Brandon Marshall hopes to retire a Jet, but does team want him back ? ? ?

kelly

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

In fact, if you look at the offense, there's really aren't many problems.  There are a lot of good players.  The QB play stinks.  Fix that and you've got a good offense.  Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Powell, ASJ, Winters, Carpenter.  Lots of good/talented players.

The OL isn't very good as a unit; LT is suspect.

5 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

The OL isn't very good as a unit; LT is suspect.

The Jets are very good up the middle.  Tackles are suspect, but every team has weaknesses. 

The point is, solid QB play makes this a good offense.  See 2015 Jets offense.  

The defense is the unit with the overrated and overpaid players, not to mention crappy coaching.  That's where the trash needs to be taken out.

Focusing on guys like Brandon Marshall is misguided.

22 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

WR is an Iron link on the Jets. BM is a keeper. Only the Jets would do something like cut or trade him. He is a good cover for the developing young talent at WR. 

Yeah, I agree.

He's only under contract for 1 more year and I'd leave it alone with him. He's hyper-supportive of whichever QB is on the field and, since we're hopefully going to be breaking in a young QB, this is a good thing. He doesn't seem to be the type that walks back to the huddle shaking his head & then chews out the QB on every play where he wasn't targeted. He was noticeably supportive of Petty in his locker room interview even after a meh start in the Rams game.

Contrast that with Decker who - while on IR - publicly suggested just putting him onto the field in the first place would be a slap in the face to the rest of the team. The HC doesn't need that type of person in his locker room, no matter how pretty he is. Hate to say it, because he can still play and ideally I'd like to see him retire as a Jet, but the same probably goes for Mangold as well. That he's $9M for 1 more non-superbowl year makes such a decision that much more compelling if he's going to bitch behind the scenes about wasting his last year(s) on breaking in a young QB. 

Marshall is the one veteran that doesn't seem to be like this at all. Wish he wouldn't drop a bunch of easy catches, but literally every receiver on the team shouldn't still be on his rookie contract. 

Will Quincy Enunwa's success result in Jets cutting Brandon Marshall ?

Even though the Jets are 3-8, they've experienced some intriguing developments at the wide receiver position this season. 

First, Eric Decker (shoulder) went on season-ending injured reserve after playing in just three games and catching nine passes. Decker's two touchdowns in 2016 still rank third on the team -- a sign of how bad the Jets' offense has played.Quincy Enunwa, a third-year pro, has shown serious potential while taking over for Decker as the Jets' No. 2 receiver. In fact, Enunwa has been just as productive as the Jets' No. 1 receiver, Brandon Marshall. So will the Jets cut (or trade) Marshall after this season and go with Decker, Enunwa, and their trio of current rookies (Robby Anderson, Charone Peake, and Jalin Marshall) entering 2017? From a salary cap standpoint, if the Jets want to allocate Marshall's cap space to rebuilding other positions, a cut or trade could make sense.

Next season is the last year of Marshall's contract. He is due to have a $7.5 million cap figure. All of that is his non-guaranteed base salary. So the Jets would save the full $7.5 million by cutting or trading him.Plus, Enunwa will be 25 when next season begins, and Marshall will be 33. Might an Enunwa-Decker pairing in 2017 work just as well as the Marshall-Decker duo did in 2015?Marshall, now in his 11th season, said he wants to continue playing, and wants to remain with the Jets. But it's not clear if they'll want to retain him.Then there is the matter of production. Marshall's numbers have dipped this season, due in part to Decker not being around to draw coverage away from Marshall. Still, the drop-off has been startling. 

Consider Marshall's 2015 and 2016 stats, and also how Enunwa's 2016 numbers measure up to what Marshall has done this year: 

* Marshall in 2015: 173 targets, 109 catches, 1,502 yards, 14 touchdowns 

* Marshall in 2016: 100 targets, 49 catches, 668 yards, 3 touchdowns 

* Enunwa in 2016: 74 targets, 43 catches, 643 yards, 4 touchdowns 

Enunwa showed flashes of potential last season, when he had 46 targets, 22 catches, 315 yards, and zero touchdowns. But after playing a hybrid H-back position last year -- with elements of tight end and receiver -- he has blossomed into a more complete receiver this season. 

Last week's loss to the Patriots was the best game of his career -- five targets, five catches, 109 yards (long of 40), and one acrobatic touchdown."I've shown myself what I know I'm capable of doing," Enunwa said after the game. "Everybody else, I'm just still trying to prove. I came into this season hungry. Last year, I made so many mistakes that I knew I was better than. In practice, I would make plays. In the game, I just wasn't able to put it all together.

"So this year, I've just tried to make sure that when I go out there, I just do exactly what I know I can do. I hope that I can keep that going for the rest of the year and the rest of my career." 

Even though Enunwa's production increase could make Marshall expendable after this season, Marshall admires Enunwa's growth."I feel like a proud uncle," Marshall said. "To see how far he has come from last year to this year, I'm talking about the little things. I remember when I first got here [last year], he used to run routes so hard and so aggressive, it felt like he was going to break his legs on every single route." 

Marshall said he spoke with Enunwa about being "smoother in and out of your breaks" on routes. They watched film together to work on this stuff."He's done an excellent job of taking what we're talking about on the practice field, in the meeting room, and executing on Sunday," Marshall said. "It's awesome to see a guy that you pour into -- a guy that you know has potential -- really work at it and take it to the next level.

"One of the most hurtful things is when you pour into someone -- or you see someone with potential and you try to help them -- and they do nothing with it. I'm really proud of him." 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/will_quincy_enunwas_success_result_in_jets_cutting.html#incart_river_index

13 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

The Jets are very good up the middle.  Tackles are suspect, but every team has weaknesses. 

The point is, solid QB play makes this a good offense.  See 2015 Jets offense.  

The defense is the unit with the overrated and overpaid players, not to mention crappy coaching.  That's where the trash needs to be taken out.

Focusing on guys like Brandon Marshall is misguided.

while i agree that a good QB makes any team better, this OL is not very good. Yes all teams have weaknesses, but I would say our OL is sub par. First of all, that tackles provide much of the protection in the passing game, so if the QB doesn't have time the passing game would suffer. Put Dak with our OL and see how well he plays. Secondly, I would hardly call our middle 'very good'. Carpenter is the best of the middle at this point, Winters is serviceable at best. Unfortunately, the middle and the right is where much of the running game comes from and we have been struggling there as well.

Bringing it back to the topic; Marshall is good enough and affordable enough to not try and replace him at this point. Upgrading QB, OL, OLB and secondary are way more important IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

BOWEN : MARSHALL IS NFL'S BEST WR IN TRAFFIC

Catching the ball in a crowd is a three-step process :  Make the grab, secure the ball, take the hit. This type of game caters to a frame like Brandon Marshall's, Matt Bowen writes. Bowen's best WRs (Insider)

>       http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

54 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Enunwa is a good 2 he's not a #1 WR 

If a QB spreads it around effectively enough, including on pressure downs, the label of #1 or #2 type WR shouldn't matter as much as it's made out to be. 

In the absence of either Marshall or Decker (if the Jets only keep 1 of the 2), there are still plenty of talented targets here for a QB. The value of a "#1" WR is if there aren't so many options. This isn't such a problem. Even without B.Marshall they'd still have Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, D.Smith, J.Marshall.

Personally I'd keep Marshall over Decker if it was a choice of only 1 or the other, but it's more that I believe Decker would be a bigger problem than Marshall if the Jets went into the season without a veteran QB he personally approved of. Not a sure thing I'm right, but it's my impression based on their respective comments this season, and purposely scheduling a vacation during OTAs (which no one could seriously believe he'd have done if Fitzpatrick was signed and showing up). I'd let their respective health decide more than that, though. Both would presumably play hard once camp & the season begins.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If a QB spreads it around effectively enough, including on pressure downs, the label of #1 or #2 type WR shouldn't matter as much as it's made out to be. 

In the absence of either Marshall or Decker (if the Jets only keep 1 of the 2), there are still plenty of talented targets here for a QB. The value of a "#1" WR is if there aren't so many options. This isn't such a problem. Even without B.Marshall they'd still have Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, D.Smith, J.Marshall.

Personally I'd keep Marshall over Decker if it was a choice of only 1 or the other, but it's more that I believe Decker would be a bigger problem than Marshall if the Jets went into the season without a veteran QB he personally approved of. Not a sure thing I'm right, but it's my impression based on their respective comments this season, and purposely scheduling a vacation during OTAs (which no one could seriously believe he'd have done if Fitzpatrick was signed and showing up). I'd let their respective health decide more than that, though. Both would presumably play hard once camp & the season begins.

Exactly.  Look at Stafford w/o Megatron.  Four or five good WR's is better than 1 great one and a bunch of bums.

On 11/29/2016 at 1:23 PM, joewilly12 said:

Quincy Enunwa is a beast he's got what it takes and has proven that all those other undersized too skinny WR's aren't anything special.

Which one of them besides Enunwa has stepped it up in Deckers absence? 

I think you dont have a clue. 

Think Enunwa being with the team longer may have helped him?

See anything in the others that makes you think they cant be productive?

Do you ever friggen stop whining about shlt you have no clue of?

I like Brandon Marshall.  A lot.  He is a competitor.  An advocate for people with mental illness.  And a really good football player. 

I would like to see him stay, especially if he wants to.  My 4 year rebuild plan calls for dumping most veterans to field a "youthful and energetic loser" for a few years. However, a couple of quality vets is not a bad idea either.  Just for representation of work ethic and overcoming obstacles.  I am OK with keeping B-Marsh, or moving on from him.   Kind of torn on this one.  I would consider his wishes when it comes to where he wants to play, something that should rarely matter to an organization.

27 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Don't really get how Marshall is considered a problem child we need to cut. He's the only vet who has actually played hard this season and he gets paid way less than the diva crew (Revis, Wilk, Fitz)

He's not.  He actually earns his pay check and helps the team, whether it's contending or rebuilding.  I want my young QB throwing to this guy.

21 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

He's not.  He actually earns his pay check and helps the team, whether it's contending or rebuilding.  I want my young QB throwing to this guy.

I'd be surprised if Marshall got cut.  Tbh I think we need to keep both him and Decker.  The only shot we have at even being competitive the next couple years is sticking with this WR corps and somehow getting an actual QB who can take advantage of them.

Decker getting injured really killed our season because Enunwa was feasting on those crappy third and fourth string Corners.

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Think Enunwa being with the team longer may have helped him?

See anything in the others that makes you think they cant be productive?

Do you ever friggen stop whining about shlt you have no clue of?

Quincy Enunwa breaking out in year three is proof that Robby Anderson should break out in yer one, or he sucks....lol

11 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If we want to totally give up and tank in 17, we shouldn't bring back Marshall.. 

Only way we are even competitive next season is if we keep this entire group of receivers and sign Glennon to throw to them.

That's why I've soured on Fitz so much.  Most qb's would kill to have our WR's.   Fitz is throwing Ducks and making dumb mental mistakes

• 2 weeks later...

ets' Brandon Marshall laments 'unacceptable' year, looks to future

Brandon Marshall is disappointed in how this season has gone but feels he has plenty left to give the Jets, or whoever he plays with, next season. Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Is Brandon Marshall washed up as a No. 1 receiver, or is he simply a victim of circumstances ?

It's a question to ponder in the offseason as the New York Jets attempt to rebuild their talent-poor roster. Marshall's numbers are down, way down, but he's also dealing with the worst quarterback situation in the league (based on passer rating). You're naive if you believe the erratic quarterback play has had no impact on his production.But you'd be stretching reality if you think he's the same player who re-wrote the team's receiving record book last season with 109 catches and 1,502 yards. He turns 33 in March, and you won't find too many receivers in history -- except for Jerry Rice -- who have dominated at that age.

Still, Marshall sees no falloff in his game.

"I know I can play at a high level," he said. "It just hasn't happened this year given the situations."

Marshall reported to training camp "in the best shape of my life" (225 pounds). He felt the same way from a mental standpoint, having spent more time than usual in the offseason focusing on the cerebral aspect to the game.

The results haven't been good.

He has 57 catches, tied for 45th.

He has 760 receiving yards, 38th.

His catch percentage (receptions/targets) is 47.1, 144th out of 145 qualifying players.

He has seven drops, tied for fourth.

"This has been a disappointing year. It's unacceptable," Marshall said. "I have to find ways to get better going forward, but there's only so much you can do. You can only control things you can control."

Translation: He can't fix the quarterback problem.

Ryan Fitzpatrick struggled, Geno Smith lasted about a minute and Bryce Petty is experiencing severe growing pains in his first starting gig.Marshall and Petty have no chemistry. They didn't play much together in the preseason, and it shows. It's not anybody's fault, it's just the way it is. Conversely, Petty has a strong rapport with Robby Anderson, his favorite target in the preseason.

The quarterback problem might not be solved next season, but Marshall doesn't want to leave the Jets. He wants to finish his career in New York, where he also works as a studio analyst for Showtime's "Inside the NFL." It's an ideal set-up for him, but will it be ideal for the Jets?

They have some tough decisions to make in the offseason. Marshall is due to make $7.5 million in 2017, the final year of his contract. That might sound like a lot, but his salary ranks only 21st among wide receivers (based on cap charge). In that respect, he's affordable.

It'll come down to a philosophical decision for the Jets, who might emphasize youth as they attempt to overhaul the roster. Marshall still believes he's an elite receiver, and he pointed to two games early in the season.

Facing Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson, two of the top cornerbacks, Marshall made four catches for 89 yards (one touchdown) and three for 70, respectively."You look at my matchups with those guys, one on one, and see if I can still play," he said.

The ultimate decision belongs to the Jets.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65818/jets-brandon-marshall-laments-unacceptable-year-looks-to-future

8 minutes ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

FWIW - the Jets should be able to find a younger, replacement veteran WR for $7.5/year.

Take your pick from this list:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/

LOL. Any WR on that list that is better than Marshall will DEFINITELY cost more than Marshall and will demand a longer contract (remember, Marshall is a FA next year-2018). 

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

LOL. Any WR on that list that is better than Marshall will DEFINITELY cost more than Marshall and will demand a longer contract (remember, Marshall is a FA next year-2018). 

Aside from DeSean Jackson at about the same price as Marshall, I would rather be interested in Alshon Jeffery at 11.9M/yr  ** IF**  the Jets wants to go young and elite at WR. Otherwise look for a trade or draft.

Relative to Marshall, with Jeffery you're talking a $4.4M uplift at a key position and given the (it better happen) release of under performing vets, the Jets can afford this. 

2 hours ago, kelly said:

ets' Brandon Marshall laments 'unacceptable' year, looks to future

Brandon Marshall is disappointed in how this season has gone but feels he has plenty left to give the Jets, or whoever he plays with, next season. Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Is Brandon Marshall washed up as a No. 1 receiver, or is he simply a victim of circumstances ?

It's a question to ponder in the offseason as the New York Jets attempt to rebuild their talent-poor roster. Marshall's numbers are down, way down, but he's also dealing with the worst quarterback situation in the league (based on passer rating). You're naive if you believe the erratic quarterback play has had no impact on his production.But you'd be stretching reality if you think he's the same player who re-wrote the team's receiving record book last season with 109 catches and 1,502 yards. He turns 33 in March, and you won't find too many receivers in history -- except for Jerry Rice -- who have dominated at that age.

Still, Marshall sees no falloff in his game.

"I know I can play at a high level," he said. "It just hasn't happened this year given the situations."

Marshall reported to training camp "in the best shape of my life" (225 pounds). He felt the same way from a mental standpoint, having spent more time than usual in the offseason focusing on the cerebral aspect to the game.

The results haven't been good.

He has 57 catches, tied for 45th.

He has 760 receiving yards, 38th.

His catch percentage (receptions/targets) is 47.1, 144th out of 145 qualifying players.

He has seven drops, tied for fourth.

"This has been a disappointing year. It's unacceptable," Marshall said. "I have to find ways to get better going forward, but there's only so much you can do. You can only control things you can control."

Translation: He can't fix the quarterback problem.

Ryan Fitzpatrick struggled, Geno Smith lasted about a minute and Bryce Petty is experiencing severe growing pains in his first starting gig.Marshall and Petty have no chemistry. They didn't play much together in the preseason, and it shows. It's not anybody's fault, it's just the way it is. Conversely, Petty has a strong rapport with Robby Anderson, his favorite target in the preseason.

The quarterback problem might not be solved next season, but Marshall doesn't want to leave the Jets. He wants to finish his career in New York, where he also works as a studio analyst for Showtime's "Inside the NFL." It's an ideal set-up for him, but will it be ideal for the Jets?

They have some tough decisions to make in the offseason. Marshall is due to make $7.5 million in 2017, the final year of his contract. That might sound like a lot, but his salary ranks only 21st among wide receivers (based on cap charge). In that respect, he's affordable.

It'll come down to a philosophical decision for the Jets, who might emphasize youth as they attempt to overhaul the roster. Marshall still believes he's an elite receiver, and he pointed to two games early in the season.

Facing Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson, two of the top cornerbacks, Marshall made four catches for 89 yards (one touchdown) and three for 70, respectively."You look at my matchups with those guys, one on one, and see if I can still play," he said.

The ultimate decision belongs to the Jets.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65818/jets-brandon-marshall-laments-unacceptable-year-looks-to-future

LMFAO - "you can only control, things you can control" - you ****er.  You pleaded for Fitz the entire offseason.  YOU ASKED FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

Aside from DeSean Jackson at about the same price as Marshall, I would rather be interested in Alshon Jeffery at 11.9M/yr  ** IF**  the Jets wants to go young and elite at WR. Otherwise look for a trade or draft.

Relative to Marshall, with Jeffery you're talking a $4.4M uplift at a key position and given the (it better happen) release of under performing vets, the Jets can afford this. 

Yes. Bringing Jeffery in would be nice as a replacement for Marshall. Bigger investment, bigger payoff.  

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He like almost every other vet on this team has played poorly this year, way too many dropped passes.  I'd like him back because he can be a QB's biggest help but would not be surprised if they moved on.

You guys are nuts.  Our QB's have been wet garbage this year.

Marshall has played hard.  He is the one veteran worthy of keeping.

9 hours ago, drdetroit said:

You guys are nuts.  Our QB's have been wet garbage this year.

Marshall has played hard.  He is the one veteran worthy of keeping.

No he simply has not all the time, unless you have not watched some of the games.  He has dropped a iot of balls and looked like the malaise had hit him last game.  QBs garbage?  for sure that doesn't absolve you as  player though.  Hey I ant him back but he has had a poor year by his standards.

Archived