JETS are "giving away" DRAFT picks...

Paradis

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:24 PM, drdetroit said:

Why not? You wanted Phil fired because he didn't multiple hall of gamers in return for Smith and Shumper

That's simply untrue on multiple levels, although he should've received at least draft picks back in those trades.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roberts and Burress 

I thought Burris had only played something like 30 defensive snaps this season. Skrine has played alright. Macc got us Brandon Marshall for a 5th round pick, you can lie to yourself and say that was a bad move but you wouldn't be fooling anyone. Has Macc turned us into a Superbowl contender...no of course not but his two season here he has brought in tons of players looking high and low at positions of need. He has drafted alright but not spectacular. His job is not to get players to play to their potential it is just to get players with potential which he has done well. Macc I honestly think is the best gm we have had in a long long time and maybe one of the better ones in the league.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

On 12/2/2016 at 9:02 AM, Augustiniak said:

the thing about hack that you can't say about most qbs coming out of college is that he successfully ran a true pro offense, as a freshman no less.  so there's justification to believe that with good coaching he can run it again.  with petty you're talking about learning something completely new.  i'd rather see hack as the eventual starter than petty.  his deep ball accuracy and elite arm will completely change the perception and culture of the team.  he'd instantly be the face of the franchise.

i've been giving this whole qb thing more thought.  one theory i have for not going to petty is somewhat based on a seemingly innocent quote by bowles a few weeks ago.  when asked about petty's progress, bowles mentioned that hack isn't far behind.  if this is true, then hack's development has really accelerated this year.  and i'm wondering if mccags and bowles believe (even if they won't admit it and give the media another reason to skewer them if it doesn't run on the promised timetable) that by training camp next year hack will be clearly more ready than petty, and b/c of his elite tools, they do not want to use petty now as a bridge qb to hack b/c it's not the message they want to send to petty or the fan base.  i think the plan is to skip petty and go to hack, and they're just being silent on the whole thing looking like idiots with fitz/geno/petty, just hoping to ride out the season without all the clamoring for petty right now.  the plan is hack, they're all in on him, he is more talented than any qb coming out of this class anyway.  i think mccags swims or sinks with him, and i think the offseason will be dedicated to fixing the o-line and getting a real TE so hack has as much support when he eventually becomes the starter for better or worse sometime in 2017.

I liked this post a lot, reasonably argued.  But if it is the case then the Jets IMO are being a bit short-sighted here.

If Hack is the 'real deal', it doesn't matter what Petty shows or not for the rest of this season.  Betting on Hack, while not getting answers on Petty just adds another layer risk.  If Petty is OK but not great, you can keep him as a viable back-up and competition for Hack next year.  If he sucks, you can then sign a back-up type vet FA QB to compete with Hack.

I just think that ditching Petty at this point is short-sighted...possibly lol.

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is absurd. Just because the Jets are too dumb to use the formula doesn't mean there isn't one.

Seriously. As long as you got the scouts looking at the JUCO/small school guys...the internet aggregates everything to the point of completion prior to the one on one interviews. The speed scores tell most of the story. I know Geno hit all the baseline stuff but once he bombed the whiteboard then you cross him off. It shouldnt be this hard....

Idk, maybe Im underselling it.

42 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Seriously. As long as you got the scouts looking at the JUCO/small school guys...the internet aggregates everything to the point of completion prior to the one on one interviews. The speed scores tell most of the story. I know Geno hit all the baseline stuff but once he bombed the whiteboard then you cross him off. It shouldnt be this hard....

Idk, maybe Im underselling it.

No, that's exactly what's so frustrating: it's never been easier to scout the most important positions from your couch. For QBs, you use Lewin/QBASE; for pass rushers, you use broad jump and 3-cone; for WRs you use target percentage. Meanwhile the Jets think scouting means putting a bunch of chaw-chomping old guys in a room and having them rate stuff like "Release" and "Swim Move" on a 10-point scale.

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

No, that's exactly what's so frustrating: it's never been easier to scout the most important positions from your couch. For QBs, you use Lewin/QBASE; for pass rushers, you use broad jump and 3-cone; for WRs you use target percentage. Meanwhile the Jets think scouting means putting a bunch of chaw-chomping old guys in a room and having them rate stuff like "Release" and "Swim Move" on a 10-point scale.

A corner locking down a 4.7 receiver shouldnt count for anything regardless of "technique." See Justin Burris.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:10 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's the problem. You don't take a guy like that in the 2nd round. Period. You take fliers on those guys in round 4 and beyond. It's a failure if he doesn't see the field in 2017. 

Aaron Rodgers was taken in first round with the 20th pick or so.  He sat for 2-3 years I believe at least. He'll be in the Hall of Fame.  Problem with rushing these qb's who just don't display a readiness to play right away is if you force it, then they just lose all confidence and start to develop even worse habits than those they were trying to remedy.  Rush Hack and he'll be like Humpty Dumpty.  This kid needs as much time as is humanly possible, minimum 2, preferably 3.       

6 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Aaron Rodgers was taken in first round with the 20th pick or so.  He sat for 2-3 years I believe at least. He'll be in the Hall of Fame.  Problem with rushing these qb's who just don't display a readiness to play right away is if you force it, then they just lose all confidence and start to develop even worse habits than those they were trying to remedy.  Rush Hack and he'll be like Humpty Dumpty.  This kid needs as much time as is humanly possible, minimum 2, preferably 3.       

I agree that hack has to sit if that's how the front office feels and I am glad they are not caving to public pressure and carrying out there plan,but who knows if Aaron Rodgers sits that long if Brett favre isn't in front of him, OTOH who knows if Rodgers is as good if he doesn't sit those couple years.

Basically contradicted myself mid thought lol

Guess you never know, gotta like that the front office is sticking to there plan

7 hours ago, Powpow said:

So should we compare Rodgers in college and Hack in college? If he needs that long then you can get someone like him in the fourth round. 

On 12/2/2016 at 6:04 PM, Dcat said:

this is spot on.  I too dont understand why Bowles has no one on his staff devoted to working on Hackenbergs mechanics all season long.  WTF?  For some reason they have to wait untill after the season?   WTF_F_F?!  Sounds like very poor management.  

this i don't understand.  is there some rule in the cba against personalized training?  woody has deep pockets and there is no reason why hack and or petty couldn't get specia;ized training.

On 12/2/2016 at 2:29 PM, joewilly12 said:

Let me repeat with the easiest schedule in the NFL. 

that whole schedule thing is just so much bs.  this season the jets should be 5-6 or 6-5 without much additional effort on the team's part.  they aren't because the ball bounces the wrong way or an official blows the call or any number of issues that crop up.  there is too much parity in this league.  there are some doormats like cleveland and sf but they are suffering through new coaches as well as not having a reliable qb.

Archived