 years, I can't take it anymore...

if you were hired as a head coach and knew your job is on the line if your team played poorly you would go into the season without a veteran backup atleast?

Archived