435 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2017 at 10:48 PM, thadude said:

So over this season.

7 hours ago, thadude said:

Epic win

Lol

7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Severino's pretty beast.

Even if Judge goes Jeremy Lin on everyone, the Yankees still have two ultra rare pieces in Sanchez and Severino.

Having a Catcher who gets 20+ hr and 90+ rbi with a .300 BA is a great asset to have

Judge coming back to earth.  

Chapman, killer blown save, could have taken 3 of 4 from Boston.   CC pitched well coming back, Tanaka with a real big performance last night.   Even though they lost, he gave them innings at a point they really needed a long start out of him.

At least they didn't lose another series.  CC and Severino looked real good.  Judge in a mini slump, but he crushed that ball which was robbed of him as a HR.

I give no credit to Tanaka, though.  Yes, he kept them in it, but he pitched well enough to lose and after the embarrassment of a season he's had thus far (worst ERA of any starting picture in AL with at least 10 starts) he doesn't get a carrot for performing like a JAG.  He's getting ace money and is expected to be an ace.  But because he has been such an utter failure in that role, Yanks have to rely on a 22 yr old kid and a 37 yr old with a bad knee to fill that void.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

At least they didn't lose another series.  CC and Severino looked real good.  Judge in a mini slump, but he crushed that ball which was robbed of him as a HR.

I give no credit to Tanaka, though.  Yes, he kept them in it, but he pitched well enough to lose and after the embarrassment of a season he's had thus far (worst ERA of any starting picture in AL with at least 10 starts) he doesn't get a carrot for performing like a JAG.  He's getting ace money and is expected to be an ace.  But because he has been such an utter failure in that role, Yanks have to rely on a 22 yr old kid and a 37 yr old with a bad knee to fill that void.

7+ innings of 3 runs in Fenway isn't bad.   He's not an ace, at all.   I do not know what is wrong with him, but after Friday and Saturday, they could not afford to have him go 5 innings. 

I think it can be a good sign for the team without having to give Tanaka a cookie.

I wonder how much the Derby played a part in Judge's post-all-star game slump. Anectodal evidence from a lot of the Derby guys show that they have to alter their swing for the event and that it takes a bit to get it back. No idea if there's any actual evidence of post-derby numbers, it would be easy to do, albeit time-consuming. Just curious. 

No biggie on Judge. With stance changes, you need to cycle that sh*t. You need time off from stance changing. He will get back to stance changing soon, I'm sure of it.

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

No biggie on Judge. With stance changes, you need to cycle that sh*t. You need time off from stance changing. He will get back to stance changing soon, I'm sure of it.

Image result for i see what you did there gif

15 hours ago, NoBowles said:

You sound more intelligent defending the Devin Smith and Chris Hackenberg picks than labeling a guy a roider who gets tested regularly for PEDs

Blockbuster trade cometh. Be interesting to see who they had to give up if all goes down. 

13 hours ago, thadude said:

You sound more intelligent defending the Devin Smith and Chris Hackenberg picks than labeling a guy a roider who gets tested regularly for PEDs

Roids? Who said anything about roids?

BTW, didn't ARoid always get tested for PEDs too?

35 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Blockbuster trade cometh. Be interesting to see who they had to give up if all goes down. 

Cashman panicked. Traded for White Sox's Frazier and Robertson for 2016 1st rounder Rutherford. Very disappointed in Cashman. Rutherford is Yanks No. 3 prospect and they need pitching

bad trade in my opinion. rutherford is one  of their best prospects. frazier is having a horrible year and is a free agent after this year. 

28 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

bad trade in my opinion. rutherford is one  of their best prospects. frazier is having a horrible year and is a free agent after this year. 

My only thinking is that there is an OF logjam, but Rutherford could be part of a better package than what Cashman received.  Agreed, bad trade.

No sense in trading any potential high end prospects at this point, unless you are getting an ace-type in return. So stupid.

Interesting stat from Judge's 2nd half mini-slump, according to ESPN before last night's game:

Aaron Judge is looking to snap out of a 1-for-21 (.048) post-break slump Tuesday against the Twins on ESPN (8 ET). Since the break Judge has been swinging-and-missing more (41% to 34% pre-break), chasing pitches out of the zone more (37% to 21%) and hitting fewer line drives when he does make contact (14% to 28%). Judge's only hit since the All-Star break was an infield single.

The bolded has been the biggest problem IMO and you can see it's the biggest drop off and leads to the poor percentages in the other categories.

10 hours ago, Barton said:

No sense in trading any potential high end prospects at this point, unless you are getting an ace-type in return. So stupid.

Completely agree.  I understand trading Rutherford because Yanks have a glut of high-end young OFer prospects/MLBers, but save that for a trade for a No. 2 or No. 1 starter.

That said, the Yanks acquired 3 MLBers for a minor leaguer and a washed up reliever, which is unheard of and tells you how valued the minor leaguer is.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Completely agree.  I understand trading Rutherford because Yanks have a glut of high-end young OFer prospects/MLBers, but save that for a trade for a No. 2 or No. 1 starter.

That said, the Yanks acquired 3 MLBers for a minor leaguer and a washed up reliever, which is unheard of and tells you how valued the minor leaguer is.

I don't like it, but there is a glut.   Their bullpen is shored up for this year and next with Robertson, and I believe 3 years for the other guy.

It's as much a help for next year as this year.  They could have 4 guys in the pen with the ability to strike out 100 per season.  Or Betances could stop throwing strikes forever and Chapman could keep being an average closer making elite money.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Positional players vs pitchers are apples and oranges.  Yanks were very fortunate to get 2 very good pitchers that are at minimum signed through next season for an OF prospect.  Add to that a potential bat to the black hole that has been 1st base this year and it is a very good trade for the yanks imo.  

13 hours ago, SMC said:

Cashman panicked. Traded for White Sox's Frazier and Robertson for 2016 1st rounder Rutherford. Very disappointed in Cashman. Rutherford is Yanks No. 3 prospect and they need pitching

Disagree.  We need Robertson and he will solidify our bullpen.  I like this trade. 

2 hours ago, SMC said:

I'm not being a jerk.   What pitchers are going to be available in a trade, even going into the off season?

24 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I don't like it, but there is a glut.   Their bullpen is shored up for this year and next with Robertson, and I believe 3 years for the other guy.

It's as much a help for next year as this year.  They could have 4 guys in the pen with the ability to strike out 100 per season.  Or Betances could stop throwing strikes forever and Chapman could keep being an average closer making elite money.

We had to make this deal to save the season.  Now that Pineda is done we have guys like Bryan Mitchell and Luis Cessa making regular starts who can't get through the 5th inning.  Even the veterans in the rotation are having difficulty doing that

And yes making the playoffs this year matters when you have $222 million payroll

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'm not being a jerk.   What pitchers are going to be available in a trade, even going into the off season?

Nobody except Quintana who the Cubs got and would have cost even more prospects.  The Rangers are shopping Darvish but they hate the Yankees and won't trade him to us barring a a ridiculous heist and we can sign Darvish as UFA next winter

Only other option is fortify the bullpen.  Between Chapman, Betances, Green and now Robertson we can have starters get out in the 5th inning and still win