Sign in to follow this  
Maxman

2017 New York Yankees Thread

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
1 hour ago, SMC said:

RIP, Stick

Incredible what you built once George was banned and you had the freedom to do what you wanted to do

Crap, I hadn't heard.

The guy I would bring in to turn my franchise around.  

On 9/4/2017 at 0:30 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Severino showing he's one of the top 5 pitchers in the AL yet again. Great series for the kids. 

The future is bright.

12 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

His numbers after the all-star break have been absolutely sensational. 

Severino is #1 in the AL in ERA after the all star break.

What's almost as great is Sonny Gray is #2.

If Chapman has his head on straight again, with that bullpen, they really can make some playoff noise.  Severino, Gray, CC and Tanaka is a good 1-4.

Went to Friday's and Sunday's game this weekend.   Judge really looks like he's coming around again.   Not just for the 2 HR, but taking some walks, hitting a nice double, hitting a good sac fly.  He's always going to K a lot, but he looks better.    Sanchez had a monster weekend.  Wow.

Castro is not a good defensive second baseman.  I really think he'll be traded in the offseason if Torres is healthy, and Gleybar will be made into the everyday second baseman.

Yeah, Judge looks like he's coming out of it.  What was killing him was chasing pitches out of the zone and then fouling off his pitch.  Now he's not chasing and crushing his pitch.

I'm just glad he hit 40 because on a personal level for him it would have been awful to end the season at 39 after the start he had.

The funny thing was the idiots at ESPN recently trying to make a ROY horse race with Benintendi and the first thing they say is, "if you don't look at the home runs the stats are similar..."  I'm like, WTF?  Judge has 20 more homers than Benintendi! You can't discount that off the bat.

20 minutes ago, SMC said:

Yeah, Judge looks like he's coming out of it.  What was killing him was chasing pitches out of the zone and then fouling off his pitch.  Now he's not chasing and crushing his pitch.

I'm just glad he hit 40 because on a personal level for him it would have been awful to end the season at 39 after the start he had.

The funny thing was the idiots at ESPN recently trying to make a ROY horse race with Benintendi and the first thing they say is, "if you don't look at the home runs the stats are similar..."  I'm like, WTF?  Judge has 20 more homers than Benintendi! You can't discount that off the bat.

That's moronic.   Judge set the rookie walk record.   #2 all time in rookie HR.   His OPS is 200 points higher, his OBP is 60 points higher.   Benintendi is a better OF, but it's not even like Judge is a stiff in RF.  Judge leads the league in HR, walks and runs scored.  I'll freely admit, it's been a bipolar rookie season, but it's still an amazing rookie season.

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

That's moronic.   Judge set the rookie walk record.   #2 all time in rookie HR.   His OPS is 200 points higher, his OBP is 60 points higher.   Benintendi is a better OF, but it's not even like Judge is a stiff in RF.  Judge leads the league in HR, walks and runs scored.  I'll freely admit, it's been a bipolar rookie season, but it's still an amazing rookie season.

Exactly.  And Judge is 3rd in AL WAR at 6.2 and Benitendi doesn't even rank in the top 100 with a 2.3 WAR.  Bipolar season or not, Judge has had an historic rookie season.

And a good sign of Judge finally coming out of the slump is that both homers were on 2 strike counts.

BTW, and this is crazy, but the Yanks outscored the Jets and Giants combined yesterday.

On 9/7/2017 at 9:55 AM, SMC said:

RIP, Stick

Incredible what you built once George was banned and you had the freedom to do what you wanted to do

One of the best GM's around ever

On 9/11/2017 at 9:58 AM, SMC said:

Judge just hit 2 more, with 6 RBI.   Sanchez hit #31

Yanks went 6-3 on their last long road trip of the season which is great.

Judge looks like he's got his swing back.  Incredible year.  The same for Sanchez who has 31 homers after missing first month.  I'm glad Girardi put them back-to-back again.  That's a lethal combo.

The best thing is, if the Yanks win tonight they'll be back to 15 games over .500.  That means they would have totally eliminated that horrible team-wide slump in July/August when they played like the worst team in baseball.  So now it ends up being .500 ball for the worst part of the season.  Not bad.

12 hours ago, SMC said:

Another great outing by Severino

He won't beat Kluber or Sale, but he should finish 3rd in CY Young.

Gray has been excellent since being picked up as well, they just don't score and make a crap ton of errors for him.  If Tanaka and CC can go 5 innings, 2 runs in the playoffs, this team can make serious noise.  It has the pitching and the bullpen.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, SMC said:

BTW, Yanks remaining schedule is ridiculous.  They have 16 games left, 13 in The Bronx and 3 in Toronto.

I want to win the division but the sux also have an easy schedule and 3 games up so not happening.  Still can't complain tho this was supposed to be a rebuilding year and we're making the playoffs

21 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I want to win the division but the sux also have an easy schedule and 3 games up so not happening.  Still can't complain tho this was supposed to be a rebuilding year and we're making the playoffs

Yeah, I don't see Yanks catching them, Boston isn't losing enough.  

I agree.   I was hoping for 84-86 wins, and some young guys get some good experience.  This year has been great, the only real downer is Bird.   Just hope he learns from this year to become a player.

I think people are in wait-for-postseason mode

Betances needs to fix himself.  It's ridiculous how wild he is.  It seems mental in his inability to control his mechanics.

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

Man, what happened here.

Yanks are having a good season, and it's like, 3 guys chatting about it once every day or 2.

Yea man speaking for myself last couple of weeks been busy.  Was hoping to catch the Sox but man they have won 2 or 3 games in the past week where it looked like they were going to lose but somehow won.  Waiting for the wild card.  Betances needs to right himself quick.  DRob needs to be the 7-8th inning guy if Betances doesnt figure it out quick.  

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

Man, what happened here.

Yanks are having a good season, and it's like, 3 guys chatting about it once every day or 2.

Football took over NYC about 5 years ago.  If this was the early to mid 2000's people wouldn't be shutting up about the Yankees

2 hours ago, SMC said:

I think people are in wait-for-postseason mode

Betances needs to fix himself.  It's ridiculous how wild he is.  It seems mental in his inability to control his mechanics.

It's totally 100% mental for Betances.  Unlike Chapman who had a leg issue contributing to his slump during the season