2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Betances looks shaky again.   2 walks, 2 wild pitches.

Maybe he's just getting the yips.  For his sake, I really hope not.

They say its mechanical with his arm slot.  He needs to correct that fast

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/10/2017 at 11:25 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Judge is absolutely must-watch tv, while playing the slowest sport on the planet. That's how you know he's an absolute f*ckin star. 

Acromegaly forehead is a ratings grabber for sure. 

7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Severino's pretty beast.

Even if Judge goes Jeremy Lin on everyone, the Yankees still have two ultra rare pieces in Sanchez and Severino.

Having a Catcher who gets 20+ hr and 90+ rbi with a .300 BA is a great asset to have

Judge coming back to earth.  

Chapman, killer blown save, could have taken 3 of 4 from Boston.   CC pitched well coming back, Tanaka with a real big performance last night.   Even though they lost, he gave them innings at a point they really needed a long start out of him.

At least they didn't lose another series.  CC and Severino looked real good.  Judge in a mini slump, but he crushed that ball which was robbed of him as a HR.

I give no credit to Tanaka, though.  Yes, he kept them in it, but he pitched well enough to lose and after the embarrassment of a season he's had thus far (worst ERA of any starting picture in AL with at least 10 starts) he doesn't get a carrot for performing like a JAG.  He's getting ace money and is expected to be an ace.  But because he has been such an utter failure in that role, Yanks have to rely on a 22 yr old kid and a 37 yr old with a bad knee to fill that void.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

At least they didn't lose another series.  CC and Severino looked real good.  Judge in a mini slump, but he crushed that ball which was robbed of him as a HR.

I give no credit to Tanaka, though.  Yes, he kept them in it, but he pitched well enough to lose and after the embarrassment of a season he's had thus far (worst ERA of any starting picture in AL with at least 10 starts) he doesn't get a carrot for performing like a JAG.  He's getting ace money and is expected to be an ace.  But because he has been such an utter failure in that role, Yanks have to rely on a 22 yr old kid and a 37 yr old with a bad knee to fill that void.

7+ innings of 3 runs in Fenway isn't bad.   He's not an ace, at all.   I do not know what is wrong with him, but after Friday and Saturday, they could not afford to have him go 5 innings. 

I wonder how much the Derby played a part in Judge's post-all-star game slump. Anectodal evidence from a lot of the Derby guys show that they have to alter their swing for the event and that it takes a bit to get it back. No idea if there's any actual evidence of post-derby numbers, it would be easy to do, albeit time-consuming. Just curious. 

15 hours ago, NoBowles said:

No biggie on Judge. With stance changes, you need to cycle that sh*t. You need time off from stance changing. He will get back to stance changing soon, I'm sure of it.

You sound more intelligent defending the Devin Smith and Chris Hackenberg picks than labeling a guy a roider who gets tested regularly for PEDs

13 hours ago, thadude said:

You sound more intelligent defending the Devin Smith and Chris Hackenberg picks than labeling a guy a roider who gets tested regularly for PEDs

Roids? Who said anything about roids?

BTW, didn't ARoid always get tested for PEDs too?

35 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Blockbuster trade cometh. Be interesting to see who they had to give up if all goes down. 

Cashman panicked. Traded for White Sox's Frazier and Robertson for 2016 1st rounder Rutherford. Very disappointed in Cashman. Rutherford is Yanks No. 3 prospect and they need pitching

28 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

bad trade in my opinion. rutherford is one  of their best prospects. frazier is having a horrible year and is a free agent after this year. 

My only thinking is that there is an OF logjam, but Rutherford could be part of a better package than what Cashman received.  Agreed, bad trade.

Interesting stat from Judge's 2nd half mini-slump, according to ESPN before last night's game:

Aaron Judge is looking to snap out of a 1-for-21 (.048) post-break slump Tuesday against the Twins on ESPN (8 ET). Since the break Judge has been swinging-and-missing more (41% to 34% pre-break), chasing pitches out of the zone more (37% to 21%) and hitting fewer line drives when he does make contact (14% to 28%). Judge's only hit since the All-Star break was an infield single.

The bolded has been the biggest problem IMO and you can see it's the biggest drop off and leads to the poor percentages in the other categories.

10 hours ago, Barton said:

No sense in trading any potential high end prospects at this point, unless you are getting an ace-type in return. So stupid.

Completely agree.  I understand trading Rutherford because Yanks have a glut of high-end young OFer prospects/MLBers, but save that for a trade for a No. 2 or No. 1 starter.

That said, the Yanks acquired 3 MLBers for a minor leaguer and a washed up reliever, which is unheard of and tells you how valued the minor leaguer is.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Completely agree.  I understand trading Rutherford because Yanks have a glut of high-end young OFer prospects/MLBers, but save that for a trade for a No. 2 or No. 1 starter.

That said, the Yanks acquired 3 MLBers for a minor leaguer and a washed up reliever, which is unheard of and tells you how valued the minor leaguer is.

I don't like it, but there is a glut.   Their bullpen is shored up for this year and next with Robertson, and I believe 3 years for the other guy.

It's as much a help for next year as this year.  They could have 4 guys in the pen with the ability to strike out 100 per season.  Or Betances could stop throwing strikes forever and Chapman could keep being an average closer making elite money.

Archived