Brandon Marshall hopes to retire a Jet, but does team want him back ? ? ?

kelly

One of the New York Jets' toughest offseason decisions will be what to do about Brandon Marshall.

He's not the elite player he was last season, but he's still a starting-caliber wide receiver. Thing is, age (33 next year) and salary ($7.5 million) have to be considerations, along with the team's emerging talent at wide receiver.Marshall admitted he's not sure if he'll be back for the final year of his contract.

"You never know in this business," he said Monday.

If he chooses, Marshall could walk away from football and commit to a full-time television career -- he's pretty good on TV -- but he's not ready to go there just yet.

"Physically, I feel like I can play well into my mid-30s," he said. "So, obviously, no plans on retiring and no plans on switching teams. I'd love to stay here and retire as a Jet."Marshall has been nagged by a foot injury for most of the season, but he said his body hasn't felt this good in four years. His numbers are way down from last year's record-setting season, as he has only 43 catches for 601 yards and two touchdowns.

His future could be determined by how the Jets approach the offseason. If they start a youth movement, handing the position over to Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall, he'll be a goner. Marshall didn't want to comment on whether he'd want to stick around for a rebuilding year.He's the elder statesman of the receiving corps, saying he feels like a "proud uncle" to see Enunwa's emergence. On Sunday, he found himself offering advice to Anderson, who made a critical fumble in the 22-17 loss to the New England Patriots.

"Ball security is job security, yours and mine," Marshall said he told the rookie.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65189/brandon-marshall-hopes-to-retire-a-jet-but-do-they-want-him-back

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'd keep him. Marshall is nowhere near our team problems. 

Exactly this. 

He's been a pretty good presence. He plays hurt. He has plenty more good football in him, if there's a QB who can get the ball to him. Even Marshall can't over-compensate for balls thrown in the dirt.

One of Q's best strengths is that he is a match-up nightmare, but that changes if Marshall and Decker are gone. Marshall draws the double-team and thus Q is covered by the #2 corner. When Decker was in, he was often covered by a safety, nickel DB, or LB. This is where he shined. Just like Decker got better with Marshall here.

Decker is a 1a/2 WR.

Right now Q is a 1b/2-3 WR - but his future seems brighter.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

IMO I would like him to stay he's a massive level above any of those young guys except for Enunwa.  He's been a good player and he's had a good attitude for the most part.

BM has also had a tremendous influence on the other WRs!!

Quick to praise fellow teammates no matter what, love it!!!

Enunwa specifically cited Marshall and his guidance as to why he has improved so much. 

Marshall also gave our offense an identity. That is being big and physical and backing down from no one!!!

Marshall has become one of my favorite Jets of all time , so yes I want him back !!

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

IMO I would like him to stay he's a massive level above any of those young guys except for Enunwa.  He's been a good player and he's had a good attitude for the most part.

He works hard, he is a #1, he's big, strong, physical, unlike Decker he doesn't miss time, and he's not that expensive.  He's not a 15 million dollar player, he's like, 7.5

marshall is a horse.  he's big has very good hands and loves to battle defenders.  what's not to like/  the trouble he ws with denver, doltfins and the bears is well beind him.  he can probably be effective for another 4 years.  it all depends on how much the jets will be willing to pay.  imo, the combination of marshall, decker, and enunwa should be an excellent selling point for any free agent qb.  and they certainly make petty/hack's job that much easier too.

more re marshall..

~ ~   Age Is Just a Number 
This may be WR  Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif ’s 11th year in the league, but he is still consistently producing at a high level. In Sunday’s game, he moved into 25th place all-time in receiving yards, surpassing Hall of Famer Michael Irvin. He also extended his streak of consecutive games with a catch to 155, the second-longest active streak in the NFL (Larry Fitzgerald) while finishing the day with six receptions for 67 yards and one touchdown.

“I feel great. My body feels better than it did any other time in the last four years,” he said. “Obviously every year you get banged up. And the guys who are able to consistently at a high level through pain and some of those bumps and bruises, you’re never 100%. So I feel great when I look at the circumstances and physically I feel like I can play well into my mid-30s. No plans on retiring, no plans on switching teams. I’d love to stay here and retire as a Jet. I have to continue to focus on what I can control what I can on and off the field.”

rest of above article : 

>  http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Notes--Quotes-Lee-Takes-on-New-Role/47a90546-6f0c-4f3f-83e6-3f740680e54a

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Draft Mike Williams(Clemson.)  Makes decision easy.

Drafting a WR in the first round would be silly given what the Jets already have at the position. Also, I'm pretty sure the bust rate of wide receivers named Mike Williams is 100%.

1 hour ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

He'll be in LA along with Romo next yr. 

Haha. Neither guy will be in LA next year unless they're on vacation. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Drafting a WR in the first round would be silly given what the Jets already have at the position. Also, I'm pretty sure the bust rate of wide receivers named Mike Williams is 100%.

What do they have Carl? Devin Smith has been a ghost so far,Jalin Marshall nothing spectular,Robbie Anderson cant take an NFL hit and Cheron Peake who?  A bunch of JAGS

This is such a NO BRAINER its ridiculous to even think about letting him go! 7.5 Million is nothing for a player like Marshall. My god, were paying our f*cking fat center who can't stay on the field more than that! (I get it, Mangold WAS a great Jet, I agree, but a lot of us were watching him balloon in size, and lose his mobility).

The Jets should be doing EVERYTHING they can to give whoever the QB is going to be in 2017 AS MANY WEAPONS as possible! Even with Marshall & Decker if Macs went Mike Williams in the 1st, Id be like YEA BABY! Now use your 4th & 2nd to move up for Fournette!

I want an EXCITING offensive team! We already have better defenders than the Saints. Williams would slide right in after Marshall retires.

You want excitement? How about seeing Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Mike Williams & Quincy Enunwa in a 4 WR set! With Fournette, Devin Cook, or Christian McCaffrey in the backfield! BUILD A F*CKING OFFENSE FOR ONCE HERE IN NY! You could draft all OLINE the rest of the draft, sign a FA CB like Gilmore & an edge rusher like Chandler Jones & your all set! Hold teams to 21 & score 24-35 every freaking week!

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Mike Williams is a game breaker and a game changer. The last time the Jets had a WR like that it was Al TOOOOOOON. 

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What do they have Carl? Devin Smith has been a ghost so far,Jalin Marshall nothing spectular,Robbie Anderson cant take an NFL hit and Cheron Peake who?  A bunch of JAGS

For once I am in agreement with joewilly here.  We have some promise of players amongst those listed but none of those guys look like stars to me.  It will all depend who else is on the board at the time but if Williams is as good as he seems then I'd have no trouble with him in the 1st.

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They have Marshall, Decker, and Q. Just in case you forgot.

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Mike Williams is a game breaker and a game changer. The last time the Jets had a WR like that it was Al TOOOOOOON. 

Cool. Not a need or a player the Jets should invest highly in.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

For once I am in agreement with joewilly here.  We have some promise of players amongst those listed but none of those guys look like stars to me.  It will all depend who else is on the board at the time but if Williams is as good as he seems then I'd have no trouble with him in the 1st.

Those guys he listed are the number 4-7 WRs on this team. They don't need to be stars. They need to contribute, and they have done that in various ways. WRs typically take a few years to develop and aside from Devin Smith, they are all players who are late round picks or UDFA. Very hard to judge them this early.

23 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They have Marshall, Decker, and Q. Just in case you forgot.

Cool. Not a need or a player the Jets should invest highly in.

Those guys he listed are the number 4-7 WRs on this team. They don't need to be stars. They need to contribute, and they have done that in various ways. WRs typically take a few years to develop and aside from Devin Smith, they are all players who are late round picks or UDFA. Very hard to judge them this early.

Besides Marshall,Decker and Enunwa we have nothing at WR... develop? here we go again like Stephen Hill developed or Jalen Saunders...

Just like 4 QB's we have nothing no depth no soon to be rising stars.

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Besides Marshall,Decker and Enunwa we have nothing at WR... develop? here we go again like Stephen Hill developed or Jalen Saunders...

Just like 4 QB's we have nothing no depth no soon to be rising stars.

Yeah. Besides those three receivers the Jets have nothing (LOL). There are lots of teams who would love to trade WR groups.

And if you have no faith in WRs developing, take a look at Q. His growth in his short career has been remarkable and the same thing can happen for Anderson, Peake, and Marshall. They've all shown flashes of being productive NFL receivers.

I think at this point you're just trolling.

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah. Besides those three receivers the Jets have nothing (LOL). There are lots of teams who would love to trade WR groups.

And if you have no faith in WRs developing, take a look at Q. His growth in his short career has been remarkable and the same thing can happen for Anderson, Peake, and Marshall. They've all shown flashes of being productive NFL receivers.

I think at this point you're just trolling.

Quincy Enunwa is a beast he's got what it takes and has proven that all those other undersized too skinny WR's aren't anything special.

Which one of them besides Enunwa has stepped it up in Deckers absence? 

I think you dont have a clue. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Quincy Enunwa is a beast he's got what it takes and has proven that all those other undersized too skinny WR's aren't anything special.

Which one of them besides Enunwa has stepped it up in Deckers absence? 

I think you dont have a clue. 

Yeah. Not going to debate this with you anymore. You show time and again that you're too obtuse to have an actual football discussion with. Enunwa has proven that given time and effort any of those other receivers could be something special. You're just too impatient and too dense to even understand that notion.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah. Not going to debate this with you anymore. You show time and again that you're too obtuse to have an actual football discussion with. Enunwa has proven that given time and effort any of those other receivers could be something special. You're just too impatient and too dense to even understand that notion.

What about Robbie Anderson great game Sunday huh? 

Sorry the truth hurts Carl. 

I like(d) him just fine the first couple of years, but if he really might miss or still be rusty for most or all of next year the receiver they should be thinking of cutting ties with is Decker more than Marshall. They can wait until the end of the summer to make a decision, since he has no new bonus money due anyway. Good chance he won't be 100% what he was for at least half the season, and then he has 1 year left in 2018.

Team can survive just fine with the WR group they currently have (which doesn't yet even include Devin Smith this year). One more year of

1. B.Marshall
  2. Enunwa
  3. Anderson
  4. Peake
  5. Smith
  6. J.Marshall

is more than enough without Decker. If our passing game sucks again next year it won't be because of a lack of Eric Decker. At some point if these kids are starting to perform even better then they don't need to get buried behind both a starting-to-age Marshall & a <100% Decker because they have seniority. 

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What about Robbie Anderson great game Sunday huh? 

Sorry the truth hurts Carl. 

To be fair, it wasn't like Q didn't have his problems last year. Remember when everyone was like, 'what's with this hype about this guy'?.

Rookie players make rookie mistakes. Rookie WR don't normally run great routes, misread defenses, and aren't in sink with their QBs. Will any of our rookies improve next year, who knows. But, if you want to build a team via the draft, you are eventually going to have to play the guys you draft. Developing WRs (or any other rookie) is required when building a team. You can't expect them to be perfect year 1 or 2. You look for athletic talent, work ethic, and then growth.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Exactly this. 

He's been a pretty good presence. He plays hurt. He has plenty more good football in him, if there's a QB who can get the ball to him. Even Marshall can't over-compensate for balls thrown in the dirt.

In fact, if you look at the offense, there's really aren't many problems.  There are a lot of good players.  The QB play stinks.  Fix that and you've got a good offense.  Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Powell, ASJ, Winters, Carpenter.  Lots of good/talented players.

Archived