2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/10/2017 at 2:15 PM, SMC said:

No.  He's in his 3rd season now.  I do remember him having a limit in his first season and that was lifted in his second season, but since he was so awful last year and moved to the bullpen he didn't hit the limit.

Severino probably has an unofficial limit at around 190 innings.

So they made Jeter Retirement on Mother's Day a doubleheader vs. Houston. 

I've never been to a double header except for once in Wrigley vs. the Mets back in the summer of '98 and we stayed in the stadium since we were clueless 18 year olds (3 Mets and a Yank) doing a cross-country road trip and knew nothing of Chicago.

Can you exit and re-enter Yankee Stadium for a doubleheader? or do you have to be in there for all 8+ hours from the 2:05pm start to the estimated 10pm finish of the night game?

19 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I will be absolutely shocked if this team doesn't win the World Series this year.

The Astros?

Look I'm elated by the great start too but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  The Yankees might not even win their division 

6 hours ago, thadude said:

The Astros?

Look I'm elated by the great start too but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  The Yankees might not even win their division 

Astros look really good.

Good starters.   Some real good bull pen guys.

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Astros look really good.

Good starters.   Some real good bull pen guys.

Correa is a young Arod and Keuchel might be the best pitcher in baseball.  Adding McCann as a catcher just further solidified everything.

15 minutes ago, thadude said:

Correa is a young Arod and Keuchel might be the best pitcher in baseball.  Adding McCann as a catcher just further solidified everything.

I think Beltran was a nice pick up too.

Man, you are going to have 2 gassed bullpens come tomorrow.  This with Chapman going on the DL today/yesterday.

10 hours ago, thadude said:

The Astros?

Yankees. They are 100% winning the World Series, take it to the bank.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Wow.  When you have a double header, and your starters go a combined 4 innings.  Ouch

Yankees lost 3 out of 4 but the Astros are the best team in mlb and the Yankees were in all of the games

22 minutes ago, thadude said:

Yankees lost 3 out of 4 but the Astros are the best team in mlb and the Yankees were in all of the games

Look, it happens.  I'm not down on the Yanks.   Everyone loses 8 out of 10 at some point.  They aren't going to win 110 games, and Judge was not going to hit 60 home runs.

But when the bullpen has to throw 14 innings in one day, that's a mark that'll stick.  Tanaka was throwing BP.  Those 1st two home runs...    Credit the Astros for hitting them, but 90 mph, heart of the plate, just above the knees is not going to get it done.

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

Look, it happens.  I'm not down on the Yanks.   Everyone loses 8 out of 10 at some point.  They aren't going to win 110 games, and Judge was not going to hit 60 home runs.

But when the bullpen has to throw 14 innings in one day, that's a mark that'll stick.  Tanaka was throwing BP.  Those 1st two home runs...    Credit the Astros for hitting them, but 90 mph, heart of the plate, just above the knees is not going to get it done.

Tanaka was horrible yesterday but the crazy thing is he made a couple pitches in that game that literally stunned me.  That curve ball he threw that was in on the batter's hands and then curved inside into the strike zone to strike the guy out -- that was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in my life

I thought this was a 85 win team with a Wildcard at the beginning of the season and I'm sticking with that

13 hours ago, thadude said:

Tanaka was horrible yesterday but the crazy thing is he made a couple pitches in that game that literally stunned me.  That curve ball he threw that was in on the batter's hands and then curved inside into the strike zone to strike the guy out -- that was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in my life

I thought this was a 85 win team with a Wildcard at the beginning of the season and I'm sticking with that

The hot start has thrown people.

85-88 was where I was hoping.   Maybe a shot at a Wildcard

On 5/15/2017 at 11:52 AM, thadude said:

This.  The Astros are a very good team.

That the Yanks lost 3 of 4 and were still in 1st place after the series is a good sign.

Tanaka and CC are the key, like we all thought going in.  Tanaka has been uneven while CC has been dreadful.  If Tanaka becomes consistently good and CC simply decent, then the Yanks will be alright.

I don't trust the O's pitching and the Red Sox's hitting is completely punchless.  The Yanks should be still competing by July.  Will be interesting to see what Cashman does then in the trade market.  They definitely need a front line arm, but don't know if they'd be willing to give up a top prospect for it.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

This.  The Astros are a very good team.

That the Yanks lost 3 of 4 and were still in 1st place after the series is a good sign.

Tanaka and CC are the key, like we all thought going in.  Tanaka has been uneven while CC has been dreadful.  If Tanaka becomes consistently good and CC simply decent, then the Yanks will be alright.

I don't trust the O's pitching and the Red Sox's hitting is completely punchless.  The Yanks should be still competing by July.  Will be interesting to see what Cashman does then in the trade market.  They definitely need a front line arm, but don't know if they'd be willing to give up a top prospect for it.

Our pitching has come back down to earth but the good news is O's pitching isn't great either

2 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Nice bounce back the last two nights after a tough weekend against the stros.  

Yeah, they righted the ship.  That offense can be really good.  But I hate Headley on the field (his average has dropped too, so now he's approaching negative territory).

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Yeah, they righted the ship.  That offense can be really good.  But I hate Headley on the field (his average has dropped too, so now he's approaching negative territory).

He'll be gone in 2 years.  Gleyber Torres will be the starter at SS and someone will move to 3B (probably Didi)

33 minutes ago, thadude said:

He'll be gone in 2 years.  Gleyber Torres will be the starter at SS and someone will move to 3B (probably Didi)

That's what I'm thinking too.  Maybe even as soon as next year.

About being at 85-88 wins, it will be interesting if the Yanks are at that pace in July.  Prior, recent history, shows that Cash would not make a deal at that point (he held on to Sanchez, Judge) when the Blue Jays overtook them in the division and they fell to the WC.

If the Yanks are in range for 90-95 and a division title, I think Cash makes a move for a top pitcher.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

About being at 85-88 wins, it will be interesting if the Yanks are at that pace in July.  Prior, recent history, shows that Cash would not make a deal at that point (he held on to Sanchez, Judge) when the Blue Jays overtook them in the division and they fell to the WC.

If the Yanks are in range for 90-95 and a division title, I think Cash makes a move for a top pitcher.

Who is even out there?

Thing is, they have so many OF prospects, I could see them moving one or 2.

21 hours ago, SMC said:

Headley is definitely the weak link. Long term they will have to see if Bird is the answer at 1b and long term DH should be easy to figure out.

Otherwise it will be about the rotation. But this team is looking good.

18 hours ago, SMC said:

A lot of ifs but Severino and Pineda, if they keep pitching the way they have they will be alright. CC can be the 4th (I know he is hot and cold).

Although with championship aspirations (if they end up having them) you would want a more solid # 2 guy behind Tanaka. Especially since Tanaka can opt out of his contract next season.

20 hours ago, chirorob said:

Who is even out there?

Thing is, they have so many OF prospects, I could see them moving one or 2.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

A lot of ifs but Severino and Pineda, if they keep pitching the way they have they will be alright. CC can be the 4th (I know he is hot and cold).

Although with championship aspirations (if they end up having them) you would want a more solid # 2 guy behind Tanaka. Especially since Tanaka can opt out of his contract next season.

The name that is being thrown out there to be behind Tanaka is Gerrit Cole of the Pirates.  He's a good pitcher having a good year on a bad team (2.84 ERA, .219 BAA, 1.02 WHIP).  He's a better option to the other name thrown out there, Jose Quintana of the White Sox, who's having a bad year on a bad team (4.38 ERA, .253 BAA, 1.42 WHIP).

The Yanks would definitely be unloading one or more of the OF prospects in any trade because, like mentioned, there are so many.

We're still 2 months away from this being an issue because anything could happen in that time.  But if they're division leaders still then, Cash will make a move for the rotation.  They can survive with Headley and 1B because the offense is so dynamic.  Top of rotation pitching addition is the key.

On 5/18/2017 at 4:02 PM, SMC said:

I wouldn't trade for a top pitcher unless one of our starting pitchers got hurt or just stopped being effective.  I know our rotation has come down to earth last couple weeks but CC, Severino etc are still effective even if they are not consistently good.

On 5/19/2017 at 10:54 AM, Maxman said:

There's going to be some top starting pitchers available in the offseason (Darvish, Arrieta (yeah I know he's having a bad year so far but will probably bounce back) plus there's the Otani kid from Japan who is probably going to be even better than Tanaka.  No need to give up prospects and trade unless we get injuries or the rotation simply starts to suck.

Archived