Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maxman

2017 New York Yankees Thread

34 posts in this topic

This needed to be happen. So here it is, the thread. I will kick you off with a little video of Gary Sanchez doing squats.

Gary Sanchez is the man. One of my favorite prospects ever who has successfully transitioned and looks like an outright stud MLer. Imagine if the Yankees had traded him for Jeff Samardzija back in 2014!!!!!

2017 could be a huge pivot year for this franchise....If things go extremely well the 2018 roster could see an influx of young bat talent (Torres, Frazier, Rutherford the headliners) with impact potential. From there it'll be all about Harper in FA for the new decade. 

15 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Good move signing Holliday to a one year deal

Yep.  Still on transition plan of being competitive now, play young while building to the huge FA class in 2018

3 hours ago, SMC said:

Yep.  Still on transition plan of being competitive now, play young while building to the huge FA class in 2018

Team has to be a juggernaut offensively to compete next year.  Our pitching is average at best and horrible at worst

We need another reliever at the very least. Koji Uehara to a 1 yr deal please

you got'em back - 5years/$86mm

Thanks Aroldis - we wouldn't have done it without you

That's a lot of money for a closer for a team that might not win 80 games next season. Good luck with that!

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's a lot of money for a closer for a team that might not win 80 games next season. Good luck with that!

Maybe the yankees can convince Big Papi to come back.  We can offer to give him as part of the pay free steroids and clear

8 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Maybe the yankees can convince Big Papi to come back.  We can offer to give him as part of the pay free steroids and clear

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

9 hours ago, NJ said:

you got'em back - 5years/$86mm

Thanks Aroldis - we wouldn't have done it without you

Good resigning, but that is a lot of coin for a closer

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Good resigning, but that is a lot of coin for a closer

I would have preferred Uehara on a one year deal but at least the Yankees have a great bullpen again

4 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I would have preferred Uehara on a one year deal but at least the Yankees have a great bullpen again

I Girardi doesn't try to kill Betances by mid July

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I Girardi doesn't try to kill Betances by mid July

That's my concern.  Our starting pitching is very mediocre I can see Girardi overworking Betances again to get that bridge from the 5th inning to Chapman

I imagine Chapman would still be a Cub if the DV never happened. He cost himself a ton by being a nut, otherwise this contract could have easily been 9 figures. The guy is a historic talent. 

I hope the Yankees give him a shot to start. 

Was really hoping they wouldn't do this because this young team is likeable and it's been nice not hating the Yankees anymore since ARod retired. $86 million. Christ. Humans suck.

On 12/4/2016 at 11:09 PM, drdetroit said:

Good move signing Holliday to a one year deal

Guess he'll DH for the most part. I'd like to see him have a good year. Nice rh batting slugger.

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Was really hoping they wouldn't do this because this young team is likeable and it's been nice not hating the Yankees anymore since ARod retired. $86 million. Christ. Humans suck.

Fortunately for the Yanks, they never had to worry about being likeable to Mets fans :D

That said, the Cubs were more than happy to have AC and all his baggage help them win the WS.  It was a necessary signing for the Yanks as they transition to 2018.  Betances demonstrated that he's not made for the closer's role and the Yanks lost a lot of winnable games down the stretch because Betances couldn't close the deal.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Fortunately for the Yanks, they never had to worry about being likeable to Mets fans :D

That said, the Cubs were more than happy to have AC and all his baggage help them win the WS.  It was a necessary signing for the Yanks as they transition to 2018.  Betances demonstrated that he's not made for the closer's role and the Yanks lost a lot of winnable games down the stretch because Betances couldn't close the deal.

I'm not under any impressions that you'd care. Just been bizarre watching this guy get ostracized, tossed around, then paid. I was equally, probably more disgusted when the Jets traded for Marshall and the Mets brought Reyes back. Such is the world we live in. People act like DV outrages them, but let's be honest, it really doesn't.

I used to pull for the Yanks back in the Bernie Williams/Brosius days, (never really looked at Mets/Yanks as a rivalry, plus they had Doc and Darryl), looked like they were going back to that sort of squad and it was nice to see.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not under any impressions that you'd care. Just been bizarre watching this guy get ostracized, tossed around, then paid. I was equally, probably more disgusted when the Jets traded for Marshall and the Mets brought Reyes back. Such is the world we live in. People act like DV outrages them, but let's be honest, it really doesn't.

I used to pull for the Yanks back in the Bernie Williams days, looked like they were going back to that sort of squad and it was nice to see.

I get it, but note that I said the YANKS don't care.  I didn't say me.

DV doesn't really outrage Americans for reasons we can't discuss in this venue.  I will say this about MLB, though, since the Ray Rice incident they have dived out harsher penalties than the other sports leagues.  The NFL remains a national disgrace on this issue.

As to likeability, being a Gen-X Yankee fan is different than those rooting for other teams.  Remember, our first sports nirvana was as pre-schoolers and early-schoolers who's parents rooted for the Billy Martin, Reggie and Thurman Yanks who won in 77 and 78.  There were a bunch of aholes on that team, including the manager and biggest star.  Everyone loved Thurman because he seemed like one of the few who weren't aholes.  We've always had that, even in the Bernie era.

Just now, SMC said:

I get it, but note that I said the YANKS don't care.  I didn't say me.

DV doesn't really outrage Americans for reasons we can't discuss in this venue.  I will say this about MLB, though, since the Ray Rice incident they have dived out harsher penalties than the other sports leagues.  The NFL remains a national disgrace on this issue.

As to likeability, being a Gen-X Yankee fan is different than those rooting for other teams.  Remember, our first sports nirvana was as pre-schoolers and early-schoolers who's parents rooted for the Billy Martin, Reggie and Thurman Yanks who won in 77 and 78.  There were a bunch of aholes on that team, including the manager and biggest star.  Everyone loved Thurman because he seemed like one of the few who weren't aholes.  We've always had that, even in the Bernie era.

For sure. '86 Mets had their share too and Straw had his own bout with it, (though he's taken responsibility for it and gave a pretty heart-warming explanation for his drug addiction fueling his ability to abuse someone). I will say that I've had this talk with a lot of friends and everyone seems to be in universal agreement that it's just a different time now than it was in the 70s, 80s, and 90s for stuff like this. And IMO in a very good way.

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

For sure. '86 Mets had their share too and Straw had his own bout with it, (though he's taken responsibility for it and gave a pretty heart-warming explanation for his drug addiction fueling his ability to abuse someone). I will say that I've had this talk with a lot of friends and everyone seems to be in universal agreement that it's just a different time now than it was in the 70s, 80s, and 90s for stuff like this. And IMO in a very good way.

People's attention span is just so short.

Kobe was accused of being a rapist, I still think he did it.  Big Ben, total rapist, people in Pitt love that guy.  Shoot, I loved reading about Mickey Mantle, that dude showed up hung over/ borderline still drunk at games.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

People's attention span is just so short.

Kobe was accused of being a rapist, I still think he did it.  Big Ben, total rapist, people in Pitt love that guy.  Shoot, I loved reading about Mickey Mantle, that dude showed up hung over/ borderline still drunk at games.

I think social media has just warped me. It cons you into thinking people actually give a sh*t, but it's really for only like a day.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think social media has just warped me. It cons you into thinking people actually give a sh*t, but it's really for only like a day.

I am outraged!!!

Ohhhh, look.  A penny.

On December 8, 2016 at 4:01 PM, JohnJ said:

Guess he'll DH for the most part. I'd like to see him have a good year. Nice rh batting slugger.

It's a good move.  Supposedly Gardner is getting traded next