My way to early 3 round Jets mock draft

Lupz27

2 things, I think the Jets will win 2 more games maybe even 3 well because that's what they do win when it doesn't matter ending up with the 9th overall pick, and I also think the Jets will trade Sheldon Richardson for a 2nd rounder, most likely a late 2 like from Dallas so there will be 4 picks inside the first 75 guys drafted.

1.9: Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida St.

2.9: Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame.

2.29: Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell.

3.9: Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Texas Tech.

As you can see the theme of this draft is to build a new foundation on offense to go with our young, and up incoming WR's.  Cook is a 3 down game changing back, Nelson is about as solid as it gets inside both against the run, and pass, Davenport has the make up to be a franchise LT, has great athletic ability with a basketball background, and pedigree with Michael Kidd Gilchrist being his cousin.  Then the steal of the 2017 draft, in the mold of Russell Wilson, and Dak Prescott, if you want to see my thoughts on him they go on, and on in the separate thread I created on him.

In reality Nelson, Davenport, and Mahomes will sky rocket up draft boards, and none will be available in the picks I project them in here if I'm correct on their talent , and potential.

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

Nice work! The only change I would make is swapping out another project QB and address CB (which is loaded in this class). 

Mahomes is not a project, don't be fooled like the scouts will be because of the offense he is coming from like Prescott from last year, and this whole draft premise is based on him being the goods.

Screw addresing CB, Bowles is a DC by trade, and the secondary is his specialty, he needs to take the current talent he has, and maybe 1 FA signing, and straighten out that secondary via scheme, and coaching, I'm so sick of having these Defensive minded HC's who end up with like 6 first round picks on their defense while completely neglecting the offensive side of the ball, time to draft offense early, and often for once.  Bowles got Leo, Lee, Mauldin, and Jenkins in the last 2 drafts 4 of the top 6 picks it's time he puts up, or ships out with his D next season.

I'm all for beefing up the offensive line. No qualms there.

A first round running back is a wasted pick. There's plenty of numbers and stats to back that up. Just isn't worth it for a rebuilding team.

Another QB, especially a project from a collegiate offense that is very gimmick oriented and hasn't produced a single QB worth a damn despite massive stats each year, is also not happening. They have two projects already. Maybe you address this in the beginning of an offseason plan but without that context it's hard to fathom the Jets going into 2017 with no proven QB with little to no starts between them. Can't see that happening. As 2016 ends hopefully there will be more clarity at the QB position with more Petty starts. 

17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm all for beefing up the offensive line. No qualms there.

A first round running back is a wasted pick. There's plenty of numbers and stats to back that up. Just isn't worth it for a rebuilding team.

Another QB, especially a project from a collegiate offense that is very gimmick oriented and hasn't produced a single QB worth a damn despite massive stats each year, is also not happening. They have two projects already. Maybe you address this in the beginning of an offseason plan but without that context it's hard to fathom the Jets going into 2017 with no proven QB with little to no starts between them. Can't see that happening. As 2016 ends hopefully there will be more clarity at the QB position with more Petty starts. 

I don't see Petty on the 2017 roster, I'd have the Jets signing Hoyer to compete with the 2 kids in Hack, and Mahomes, and I'd project Mahomes to win the job, I get being skeptical on Mahomes, but I'm telling you forget his offense, and his schools history  kid has the goods.

Yeah, I mean this is a solid mock (at least for the first 3 rounds)- but thats only if your're right about Nelson, Davenport and Mahomes. I'm not sold on those 3 that early in the draft. Mahomes, sure, in the 3rd round. But he probably (as you say) won't be there so late once we near draft day. 

My issue is much like what others have pointed out. 1. I don't think we need to use a 1st rounder on a RB. 2. I don't think we need to draft a QB this year, at least not in the first 3 rounds. And to get Mahomes you would probably need to spend a 2nd rounder.

I would go BPA in the first round (it will most likely be a pass rusher or CB- depending on where we pick). But we can also trade down into the teens and take one of the top 2-3 OT prospects- that would be best case scenario- IMO.

WITH TRADE DOWN- ideal scenario:

Rd. 1: Cam Robinson- OT

Rd. 2: Tim Williams- OLB

Rd. 2 via trade down: Q.Wilson- CB

RD. 2 via Richardson trade: D'Onta Foreman- RB

Rd. 3: Jordan Leggett- TE

I would then continue adding O-line and secondary depth...

10 hours ago, PepPep said:

Yeah, I mean this is a solid mock (at least for the first 3 rounds)- but thats only if your're right about Nelson, Davenport and Mahomes. I'm not sold on those 3 that early in the draft. Mahomes, sure, in the 3rd round. But he probably (as you say) won't be there so late once we near draft day. 

My issue is much like what others have pointed out. 1. I don't think we need to use a 1st rounder on a RB. 2. I don't think we need to draft a QB this year, at least not in the first 3 rounds. And to get Mahomes you would probably need to spend a 2nd rounder.

I would go BPA in the first round (it will most likely be a pass rusher or CB- depending on where we pick). But we can also trade down into the teens and take one of the top 2-3 OT prospects- that would be best case scenario- IMO.

WITH TRADE DOWN- ideal scenario:

Rd. 1: Cam Robinson- OT

Rd. 2: Tim Williams- OLB

Rd. 2 via trade down: Q.Wilson- CB

RD. 2 via Richardson trade: D'Onta Foreman- RB

Rd. 3: Jordan Leggett- TE

I would then continue adding O-line and secondary depth...

I mean if your getting Marshall Faulk, L Tomlinson healthy J Charles type back your not taking him rd 1?  That is the comparisons Cook draws, and I think he will get drafted higher then Fournette when its all said and done.

Mahommes is definitely a project. His footwork is terrible, and his pocket fundamentals are lacking. He doesn't manipulate the pocket, he scrambles and finds receivers on busted coverage. Fairplay for horrible Big 12 defense, but NFL defenses aren't buying it. I'm a fan of the overall tools and package and would definitely want him here, but there's no question that kid needs to sit for half a season minimum. 

15 hours ago, Toua77 said:

Mahommes is definitely a project. His footwork is terrible, and his pocket fundamentals are lacking. He doesn't manipulate the pocket, he scrambles and finds receivers on busted coverage. Fairplay for horrible Big 12 defense, but NFL defenses aren't buying it. I'm a fan of the overall tools and package and would definitely want him here, but there's no question that kid needs to sit for half a season minimum. 

All this was the same knock on Prescott, some guys have that "IT" factor, I thought Dak had "IT" last year before the draft, and predict Mahomes will have "IT" to.

• 2 weeks later...
On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Lupz27 said:

2 things, I think the Jets will win 2 more games maybe even 3 well because that's what they do win when it doesn't matter ending up with the 9th overall pick, and I also think the Jets will trade Sheldon Richardson for a 2nd rounder, most likely a late 2 like from Dallas so there will be 4 picks inside the first 75 guys drafted.

As you can see the theme of this draft is to build a new foundation on offense to go with our young, and up incoming WR's.  Cook is a 3 down game changing back, Nelson is about as solid as it gets inside both against the run, and pass, Davenport has the make up to be a franchise LT, has great athletic ability with a basketball background, and pedigree with Michael Kidd Gilchrist being his cousin.  Then the steal of the 2017 draft, in the mold of Russell Wilson, and Dak Prescott, if you want to see my thoughts on him they go on, and on in the separate thread I created on him.

In reality Nelson, Davenport, and Mahomes will sky rocket up draft boards, and none will be available in the picks I project them in here if I'm correct on their talent , and potential.

This is the opposite of what the Jets usually do,  so it's probably a homerun. 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:55 PM, Lupz27 said:

Using your Scenario, I trade down and add some more picks because I'm rebuilding the OL this yr .

1.15  Ryan Ramczyk  _  OT

2 .9  Aver Gennesy  _  OT

2 29 Jon Toth   _ OC

3. 9  Derek Barnett  _ Edge rusher

There's another 3rd and a 1st in 2018 from the trade down .  I like the pick of Cook, but the player I'm targeting at RB is Wayne Gallman .

Archived