2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gqxluvx said:

I normally don't get too upset about my teams losing, especially the Yankees who I have been fortunate enough to watch win alot, but I went to be so angry at Joe and woke up just as angry.  As great as he managed the WC game he was AWFUL yesterday.

Pulling CC with 1 out and runner on 1st (not even in scoring position).  Then not challenging the foul tip is inexcusable.  Rather the owning it he makes up lame excuses about not having the replay or not wanting to ruin the pitcher's rythmn.  Even pushing Robertson to start the 8th was questionable, he got greedy.  SMH.  Yankees had a golden opportunity to really win this series if they win yesterday and Girardi blew it.

Honestly first game I've watched end to end all season. And MLB still has the same problems; long stretches of nothingness, incompetent umpires with a strike zone that moves all over the place for both teams, endless commercials.Not sure how you sell that in 2017.

If the big selling point for Girardi is a big brain with a degree form Northwestern, he cannot eff up like that. It's inexcusable. There was no downside to asking for a review there. If you win(and he certainly should have) the inning is over and Lindor(an underrated hitter) gets up the next inning without nobody on base. Makes no sense at all. 

Girardi was properly killed for his 3 blunders (all 3 needed to lose that game in pulling CC, not challenging, going back to Green) and got booed in tonight's intros.  I questioned not going back to Tanaka in the 8th, but it worked out.

Great for Bird to get that game winner off the excellent Miller.  Let's see how Severino pitches.

Tanaka pitched A GEM tonight and you could tell he was feeding off the crowd. 

Bird was CLUTCH with that HR.

Robertson seemed shaky and I was skeptical of Chapman getting all 5 outs, but he did.

Tomorrow night, hopefully no rain, should be INTENSE!!!!!

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I'm nervous that going with Chapman for 5 outs is going to bite us in the ass tonight when he isn't available (or available at less than 100%). 

Chapman has Patrick Ewing sweat glands.  He was melting out there throwing gas.  I think he'll only be available for 1 inning tonight.

Hopefully Severino bounces back and pitches well tonight and the bats come alive so they won't need Chapman.

BTW, I have no problem with Girardi going Roberston-Chapman.  Betances has thoroughly deserved the lack of faith Giardi is giving him.  He is simply not reliable to throw strikes.

Chapman is, at best, good for 1 inning tonight, but you lose yesterday, it's all over.

I think after 10 years, Girardi is tired on NY, I do not think he'll be back. 

Severino can not crap his pants again, the pen is not up to going 8 innings to bail him out.   He has to go at least 6.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Chapman is, at best, good for 1 inning tonight, but you lose yesterday, it's all over.

I think after 10 years, Girardi is tired on NY, I do not think he'll be back. 

Severino can not crap his pants again, the pen is not up to going 8 innings to bail him out.   He has to go at least 6.

If Girardi doesn't return I think he takes a step back and goes in-studio.  He needs a break.  I've always liked Girardi despite what he did on Friday.  Cashman handed him a lot of bad teams near Jeter's end through last year and Girardi always had them over .500.  

3 minutes ago, SMC said:

If Girardi doesn't return I think he takes a step back and goes in-studio.  He needs a break.  I've always liked Girardi despite what he did on Friday.  Cashman handed him a lot of bad teams near Jeter's end through last year and Girardi always had them over .500.  

I think he's an OK manager.   He had a brain fart on a huge stage, but I think he's ok.   I think he gets real tight in pressure situations, and it used to affect the team.   This one is so young and loose it's not as bad.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I think he's an OK manager.   He had a brain fart on a huge stage, but I think he's ok.   I think he gets real tight in pressure situations, and it used to affect the team.   This one is so young and loose it's not as bad.

Considering ALL the egos and dearth of young prospects developed from '08-'15, I think Girardi is a HELL of a manager and there is NO UPGRADE out there that can top him.

NOW that the Yanks are getting Young players coming into their own - Judge, Sanchez, Hicks, Bird, Severino, Montgomery - in addition to some SOLID young Vets - Castro, Didi, Frazier, Headley - and FINALLY a LOADED Bullpen that reclaimed our lost talent (Robertson, Kahnle) it's TOO GOOD of a situation for Girardi to leave. 

I was there last night, and will be there again tonight. Should be an electric atmosphere in the Bronx and let's see if these youngins can SHOCK THE WORLD!

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Considering ALL the egos and dearth of young prospects developed from '08-'15, I think Girardi is a HELL of a manager and there is NO UPGRADE out there that can top him.

NOW that the Yanks are getting Young players coming into their own - Judge, Sanchez, Hicks, Bird, Severino, Montgomery - in addition to some SOLID young Vets - Castro, Didi, Frazier, Headley - and FINALLY a LOADED Bullpen that reclaimed our lost talent (Robertson, Kahnle) it's TOO GOOD of a situation for Girardi to leave. 

I was there last night, and will be there again tonight. Should be an electric atmosphere in the Bronx and let's see if these youngins can SHOCK THE WORLD!

Well, Ok then.

I am a HUGE Yankee fan, and I HOPE THAT they can shock THE WORLD.  Our opinions on GIRARDI differ, but we both want to see the Yankees WIN.   As for a replacement, I DON"T KNOW who else is out there.   I would not be surprised if Joe IS GONE, but TIME WILL TELL.

And, good luck at the game!!  I am very jealous.

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

Well, Ok then.

I am a HUGE Yankee fan, and I HOPE THAT they can shock THE WORLD.  Our opinions on GIRARDI differ, but we both want to see the Yankees WIN.   As for a replacement, I DON"T KNOW who else is out there.   I would not be surprised if Joe IS GONE, but TIME WILL TELL.

And, good luck at the game!!  I am very jealous.

Agree to disagree :)

Just got back from the game. Crowd was NOT as rowdy and loud as last night, but they stepped up when required. 

The Ump WAS EVERYWHERE with Balls and Strikes and gave Cleveland WAAAY mot leeway than they did the Yanks in the strike zone.

Our own fans put TOO MUCH pressure on Judge for a HR @ EVERY at Bat, you can tell he's pressing, but his RBA double was HUGE!

Indians DRAINED their bullpen and we got 6 SOLID innings from Louis. Betances has ZERO control and confidence, it shows.

Kahnlee stepped up BIG to close the game and save Chap-MAN for Wed night. 

ONTO OHIO!!!!!

:D

10 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Agree to disagree :)

Just got back from the game. Crowd was NOT as rowdy and loud as last night, but they stepped up when required. 

The Ump WAS EVERYWHERE with Balls and Strikes and gave Cleveland WAAAY mot leeway than they did the Yanks in the strike zone.

Our own fans put TOO MUCH pressure on Judge for a HR @ EVERY at Bat, you can tell he's pressing, but his RBA double was HUGE!

Indians DRAINED their bullpen and we got 6 SOLID innings from Louis. Betances has ZERO control and confidence, it shows.

Kahnlee stepped up BIG to close the game and save Chap-MAN for Wed night. 

ONTO OHIO!!!!!

:D

Totally agree.   Watching on TV, the ump's strikezone was all over the place.

Sev went 7 strong, so the only other guy to throw was Kahn.

Yanks were totally able to hurt Cleveland's bullpen, but they all have a day off, and it's game 5, so everyone is ready.   Having 2 days off for Chapman is huge after throwing 2 full innings, same with Robertson.   I didn't really understand Joe even having Chapman warm up yesterday, it was a 4 run game and Kahn was cruising, but that is nitpicking.   Kahn was really, really good, going 2 innings with 5 strikeouts and only throwing 22 pitches, so with a day off he could even go an inning. 

Judge is pressing a bit, his double was huge.  He also has had some strikes called that simply were not strikes.

Game 5!

Great bounceback game for Severino so now he knows going forward he can be an ace in the postseason and not just the regular season.

How resilient is this team?  Facing 3 elimination games in a week and win them all.  Perfect result in resting Chapman, Green and Roberston.  With 1 day off, Kahnle will be available as well.  Betances should be deactivated and if the Yanks advance he shouldn't be on the postseason roster.  You can't put a relief pitcher out there who doesn't know where the ball is going.  It's all mental.  He can control his pitches but he's allowing his mechanics to get out of wack.

And, I think Girardi pushed all the right buttons there.  He let Severino finish the 7th when I was afraid he was going to micromanage and pull him after 2 outs (that NEVER makes sens to me. Let the pitcher finish the inning if he's still dealing and get the feel-good applause).  I also agree with having Chapman up in the 9th.  Kahnle was great but Girardi would've needed to move quickly if things fell apart in the 9th.  Two quick singles or a walk and Cleveland is in striking distance.

As for Judge, I think he got some back strike 3's last night.  A couple were low but because he's tall the ump thought they were strikes.  I don't mind the called strike 3.  I hate the chasing and he wasn't chasing last night.  He had a great at bat against Bauer when he hit the huge double. Worked the count from 0-2. 

I have been complaining about the strike zone all along. Bird struck out on 4 balls on Friday night. I think the zone has been big and it is to the detriment of the Yankee relievers because they are mostly power pitchers throwing cheese and aren't painting sh*t. OTOH, it probably helped Tanaka.

That stupid box that they put on screen has to go too. It has no depth and the camera is at an angle so literally every ball has to pass "through" the box at some point. It is just an annoyance and distraction. Don't get me started on the cliched announcing. Everything is the most important thing. You know what is important? Scoring more runs than the other team.

Big game for Severino and saves him and us wondering for an entire year if he is going to get tight in the postseason. I stick with Betances. He has been like this before, but he can heat up quickly and be lights out. With all the Girardi complaints on Friday night, mine (that nobody shared) was pulling Kahnle so quickly. The game was already tied. Kahnle was pitching great, they can't let him throw more than 8 pitches? I didn't want to extend Betances because his control was delicate and I think throwing an extra inning and getting touched up makes him regress. He looked great the first two innings and then they leave him out there to throw 10 more pitches than Chapman, Green and Robertson? Almost 30 more than Kahnle? Especially when Kahnle didn't pitch on Thursday night, but Betances had thrown a dominant inning.

At work, feeling like balls right now, but totally worth it for the game last night. The crowd (at least where I was) was awesome. High energy, loud, and really funny from first pitch to the last.

The only downside to the crowd was that the vast majority of the population didn't give Girardi an inch. They were screaming to pull Sevvy after the 6th (which I thought would have been a straight up disaster), and when he didn't, they really started sounding off against him. To me, Sevvy was still throwing cheese, and we needed to give the pen a break for a big game tomorrow night where CC is gonna be on short rest. CC's probably not going to go 8 strong, but thanks to the way Sevvy balled last night and Girardi handled the pen, we won't need him to.

Couple of other things:
- I firmly believe that my section's BAUER chants rattled the hell out of him. We started it with one out in the second, and we were able to run him off the field later that inning. So, you're welcome, yanks fans.

- The strike zones from game 2 on have been straight up retarded, and I don't understand how no one in the media is complaining about it. It's hurting our arms more than theirs. Terry's smart enough to take advantage of that kind of sh*t too, because I can't even count the amount of first pitch strikes that were called on our guys when they were clearly wide. It's almost like they were throwing them on purpose....and if so, kudos to them. Our guys were behind in the count almost every time because of terribly umping.

- A few of you made this point but I want to take this further: it's not just Judge that's pressing...it's also Gary. Every single time up, the fans are looking for a HR out of them...and it's clear they're hearing it. They're taking cuts every time up that are sometimes completely unnecessary. Even the Judge 2 RBI double was great, but from my seat it didn't look like a pure swing.

- My buddy really likes Betances, and I get it, but I'm perfectly fine not seeing him tomorrow night. Let him chill and bring him into a low pressure situation early next series if we get there. He's seriously lost out there.

- I love our pen. If CC can get out of the 4th or 5th tomorrow night with 2 or less runs, I'm loving our chances.

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have been complaining about the strike zone all along. Bird struck out on 4 balls on Friday night. I think the zone has been big and it is to the detriment of the Yankee relievers because they are mostly power pitchers throwing cheese and aren't painting sh*t. OTOH, it probably helped Tanaka.

That stupid box that they put on screen has to go too. It has no depth and the camera is at an angle so literally every ball has to pass "through" the box at some point. It is just an annoyance and distraction. Don't get me started on the cliched announcing. Everything is the most important thing. You know what is important? Scoring more runs than the other team.

Big game for Severino and saves him and us wondering for an entire year if he is going to get tight in the postseason. I stick with Betances. He has been like this before, but he can heat up quickly and be lights out. With all the Girardi complaints on Friday night, mine (that nobody shared) was pulling Kahnle so quickly. The game was already tied. Kahnle was pitching great, they can't let him throw more than 8 pitches? I didn't want to extend Betances because his control was delicate and I think throwing an extra inning and getting touched up makes him regress. He looked great the first two innings and then they leave him out there to throw 10 more pitches than Chapman, Green and Robertson? Almost 30 more than Kahnle? Especially when Kahnle didn't pitch on Thursday night, but Betances had thrown a dominant inning.

Yes, I agree with you on Kahnle, but Girardi sticking with Betances on Friday is indicative of his minimal faith in him in this sense--if he has a good Betances he'll stick with him because he doesn't know if a bad Betances will show up next.  Plus, Betances had not pitched much in the postseason and was the most rested of the relievers so he could go long if he threw strikes.  Of course, he can't consistently.

I'm done with Betances.  Don't forget, he blew their chances of making the postseason last year with all his September blown saves.  He was awful this September as well despite throwing the fewest innings of his career.  It's all mental and he needs a sports shrink.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:22 AM, SMC said:

I like Girardi as well as a player and a person hes just a great guy all around  but over the years hes made some very unorthodox moves with both the staff and the line up. I never understood why he continued to lead off with an older Derek Jeter when Jeter was an obvious number 2 hitter while he had Gardner batting 9th. Jeter was always the type of hitter who knew where he had to hit the ball to move runners over he was a natural at hitting to the opposite field which made him a great number 2 hitter. Now hes doing more bat sh*t crazy crap with Judge hitting him second when he would do much much better in the 5th or 6th slot adding more protection in the line up. It just makes no sense at all especially when you face a great pitcher and you may wind up leading off the 4th with the lead off hitter again. While facing a great pitcher some times you have to play small ball to generate runs and Girardi's line up does not favor that at all. Waiting for the 2 run or 3 run homer will lose you a big game.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Yes, I agree with you on Kahnle, but Girardi sticking with Betances on Friday is indicative of his minimal faith in him in this sense--if he has a good Betances he'll stick with him because he doesn't know if a bad Betances will show up next.  Plus, Betances had not pitched much in the postseason and was the most rested of the relievers so he could go long if he threw strikes.  Of course, he can't consistently.

I'm done with Betances.  Don't forget, he blew their chances of making the postseason last year with all his September blown saves.  He was awful this September as well despite throwing the fewest innings of his career.  It's all mental and he needs a sports shrink.

Eh.  I am not so sure it is only mental.  He is a big dude, tiny differences in mechanics can be magnified.  He was a monster in game 1 and crushed the top 6 of their order on Friday.  If you don't trust him, I don't understand why you extend him to 3 innings.  Trouble is he is either great or can't throw strikes - he is never just okay.

Went to the game last night and it was loud when it needed to be but I was at the Wild Card game and THAT was LOUD.  

I like Girardi for the most part but he does get tight at times and manages tight as well.  Not sure who else is out there but its not just about the Yankees wanting him back, he may not want to be back either.  10 years is a long time.

Great bounce back by Sevy.  The home plate umpire was awful, the strike zones have been terrible all series.  Judge in particular is getting called out on some questionable strike 3's.  

Where I was sitting the crowd was just killing Jay Bruce from the 1st inning to the ninth Jay Bruce Sucks Jay Bruce Sucks.  It was funny.

Anyway onto game 5.  Kluber will not be off like game 2 just gotta hope CC matches.  Hopefully Yankees can get the lead first as the pressure will become immense on Cleveland if they are behind.  Let's go Yankees!

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  I am not so sure it is only mental.  He is a big dude, tiny differences in mechanics can be magnified.  He was a monster in game 1 and crushed the top 6 of their order on Friday.  If you don't trust him, I don't understand why you extend him to 3 innings.  Trouble is he is either great or can't throw strikes - he is never just okay.

The bolded is what I was referring to.  He is feast or famine so if he's feasting, you ride it out.  That's why go 3 innings.

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

The bolded is what I was referring to.  He is feast or famine so if he's feasting, you ride it out.  That's why go 3 innings.

Oh yeah.  That makes sense.  My issue was less with having him go past 2 and more with doing that after pulling Kahnle so damn quick.  I understand it is easier to pull a guy when you have Chapman and Betances in the pen, but 8 pitches?  It's not like they had a lead.  

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Oh yeah.  That makes sense.  My issue was less with having him go past 2 and more with doing that after pulling Kahnle so damn quick.  I understand it is easier to pull a guy when you have Chapman and Betances in the pen, but 8 pitches?  It's not like they had a lead.  

We're not in disagreement.  I was just pointed out the rationale (which I disagreed with Girardi on).

That said, Girardi made like 5 errors that directly led to the game 2 loss.  It was like a death spiral of Dusty Bakerness.

6 hours ago, SMC said:

We're not in disagreement.  I was just pointed out the rationale (which I disagreed with Girardi on).

That said, Girardi made like 5 errors that directly led to the game 2 loss.  It was like a death spiral of Dusty Bakerness.

Agreed.

Rumor today is the Mets will hire him if the Yankess don't bring him back.

More importantly let's go Yankees in game 5. Would be amazing if they come back and pull off the win. This team is so much fun to watch.

The Indians record in deciding games is terrible. Hopefully that streak continues.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:04 AM, NoBowles said:

Tanaka and Severino are a slam dunk lock to win at home. We are going back to Cleveland for a game 5, and we won’t blow it this time. I’m highly confident we are winning this series, now it will take 5 instead of 4.

This was the easiest $50k I have ever made :)

Archived