Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Maxman

2017 New York Yankees Thread

Recommended Posts

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
10 hours ago, thadude said:

The Astros?

 

Look I'm elated by the great start too but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  The Yankees might not even win their division 

Yankees. They are 100% winning the World Series, take it to the bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did the Yankees have Brett Hull pose for the Jeter monument? Is he a big Jeets fan? Bang the same chick at some point? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Wow.  When you have a double header, and your starters go a combined 4 innings.  Ouch

Yankees lost 3 out of 4 but the Astros are the best team in mlb and the Yankees were in all of the games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, thadude said:

Yankees lost 3 out of 4 but the Astros are the best team in mlb and the Yankees were in all of the games

Look, it happens.  I'm not down on the Yanks.   Everyone loses 8 out of 10 at some point.  They aren't going to win 110 games, and Judge was not going to hit 60 home runs.

But when the bullpen has to throw 14 innings in one day, that's a mark that'll stick.  Tanaka was throwing BP.  Those 1st two home runs...    Credit the Astros for hitting them, but 90 mph, heart of the plate, just above the knees is not going to get it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chirorob said:

Look, it happens.  I'm not down on the Yanks.   Everyone loses 8 out of 10 at some point.  They aren't going to win 110 games, and Judge was not going to hit 60 home runs.

But when the bullpen has to throw 14 innings in one day, that's a mark that'll stick.  Tanaka was throwing BP.  Those 1st two home runs...    Credit the Astros for hitting them, but 90 mph, heart of the plate, just above the knees is not going to get it done.

Tanaka was horrible yesterday but the crazy thing is he made a couple pitches in that game that literally stunned me.  That curve ball he threw that was in on the batter's hands and then curved inside into the strike zone to strike the guy out -- that was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in my life

 

I thought this was a 85 win team with a Wildcard at the beginning of the season and I'm sticking with that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, thadude said:

Tanaka was horrible yesterday but the crazy thing is he made a couple pitches in that game that literally stunned me.  That curve ball he threw that was in on the batter's hands and then curved inside into the strike zone to strike the guy out -- that was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in my life

 

I thought this was a 85 win team with a Wildcard at the beginning of the season and I'm sticking with that

The hot start has thrown people.

85-88 was where I was hoping.   Maybe a shot at a Wildcard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2017 at 11:52 AM, thadude said:

Yankees lost 3 out of 4 but the Astros are the best team in mlb and the Yankees were in all of the games

This.  The Astros are a very good team.

That the Yanks lost 3 of 4 and were still in 1st place after the series is a good sign.

Tanaka and CC are the key, like we all thought going in.  Tanaka has been uneven while CC has been dreadful.  If Tanaka becomes consistently good and CC simply decent, then the Yanks will be alright.

I don't trust the O's pitching and the Red Sox's hitting is completely punchless.  The Yanks should be still competing by July.  Will be interesting to see what Cashman does then in the trade market.  They definitely need a front line arm, but don't know if they'd be willing to give up a top prospect for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chirorob said:

The hot start has thrown people.

85-88 was where I was hoping.   Maybe a shot at a Wildcard

85-88 gets us a wildcard.  We still lead the Al east in spite losing 3 out of 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SMC said:

This.  The Astros are a very good team.

That the Yanks lost 3 of 4 and were still in 1st place after the series is a good sign.

Tanaka and CC are the key, like we all thought going in.  Tanaka has been uneven while CC has been dreadful.  If Tanaka becomes consistently good and CC simply decent, then the Yanks will be alright.

I don't trust the O's pitching and the Red Sox's hitting is completely punchless.  The Yanks should be still competing by July.  Will be interesting to see what Cashman does then in the trade market.  They definitely need a front line arm, but don't know if they'd be willing to give up a top prospect for it.

Our pitching has come back down to earth but the good news is O's pitching isn't great either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Nice bounce back the last two nights after a tough weekend against the stros.  

Yeah, they righted the ship.  That offense can be really good.  But I hate Headley on the field (his average has dropped too, so now he's approaching negative territory).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SMC said:

Yeah, they righted the ship.  That offense can be really good.  But I hate Headley on the field (his average has dropped too, so now he's approaching negative territory).

He'll be gone in 2 years.  Gleyber Torres will be the starter at SS and someone will move to 3B (probably Didi)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, thadude said:

He'll be gone in 2 years.  Gleyber Torres will be the starter at SS and someone will move to 3B (probably Didi)

That's what I'm thinking too.  Maybe even as soon as next year.

About being at 85-88 wins, it will be interesting if the Yanks are at that pace in July.  Prior, recent history, shows that Cash would not make a deal at that point (he held on to Sanchez, Judge) when the Blue Jays overtook them in the division and they fell to the WC.

If the Yanks are in range for 90-95 and a division title, I think Cash makes a move for a top pitcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SMC said:

That's what I'm thinking too.  Maybe even as soon as next year.

About being at 85-88 wins, it will be interesting if the Yanks are at that pace in July.  Prior, recent history, shows that Cash would not make a deal at that point (he held on to Sanchez, Judge) when the Blue Jays overtook them in the division and they fell to the WC.

If the Yanks are in range for 90-95 and a division title, I think Cash makes a move for a top pitcher.

Who is even out there?

Thing is, they have so many OF prospects, I could see them moving one or 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SMC said:

Yeah, they righted the ship.  That offense can be really good.  But I hate Headley on the field (his average has dropped too, so now he's approaching negative territory).

Headley is definitely the weak link. Long term they will have to see if Bird is the answer at 1b and long term DH should be easy to figure out.

Otherwise it will be about the rotation. But this team is looking good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SMC said:

That's what I'm thinking too.  Maybe even as soon as next year.

About being at 85-88 wins, it will be interesting if the Yanks are at that pace in July.  Prior, recent history, shows that Cash would not make a deal at that point (he held on to Sanchez, Judge) when the Blue Jays overtook them in the division and they fell to the WC.

If the Yanks are in range for 90-95 and a division title, I think Cash makes a move for a top pitcher.

A lot of ifs but Severino and Pineda, if they keep pitching the way they have they will be alright. CC can be the 4th (I know he is hot and cold).

Although with championship aspirations (if they end up having them) you would want a more solid # 2 guy behind Tanaka. Especially since Tanaka can opt out of his contract next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, chirorob said:

Who is even out there?

Thing is, they have so many OF prospects, I could see them moving one or 2.

 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

A lot of ifs but Severino and Pineda, if they keep pitching the way they have they will be alright. CC can be the 4th (I know he is hot and cold).

Although with championship aspirations (if they end up having them) you would want a more solid # 2 guy behind Tanaka. Especially since Tanaka can opt out of his contract next season.

The name that is being thrown out there to be behind Tanaka is Gerrit Cole of the Pirates.  He's a good pitcher having a good year on a bad team (2.84 ERA, .219 BAA, 1.02 WHIP).  He's a better option to the other name thrown out there, Jose Quintana of the White Sox, who's having a bad year on a bad team (4.38 ERA, .253 BAA, 1.42 WHIP).

The Yanks would definitely be unloading one or more of the OF prospects in any trade because, like mentioned, there are so many.

We're still 2 months away from this being an issue because anything could happen in that time.  But if they're division leaders still then, Cash will make a move for the rotation.  They can survive with Headley and 1B because the offense is so dynamic.  Top of rotation pitching addition is the key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2017 at 4:02 PM, SMC said:

That's what I'm thinking too.  Maybe even as soon as next year.

About being at 85-88 wins, it will be interesting if the Yanks are at that pace in July.  Prior, recent history, shows that Cash would not make a deal at that point (he held on to Sanchez, Judge) when the Blue Jays overtook them in the division and they fell to the WC.

If the Yanks are in range for 90-95 and a division title, I think Cash makes a move for a top pitcher.

I wouldn't trade for a top pitcher unless one of our starting pitchers got hurt or just stopped being effective.  I know our rotation has come down to earth last couple weeks but CC, Severino etc are still effective even if they are not consistently good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2017 at 10:54 AM, Maxman said:

A lot of ifs but Severino and Pineda, if they keep pitching the way they have they will be alright. CC can be the 4th (I know he is hot and cold).

Although with championship aspirations (if they end up having them) you would want a more solid # 2 guy behind Tanaka. Especially since Tanaka can opt out of his contract next season.

There's going to be some top starting pitchers available in the offseason (Darvish, Arrieta (yeah I know he's having a bad year so far but will probably bounce back) plus there's the Otani kid from Japan who is probably going to be even better than Tanaka.  No need to give up prospects and trade unless we get injuries or the rotation simply starts to suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SMC said:

I'm calling it.  Judge is going to be the new Captain in a couple of years.  This catch was insane.  Save the game.

 

Can Judge play qb?  He'd probably better than Hack and Petty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great game by Severino.   He is really showing some promise, and the pen really needed a night off.

Him and Montgomery the last 2 days have given some good hope for the years ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 25, 2017 at 8:21 AM, chirorob said:

Great game by Severino.   He is really showing some promise, and the pen really needed a night off.

Him and Montgomery the last 2 days have given some good hope for the years ahead.

We really need to grow some good starting pitching.  It's been a long time when was our last good home grown SP? Wang? Petitte?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, thadude said:

We really need to grow some good starting pitching.  It's been a long time when was our last good home grown SP? Wang? Petitte?

Wang. 

I really liked that guy.  That power sinker, he could eat innings, throw 7, 8, 9 innings in under 100 pitches.   All ruined by a fluke running the bases and then coming back too fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×