2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On May 25, 2017 at 8:21 AM, chirorob said:

Great game by Severino.   He is really showing some promise, and the pen really needed a night off.

Him and Montgomery the last 2 days have given some good hope for the years ahead.

We really need to grow some good starting pitching.  It's been a long time when was our last good home grown SP? Wang? Petitte?

18 minutes ago, thadude said:

We really need to grow some good starting pitching.  It's been a long time when was our last good home grown SP? Wang? Petitte?

Wang. 

I really liked that guy.  That power sinker, he could eat innings, throw 7, 8, 9 innings in under 100 pitches.   All ruined by a fluke running the bases and then coming back too fast.

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

Wang. 

I really liked that guy.  That power sinker, he could eat innings, throw 7, 8, 9 innings in under 100 pitches.   All ruined by a fluke running the bases and then coming back too fast.

Who knows what kind of career Wang would have had without the injury

12 hours ago, thadude said:

And he's going to get another Win tonight.  I love that they gave him another shot at starting pitcher

I'm going to keep saying it, cause it's one of the few times I was right about anything.  You give young guys more than one chance to start.  Yeah, he's great in the pen, but good starting pitching is so hard to find. 

And when did Gardner get this kind of power?

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

I'm going to keep saying it, cause it's one of the few times I was right about anything.  You give young guys more than one chance to start.  Yeah, he's great in the pen, but good starting pitching is so hard to find. 

And when did Gardner get this kind of power?

Severino was one of the best SP minor league prospects for several years and pitched excellent as a rookie -- no way you just relegate him to the pen a starting pitcher is way more valuable 

Gardner has always had some power.  I just hope Girardi rests him with Hicks playing well and Refsnyder can play OF too.  Gardner always gets tired and slumps second half of the season

15 minutes ago, thadude said:

Severino was one of the best SP minor league prospects for several years and pitched excellent as a rookie -- no way you just relegate him to the pen a starting pitcher is way more valuable 

Gardner has always had some power.  I just hope Girardi rests him with Hicks playing well and Refsnyder can play OF too.  Gardner always gets tired and slumps second half of the season

He really does.   He gets nicked up, or hurts something.   He really is a guy who should play 120 games a year. 

On 5/26/2017 at 10:49 AM, thadude said:

I honestly thing Nova gets a bum rap.  He's not a stud, but he is a quality starter.  Agree completely about Severino.  They fell in love with that whole mandate for 7th, 8th and 9th and because it worked with Mariano, they seem to not see the value in actual starters.  

I remember in '95 that Frank Thomas said that Rivera was one of the best pitchers in baseball, but they were pretty quick to move him to the pen.  No complaints, but they've done it with Hughes, Joba, and Betances.  Somebody has to start.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I honestly thing Nova gets a bum rap.  He's not a stud, but he is a quality starter.  Agree completely about Severino.  They fell in love with that whole mandate for 7th, 8th and 9th and because it worked with Mariano, they seem to not see the value in actual starters.  

I remember in '95 that Frank Thomas said that Rivera was one of the best pitchers in baseball, but they were pretty quick to move him to the pen.  No complaints, but they've done it with Hughes, Joba, and Betances.  Somebody has to start.

Nova was good, not great.  No every guy is going to be a #1. 

They screwed up Joba so bad it was a joke.  They should be ashamed for what they did to him.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Yankees keep thinking they can buy an entire starting rotation.  That philosophy has worked one time the past 17 years.  By the time most starters hit free agency they have lots of mileage on their arms.

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

He really does.   He gets nicked up, or hurts something.   He really is a guy who should play 120 games a year. 

Gardner's game is built on his legs that's why.  He's also getting older.  We have depth in the outfield

12 hours ago, thadude said:

Yeah, Severino was an outstanding prospect. One of the too/very few to log the innings, put up the numbers, stay healthy, do it at very young ages...checks all the boxes for me. 

14 hours ago, thadude said:

Btw if Tanaka opts out next offseason the Yankees absolutely should not resign him.

The way he's pitching now there's no way he opts out.  He has 3 yrs at $67 million.  

Tanaka's a major issue now.  They keep on saying he's not hurt, but this is ridiculous.  He's giving up over 6 runs a game in less than 5 innings.  His starts are like batting practice.

36 minutes ago, SMC said:

The way he's pitching now there's no way he opts out.  He has 3 yrs at $67 million.  

Tanaka's a major issue now.  They keep on saying he's not hurt, but this is ridiculous.  He's giving up over 6 runs a game in less than 5 innings.  His starts are like batting practice.

I'd be shocked if it's not the elbow.  

Don't ask him how he's feeling.   Just order the MRI

15 hours ago, thadude said:

Gardner's game is built on his legs that's why.  He's also getting older.  We have depth in the outfield

I don't mean it as a knock on his game.   Just what you said, he's not 26, he gets dinged a lot.  A speed guy with a bad leg loses a lot of value. 

I really like Gardner, he's just a 5 game a week player, not a 6-7 game a week player, which is fine, cause when he's healthy he's a real good player.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I don't mean it as a knock on his game.   Just what you said, he's not 26, he gets dinged a lot.  A speed guy with a bad leg loses a lot of value. 

I really like Gardner, he's just a 5 game a week player, not a 6-7 game a week player, which is fine, cause when he's healthy he's a real good player.

Hopefully Girardi doesn't fall in the trap of overusing Gardner again because he is so consistently effective but come August he'll get burnt out

After the first 2 months of the season, Judge leads the Yanks in BA, HRs, RBIs, OBP, SLG, OPS & WAR

In the AL, he is 6th in BA, 1st in HR, 5th in RBIs & 2nd in WAR

This is an MVPesque season in the making

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know everybody says Tanaka is hurt, but were we saying it last week when he went seven and a third and gave up one run with thirteen k's? 

He's had 2 great starts.   But the rest have been awful.  

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know everybody says Tanaka is hurt, but were we saying it last week when he went seven and a third and gave up one run with thirteen k's? 

Tanaka wont throw his fastball.  Probably because he doesn't want to exacerbate the tear in his elbow.  Without his fastball hitters can lay off his other pitches

On 6/2/2017 at 5:49 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah, Tanaka seems fine to me. The HRs are a little nuts but that seems to be a thing in the early going league wide. I love him among the upcoming FAs, really only prefer Otani (if he's available and there's some loophole for the Cubs to exploit somewhere) to him outright. Velocity's up across the board before typical season peaks for pitchers (mid-late summer), slider and splitter getting more whiffs than usual, all his individual pitches are getting more groundballs except the cutter...The big difference seems to be that his cutter is getting hit out out of the park rather than popped up, like in previous seasons, this year.

Archived