First line of this article is mind blowing...

whodeawhodat

http://nypost.com/2016/11/29/romo-petty-breaking-down-divergent-qb-paths-awaiting-jets/

Romo? Petty? Breaking down divergent QB paths awaiting Jets

Here is a depressing statistic for all of you Jets fans that underscores how miserable this team’s quarterback history has been: Ryan Fitzpatrick moved past Geno Smith into eighth place in team history with 6,157 passing yards as a Jet.

Let that soak in for a minute: Fitzpatrick and Smith are two of the 10 best quarterbacks statistically this franchise has had.

Which brings us to this offseason. The Jets are faced with another huge decision to make at quarterback, which has been a pretty steady storyline for this team since Joe Namath left town after 1976.

This 2017 quarterback decision for general manager Mike Maccagnan sets up like one of those old “Choose Your Own Adventure” kids books. Remember those? Where you were a character and after a few pages, you were given a few options and jumped to page 43 with one option or page 52 with another.

Maccagnan’s decision about what to do at quarterback next year can be summarized by a series of questions and what his answers are to them.

Is the quarterback on the current roster?

This is where your adventure begins. There is about a 1 percent chance Fitzpatrick is back next year, so cross him off the list. Geno Smith is likely gone, too, but I could see a scenario where the Jets decide Smith is worth keeping around if they do not like the other options out there. I’m not sure Smith would want to stay here, but his options will be limited after knee surgery.

Even with Smith a small possibility, this is really about the kids. Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg are unknowns at this point. That is why the fanbase is clamoring to see at least one of them. Coach Todd Bowles has been reluctant to pull the plug on 2016 and turn to Petty, but that is coming. Figure Petty gets at least four total games this season (including one he already played). That will give the Jets a good idea of what they have in him. Hackenberg is unlikely to be viewed as a starter in 2017. The 2016 second-round pick is a project and the Jets know it.

So, if Maccagnan answers “no” to this question, he should proceed to …

Do you bring in a “star” quarterback to win now?

This really is about Tony Romo. The Cowboys have found their future with Dak Prescott (taken 84 picks after Hackenberg, but that is a story for another day). Now, will they trade Romo in the offseason? The price figures to be a mid-round pick to get Romo, which the Jets should give up if they think he is the answer.

If you decide to go with Romo, that means you are going for it in 2017. That also means adding other free agents and trying to patch up the holes on this roster rather than going young and delaying the inevitable rebuild this team needs to undergo.

Outside of Romo, Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick would fit this mold and should be available. I don’t think Cutler would do well in New York. Kaepernick carries a ton of off-the-field baggage with him now that he is an active protester. He also has struggled over the last few years, although he has played better in recent weeks.

If Maccagnan answers “no” to this question, he should proceed to …

Modal Trigger

Do you sign a “bridge” quarterback?

If the decision is the Jets are going to rebuild with younger guys, but Petty and Hackenberg are not quite ready, this is the way to go.

Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer and Mike Glennon all should be available this offseason. Adding one of them could give you a professional starter while you bring Petty and/or Hackenberg along.

Do you draft another quarterback?

The Jets have drafted more quarterbacks than any other team since 2006. Do they go down that road again? This quarterback draft class is considered a weak one, but if you subscribe to the theory that you keep taking them until you find one, then the answer is yes.

You have reached the end of your adventure, Mike Maccagnan. If you chose wisely, this won’t be a conversation again in 2018. But, chances are, we’ll be doing this again next year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

Yeah I read this article and cringed.  How f*cking sad we are.  Both these guys are or have been in the running for the worst in the league.

At this point I'd take a flyer on Kap or GRIII if on the cheap.   

I would have been for RG3 last year and this coming year as our "vet" to compete.

7 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

http://nypost.com/2016/11/29/romo-petty-breaking-down-divergent-qb-paths-awaiting-jets/

Here is a depressing statistic for all of you Jets fans that underscores how miserable this team’s quarterback history has been: Ryan Fitzpatrick moved past Geno Smith into eighth place in team history with 6,157 passing yards as a Jet.

Let that soak in for a minute: Fitzpatrick and Smith are two of the 10 best quarterbacks statistically this franchise has had.

Which brings us to this offseason. The Jets are faced with another huge decision to make at quarterback, which has been a pretty steady storyline for this team since Joe Namath left town after 1976.

This 2017 quarterback decision for general manager Mike Maccagnan sets up like one of those old “Choose Your Own Adventure” kids books. Remember those? Where you were a character and after a few pages, you were given a few options and jumped to page 43 with one option or page 52 with another.

Maccagnan’s decision about what to do at quarterback next year can be summarized by a series of questions and what his answers are to them.

This is where your adventure begins. There is about a 1 percent chance Fitzpatrick is back next year, so cross him off the list. Geno Smith is likely gone, too, but I could see a scenario where the Jets decide Smith is worth keeping around if they do not like the other options out there. I’m not sure Smith would want to stay here, but his options will be limited after knee surgery.

Even with Smith a small possibility, this is really about the kids. Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg are unknowns at this point. That is why the fanbase is clamoring to see at least one of them. Coach Todd Bowles has been reluctant to pull the plug on 2016 and turn to Petty, but that is coming. Figure Petty gets at least four total games this season (including one he already played). That will give the Jets a good idea of what they have in him. Hackenberg is unlikely to be viewed as a starter in 2017. The 2016 second-round pick is a project and the Jets know it.

This really is about Tony Romo. The Cowboys have found their future with Dak Prescott (taken 84 picks after Hackenberg, but that is a story for another day). Now, will they trade Romo in the offseason? The price figures to be a mid-round pick to get Romo, which the Jets should give up if they think he is the answer.

If you decide to go with Romo, that means you are going for it in 2017. That also means adding other free agents and trying to patch up the holes on this roster rather than going young and delaying the inevitable rebuild this team needs to undergo.

Outside of Romo, Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick would fit this mold and should be available. I don’t think Cutler would do well in New York. Kaepernick carries a ton of off-the-field baggage with him now that he is an active protester. He also has struggled over the last few years, although he has played better in recent weeks.

Modal Trigger

If the decision is the Jets are going to rebuild with younger guys, but Petty and Hackenberg are not quite ready, this is the way to go.

Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer and Mike Glennon all should be available this offseason. Adding one of them could give you a professional starter while you bring Petty and/or Hackenberg along.

The Jets have drafted more quarterbacks than any other team since 2006. Do they go down that road again? This quarterback draft class is considered a weak one, but if you subscribe to the theory that you keep taking them until you find one, then the answer is yes.

You have reached the end of your adventure, Mike Maccagnan. If you chose wisely, this won’t be a conversation again in 2018. But, chances are, we’ll be doing this again next year.

Top Ten QB??? Are you kidding... What a Hack Job Article.... look at all the teams across the league... You think they have shining stars in 8th and 9th place at QB... No Way... in fact most of them have junk outside the top 2 or 3 ... that's why they are top 2 or 3 because they lasted so many years. After that its irrelevant for this .... If you have QBs that last many many years the top 10 would look like sh*t.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Exactly... who cares if they are top 10... its such a douchie bad statistic.

I thought of that.  We had no stability at the position so in our entire history, we had MANY QBs.  We arent Dallas where Aikman, White, Staubach, Dom Meridith and Romo can account for decades of history. That being said out of all the sh*tbags that have taken a snap for our team, 2 last rated QBs, 1 of which has played 1.5 seasons crack the top ten!

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

I thought of that.  We had no stability at the position so in our entire history, we had MANY QBs.  We arent Dallas where Aikman, White, Staubach, Dom Meridith and Romo can account for decades of history. That being said out of all the sh*tbags that have taken a snap for our team, 2 last rated QBs, 1 of which has played 1.5 seasons crack the top ten!

Because 1 had statistically the best season ever as a Jet... of course he would crack the top 10

1 minute ago, whodeawhodat said:

Just Giants... here is the top 10:

1. Manning

2. Simms

3. Conerly

4. YA Little

5. Collins

6. Danowski

7. Friedman

8. Hostetler

9. Tarkenton

10. Kent Graham

3 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

so it takes 1 good season to crack our all time top ten.  see what i am saying?

The list above... Friedman only played 3 seasons with the Giants and the giants have 40 more years of data as they started in 1925.

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Just Giants... here is the top 10:

1. Manning

2. Simms

3. Conerly

4. YA Little

5. Collins

6. Danowski

7. Friedman

8. Hostetler

9. Tarkenton

10. Kent Graham

So the Giants #8 QB won a SB.  Thanks for proving my point.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Its a ******* bad statistic... it proves or says nothing... 

Dismiss it all you want, when you talk about the history of a team, stats tend to be more reliable.  At least I am not dense enough to live in bahston

I'll go with door #3.  Bring Glennon in as the "bridge" QB.  Now you have 3 young QB's  that have some potential.  Give Macc two more years as GM.   If they keep Bowles make it clear to him that Macc is the boss.

If none of the QB's work out in 2 season's , rinse and repeat.

Sad but it's where the Jets are as a team right now.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

I'll go with door #3.  Bring Glennon in as the "bridge" QB.  Now you have 3 young QB's  that have some potential.  Give Macc two more years as GM.   If they keep Bowles make it clear to him that Macc is the boss.

RG3 or Glennon would be great. not interested in either of 2 of the top 10 ever...

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If they drafted Hack in the 2nd round, he had better be ready to contribute next year. I don't see a Glennon type coming here. They need someone who can start a few games at the beginning of the year and then hand it over to Hack. Sink or swim. They need a Fitz type, an older vet just to get them by. Petty gets another few games this season, maybe he's the guy to start 2017 and if he continues to be what most think he is, give Hack the steering wheel.

53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

why are the jets the only team that drafts qbs but can't play them so they keep bringing in bridge qbs?  how is a bridge qb any better than petty or hack anyway?  they suck by definition.  

This person gets it.

13 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If they drafted Hack in the 2nd round, he had better be ready to contribute next year. I don't see a Glennon type coming here. They need someone who can start a few games at the beginning of the year and then hand it over to Hack. Sink or swim. They need a Fitz type, an older vet just to get them by. Petty gets another few games this season, maybe he's the guy to start 2017 and if he continues to be what most think he is, give Hack the steering wheel.

IMO one of the biggest mistakes Macc has made to present was drafting Hack in the 2nd round.  Again IMO Hack won't be ready for anything next season.  Truly hope I'm wrong, he is a nice kid, with some talent.  Watched a lot of Penn State.  He was awful.  He was again awful in camp.  

Petty I don't know about.  He had great #'s in college, Has shown some improvement from the horrible Senior Bowl week, where he couldn't play under center at all, and caused him to fall to the 4th round, to pre-season last year, and again had shown some improvement in this year's camp.  IMO he played well enough to be the #2.  Think he needs the rest of the season to see if he can play in the NFL, or be gone next year.

Have to say Villain has convinced me that Glennon is worth a look at.  Played fairly well for the Bucs, for one reason or another they weren't sold on him.  Lucked into who I think is going to be an excellent QB in Winston, but thought enough of Glennon to keep him on the roster.  Think there is at least a possibility Glennon could be a good QB.

Jets have to star sorting this mess out now.  I'm good if Petty gets to play the season out, if he shows anything, let him and Glennon compete for starter next year.  If Petty is bad,  Lets see if Glennon can be an NFL starter, or if Hack can make a quantum leap.   

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

Modal Trigger

Let Fitzpatrick walk, Let Geno walk, let Petty play for the rest of the season and if he doesnt show promise...cut him. Sign Glennon in FA'cy, draft Patrick Mahomes in the 2nd round, go into the season with Glennon, Hackenberg, Mahomes. 

Done. 

When and how will the NY Jets fix this situation?  This organization is a mess only Woody Johnson can fix it. Mike Maccagnan signed Ryan Fitzpatrick and drafted Christian Hackenburg that scares me he doesn't get it either. His other draft picks are questionable as well. We need proven winners football minded people in here ASAP the  minute the off season ends the rebuild should start. Clean house Woody Johnson. 

36 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO one of the biggest mistakes Macc has made to present was drafting Hack in the 2nd round.  Again IMO Hack won't be ready for anything next season.  Truly hope I'm wrong, he is a nice kid, with some talent.  Watched a lot of Penn State.  He was awful.  He was again awful in camp.  

Petty I don't know about.  He had great #'s in college, Has shown some improvement from the horrible Senior Bowl week, where he couldn't play under center at all, and caused him to fall to the 4th round, to pre-season last year, and again had shown some improvement in this year's camp.  IMO he played well enough to be the #2.  Think he needs the rest of the season to see if he can play in the NFL, or be gone next year.

Have to say Villain has convinced me that Glennon is worth a look at.  Played fairly well for the Bucs, for one reason or another they weren't sold on him.  Lucked into who I think is going to be an excellent QB in Winston, but thought enough of Glennon to keep him on the roster.  Think there is at least a possibility Glennon could be a good QB.

Jets have to star sorting this mess out now.  I'm good if Petty gets to play the season out, if he shows anything, let him and Glennon compete for starter next year.  If Petty is bad,  Lets see if Glennon can be an NFL starter, or if Hack can make a quantum leap.   

I just don't see Macc bringing in a guy like Glennon to block Hack. He put a lot of eggs into that basket, I think he's going to want to see that string played out.

Total Passing Yards is a very VERY poor metric for determining "best".  

The horror.  In my mind, I'm hoping we stockpile OL in the upcoming draft, have an even worse year next year, new regime in 2018 picks the franchise QB with a top 3 pick.   What's likely to happen is we go 9-7 with Jay Cutler next year.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

RG3 or Glennon would be great. not interested in either of 2 of the top 10 ever...

RG III is as delicate as he is interesting. Would have to have some sort of injury prone laden contract. Glennon would be worth it just to see Villian giggle like a school girl.

Archived