Belichick's hatred of the Jets will keep us from landing the perfect QB

joewilly12

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Let's not pretend like backup New England QBs have had any semblance of success anywhere besides under Belichick. There's no guarantee that his guy plays well anywhere else. Especially here. 

Which actually applies to ANY QB.

There's no guarantee. period.

And especially here.

so all those guys you fall in love with, forget them! So, GM, build your team and stick with the guys you thought were good when you drafted them.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he's making a trade, maybe he just trades 40 year old Brady in 2017 after getting him for only $1M in 2016. 

Or how about (if he's really worth a damn) just keeping both for 2017, and Garoppolo is the QB in 2018 when Brady will be 41?

In the meantime as the #2 he's insurance against a Brady injury or slowdown, should either come to pass in '17. Only reason BB should give that up, even for a 1st rounder, is if he didn't believe JG was the goods after watching him up close for 3 years.

Part two is, if the Jets really wanted him, offer compensation to a 3rd team to trade for him, essentially making a 3-way-deal without Belichick's consent.  You'd pay a bit of a broker's fee, but if this QB is what QB Guru Manish Mehta says he is, it wouldn't be that difficult to get it done.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

What is everyone's fascination with a mediocre QB that could never win the starting job.

He was rookie 3rd round pick that played well when he had a chance. I am not going to repost his stat line as it has been posted numerous times, but his numbers were impressive. He is a better option than most free agents and he is still young. I watched him play live twice and numerous times on TV and the negatives that we're written about him he seemed to have corrected. He moved well in the pocket and avoided the rush stepping up in the pocket and completing his passes. Unless we plan on drafting a QB in the first round he is my and several posters on this board first choice for a free agent QB. Who is your choice at QB for 2017?

35 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

He was rookie 3rd round pick that played well when he had a chance. I am not going to repost his stat line as it has been posted numerous times, but his numbers were impressive. He is a better option than most free agents and he is still young. I watched him play live twice and numerous times on TV and the negatives that we're written about him he seemed to have corrected. He moved well in the pocket and avoided the rush stepping up in the pocket and completing his passes. Unless we plan on drafting a QB in the first round he is my and several posters on this board first choice for a free agent QB. Who is your choice at QB for 2017?

I don't think Garropolo is another Cassell or Mallett I actually think he can be a good qb in the NFL.  I think barring Brady suffering an injury rest of this season Belichick will trade him this offseason because GM's know Garropolo is real and will offer a first round pick + more.  Garropolo probably ends up with the Bears my guess.

Pats also have Brisett who himself didn't look bad in game action.  Amazing how both pats backup qbs are better than any of the 4 on our roster.

49 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Are they better or is the team more cohesive, which makes them look better?

Yeah I am pretty sure I would look decent in that system and I probably can't throw a football 30 yards anymore. 

16 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Wadeasegund....

Brady will be 40 next August and Beliache thinks Jimmy Crapola is just as good, so Beliache wants to trade Crapola away???

And a newspaper actually publishes this Womanish horsecrap

I would say that Tom Brady better start getting to practice or BB might think he is slipping. Why trade a 25 yr old you think is going to be good when Brady will turn 40 soon and even he cannot defy Father Time. He may go another year or two but then the decline will start. Brady is more likely to go than Garropolo IMO.

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Brady is that system, BB was a complete failure pre-Brady

He went 11-5 without Brady too. Maybe the whole team began peaking the year Brady took over? Also in Cleveland he was on the verge of success when they announced the team was moving.

9 minutes ago, RSJ said:

He went 11-5 without Brady too. Maybe the whole team began peaking the year Brady took over? Also in Cleveland he was on the verge of success when they announced the team was moving.

10-5 the year w/o Brady a year after going 16-0 against a much weaker sched while missing the playoffs.  if we finish 5-11 we will have lost 5 more games than a year ago.  do you think that is a big difference?

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Really dude?????????  

I posted the news story did I offer my opinion or say I agreed with the article. 

Peace out yea right...............

But you actually read that dreck horse sh*t? Really?

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

10-5 the year w/o Brady a year after going 16-0 against a much weaker sched while missing the playoffs.  if we finish 5-11 we will have lost 5 more games than a year ago.  do you think that is a big difference?

Keep telling yourself it's Brady and not BB. Make sure you come back when Brady leaves and BB is still going to super bowls. Like he did with the Giant, Patriots the first time and would have with the Brown if they didnt announce the move. BB is a winner and the Jets never should have let him leave the building.

Tom Brady is going to be 40 next August.He will not play forever. He has already made a ton of money, and the ad income won't stop any time soon. Does it occur to Mehta in yet another imbecilic invented nonstory (which is really all he writes these days) that perhaps 1. Brady or any such old QB is close to the end and 2. the Pats  would like to hang on to Garrapolo? 

Keep telling yourself it's Brady and not BB. Make sure you come back when Brady leaves and BB is still going to super bowls. Like he did with the Giant, Patriots the first time and would have with the Brown if they didnt announce the move. BB is a winner and the Jets never should have let him leave the building.

Nice tale with little or no truth

He was an assistant to Parcells with the Giants and Pats (first time) and never won crap as a HC with the Browns and with the Pats first season. Second season he was losing again and sticking with Bedsores until Patriot all time MVP Mo Lewis saved his stupid mumbling ass by forcing him to play that 6th round pick from Michigan he had buried on the bench.

Just now, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Nice tale with little or no truth

He was an assistant to Parcells with the Giants and Pats (first time) and never won crap as a HC with the Browns and with the Pats first season. Second season he was losing again and sticking with Bedsores until Patriot all time MVP Mo Lewis saved his stupid mumbling ass by forcing him to play that 6th round pick from Michigan he had buried on the bench.

If you don't think Belichick is one of the greatest coaches of this generation, I can't help you.

I do think Garrop is a legitimate starting level qb.  He has a ridiculously quick release and he has excellent accuracy.  Good arm, good feet, good athlete.  I watched him do some pretty advanced things like looking of safeties and his pocket presence is much better than it was earlier in his career.  I'd definitely take him over Glennon.

Hes still got a ways to go compared to the elites in decision making and reading defenses, and no one knows how his body will take the punishment, but that knowledge comes with reps..

I suspect NE won't let him walk, and if they do it would require a lot more than a round one draft pick.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:54 PM, RSJ said:

that was an exceptional team and didn't need cassel to do much.  i know there are two sides to the whole brady/bellichicken argument.  if the history of the nfl is any indication just about every successful coach has had an equally successful qb.  weeb will forever be linked to namath, noll to bradshaw, shula to griese, mccarthy to rogers, and so on.  there are exceptions.  joe gibbs won three times with good qb's.  gruden won with a qb who was a step above journeyman as did parcells with hostetler.

On 12/1/2016 at 5:44 PM, joewilly12 said:

Bill Belichick’s hatred of the Jets will keep Gang Green from having a shot at landing the perfect QB 

Jimmy Garoppolo showed in his limited action that he has a big future for some lucky NFL team.

Jimmy Garoppolo showed in his limited action that he has a big future for some lucky NFL team.

(MADDIE MEYER/GETTY IMAGES)

He is the answer to an age-old problem for a star-crossed franchise searching for a quarterback like the Holy Grail. He is the perfect signal caller at the perfect time for an imperfect team.

He will also never be a New York Jet.

Bill Belichick practically pitched a For Sale sign at a recent press conference: Jimmy Garoppolo can be had for the right price ... unless you’re the one team that he despises above all others.

Belichick is willing to part with his winning lottery ticket to anyone except the organization that tried to sully his reputation (among other things) through the years.

How Todd Bowles is obstructing Jets' path to future QB success

The Patriots backup quarterback should attract plenty of attention this offseason from teams armed with draft capital.

Garoppolo would be an elixir for the Jets, whose quarterback quandary is their biggest obstacle. He would be the perfect quarterback for Chan Gailey after three years of tutelage from the greatest quarterback and head coach in NFL history. Garoppolo has showed flashes of brilliance transitioning from a college spread system to one of the most prolific pro-style schemes in the past 15 years.

It’s too painful for the Jets brain trust to imagine what the 25-year-old signal caller might be in green-and-white. Garoppolo, whose unofficial ceiling reaches the moon, will likely be moved elsewhere this spring.

The Cleveland Browns, owners of two first-round picks in the upcoming draft, make the most sense given their quarterback woes. The re-building team, which made a deal with New England for linebacker Jaime Collins a month ago, is the ideal trading partner. Cleveland could part ways with the Eagles’ first-round pick in 2017 (acquired during Philly’s move to get Carson Wentz) to land their franchise quarterback. Landing the No. 1 overall pick and Garoppolo would be a boon for head coach Hue Jackson.

Sunday Morning QB: Jets' never-ending search for a franchise QB

Bill Belichick will be shopping Jimmy Garoppolo to all available suitors ... except one.

Bill Belichick will be shopping Jimmy Garoppolo to all available suitors ... except one.

(MICHAEL REAVES/GETTY IMAGES)

Garoppolo’s value is enhanced by an uninspiring 2017 quarterback draft class that will likely include Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer, North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky and Clemson’s DeShaun Watson.

The free-agent market will be flooded, but Kirk Cousins is the only one worth considering if you’re willing to pony up a $100 million deal. The rest of the note-worthy veterans likely to be available: Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, Mike Glennon, Colin Kaepernick, Sam Bradford.

At a time when the Jets have held off on handing over the reins to Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg, despite being out of the playoff picture with five games left, Garoppolo would have been a godsend.

Belichick isn’t averse to trading a quarterback within his division. He dealt a 30-year-old Drew Bledsoe to the Bills in 2002 for a 2003 first-round pick, but there’s no chance he would move Garropolo to the Jets unless he didn’t think he was very good. All indications, however, are that Brady’s understudy has the makings to be a difference maker.

Dak Prescott's rise as Cowboys QB shows Jets what might have been

When asked two weeks ago about Brady’s dependability in practice each week, Belichick strategically injected the backup into his answer.

“We have a good quarterback in Jimmy, and Jimmy can go out there and run everything that Tom can,” Belichick said. “We’ve seen that. I’m not saying that he’s not capable or qualified to do it. He is, and he does a great job of it.”

“When we put Jimmy in there it’s really seamless,” Belichick continued. “Unless you were actually looking at the position, if you just could block out that position and say which guy was in there at quarterback, I don’t know if you would know a lot of times.”

Bill Belichick is telling folks it's hard to tell the difference between Tom Brady and Jimmy Garoppolo (l.).

Bill Belichick is telling folks it's hard to tell the difference between Tom Brady and Jimmy Garoppolo (l.).

(BILL KOSTROUN/AP)

It was Belichick’s way of letting the rest of the league know that Garoppolo will be available.

Follow the Daily News Sports on Facebook. "Like" us here.

Garoppolo threw four touchdowns (with no turnovers) and completed 71.2 percent of his passes to win both of his starts during Brady’s Deflategate suspension. He threw for 232 yards and three touchdowns with a 135.4 passer rating in just 25 minutes before suffering a shoulder injury against the Dolphins in Week 2.

He’s the best option for quarterback-needy teams.

Garoppolo is expendable because Brady is an age-defying force that has shown no tangible signs of decline at 39. Garoppolo will be in a contract year in 2017, making it the ideal time for the Patriots to move him. Rookie quarterback Jacoby Brissett’s return to practice this week after being on placed on I.R. in October (thumb surgery) is another indication that Belichick will be looking to move Garoppolo in the offseason.

Garoppolo will make $820,000 next season. His new team could place the franchise tag on him for 2018 to delay a long-term financial commitment.

If Garoppolo were on any other team, the Jets would have had a realistic shot at finally finding the answer to their five-decade long prayers. The organization has had a mind-blowing 29 quarterbacks start a game since Joe Namath took his last snap for it in 1976.

The 30th time could have been a charm.

Alas, the man who holds the cards would never give the Jets the one thing that has held them back all these years.

Tweet

It is simply called "Patriots Derangement Syndrome." Better karma equals better team and better fans !

On 12/2/2016 at 1:28 PM, Ex-Rex said:

I would say that Tom Brady better start getting to practice or BB might think he is slipping. Why trade a 25 yr old you think is going to be good when Brady will turn 40 soon and even he cannot defy Father Time. He may go another year or two but then the decline will start. Brady is more likely to go than Garropolo IMO.

Does the answer 201 wins as a starting quarterback answer your query?

On 12/2/2016 at 10:30 AM, jamesr said:

Well, he's never thrown more INTs than he has TDs, unlike a certain starter we have ... 

So he is better then what we have... is that the criteria? That's disgusting... every qb in the league then fits the bill

On 12/2/2016 at 6:02 PM, RSJ said:

Huh? When did he lead the Giants and Patriots to SBs as HC w/o Brady?

Look at his record w/ and w/o Brady.  It’s pretty clear.  Brady rescued that franchise and BB’s HC career.  That doesn’t mean he’s not a great HC, he has developed into one but he never gets that chance if Brady doesn’t save him.

No one thought BB was a winner until he got Brady which was why the Jets didn’t fight to keep him and everyone bashed BB for the move and though the Jets made out.

On the “Browns announcing the move” thing:

Modell made the announcement on November 6th or 7th, just a day or 2 after Cleveland lost to Houston 37-10 to fall to 4-5.  Could they have gone on a run? Sure but this notion that the announcement of the move sabotaged a would be great season was 100% false.  They were not a good team up until that point.  They had lost 4 of 5 culminating w/ that destruction be a mediocre Oiler team.

He won't trade him within the division and certainly not to Woody Johnson who he loathes for not letting him out his contract in 2000. The only reason BB traded Bledsoe to Buffalo was because they were the only team willing to give up that asking price.

There will be plenty non-division teams looking to trade a lot for Garropollo. I can see New Orleans making a play for him. They need a plan post-Brees. 

Arizona (they saw first hand what Garropollo can do), Washington (if they cant agree on a deal with Cousins), Texans, Bears, 49ers, sigh....

I wanted us to draft him so badly. But what would it have mattered anyway, being brought up by Rex? 

Archived