2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/11/2017 at 9:58 AM, SMC said:

Yeah, Judge looks like he's coming out of it.  What was killing him was chasing pitches out of the zone and then fouling off his pitch.  Now he's not chasing and crushing his pitch.

I'm just glad he hit 40 because on a personal level for him it would have been awful to end the season at 39 after the start he had.

The funny thing was the idiots at ESPN recently trying to make a ROY horse race with Benintendi and the first thing they say is, "if you don't look at the home runs the stats are similar..."  I'm like, WTF?  Judge has 20 more homers than Benintendi! You can't discount that off the bat.

Judge just hit 2 more, with 6 RBI.   Sanchez hit #31

Yanks went 6-3 on their last long road trip of the season which is great.

Judge looks like he's got his swing back.  Incredible year.  The same for Sanchez who has 31 homers after missing first month.  I'm glad Girardi put them back-to-back again.  That's a lethal combo.

The best thing is, if the Yanks win tonight they'll be back to 15 games over .500.  That means they would have totally eliminated that horrible team-wide slump in July/August when they played like the worst team in baseball.  So now it ends up being .500 ball for the worst part of the season.  Not bad.

12 hours ago, SMC said:

Another great outing by Severino

He won't beat Kluber or Sale, but he should finish 3rd in CY Young.

Gray has been excellent since being picked up as well, they just don't score and make a crap ton of errors for him.  If Tanaka and CC can go 5 innings, 2 runs in the playoffs, this team can make serious noise.  It has the pitching and the bullpen.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, SMC said:

BTW, Yanks remaining schedule is ridiculous.  They have 16 games left, 13 in The Bronx and 3 in Toronto.

I want to win the division but the sux also have an easy schedule and 3 games up so not happening.  Still can't complain tho this was supposed to be a rebuilding year and we're making the playoffs

21 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I want to win the division but the sux also have an easy schedule and 3 games up so not happening.  Still can't complain tho this was supposed to be a rebuilding year and we're making the playoffs

Yeah, I don't see Yanks catching them, Boston isn't losing enough.  

I agree.   I was hoping for 84-86 wins, and some young guys get some good experience.  This year has been great, the only real downer is Bird.   Just hope he learns from this year to become a player.

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

Man, what happened here.

Yanks are having a good season, and it's like, 3 guys chatting about it once every day or 2.

Yea man speaking for myself last couple of weeks been busy.  Was hoping to catch the Sox but man they have won 2 or 3 games in the past week where it looked like they were going to lose but somehow won.  Waiting for the wild card.  Betances needs to right himself quick.  DRob needs to be the 7-8th inning guy if Betances doesnt figure it out quick.  

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

Man, what happened here.

Yanks are having a good season, and it's like, 3 guys chatting about it once every day or 2.

Football took over NYC about 5 years ago.  If this was the early to mid 2000's people wouldn't be shutting up about the Yankees

2 hours ago, SMC said:

I think people are in wait-for-postseason mode

Betances needs to fix himself.  It's ridiculous how wild he is.  It seems mental in his inability to control his mechanics.

It's totally 100% mental for Betances.  Unlike Chapman who had a leg issue contributing to his slump during the season

4 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Sox won another extra inning game last night, they are something like 15-3 in extras this year.  Side note, got tickets for the wild card game.

Yanks aren't catching them.   Might win 90 though.

If Betances can get himself right now that Chapman is back.   That bullpen is insane, 5 guys deep at least.   Starters go 6, it's a game.   Shoot, starters go 5 and it should be lights out.  Indians are the best, and Astros and Sox are right there, but I give the Yanks a punchers chance.   Still have to win that wildcard game though

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Yanks aren't catching them.   Might win 90 though.

If Betances can get himself right now that Chapman is back.   That bullpen is insane, 5 guys deep at least.   Starters go 6, it's a game.   Shoot, starters go 5 and it should be lights out.  Indians are the best, and Astros and Sox are right there, but I give the Yanks a punchers chance.   Still have to win that wildcard game though

I agree we have no shot at the division now but still a great season considering we weren't even supposed to make the playoffs

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I agree we have no shot at the division now but still a great season considering we weren't even supposed to make the playoffs

Great season.    Not one complaint from me, not one.

I really think the Yanks can be tough in the playoffs.   Solid starting pitching, a great bullpen, and they can score runs.

17 hours ago, chirorob said:

I really think the Yanks can be tough in the playoffs.   Solid starting pitching, a great bullpen, and they can score runs.

Agree, but the wild card game is always scary, personally I would start Gray but understand it will likely be Sevy.

Lastly, prayers to the the little girl struck by the foul ball yesterday.  Just awful.  Yankees need to get of their ass and put the netting up.  

Yeah, it seems like the WC is the likeliest destination.  Unfortunately, that means facing Cleveland in the ALDS.  But, hey, that's baseball.  More than any other sport, the best team doesn't win.

And, yep, GQX, Yanks need to put up that netting pronto.  The little girl should be alright.  No inclination that she had a skull fracture.

I wouldn't start Gray in WC game because you have to go with your best guy there and its Severino.  With your season on the line, you start the guy who has carried you all season (and has even been better in 2nd half).  

Also, it sets a rotation of Gray (R-GM1), CC (R-GM2), Severino (H-GM3), Tanaka (H-GM4) (if ahead, Gray if down), Gray (R-GM5) (or CC if Gray had to pitch game 4).  Gray and CC have the most postseason experience of the starters and you want them pitching twice.

2 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Agree, but the wild card game is always scary, personally I would start Gray but understand it will likely be Sevy.

Lastly, prayers to the the little girl struck by the foul ball yesterday.  Just awful.  Yankees need to get of their ass and put the netting up.  

100% yeah on the kids.

Any good team can beat any good team on any given day.  1 game play in for baseball is so tough.   1 pitcher has an off day, 1 pitcher has the game of his life, and the whole season is over.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, chirorob said:

I agree we have a shot.  Everyone is on Cleveland's jock strap right now but I think we can beat them in a 7-game series

16 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I agree we have a shot.  Everyone is on Cleveland's jock strap right now but I think we can beat them in a 7-game series

I agree Yanks have a shot, but unless they win the division (unlikely) they'll have to beat Cleveland in a 5 game series.  It can still be done, but they'll have to beat Kluber at least once, which is no small order.

Great regular season by Yanks AND Judge is 1 HR away from tying McGuire's rookie record.

Now they just have to secure homefield for the WC game (magic number is 3 with 7 to play).

Switching up the rotation to chase the Sawx was stupid.  Win 3 games and get ready for Twins with Severino lined up to pitch Oct 3.

41 minutes ago, gqxluvx said:

Hope Judge gets to 50, that would be a great feat considering how bad he was in July and August.  

Yep, and when we look back on it, it was only 2 months.  Dreadful 2 months, for sure, but he was great in April, May, June and September, which means it was a great season overall.

14 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Wow, great accomplishment for Judge.  Really a fun year regardless of how it all plays out.

Agreed and in spades.

More kids to come.

Maybe Bird and Sanchez get a full year next year.

Added pitching depth at the deadline but good for more than this year.

Dayyaunm Cashman.... this rebuild looks like it might be one for the ages.

Archived