2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary Sanchez is the man. One of my favorite prospects ever who has successfully transitioned and looks like an outright stud MLer. Imagine if the Yankees had traded him for Jeff Samardzija back in 2014!!!!!

2017 could be a huge pivot year for this franchise....If things go extremely well the 2018 roster could see an influx of young bat talent (Torres, Frazier, Rutherford the headliners) with impact potential. From there it'll be all about Harper in FA for the new decade. 

3 hours ago, SMC said:

Yep.  Still on transition plan of being competitive now, play young while building to the huge FA class in 2018

Team has to be a juggernaut offensively to compete next year.  Our pitching is average at best and horrible at worst

We need another reliever at the very least. Koji Uehara to a 1 yr deal please

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's a lot of money for a closer for a team that might not win 80 games next season. Good luck with that!

Maybe the yankees can convince Big Papi to come back.  We can offer to give him as part of the pay free steroids and clear

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Was really hoping they wouldn't do this because this young team is likeable and it's been nice not hating the Yankees anymore since ARod retired. $86 million. Christ. Humans suck.

Fortunately for the Yanks, they never had to worry about being likeable to Mets fans :D

That said, the Cubs were more than happy to have AC and all his baggage help them win the WS.  It was a necessary signing for the Yanks as they transition to 2018.  Betances demonstrated that he's not made for the closer's role and the Yanks lost a lot of winnable games down the stretch because Betances couldn't close the deal.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Fortunately for the Yanks, they never had to worry about being likeable to Mets fans :D

That said, the Cubs were more than happy to have AC and all his baggage help them win the WS.  It was a necessary signing for the Yanks as they transition to 2018.  Betances demonstrated that he's not made for the closer's role and the Yanks lost a lot of winnable games down the stretch because Betances couldn't close the deal.

I'm not under any impressions that you'd care. Just been bizarre watching this guy get ostracized, tossed around, then paid. I was equally, probably more disgusted when the Jets traded for Marshall and the Mets brought Reyes back. Such is the world we live in. People act like DV outrages them, but let's be honest, it really doesn't.

I used to pull for the Yanks back in the Bernie Williams/Brosius days, (never really looked at Mets/Yanks as a rivalry, plus they had Doc and Darryl), looked like they were going back to that sort of squad and it was nice to see.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not under any impressions that you'd care. Just been bizarre watching this guy get ostracized, tossed around, then paid. I was equally, probably more disgusted when the Jets traded for Marshall and the Mets brought Reyes back. Such is the world we live in. People act like DV outrages them, but let's be honest, it really doesn't.

I used to pull for the Yanks back in the Bernie Williams days, looked like they were going back to that sort of squad and it was nice to see.

I get it, but note that I said the YANKS don't care.  I didn't say me.

DV doesn't really outrage Americans for reasons we can't discuss in this venue.  I will say this about MLB, though, since the Ray Rice incident they have dived out harsher penalties than the other sports leagues.  The NFL remains a national disgrace on this issue.

As to likeability, being a Gen-X Yankee fan is different than those rooting for other teams.  Remember, our first sports nirvana was as pre-schoolers and early-schoolers who's parents rooted for the Billy Martin, Reggie and Thurman Yanks who won in 77 and 78.  There were a bunch of aholes on that team, including the manager and biggest star.  Everyone loved Thurman because he seemed like one of the few who weren't aholes.  We've always had that, even in the Bernie era.

Just now, SMC said:

I get it, but note that I said the YANKS don't care.  I didn't say me.

DV doesn't really outrage Americans for reasons we can't discuss in this venue.  I will say this about MLB, though, since the Ray Rice incident they have dived out harsher penalties than the other sports leagues.  The NFL remains a national disgrace on this issue.

As to likeability, being a Gen-X Yankee fan is different than those rooting for other teams.  Remember, our first sports nirvana was as pre-schoolers and early-schoolers who's parents rooted for the Billy Martin, Reggie and Thurman Yanks who won in 77 and 78.  There were a bunch of aholes on that team, including the manager and biggest star.  Everyone loved Thurman because he seemed like one of the few who weren't aholes.  We've always had that, even in the Bernie era.

For sure. '86 Mets had their share too and Straw had his own bout with it, (though he's taken responsibility for it and gave a pretty heart-warming explanation for his drug addiction fueling his ability to abuse someone). I will say that I've had this talk with a lot of friends and everyone seems to be in universal agreement that it's just a different time now than it was in the 70s, 80s, and 90s for stuff like this. And IMO in a very good way.

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

For sure. '86 Mets had their share too and Straw had his own bout with it, (though he's taken responsibility for it and gave a pretty heart-warming explanation for his drug addiction fueling his ability to abuse someone). I will say that I've had this talk with a lot of friends and everyone seems to be in universal agreement that it's just a different time now than it was in the 70s, 80s, and 90s for stuff like this. And IMO in a very good way.

People's attention span is just so short.

Kobe was accused of being a rapist, I still think he did it.  Big Ben, total rapist, people in Pitt love that guy.  Shoot, I loved reading about Mickey Mantle, that dude showed up hung over/ borderline still drunk at games.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

People's attention span is just so short.

Kobe was accused of being a rapist, I still think he did it.  Big Ben, total rapist, people in Pitt love that guy.  Shoot, I loved reading about Mickey Mantle, that dude showed up hung over/ borderline still drunk at games.

I think social media has just warped me. It cons you into thinking people actually give a sh*t, but it's really for only like a day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Yankees sign Chris Carter for 1 year 3-3.5 million plus incentives.

It's interesting how much the game has changed.  He hit 41 homers last year and has hit in the 30s before, but he's like Dave Kingman and all he does is hit homers or strike out.  So he's signed at a bargain price.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

It's interesting how much the game has changed.  He hit 41 homers last year and has hit in the 30s before, but he's like Dave Kingman and all he does is hit homers or strike out.  So he's signed at a bargain price.

He's a bargain.  I don't know how much he'll bring to the table for them, but he costs less then an average middle reliever.   Really, you can't get burned too much on a contract like that.

On 2/8/2017 at 5:55 PM, chirorob said:

He's a bargain.  I don't know how much he'll bring to the table for them, but he costs less then an average middle reliever.   Really, you can't get burned too much on a contract like that.

At the price it is no risk. They are going to make sure Bird wins the 1st base job. Maybe Austin goes to RF is Judge isn't ready?

But if none of them are ready they can watch the ball fly 1) out of the park and 2) into the catchers mitt. Strike outs and home runs! Definitely like the protection this contract brings at this price point.

• 1 month later...

Archived