2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

10 hours ago, EM31 said:

Indians fielding in this series has been very iffy

They really threw the ball around.    Hicks hit to the outfield was tough, that ball really had english on it.   But how many errors did they make the last 3 games?   9?   How many un earned runs?

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapman is a beast when he's on.   It's not the 102 fastball, it's the 87 mph slider.    When he throws that for strikes, wow.   The phrase, "The batter has no chance" is over used, but when is throwing that for strikes, it is unbelievable tough for a batter.   You have to gear up for 100+, and then 87 with movement.  All you can do is take it and hope it's a ball. 

On 10/9/2017 at 10:22 AM, SMC said:

If Girardi doesn't return I think he takes a step back and goes in-studio.  He needs a break.  I've always liked Girardi despite what he did on Friday.  Cashman handed him a lot of bad teams near Jeter's end through last year and Girardi always had them over .500.  

I'll give him credit, he did a good job with games 3, 4, 5.   Nitpicking, I would have used Kahn for the 8th last night, but Joe was proved correct in how he guided them to the ALCS.

Houston, tough matchup.   We haven't played well against them for 2+ years, they are a bit more rested, and last time we went against Keuchel in the playoffs it didn't go well.   Then again, we just beat on the probably Cy Young winner 2X in 5 days.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:04 AM, NoBowles said:

Tanaka and Severino are a slam dunk lock to win at home. We are going back to Cleveland for a game 5, and we won’t blow it this time. I’m highly confident we are winning this series, now it will take 5 instead of 4.

Well well good call.

Didi will go down as one of the best trades in MLB history.  Just wow.  Houston has our number and we have really struggled playing them but this team has been resilient all year.  Another fun week ahead.

Girardi is off the hook.

What an incredible series.  I might have gone Kahnle in the 8th there, but I couldn't complain about Chapman there for the 6 out save because he was rested.  The only reason his velocity went down in 9th was because of the 30 minute top of the 9th.  Gardner with the amazing AB (same he did against Miller). They needed to score there for Chapman to be able to just pitch in the 9th and not worry about protecting a 1 run lead.

Didi had a wild series at the plate in the postseason.  4-19 with 3 of them homers.  Crazy.

The pressure got to Cleveland at the plate and on the field.  Best defensive team in baseball and they couldn't field this series because Yanks kept on pressuring them.

First time I think the Yanks can win it all this year.  Astros will certainly be tough and they were 5-2 against the Yanks (all early).  But Yanks hit the Stros hard this season (worst ERA for Stros against any other team), but the Yanks couldn't pitch to them.  With the rotation and bullpen, this could be different.

Also, people talk about how disciplined at the plate the Astros are.  Cleveland was the second most disciplined team at the plate and the Yanks had them striking out a ton.

Lastly, this is the first Yankee team ever to win 4 elimination games in a single postseason.  And they did it all in 9 days.

59 minutes ago, SMC said:

Girardi is off the hook.

What an incredible series.  I might have gone Kahnle in the 8th there, but I couldn't complain about Chapman there for the 6 out save because he was rested.  The only reason his velocity went down in 9th was because of the 30 minute top of the 9th.  Gardner with the amazing AB (same he did against Miller). They needed to score there for Chapman to be able to just pitch in the 9th and not worry about protecting a 1 run lead.

Didi had a wild series at the plate in the postseason.  4-19 with 3 of them homers.  Crazy.

The pressure got to Cleveland at the plate and on the field.  Best defensive team in baseball and they couldn't field this series because Yanks kept on pressuring them.

First time I think the Yanks can win it all this year.  Astros will certainly be tough and they were 5-2 against the Yanks (all early).  But Yanks hit the Stros hard this season (worst ERA for Stros against any other team), but the Yanks couldn't pitch to them.  With the rotation and bullpen, this could be different.

Also, people talk about how disciplined at the plate the Astros are.  Cleveland was the second most disciplined team at the plate and the Yanks had them striking out a ton.

Lastly, this is the first Yankee team ever to win 4 elimination games in a single postseason.  And they did it all in 9 days.

I think Houston wins game 1, and that's ok.    Keuchel vs Gray is not a good match up, but at this point, why not us?

Judge has to come out of it, but it would be great if the umps only called actual strikes, strikes.  I get pissed at him for chasing, but when crap out of the strike zone is called, what's he going to do?   I agree with you on Kahn for the 8th, but even if it didn't work out I wouldn't have killed Joe for that.   Betances imploding is making his job a bit tougher.  

38 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I think Houston wins game 1, and that's ok.    Keuchel vs Gray is not a good match up, but at this point, why not us?

Judge has to come out of it, but it would be great if the umps only called actual strikes, strikes.  I get pissed at him for chasing, but when crap out of the strike zone is called, what's he going to do?   I agree with you on Kahn for the 8th, but even if it didn't work out I wouldn't have killed Joe for that.   Betances imploding is making his job a bit tougher.  

Yeah, Yanks dropping G1 is no biggie because they've shown they can come from behind in a series.

Agree completely on Judge's strikezone.  He was called out on a bunch of strike 3s that were completely out of the zone.  Fortunately, he hasn't chased as much.  The key is hitting the pitches he can crush rather than fouling them off.

And, yep, Betances has screwed things up, but having Chapman, Robertson, Green, Kahle and Warren is a damn good bullpen.  Those 5 can carry them all the way.

This felt like one of those series from twenty years ago when Seattle or Oakland or whoever would have a better team on paper and then bam pinstripes. Bird taking Miller deep was one of those classic Walken speech in Poolhall Junkies moments we used to take for granted and can safely look forward to taking for granted again. God I love being a Yankees fan.

18 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This felt like one of those series from twenty years ago when Seattle or Oakland or whoever would have a better team on paper and then bam pinstripes. Bird taking Miller deep was one of those classic Walken speech in Poolhall Junkies moments we used to take for granted and can safely look forward to taking for granted again. God I love being a Yankees fan.

Great movie!!!  More so than many might think because, having wasted quite a few years in pool rooms myself, spending them with 9-ball and Chicago grinders and low lives, I can attest to the authenticity of some of the characters in the movie.  Walken is always lights out even in that stupid ping-pong movie he did a few years ago.

In any event I just heard the the Astros might activate another bullpen arm for this series and if so, the first name that was mentioned on the MLB networks was Tyler Clippard...Please god make it so.

Aaron Judge has so much power it is ridiculous. Even his pop flies and mis-hits can often leave the ballpark.  I think Judge needs to shorten up on his grip and move closer to the plate.  I am surprised nobody else is suggesting this.  he will still be an above average  power threat even with these adjustments.

This particular Yankees team is very easy to root for.  Great job by Cashman all around.  Now he needs to go out and get us another starter this off-season.  That, and figure out that bringing CC back for a year or two is probably both a smart and a popular move.  I want to continue to receive the benefits of the rehab episode we went through with him.

On an aside, Estevan Florial (CF, AA) and Chance Adams (RHP, AAA) had great years and were honored as the organization's top prospects for the season.

I'm glad Cashman went for it this year while protecting the top prospects (I, admittedly, wavered on the issue at the trade deadline), so we have this surprise postseason run now with more young players on the way.

The interesting thing was that 2019 was viewed as the year to truly compete, which lines up with Gleyber Torres (recovering from arm surgery) Adams and maybe even Florial coming up, but they've competed early.  Also, 2019 was viewed as the big FA year with Harper and Machado available, but, really, the Yanks would only be looking at top pitchers then with money to spend.  Strangely, Harper and Machado don't fit with this team because there's top players/prospects at their positions.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

On an aside, Estevan Florial (CF, AA) and Chance Adams (RHP, AAA) had great years and were honored as the organization's top prospects for the season.

I'm glad Cashman went for it this year while protecting the top prospects (I, admittedly, wavered on the issue at the trade deadline), so we have this surprise postseason run now with more young players on the way.

The interesting thing was that 2019 was viewed as the year to truly compete, which lines up with Gleyber Torres (recovering from arm surgery) Adams and maybe even Florial coming up, but they've competed early.  Also, 2019 was viewed as the big FA year with Harper and Machado available, but, really, the Yanks would only be looking at top pitchers then with money to spend.  Strangely, Harper and Machado don't fit with this team because there's top players/prospects at their positions.

I agree that with our current crop of kids I cannot see us giving Bryce Harper the $500M contract that many were speculating he could get from the Yankees.

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

I agree that with our current crop of kids I cannot see us giving Bryce Harper the $500M contract that many were speculating he could get from the Yankees.

Yep, the Yanks don't need big-ticket bats the way their young players are lining up.  

If they weren't run by the Coupons, the Mets should be the ones who target Harper and Machado because they're pitching should be in order again by 2019.

Tough loss and watching the hitters chase pitches out of the zone was frustrating.

But I 100% supported Girardi taking out Severino.  That wild pitch then windmilling his arm combined with getting hit by a liner.  They can't be jeopardizing this kid.  So long as the MRI is fine then it will be OK.

Tough game.   The series is 2 games of inches.

Bird thrown out at home, Gardner at 3rd.   Both were out, both were close.   3B coach should have never sent Gardner there.

Head hits a ball to the top of the wall, caught.   Houston hits a ball 2 feet over Judge, HR.  

Throw beats Altuve to the plate, Sanchez drops it.    That's your series so far.

Oh, and we got Gray, and Houston got Verlander.   To be fair, I thought it was desperate at the time for Houston, but he's been lights out since they got him.   Gray is a 5 inning guy who won't challenge in the strike zone.

EM31, no, the most is 2 100 win teams, which the Yanks did in 2001.

Another tough loss, but being down 0-2 in a best of 7 and going home is not that tough of a spot.  Yankee hitters need to stop chasing pitches out of the zone.

I feel good about CC tonight and think the bats will come alive.

Don't know if you guys watch the postgame (I watch them all) and ARod, Big Papi, Keith Hernandez and Frank Thomas are great.  They showed the interview with Todd Frazier who explained his pointing to the stands during his homer run.  His NJ family didn't fit in the team family section so they were seated in the upper deck near right field and they were unhappy.  So Frazier hit the homer and was pointing at them and later said that they're good luck charms and won't be upgraded for here on out.

20 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Nice bounce back last night as CC has been outstanding in the postseason.  

I keep saying this but I really want this guy's career to get the respect it deserves when he's done. It's probably not going to happen since nobody really respects sh*t about **** anymore, but Sabathia's been the man for a loooooong time during arguably the toughest time to be a ML SP ever. 

22 hours ago, SMC said:

Don't know if you guys watch the postgame (I watch them all) and ARod, Big Papi, Keith Hernandez and Frank Thomas are great.  They showed the interview with Todd Frazier who explained his pointing to the stands during his homer run.  His NJ family didn't fit in the team family section so they were seated in the upper deck near right field and they were unhappy.  So Frazier hit the homer and was pointing at them and later said that they're good luck charms and won't be upgraded for here on out.

Only thing I don't like is that they take turns asking questions and spend more than half the interview saying - "Todd, Big Papi here"  "Todd, this is Keith Hernandez here"

Incredible comeback.  Yanks had a 12 AB stretch in the 7th and 8th innings, going 7-10 with a walk and sac fly.

I was at an event last night and following the game secretly on my phone.  Gray was great but he never gets run support.  Judge kicking off with a mammoth homer changed the whole completion of the game.  He really is the team and the Stadium's catalyst.  They come alive when he does something great.  They keep saying that the Stadium now sounds like it did from 1995-2001.

EM31, yeah, the baserunning has been suspect, but Didi did a great job scoring on the Sanchez double.  It was great to see him not only get the go ahead double, but the sac fly to make it 4-2.  That was huge there because Yankees have been striking out in that situation.

SenorGato, I think CC has a couple of more years left and he'll be in the 270 win range and then they'll be talking about HOF.  

27Dom, I think they do that because the interviews are only audio.  The interviewee doesn't know who is asking the question unless the person says who it is.

18 minutes ago, SMC said:

Incredible comeback.  Yanks had a 12 AB stretch in the 7th and 8th innings, going 7-10 with a walk and sac fly.

I was at an event last night and following the game secretly on my phone.  Gray was great but he never gets run support.  Judge kicking off with a mammoth homer changed the whole completion of the game.  He really is the team and the Stadium's catalyst.  They come alive when he does something great.  They keep saying that the Stadium now sounds like it did from 1995-2001.

EM31, yeah, the baserunning has been suspect, but Didi did a great job scoring on the Sanchez double.  It was great to see him not only get the go ahead double, but the sac fly to make it 4-2.  That was huge there because Yankees have been striking out in that situation.

SenorGato, I think CC has a couple of more years left and he'll be in the 270 win range and then they'll be talking about HOF.  

27Dom, I think they do that because the interviews are only audio.  The interviewee doesn't know who is asking the question unless the person says who it is.

Totally correct on the interviews.

CC is still real good, but he's really a 5+ inning guy now.   I'd love for the Yanks to bring him back on a 1-2 year deal.   He's a leader in the clubhouse, he helps with all those young guys.   Tanaka, we'll see what he wants, I think he opts out, and if he wants 6 years 150 million, I let him go. 

Archived