Tebow gets Hess treatment by Belichick

Integrity28

Tebow turned down $1 million endorsement because Bill Belichick told him to

Jim Rogash/Getty Images Sport

Tim Tebow writes in his new book, titled Shaken, that New England Patriotscoach Bill Belichick once talked him out of accepting a $1 million endorsement deal. 

In the book, which was published in October, Tebow recounts how he tried hard to fit in with the team when he joined the Patriots in 2013. After being selected in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft by the Broncos, Tebow had experienced varying degrees of success in the NFL. He signed on with the Patriots in 2013 after being released by the Jets after the 2012 season, and writes in the book that he and Belichick had discussed what he would have to do to succeed on the team.

I remembered when I had signed with the team in June. Then I’d had an offer on the table to make a one-day appearance endorsing a product for a million-dollar paycheck. I’m sure you’d agree that a million bucks is a lot to make in just twenty-four hours. But I wasn’t quick to say yes.

When I came on the team, Coach and I had a long and deep talk. "I want to make you one of the guys," he told me. "This is not going to be a media circus. I'll control it if you do your part. You're part of a team, Timmy. We're in this together.

So when the offer for the one-day commercial turned up, I was sure to discuss the opportunity with him. “I want to know what you think, Coach,” I said. “I respect you and I want to fit in. I want to be one of the guys. Should I do it?”

He thought for a moment and then shook his head. “Timmy, I would really appreciate it if you didn’t.”

Highly respecting the man, I turned down the deal. I didn’t even think twice about it. I wanted the chance to impress Coach Belichick more than I wanted the money. I’ll say that if I were on any other team, I would have probably said yes to the offer. But the thoughts he offered in our initial conversation mattered to me — even more than a million dollars.

Two months later, Tebow again found himself in a conference room with Belichick, only this time Belichick was explaining that he didn't fit with the team, rather than discussing how to make him blend in.

I thought of the endorsement deal I had turned down two months earlier, questioning and maybe even regretting my decision. Was it the wrong choice? If I had said yes, would that have put me in a better situation than where I am right now—sitting in front of two coaches who are firing me without telling me exactly why?

Then, the meeting was over.

Tebow said this week in an interview with Fox & Friends that he does not regret his decision today.

"That’s not something that I look back and regret at all," Tebow said. "It was me trying to honor the team, and if I could do it again, I would’ve done the same thing.”

Tebow has not played in the NFL since he spent the preseason with the Eaglesin 2015 and is now playing baseball in the New York Mets farm system.

Typical Tebow. Accepts a contract knowing the team isn't going to put up with his usual antics then whines that the team expected him to hold up his end of the bargain. Then brags about how he's a team player. Only Tebow fans can read that with a straight face. 

sitting in front of two coaches who are firing me without telling me exactly why?

Definitely not because he was a sh*tty QB for them too...

YncYQt.gif

41 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Typical Tebow. Accepts a contract knowing the team isn't going to put up with his usual antics then whines that the team expected him to hold up his end of the bargain. Then brags about how he's a team player. Only Tebow fans can read that with a straight face. 

YncYQt.gif

How can you get that from this article?

He did the right thing. Belly cut him. Belly is the devil, that is the story here lol.

They showed the fourth preseason game with Tebow up here.  The announcers were all saying how badly Tebow played to that point. Tebow was inserted in the second half.  He started off badly, then he did get hot very late in the game.  When only marginal players were in the there.  That spurt was not enough to save his roster spot.

Belichick is in fact the Devil, of course, but even the Devil deserves his due.  He cut Tebow because he didn't play well enough to make the team.

3 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

YncYQt.gif

si2.png

6 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

YncYQt.gif

Well there's a stretch.  

He sucks, I don't want him on my team but really?  What did he do wrong here, other than show respect to his HCs wishes and trying to fit in.  Gives up an easy mil and what does he get?  Cut.  

I don't see the big deal.  Even Tebow says he would do it the same if it happened over again.  Dude was 3rd string QB, and BB said he'd prefer no distractions.  Props to Tim for buying into the Patriots team concept.  Tim was unfortunately not an NFL caliber QB, and got cut.  Not much else to say.

19 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

YncYQt.gif

While Tebow isn't good enough to play in the NFL, if most players today cared about winning and losing ,and were as competitive as he is the league would have a much better product on hand. 

16 hours ago, Larz said:

it sounds like an infomercial, it's hard to say without knowing what is was

with that said, tebow could start a mega-church and never have to worry about money, don't feel bad for the guy, lol

Not the point. 

It's really about Belichick hanging the "want to make you one of the guys" over his head, so much so that it impedes upon his earnings potential, then cutting him without explaining why... Moral of the story: If you're an NFL player, make money where/when you can, because your career can be 10 years or 10 minutes long, and Bill Belichick is a manipulative, evil piece of sh*t.

35 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Not the point. 

It's really about Belichick hanging the "want to make you one of the guys" over his head, so much so that it impedes upon his earnings potential, then cutting him without explaining why... Moral of the story: If you're an NFL player, make money where/when you can, because your career can be 10 years or 10 minutes long, and Bill Belichick is a manipulative, evil piece of sh*t.

It is the point. He was told the garbage he pulled with other teams to capture the spotlight was not going to fly there. Any team should have had that conversation with him. He wasn't cut without reason. He sucked on the field. Maybe he wasn't a good fit with the team for other reasons as well but you can just look at the preseason games and see that any team would have cut him. 

He was given the choice to be Tebow the center of attention or Tebow the athlete. He chose the athlete and it didn't pay off. Well now he can go back to being the center of attention somewhere else. 

4 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

It is the point. He was told the garbage he pulled with other teams to capture the spotlight was not going to fly there. Any team should have had that conversation with him. He wasn't cut without reason. He sucked on the field. Maybe he wasn't a good fit with the team for other reasons as well but you can just look at the preseason games and see that any team would have cut him. 

He was given the choice to be Tebow the center of attention or Tebow the athlete. He chose the athlete and it didn't pay off. Well now he can go back to being the center of attention somewhere else. 

Just curious, what was the "garbage he pulled" when he was here?

Archived