A man with a plan

LIJetsFan

http://turnonthejets.com/2016/11/toj-pick-six-moves-new-york-jets-need-make-pre-nfl-draft-part-one/#more-34805

As we barrel towards the 6th straight year that the New York Jets miss the playoffs, we turn our eye to the offseason. Kevin had our first look at prospects that the Jets should have their eye on right here, but this week’s Pick Six focuses on 6 moves the team should make before we get there. These are realistic moves, and not Madden-style moves. Let’s take this one back like a Ryan Fitzpatrick throw in Arrowhead:

1. Trade DL Sheldon Richardson to the Dallas Cowboys for a 2nd round pick ($8.09M cap savings)

Trading Muhammed Wilkerson would be the move I would make, PR hit be damned, but no one wanted him when he was coming off a career year so I don’t think anyone bites now coming off a down year and with almost $27M guaranteed left on his deal. Trading Sheldon Richardson now, the second best DL out of the 3 the Jets currently employ, let’s you play Wilkerson/Leonard Williams/Steve McClendon as your starting DL in the base 3-4 the Jets employ. This also nets the Jets a 2nd round pick which gives the Jets 4 of the first 128 picks and 7 picks total in next year’s draft without expected comp picks for Damon Harrison, Chris Ivory, and Demario Davis. The Cowboys need a young game changer up front on defense and the Jets and Cowboys talked trade at the deadline so it’s wouldn’t be surprising to see the Jets revisit talks with Dallas and settle on a second round pick.

2. Cut WR Eric Decker ($8.75M in cap space)

Dealing Decker after the two injuries he’s sustained and with an almost $9M cap hit is going to be borderline impossible. Releasing Decker is the best option even though  I think Decker’s game can age a little better than Brandon Marshall’s going forward. Decker won’t get you the return Marshall will, and he nets you a higher cap savings. I’ve been a Marshall fan since he entered the league and I think he’s been the only real leader on an offensive unit that is devoid of any identity. He has struggled this year in large part because of the QB throwing him the ball. While Ryan Fitzpatrick is throwing interceptions to opposing teams and young guys under the bus, Marshall owns his failures and continues to actually give a damn about every game. In a lot of ways Fitzpatrick, Darrelle Revis, and Wilkerson represent what’s wrong with this team while Marshall, Williams, and Richardson should be the guys you build around. It would be a bad move if the Jets have to get rid of 2 of those guys. Marshall stays and Decker goes, which nets you a $8.75M savings.

3. Sign Bengals LT Andrew Whitworth

The free agent offensive line class doesn’t have much depth, but the best guy available is Bengals LT Andrew Whitworth. He should be Mike Maccagnan’s first call on the first day of free agency. Whitworth has been solid on the Bengals OL and, while not a splashy name, he is a stabilizing force. A team that will need two tackles can’t go in with question marks; better to sign the solid veteran and then take a chance on a underperforming young player like Riley Reiff from Detroit to play RT. Whitworth would also lessen the need for the Jets to reach for an OL prospect like Cam Robinson in the top 10.

4. Release CB Darrelle Revis ($7.3M cap space)

$6M dead cap hit? Watching Revis sign with the Bills? Reopening old wounds? All worth it to be rid of the greatest player to ever wear a Jets uniform after what can only be described as a clinic on how to mail it in this year. To go from a defensive player of the year candidate to not even a dime corner in this defense is astounding. I can point to the concussion sustained against the Texans as a reason for the scared tackling, but he’s been getting beat like a drum by 4th and 5th wideouts with his only good game coming against Larry Fitzgerald. Take that with him refusing to take responsibility for his poor play and, If he doesn’t retire, I’m releasing him and taking the cap savings to take aim at a free agent cornerback to replace him.

5. Resign Geno Smith

This one won’t be popular, but if the Jets are serious about this Christian Hackenberg as the franchise QB, then the Jets will need a bridge to get there. They can go out and sign Jay Cutler, trade for Tony Romo, or resign Fitzpatrick if they really want to go crazy but I think the best bet is to resign Geno Smith to a one year-prove it deal where he competes with Bryce Petty and the aforementioned Hackenberg for the starting job. Smith can get one year to salvage his career, the Jets get some continuity at QB, and Hack doesn’t have to be rushed as he learns a new system. Smith will probably come cheap, but the Jets should face competition for his services from teams like Jacksonville, Denver, and possibly Minnesota so they’d be smart to lock Smith in before he hits the open market.

6. Fire Chan Gailey and hire Norv Turner as Offensive Coordinator

After a great year last year, Old Man Gailey has been downright awful this year both in the red zone and with his curious usage of his most talented players. I think a head coach cannot be afraid to fire underperforming coordinators, and Gailey has underperformed this year. Same goes for Kacy Rodgers, but he seems to be Bowles’ version of Dennis Thurman at this point and probably won’t let go. Norv Turner has been a head coach in this league before, has had a lot of success as a playcaller in this league, and has developed young QBs at almost everywhere he’s been. Hiring Turner also gives you an in-house candidate to turn to in case Bowles sputters next year and you want to make a change. Turner checks off all the boxes and, as we’ve seen with the hire of Wade Phillips, Rod Marinelli, and Jim Schwartz as coordinators sometimes the best move you make is the person you hire to oversee one side of the ball for you.

With these moves (as well as the expected moves like not resigning Fitzpatrick, cutting Marcus Gilchrist, Nick Folk, and Breno Giacomini, and releasing Ryan Clady and the Jets start the offseason like this:

7 confirmed draft picks (3 additional compensatory picks), 10 total picks

$41.5M in cap space (before the Whitworth and Smith contracts)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would the Jets sign a 35 year old Lt in free agency.  ( Whitworth)  how is that improving that position.  That like throwing money down a hole.   

Seriously doubt the Cowboys have the money to trade for Richardson.  ( can't afford his salary after next year).  They might have been willing to trade for him this year( one and half year window) where they let him leave in Fa after that. The Cowboys are that close , and getting that kind of defensive player would have been appealing.( not win one year left now , and Richardson looking for a monster payday). 

Seriously doubt  Geno Smith has any desire to be back with the Jets.  It's time for both parties to go in another direction. The Jets should be able to get a decent stop gap at Qb till they find their franchise Qb. I wouldn't be surprised if Geno Smith ended up in Miami, or with Jaguars.( appealing To him with his Florida roots).

With the Jaguars weapons at Wr , who would you rather behind center Geno Smith or Blake Bortles.

1. okay.  looks like sheldon is going to be gone regardles.  if they can somehow manage to get something all the better.

2. depends on decker's recovery.  he was pretty darn good in 2014 with geno throwing to him.  if he's healthy they should try to keep him.  maybe restructure.

3. okay, they need a left tackle.  every team does.  maybe the guy won't come cheap.

4. something has to be done with darelle.  he might be injured.  is there a way the jets can buy him out?  maybe help him retire?

5. forget it.  i'll be the first to say geno didn't get a real fair chance but the whole ik issue was terrible and he just doesn't make good decisions.

6. it's too easy to blame the oc for what has happened.  the same thing played out with rex and and even herm (remember hackjob?).  last year they did very well this year not so well.  and i hope people aren't forgeting that the defense and offense and special teams are intertwined even if they aren't on the field at the same time.  if the defense can't help the offense get good field position then it makes the job that much harder.

7. i'd add cutting gilchrist, restructuring harris, cutting or restructuring mangold, restructure marshall, cut folk, sign enunwa, sign winters.

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If we resign Geno Smith, I will be very upset about that. And I will write a post explaining just how upset I am.

ONE post?! From your lips to God's ear...

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What is a QB bridge

Something to be sold...while your team struggles to explain why they

1. didn't draft yet ANOTHER 1st-day "franchise" QB while Hackenburg sits.
  2. still have the coaching staff you'll desperately want them to have fired.

Just now, rangerous said:

2. depends on decker's recovery.  he was pretty darn good in 2014 with geno throwing to him.  if he's healthy they should try to keep him.  maybe restructure.

He's played, what, 15 games in three years?!

Sorry, but he really hasn't delivered on the contract.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

more like 30.  he has delivered on his contract because he makes marshall and enunwa that more effective.

Really? He missed about 8 games in 2014 and how many this year?

And, really, he's not indispensable when you have young, cheaper talent.

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Well.....   we haven't really had any offense lately so how do you know?

Well, unlike Gailey, Norv doesn't have a history of elevating the talent he coaches. Gailey does. The reason we don't have any offense is because Gailey is stuck with a weak-armed below average QB in Fitz. I'd like to see what Gailey can do with Geno or a higher draft pick QB over a full offseason.

I don't want Cutler, Romo, etc. 

Thanks for the drop here.

1. Trading SR is not good for the Jets. We would would be stuck with the loafer on the DL. I really comprehend that this may be a necessity due to the contract. I would look at trading McL also as he in not a true NT. Get another draft pick. Jets need to go 4/3 on the DL. A speed rusher is long over due. Maybe the current NT can step up next season and help remove some of the hurt from losing Snacks.

2. I can see this happening too. A player who alienates others in the locker room is just not good. Even does this from the injury list. Also gives some playing time to the younger talent on the team like Smith. Keep BM. Still the best WR on the Jets and teams have to account for him. The old man on Baltimore is still making plays. BM can do it for the Jets.

3. No zombies

4. Has to be cut or retired. Revis has the Aso disease. Fell off of a cliff just like him.

5. I agree. It is not popular, yet it has to be done. Since Geno is injured he will not take many reps from the 2 younger QB's as the fight it out. Will come at a very reasonable cost also. Can make up for th cost of cutting Revis and Futz. Dead money is not free

6. If you keep Geno, you must keep Chan. Hard to justify keeping Geno and then changing the system.

4 minutes ago, elgoman said:

Well, unlike Gailey, Norv doesn't have a history of elevating the talent he coaches. Gailey does. The reason we don't have any offense is because Gailey is stuck with a weak-armed below average QB in Fitz. I'd like to see what Gailey can do with Geno or a higher draft pick QB over a full offseason.

I don't want Cutler, Romo, etc. 

I haven't seen Gailey elevate anything other than my blood pressure this year. 

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I haven't seen Gailey elevate anything other than my blood pressure this year. 

Gailey can only elevate a subpar talent like Fitz so far. But the wizened OC did get Fitz a career year in 2015 and got him re-signed here for another waste of a season. So Gailey knows offense. I'm still a little hesitant about Gailey's lack of TE production but his numbers do speak for themselves. With the right talent at QB, he produces as an OC.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

We have cornered the market on bad QB's. Geno sucks too. Slate needs to be wiped clean at the position entirely.

Sure.  I was just responding to the idea of resigning him.  If that's the plan, then they ****ed up a long time ago.  This season (and I'll still argue last as well) should have been all about validating him.  Bringing him back would be just another long list of stupidity shown by this franchise. 

Archived