Chan Gailey on Jets' Bryce Petty: 'It Helps to Play in Games'

Ken Schroy

Chan Gailey on Jets' Bryce Petty: 'It helps to play in games'

New York Jets practice before Colts game
New York Jets quarterback Bryce Petty (9) kicks a giant medicine ball during practice as the Jets prepare to face the Indianapolis Colts on Monday Night Football.

By Connor Hughes

FLORHAM PARK -- It doesn't look like Jets' coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey see eye-to-eye on the best way to develop backup quarterback Bryce Petty. Ask Bowles, as he said via conference call Monday, and he'll tell you practice is just about all you need to get an accurate assessment of a player's ability. But Gailey? Well, Gailey believes players need repetitions. Game repetitions, that is. "[Petty] needs all of the work he can get," Gailey said Thursday. "Just like every young player needs all of the work they can get. It helps to play in games."

The Ryan Fitzpatrick - Bryce Petty quarterback topic has been the source of bar arguments the better part of a month. Fitzpatrick -- the NFL's worst statistical passer -- may give the Jets the best chance to win this year, but at 3-8, many want the Jets to turn their attention to the future. And unlike Fitzpatrick, Petty will be back with the Jets in 2017, competing to be the starter. The issue? No one quite knows what kind of a quarterback Petty is. If the Jets started him these final five games, it would give the team a month of film to evaluate. That's more than enough to get a reliable assessment of Petty's ability to be, or not be, a starting NFL quarterback. Best case? Petty cements himself. Worst case? The Jets realize they need to sign a veteran in free agency. It's a win-win situation either way. Fact will replace uncertainty. And while Bowles said you "don't have to play a person to see what they have," Gailey said it certainly helps. "It's like being able to evaluate somebody with 75 to 80 percent probability," Gailey said, "Or being able to evaluate somebody with 90 to 95 percent probability. "The probability in games, you've got a lot better idea of what's going to happen. In practice, you only have about a 75 percent probability of how they're going to be, how they're to play, and how they're going to progress." Drafted in the fourth round a year ago, Petty has been the Jets' developmental project. He (essentially) redshirted as a rookie, played well in the preseason this year, and started one game for an injured Fitzpatrick two weeks ago. He completed 19 of 32 passes for 163 yards with a touchdown and an interception in a 9-6 loss to the Rams. There were plays he looked good. And plays he looked bad. Early assessment? Petty's a young quarterback who needs more time to make mistakes, learn from said mistakes, mature and grow. "We learned some things that we felt were his strong suits, and some things that we felt like he needed to work on," Gailey said. "Every time someone plays, you evaluate them. You learn something about them. You can go from there to try to help them get better." The question now is when, or rather if, Petty will see the field again. Bowles seems dead set on fielding the best team possible, future be damned.

Which means there's a very real chance Fitzpatrick finishes out this season as the Jets' starter.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ljr said:

Certainly a black mark against Bowles that his OC is not towing the company line or shutting the F up ... Regardless of who you want to be the starting QB

Yes, Bowles can't be happy about this. Life in the NFL on a sinking ship?

7 minutes ago, ljr said:

Certainly a black mark against Bowles that his OC is not towing the company line or shutting the F up ... Regardless of who you want to be the starting QB

even though gailey has had success with fitz, don't you think he wants the strong armed qbs to run more of the sexier plays that he can't do with fitz?  gailey's taken his share of criticism this season as well and he's got to be sick of not being able to work with guys who have true nfl measurables.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

even though gailey has had success with fitz, don't you think he wants the strong armed qbs to run more of the sexier plays that he can't do with fitz?  gailey's taken his share of criticism this season as well and he's got to be sick of not being able to work with guys who have true nfl measurables.

He def wants to see Petty now ... As he stated ... Regardless of his reason

8 minutes ago, ljr said:

He def wants to see Petty now ... As he stated ... Regardless of his reason

Whenever Bowles addresses the media about the QB's, he says things like, "WE as a coaching staff, analyzed, and discussed the  situation, and feel WE would be better off right now going with Fitz.

How much of Gailey is part of the WE?

1 minute ago, Happy Clouds said:

Whenever Bowles addresses the media about the QB's, he says things like, "WE as a coaching staff, analyzed, and discussed the  situation, and feel WE would be better off right now going with Fitz.

How much of Gailey is part of the WE?

Obviously "we" is not really we.

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Also, Gailey knows Fitz probably won't be back next year.   Don't you think he'd rather go into the season with someone who has played more than 1 NFL game in his system?

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Also, Gailey knows Fitz probably won't be back next year.   Don't you think he'd rather go into the season with someone who has played more than 1 NFL game in his system?

Gailey might also be trying to save his own a** in case he's out of a job next year.  Which shows even more chaos within this coaching staff...May be a reach but something to think about it.

1 minute ago, drsamuel84 said:

Gailey might also be trying to save his own a** in case he's out of a job next year.  Which shows even more chaos within this coaching staff...May be a reach but something to think about it.

Or, if he's back next year, they have no QB, and his offense winds up being ranked 30th.  Which happens when you have no QB.  They he's done after next year.

Just now, drsamuel84 said:

both good points.  and here's more evidence that bowles probably wouldn't 'lose the lockerroom' if he benched fitz.  increasingly, i think bowles is fearful of the reactions of a few offensive players, the same ones who lobbied to bring fitz back.  bowles has hitched his wagon to mangold/decker/brandon marshall, 3 guys who will not be on the team 2 years from now anyway.  just goes to show you how short-sighted bowles seems to be.

Just some random thoughts.

This whole thing is so Jets like. 

We carry 4 QBs and two according to the HC can't play.  

HC gets to decide what he thinks is right no doubt and he can see what he thinks is ok in practice but he doesn't get to choose his own facts.  

QBs have to play in games to see what they got. Practice reps are not the same as game reps and anyone who has played in competitive sports at any level knows this. 

If Petty is good enough to keep on the team then he is good enough to see if he will be a competent back up next year. I didn't say starter I said back-up. 

The Jets don't even know if Petty is good enough to be the 2nd string back up right now.  

In truth the only thing that would make any sense and which I didn't think of is that they are holding Petty out because he is not ready to lead this team with these weak complimentary pieces around him. Such as the weak OL and running game. 

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

both good points.  and here's more evidence that bowles probably wouldn't 'lose the lockerroom' if he benched fitz.  increasingly, i think bowles is fearful of the reactions of a few offensive players, the same ones who lobbied to bring fitz back.  bowles has hitched his wagon to mangold/decker/brandon marshall, 3 guys who will not be on the team 2 years from now anyway.  just goes to show you how short-sighted bowles seems to be.

That's BS IMHO. Bowles has tied himself to Mangold, Decker and Marshall??? and b/c of that, and their preference for a vet QB- specifically Fitz, is why he won't start Petty???

That's way off the mark IMO. Bowles is an old school coach. He has more faith in veterans, especially at the QB position than rookies or young players who have barely played. Until they are mathematically out of contention, the season is not over if you are a coach or a player. Especially an old school coach like Bowles. And even then, you do whatever it tales to win games, to play spoiler. That's how Bowles thinks, and frankly, there is nothing wrong with that. A a fan or jets brass, you know Fitz is not coming back, you know the season is done NOW and you want to see what you have in Petty and Hack. Thats the disconnect. You don't WANT a coach who 'gives up' before the team is mathematically our of contention. But right now, for the future of the Franchise, that is what needs to be done. Bowles simply needs to go against his gut and start Petty. And I doubt he will do that. He probably needs a nudge from Jets brass. 

My only beef with Bowles, and its maddening, is that he refuses to accept the fact that Petty may not be a better option that Fitz, but he's not much worse. Fitz has played awful this year and just based off that, you should give Petty the reigns.  

PepPep

It seems like you somewhat contradicted yourself.

Your last paragraph seems in complete contradiction with your second paragraph. Fitzpatrick is not bad, he's THE WORST!! And he's been that more the majority of the season. Not only is he THE WORST, he is really not physically talented. So, even at his 'best', like, say, last Sunday, he's not good enough. I don't believe Bryce Petty has the experience that Fitzpatrick has. But all that experience really hasn't translated to good play on the field, not this year anyway.

I think the Jets would have a better chance at winning, now and in the future, if they let go of what isn't working. And they definitely would have a better shot at winning if they had a QB who could attack defenses consistently at ALL levels. Fitzpatrick can't do that and this reliance on 12-play drives to score is just not going to be successful ENOUGH at this level, with the players the Jets have.

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

That's BS IMHO. Bowles has tied himself to Mangold, Decker and Marshall??? and b/c of that, and their preference for a vet QB- specifically Fitz, is why he won't start Petty???

That's way off the mark IMO. Bowles is an old school coach. He has more faith in veterans, especially at the QB position than rookies or young players who have barely played. Until they are mathematically out of contention, the season is not over if you are a coach or a player. Especially an old school coach like Bowles. And even then, you do whatever it tales to win games, to play spoiler. That's how Bowles thinks, and frankly, there is nothing wrong with that. A a fan or jets brass, you know Fitz is not coming back, you know the season is done NOW and you want to see what you have in Petty and Hack. Thats the disconnect. You don't WANT a coach who 'gives up' before the team is mathematically our of contention. But right now, for the future of the Franchise, that is what needs to be done. Bowles simply needs to go against his gut and start Petty. And I doubt he will do that. He probably needs a nudge from Jets brass. 

My only beef with Bowles, and its maddening, is that he refuses to accept the fact that Petty may not be a better option that Fitz, but he's not much worse. Fitz has played awful this year and just based off that, you should give Petty the reigns.  

bowles would rather please the vets than admit the season is a fail and go with petty.  it's shortsighted and stubborn.  it's as if he is not on board with a true rebuild, even though he's only in his 2nd year and the team has no idea what they have in 2 young qbs.  his agenda is increasingly clear - please the vets and win enough games to justify not getting canned.  neither objective helps the franchise in the long-run, it's completely self-serving (which i get) but as a fan it just sucks.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

In truth the only thing that would make any sense and which I didn't think of is that they are holding Petty out because he is not ready to lead this team with these weak complimentary pieces around him. Such as the weak OL and running game. 

I actually don't think these are that weak. The O-line has held up pretty well in pass protection as of late and the run game, although not great, has been decent. Especially considering Mangold is out, Clady is out, and Qvale is out. Forte is a versatile back and still has some left in the tank. I like him as a starter next year for the Jets. Powell brings a nice change of pace. He runs hard, can block and always seems to get positive yardage.

So yes, the Jets need to continue building the O-line through the draft. But I really don't think Petty being benched has anything to do with the O-line. He has Marshall, Enunwa and young talented receivers in Anderson, Marshall, D.Smith and Peake. Forte is a solid receiver as well. Breno, Johnson, Ijalana, Winters and Carpenter have been solid up front. Not great. But solid.   

Just now, PepPep said:

I actually don't think these are that weak. The O-line has held up pretty well in pass protection as of late and the run game, although not great, has been decent. Especially considering Mangold is out, Clady is out, and Qvale is out. Forte is a versatile back and still has some left in the tank. I like him as a starter next year for the Jets. Powell brings a nice change of pace. He runs hard, can block and always seems to get positive yardage.

So yes, the Jets need to continue building the O-line through the draft. But I really don't think Petty being benched has anything to do with the O-line. He has Marshall, Enunwa and young talented receivers in Anderson, Marshall, D.Smith and Peake. Forte is a solid receiver as well. Breno, Johnson, Ijalana, Winters and Carpenter have been solid up front. Not great. But solid.   

the run game has been fine w/o mangold.  

6 minutes ago, phill1c said:

PepPep

It seems like you somewhat contradicted yourself.

Your last paragraph seems in complete contradiction with your second paragraph. Fitzpatrick is not bad, he's THE WORST!! And he's been that more the majority of the season. Not only is he THE WORST, he is really not physically talented. So, even at his 'best', like, say, last Sunday, he's not good enough. I don't believe Bryce Petty has the experience that Fitzpatrick has. But all that experience really hasn't translated to good play on the field, not this year anyway.

I think the Jets would have a better chance at winning, now and in the future, if they let go of what isn't working. And they definitely would have a better shot at winning if they had a QB who could attack defenses consistently at ALL levels. Fitzpatrick can't do that and this reliance on 12-play drives to score is just not going to be successful ENOUGH at this level, with the players the Jets have.

Not sure which post you are ref. to but my point was that despite Fitz being awful, Bowles is a hardliner when it comes to starting a veteran over a rookie or a young player who has barely played. So even though Petty may be on par with Fitz or even better (who knows since Petty barely played), Bowles will always go with the vet, especially one that had a career year last year and won 10 games.

And I was trying to point out that there is nothing wrong with a coach always having a win at all cost mentality. The problem is his inability to admit that despite Fitz's great play last year, Pettys unknown factor, what has to be done for the good of the Franchise is to start Petty.     

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

bowles would rather please the vets than admit the season is a fail and go with petty.  it's shortsighted and stubborn.  it's as if he is not on board with a true rebuild, even though he's only in his 2nd year and the team has no idea what they have in 2 young qbs.  his agenda is increasingly clear - please the vets and win enough games to justify not getting canned.  neither objective helps the franchise in the long-run, it's completely self-serving (which i get) but as a fan it just sucks.

Yes, Bowles is being stubborn and short-sighted right now. Which is, in part, what makes him an 'old school' coach- for better or worse. 

But

1. I don't believe the Jets need to go through a 'true rebuild'. Not with the young talent they have on the D-line, at WR, and even in the LB corps. Not with a legit RB (and yes, I think Forte still has plenty in the tank), a playmaker at the split end position (and yes, thats what Enunwa is), and backups on the O-line that have proven they can hold their own. Like so many other teams around the league, the one thing the Jets lack is a QB. They have two young ones with some promise. It was also a revelation this season that the secondary needs an overhaul- in large part b/c of Revis falling off a cliff. But IMO- that does not merit a complete rebuild. The Jets can part with a number of overpaid, aging, under-performing vets, bring in a few key FA's and if they get at all lucky with their young QB development, they should be able to compete for the playoffs next year. Call me crazy but I truly believe that. Having a very high draft spot will help. Especially in turning around the secondary and bringing in young talent on the O-line.     

2. I don't believe Bowles is trying to 'please the vets and win enough games to justify not getting canned'. I just don't believe that is the way Bowles thinks. He is simply trying to win every game he can and happens to have a coaching philosophy (like a lot of other coaches) where you start veterans over youngsters if their performance is at all close. So I don't see him as being self-serving or making decisions based off 'saving his job'. Now, you can argue that Fitz's performance is so bad that Petty should start anyway. But obviously Bowles doesn't seem to think so. As a fan, it's maddening, but its not THAT surprising considering the way Fitz played last year and the way he is able to control the offense and bring veteran leadership.   

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

He is simply trying to win every game he can and happens to have a coaching philosophy (like a lot of other coaches) where you start veterans over youngsters if their performance is at all close.

Is it even close?

anyway, old school defensive coaches in an era of high scoring offenses.

Yeah, that's going to work!!

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yes, Bowles is being stubborn and short-sighted right now. Which is, in part, what makes him an 'old school' coach- for better or worse. 

But

1. I don't believe the Jets need to go through a 'true rebuild'. Not with the young talent they have on the D-line, at WR, and even in the LB corps. Not with a legit RB (and yes, I think Forte still has plenty in the tank), a playmaker at the split end position (and yes, thats what Enunwa is), and backups on the O-line that have proven they can hold their own. Like so many other teams around the league, the one thing the Jets lack is a QB. They have two young ones with some promise. It was also a revelation this season that the secondary needs an overhaul- in large part b/c of Revis falling off a cliff. But IMO- that does not merit a complete rebuild. The Jets can part with a number of overpaid, aging, under-performing vets, bring in a few key FA's and if they get at all lucky with their young QB development, they should be able to compete for the playoffs next year. Call me crazy but I truly believe that. Having a very high draft spot will help. Especially in turning around the secondary and bringing in young talent on the O-line.     

2. I don't believe Bowles is trying to 'please the vets and win enough games to justify not getting canned'. I just don't believe that is the way Bowles thinks. He is simply trying to win every game he can and happens to have a coaching philosophy (like a lot of other coaches) where you start veterans over youngsters if their performance is at all close. So I don't see him as being self-serving or making decisions based off 'saving his job'. Now, you can argue that Fitz's performance is so bad that Petty should start anyway. But obviously Bowles doesn't seem to think so. As a fan, it's maddening, but its not THAT surprising considering the way Fitz played last year and the way he is able to control the offense and bring veteran leadership.   

they're in rebuild until they find a qb.  by not playing petty all he's doing is pushing back an inevitable rebuild where there will be an inevitable transition not only at qb but in the locker room where guys like mangold/fitz/revis/harris/decker/marshall are no longer the leaders of the locker room.  the team stunk when bowles arrived, they got a bit lucky last year and somehow some of the players as well as bowles thought they could bypass a truly-needed rebuild and skip to becoming a playoff contender while grooming qbs who would eventually step into a great situation.  now that this has not materialized, bowles and perhaps others in the organization refuse to acknowledge they actually do need a real rebuild, they need to audition the qbs and they need to get out the stink in the lockerroom.  i'm tired of coaches who cow tow to the vets and are afraid to bench or purge when it's clearly necessary.  in this respect it would actually help if the kept losing with fitz b/c it will only make it harder for all these conservatives to refuse to acknowledge that major changes are needed for this franchise, beginning with the qb.

So let's get this straight...

- Bowles has admitted that he has ZERO to do with the offense. A la Rex Ryan.

- The actual guy who runs the offense thinks Petty needs to see the field.

- Ryan Fitzpatrick is still our starting QB

There's incompetence, and then there's NY Jets level of incompetence.  I can't even with this team.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Players now coaches tearing Bowles down the end is near. 

Wait for it.... the happy go lucky losers who talk about  how we must give this asshat 3 years.   Nothing , absolutely nothing he has done makes me think he is even n average coach.  Poor player personnel decisions, poor play calls, poor clock management, poor defensive play calls after half and on and on.  

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Wait for it.... the happy go lucky losers who talk about  how we must give this asshat 3 years.   Nothing , absolutely nothing he has done makes me think he is even n average coach.  Poor player personnel decisions, poor play calls, poor clock management, poor defensive play calls after half and on and on.  

maybe he needs dick curl.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

For me, the question is whether he's maturing as a coach. Hard to tell, really.

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

He's definitely maturing in my eyes. His act is getting old, really old.

lol, ok small chuckle.

I'm kinda speechless on this topic (haha).

I'm not a Bowles supporter. I definitely wanted to be. But, wow, he's had no really positive result on any of the three units. They all either remained bad (special teams) or regressed.

But, because I'm tired of looking for new coaches, I feel like he should get another year.

Wait: I don't feel he SHOULD get another year. I simply, for my own selfish reasons, WANT him to have another year (to prove me wrong).

If Gailey wants to play Petty and Bowles doesn't, then Bowles should be fired.  Immediately.  Make Chan Gailey the interim head coach.  This team needs to evaluate what they have at QB.  Fitz is not the answer.  He's gone after this season.  Petty should be given the opportunity to find out if he has what it takes to be a starting quarterback in this league.  Bowles does not have a clue about offense.  I think this has been documented.  If the offensive coordinator is on record as saying that Petty needs game experience, then I trust him more than Todd Bowles.  At least Gailey knows a thing or two about quarterbacks and running an NFL offense.  

Archived