2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

There's one simple, incontrovertible truth in sports:  Every fanbase of a franchise that wins has tons of bandwagon fans.  Some are worse than others, and since the Yankees are an international brand, they probably have the most. 

Just like when the Jets win, NYC becomes a Jets town (because it doesn't happen often), NYC becomes a Mets town when the Mets win.  It's a matter of expectations. 

Yeah but take the Cowboys for example.  And international brand, biggest Sports team in all of sports, etc.  Their fans are insane.  Every year.  No matter how good or bad, you'd think they're Super Bowl contenders

Yankees fans have all but disappeared until this season.  I know Baseball is a little different but still.  Yankees fans come out of the wood works.  

Yes, something happened last night with a "Yankees Fan" that pissed me off.  lol

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was freaking awesome.  Our butts barely got in our seats and we are down 3-0.  I had concerns about Sevy in this spot and unfortunately he just didn't have it.  Hopefully he can put it behind him.  Chad Green getting out of the 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and not giving up any more runs really was HUGE.  Brought some life back to the stadium and Gardy with the leadoff walk was also huge.  You could sense something was coming and Didi with the huge homer.  Cant say enough good things about Didi.  This guy is underrated in NY and thats hard to do.  Cleveland is going to be a HUGE challenge but man this team is fun.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah but take the Cowboys for example.  And international brand, biggest Sports team in all of sports, etc.  Their fans are insane.  Every year.  No matter how good or bad, you'd think they're Super Bowl contenders

Yankees fans have all but disappeared until this season.  I know Baseball is a little different but still.  Yankees fans come out of the wood works.  

Yes, something happened last night with a "Yankees Fan" that pissed me off.  lol

Yeah, but how many Cowboys fans have actually BEEN to Dallas?  Same with Steelers fans.  There are tons that have never been to Pittsburgh. 

I think that Yankee fans were in unchartered territory when they were sellers at the trade deadline last season.  That pretty much never happens.  It was a signal to Yankee fans that they were finally rebuilding.  However, they had precocious young players who didn't get that memo, and they started their upward swing much faster than anyone ever expected.  And the scary thing, as either Buster Olney or Tim Kurkjian pointed out, is that they're still a year or 2 away from hitting their apex. 

Yankee fans are only now starting to catch up, because they're pretty much a "World Series or bust" fan base.  Which is kind of understandable when you've won a title, on average, about once every 4 years since American League baseball has existed. 

I still hate the Yankees, but the behavior of the cheating Patriots has put that hatred in perspective.  It's a very different level of hatred at this point. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

100 % false.... Cowboy fans are the biggest fair weather fans in all of sports and its not even close I live here and see it on a daily basis. All this talk of Americas team bullsh*t they are not close to what the Yankees have accomplished  as a franchise. The Yankees are the greatest team in all of sports and its not even close. The Yankees don't have to make up bullsh*t names like "Americas team" to get attention the Yankees are known around the world for a reason.

The Yankees no doubt went stale with Vets like A Rod and Texeria but true Yankees fans like myself always found time to watch. They have proven once again they are the best run organization in all of sports and its not close although the Pats and all the cheating have given them a run the last few decades.

You sound more like an angry Mets fan than a guy who hates the Yankees :)

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

100 % false.... Cowboy fans are the biggest fair weather fans in all of sports and its not even close I live here and see it on a daily basis. All this talk of Americas team bullsh*t they are not close to what the Yankees have accomplished  as a franchise. The Yankees are the greatest team in all of sports and its not even close. The Yankees don't have to make up bullsh*t names like "Americas team" to get attention the Yankees are known around the world for a reason.

The Yankees no doubt went stale with Vets like A Rod and Texeria but true Yankees fans like myself always found time to watch. They have proven once again they are the best run organization in all of sports and its not close although the Pats and all the cheating have given them a run the last few decades.

You live in Texas so I will take your word but out of market, the fans that I’ve met are all crazy delusional die hards. 

I know many die hard Yankees fans, but the fair weather crowd is enormous.  Probably because they have the largest fan base in the world.

And yes, I am an angry Mets fan who follows his team during every sh*tty year and not picks and chooses to watch when his team is good. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It really is but man do I hate the Yankees.  Are their fans the biggest fair weather fans on the planet?

I've spent a lot of time in the city the past few years and it was all Mets until it looked liked the Yankees were playoff bound.

Lol. Nothing about this is true except maybe you being in the city.

Awesome game.  My best friend down here is from Minnesota and the poor bastard doesn't even get ESPN.  I opened this thread at page 18 to read the responses in order and it starts with this:

Severino showing he's one of the top 5 pitchers in the AL yet again.

Thought it was some troll sh*t, but turns out it was a legit post from early September.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, but how many Cowboys fans have actually BEEN to Dallas?  Same with Steelers fans.  There are tons that have never been to Pittsburgh. 

I think that Yankee fans were in unchartered territory when they were sellers at the trade deadline last season.  That pretty much never happens.  It was a signal to Yankee fans that they were finally rebuilding.  However, they had precocious young players who didn't get that memo, and they started their upward swing much faster than anyone ever expected.  And the scary thing, as either Buster Olney or Tim Kurkjian pointed out, is that they're still a year or 2 away from hitting their apex. 

Yankee fans are only now starting to catch up, because they're pretty much a "World Series or bust" fan base.  Which is kind of understandable when you've won a title, on average, about once every 4 years since American League baseball has existed. 

I still hate the Yankees, but the behavior of the cheating Patriots has put that hatred in perspective.  It's a very different level of hatred at this point. 

Same can be said for the Yankees.  I've seen the hat all over the world.  The "World Series or bust" type of fanbase makes sense too.

Didn't mean to derail the thread.  The line up is fun to watch and I hate it and my Uncle and Cousin have been rubbing it in my face for weeks and they literally couldn't tell you who was in the line up last year. 

40 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Lol. Nothing about this is true except maybe you being in the city.

That was my experience for sure.  Every where I went while CJ lived there, was Mets.  Literally no Yankees.  They wouldn't even be on the TV.  This year we've visited a few times during the season, all Yankees.  I mean, I get it and it's been so long since I've lived up there maybe I forget. 

Anywho.  Fun team to watch and I hate it.  Good luck but I don't mean it.  Should be a great playoffs. 

Insane game.  The bullpen was incredible, but getting those 3 runs back in the bottom of the first was key.  It righted the ship after Green stopped the bleeding and allowed everyone to exhale.  Gardner's walk and Judge's great single off of a tough 2-strike pitch made me feel at ease.  Then Didi did his magic after Sanchez (balls of stone) popped out.

If Yanks don't score there it is easy to see them getting tight.  Didi has been amazing and the top 4 in the lineup were lights out.  It's great to see the Yankee postseason lineup finally score runs.  The last time it was like that was 2009.  2012 was painful as the team hoped that the corpse of Raul Ibanez could bail them out with miracle homers (and, of course, Jeter breaks his leg in that series).

The moment got too big for Severino.  He had his fastball but no command on his offspeed stuff and fell behind all 6 batters he faced.  That will get you killed in October.  Heck, he did not have 1 swing-and-miss.

Such a relief to see Judge, Didi and Sanchez rise to the occasion.  Bird even got a big hit.  Castro, though, is going to be a concern as he has no plate discipline.  It gets exploited in October.

As to the discussion of fair weather fans, people have to remember there's 9 million people in NY and a ton of things to do.  If your team isn't good, you do something else or wait for the next sport season to start.  The Yanks were on the downswing the last couple of years and rebuilding and I loved it.  Allowed Arod to disappear and give us a chance to follow the young guys, who blossomed into all stars.

As for the Mets, I hoped they would've won 2 years ago when they had a chance.  Now, it seems like they missed their opportunity as the Yanks have reclaimed NYC.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I also have to say from the perspective of a Yankee Hater, this is the most likable Yankee team since 1996. 

They just have so much more energy and fun about them then they used to.  They look like they are having fun, they play hard, don't quit when they are losing.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

That was my experience for sure.  Every where I went while CJ lived there, was Mets.  Literally no Yankees.  They wouldn't even be on the TV.  This year we've visited a few times during the season, all Yankees.  I mean, I get it and it's been so long since I've lived up there maybe I forget. 

Anywho.  Fun team to watch and I hate it.  Good luck but I don't mean it.  Should be a great playoffs. 

Great post!

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I live here too.   Cowboy fans are real fair weather types.

(where you live?)

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Well I have lived in NY and NJ my entire life and I can tell you the only time this was a Mets town was in 1986. The Yankees finished in 2nd place every year of the 80's pretty much (no wildcard) and the Mets dominated that year. Amazing that they only one that one year, should have had more.

The Mets have great fans. But it is a Yankees town.

The fair weather aspect comes from them being a team that so many people love. So people jump on the bandwagon for sure, they have so much success that will happen. The Yankee faithful are amazing though. They had a pretty dark stretch from 1982 - 1995 and Yankees talk was still everywhere.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I call bullsh*t on this.  Support of Yankees and Mets may go up and down, but there has never been a time when there was "Literally no Yankees."  I have been following them since the Ron Bloomberg, Horace Clarke, Doc Medich days and they still always had at least as much coverage as the Mets.  Hats and gear everywhere.  I'm sure there are tons of fair weather Yankee fans, but I can personally name about 100 die-hard Yankee fans.  Hell, there were probably over 80 of them at my wedding.  Hell, my 97 year old aunt can still name the rotation. 

To me Greene striking out the last two batters with men on 2nd and 3rd in the first inning was as big if not even bigger than Didi's 3-run homer to tie it up in the bottom of the inning.  Maybe Santana has a different confidence level at 4-0 or 5-0 than he does at 3-0.

Great job bullpen and bring on Cleveland.  I wonder which of our two cagey vets (CC or Tanaka) will get the nod in game 1.  

52 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I call bullsh*t on this.  Support of Yankees and Mets may go up and down, but there has never been a time when there was "Literally no Yankees."  I have been following them since the Ron Bloomberg, Horace Clarke, Doc Medich days and they still always had at least as much coverage as the Mets.  Hats and gear everywhere.  I'm sure there are tons of fair weather Yankee fans, but I can personally name about 100 die-hard Yankee fans.  Hell, there were probably over 80 of them at my wedding.  Hell, my 97 year old aunt can still name the rotation. 

I think that’s an over exaggeration.  There are obviously die hards.  I think we got to the bottom of it. 

Angry little Mets fan will leave now 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I also have to say from the perspective of a Yankee Hater, this is the most likable Yankee team since 1996. 

I'm a casual, self-loathing Yankees fan, but a fan nonetheless. This is the first team I've legit cared about since I was a 15 year old watching Big Mo give up the world series to the DBacks in '01. Watching them last night, I felt like a 10 year old watching the '96 team again. It was amazing.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol exactly. 

I think as I've gotten older I also don't hate much anymore.  Except the Patriots.  F*ck them. 

Always this. Forever and ever. And forever after that.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Despising the pats* and everything about their fanbase, I can understand where you're coming from.

A college buddy of mine is a die-hard Boston fan the way I'm NY, and ironically, he's probably my favorite person to watch sports with. Both of us are ultra-aware of the similarities between the two obnoxious fan-bases (pats* and Yanks), and go out of our way to be the complete opposites of those caricatures....sometimes to the point of straight up deriding our own friends and family.

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

To me Greene striking out the last two batters with men on 2nd and 3rd in the first inning was as big if not even bigger than Didi's 3-run homer to tie it up in the bottom of the inning.  Maybe Santana has a different confidence level at 4-0 or 5-0 than he does at 3-0.

Great job bullpen and bring on Cleveland.  I wonder which of our two cagey vets (CC or Tanaka) will get the nod in game 1.  

Good point.  Both situations were huge, but, of course, if Green doesn't strike out those 2 batters with runners on 2nd & 3rd, Didi doesn't get the opportunity to hit the tying homer.  Being 3-0 kept pressure on Santana with the way the Yanks hit.

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

100% agree.

I told my bro real-time as Girardi walked out to pull Severino, that this is Moose in the '03 ALCS all over again. Runners at the corners early in the game, still a 1-swing game but could get out of hand quickly...if Green can get us out of the inning without allowing any more runs the way Moose did in relief in game 7, I had full confidence we'd pull this game out.

8 hours ago, JiF said:

You live in Texas so I will take your word but out of market, the fans that I’ve met are all crazy delusional die hards. 

I know many die hard Yankees fans, but the fair weather crowd is enormous.  Probably because they have the largest fan base in the world.

And yes, I am an angry Mets fan who follows his team during every sh*tty year and not picks and chooses to watch when his team is good. 

yup I agree the out of Market Cowboys fans seem much more dedicated than the fans here in Texas. Both teams cowbots/yankees have huge out of market followings probably unmatched in all of sports .

One thing I will say JIF is its gotta be tough to be both a Mets and Jets fan... tell me you're a Kincks fan And I will truly feel for you're sports sanity. Im a knicks fans so my Yankees are the only way I stay sane LOL

4 hours ago, EM31 said:

Robertson was huge as well . Lets Hope Tanaka can find his form for the remainder of the playoffs because he was all over the place in the regular season. Every pitch counts in the playoffs :)

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

yup I agree the out of Market Cowboys fans seem much more dedicated than the fans here in Texas. Both teams cowbots/yankees have huge out of market followings probably unmatched in all of sports .

One thing I will say JIF is its gotta be tough to be both a Mets and Jets fan... tell me you're a Kincks fan And I will truly feel for you're sports sanity. Im a knicks fans so my Yankees are the only way I stay sane LOL

I’m a Knicks and Islanders fan.  It’s pro sports misery.

Thank god for my Gators!

18 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Robertson was huge as well . Lets Hope Tanaka can find his form for the remainder of the playoffs because he was all over the place in the regular season. Every pitch counts in the playoffs :)

Agreed and to be honest I have more faith in either CC or Tanaka to figure out a way to steal a game-1 and give us some length than I do in Sonny Grey... However, Sonny it is and I hope he has put his last performance behind him because the bullpen is not fully available today.

2 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Brutal start as the bats were completely silent.  CC is going to have to be brilliant because I just cannot see the Yankees getting much off Kluber.  This team has surprised all year, hopefully they have a few more in store.

If they score 2, I'll be amazed.

They have a great pen, but starters have to go at least 4-5.   Gray, WTF happened to him.   Throw a strike

33 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If they score 2, I'll be amazed.

They have a great pen, but starters have to go at least 4-5.   Gray, WTF happened to him.   Throw a strike

The guy is a bum. The Yankees will rue the day they gave up 2 of their top 6 prospects for this fraud. The bullpen pitched 8 2/3 innings the other night. This team desperately needed their starter to at least give them 6 innings. On his best days, he will pitch just well enough to lose a close game. In the playoffs, you need guys with guts, not this guy.

Eh.  No shock there was a let down after that one-game playoff.  Good to see Castro get some hits.  He was flailing against the Twins.  Betances was a monster and they are going to need him if they are going anywhere.  Not a good start, but not the end of the world. Not a fan of the umpiring, but that is typical loser's sour grapes.

Cleveland is the best team in baseball, so the mismatch is not unexpected.

But if Judge and Sanchez are going to keep chasing breaking balls out of the zone the Yanks are going to have no chance to score runs, let alone win a couple of games to make this series interesting. Almost reminds me of the Yanks in the 1976 WS.  They had finally made the postseason after a drought and then ran into a buzzsaw in the Big Red Machine.

I normally don't get too upset about my teams losing, especially the Yankees who I have been fortunate enough to watch win alot, but I went to be so angry at Joe and woke up just as angry.  As great as he managed the WC game he was AWFUL yesterday.

Pulling CC with 1 out and runner on 1st (not even in scoring position).  Then not challenging the foul tip is inexcusable.  Rather the owning it he makes up lame excuses about not having the replay or not wanting to ruin the pitcher's rythmn.  Even pushing Robertson to start the 8th was questionable, he got greedy.  SMH.  Yankees had a golden opportunity to really win this series if they win yesterday and Girardi blew it.

Archived