2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

Castro hurt.   They've had some injuries.   SS missed time.   2b gonna miss time.   1B missed time.   CF missed time.   Catcher missed time.   CC missed time.   Closer missed time.   7th inning guy missed time.  Uber prospect missing the season.

Still in first place

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Really just need one, 2 at the most.

Bring back CC for a year, Severino, Montgomery, the kid in AAA.

I want both Darvish and Otani.  Really all this team lacks is front line starting pitching and another middle reliever

On 6/28/2017 at 9:44 AM, chirorob said:

Really just need one, 2 at the most.

Bring back CC for a year, Severino, Montgomery, the kid in AAA.

That's my thinking as well.  Bring up Adams, bring back CC, Severino and Montgomery.  The issue will be Tanaka if he opts out.  He looks like he righted himself based on the last 2 outings.

Judge has been incredible.  Thinking about it, I believe he has the prettiest right handed swings I've seen in a long time.  Lefties have the better looking swing than rights (Junior's was my favorite), so when you see an effortless right handed swing it stands out.  Because of his size, Judge's swing looks so smooth and effortless.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

That's my thinking as well.  Bring up Adams, bring back CC, Severino and Montgomery.  The issue will be Tanaka if he opts out.  He looks like he righted himself based on the last 2 outings.

Judge has been incredible.  Thinking about it, I believe he has the prettiest right handed swings I've seen in a long time.  Lefties have the better looking swing than rights (Junior's was my favorite), so when you see an effortless right handed swing it stands out.  Because of his size, Judge's swing looks so smooth and effortless.

He is doing a good job of swinging at strikes.  He has the best right center field power of anyone I have seen since Piazza.   The light went on, and he realized, "I'm huge.  I don't have to over swing, and I can go with the pitch, and I can hit it out to any field in any park, including Jellystone National Park".

Joking aside, that shot he hit in Toronto....   Opposite field upper deck.   WTF, that's like video game power.

Sanchez also, real good power to right center.

14 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He is doing a good job of swinging at strikes.  He has the best right center field power of anyone I have seen since Piazza.   The light went on, and he realized, "I'm huge.  I don't have to over swing, and I can go with the pitch, and I can hit it out to any field in any park, including Jellystone National Park".

Joking aside, that shot he hit in Toronto....   Opposite field upper deck.   WTF, that's like video game power.

Sanchez also, real good power to right center.

Yep, it can be a simple game at times.  He has the best rate at swinging at strikes.  That's what gets me upset with Castro some times.  He swings at so many pitches out of the strike zone.

Like you said with Judge, his plate discipline allows him to swing at strikes and with his power the ball naturally goes a long way.  There was a great story on a similar situation with Frank Howard (the first giant everyday ball player who had success).  Howard said that once he started playing for Ted Williams (who was a manager at the time) his batting average improved because Williams told him to only swing at strikes and stop expanding the strikezone.  His walks also went up.  The same with Judge.  Judge is going to strike out a lot, but he's going to hit a lot of homers and walk a bunch.

BTW, Chris Carter is back with the Yanks.  He accepted his assignment to AAA and got called up with Tyler Austin going on DL

16 hours ago, SMC said:

Yep, it can be a simple game at times.  He has the best rate at swinging at strikes.  That's what gets me upset with Castro some times.  He swings at so many pitches out of the strike zone.

Like you said with Judge, his plate discipline allows him to swing at strikes and with his power the ball naturally goes a long way.  There was a great story on a similar situation with Frank Howard (the first giant everyday ball player who had success).  Howard said that once he started playing for Ted Williams (who was a manager at the time) his batting average improved because Williams told him to only swing at strikes and stop expanding the strikezone.  His walks also went up.  The same with Judge.  Judge is going to strike out a lot, but he's going to hit a lot of homers and walk a bunch.

BTW, Chris Carter is back with the Yanks.  He accepted his assignment to AAA and got called up with Tyler Austin going on DL

I don't mind Carter being back he was more effective than Austin

I think the comparison to Frank Thomas is excellent.  Another similar big guy who was a dominant power hitter is pre-injury Bo Jackson on the Royals

Horrible injury for Fowler.   That really sucks, kid makes his MLB debut, and in the first inning, before he even gets an at bat, he shreds his knee.

Patellar tendon surgery is no joke.   For his sake I really hope he makes it all the way back, that just sucks.  

Yanks have lost 2 big prospects to freak injuries.   Tommy John surgery from sliding into home, and this.

Awful injury for Fowler.  I don't think I've ever seen that before in which a player had a season ending injury in the 1st injury of his MLB debut.

Victor Cruz was never the same after a patellar tendon rupture, but a pitcher a few years back came back the next season with no lingering issues.  Luckily he is only 22 and should come back strong next season.

Chirob, also don't forget the Yanks lost their No. 1 pitching prospect to Tommy John surgery this season as well.  MLB is a fickle game.

37 minutes ago, thadude said:

I don't mind Carter being back he was more effective than Austin

I think the comparison to Frank Thomas is excellent.  Another similar big guy who was a dominant power hitter is pre-injury Bo Jackson on the Royals

Judge's power is so strong that last night Melky "robbed" Judge of a homer, but it was actually a pop up that went all the way to the wall.  For any other hitter that would be a routine catch in mid LF.

18 minutes ago, SMC said:

Awful injury for Fowler.  I don't think I've ever seen that before in which a player had a season ending injury in the 1st injury of his MLB debut.

Victor Cruz was never the same after a patellar tendon rupture, but a pitcher a few years back came back the next season with no lingering issues.  Luckily he is only 22 and should come back strong next season.

Chirob, also don't forget the Yanks lost their No. 1 pitching prospect to Tommy John surgery this season as well.  MLB is a fickle game.

Injuries happen, but a pitcher needing Tommy John isn't as out of the ordinary.  An infielder, on his non throwing arm?   Dude running into the fence and exploding his knee?

Side note, it is astounding how many people need TJ.   The Texas town I live in, they have had 4 kids in HS in the last 4 year have it.   How does a 16 year old do so much damage he needs that?

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Injuries happen, but a pitcher needing Tommy John isn't as out of the ordinary.  An infielder, on his non throwing arm?   Dude running into the fence and exploding his knee?

Side note, it is astounding how many people need TJ.   The Texas town I live in, they have had 4 kids in HS in the last 4 year have it.   How does a 16 year old do so much damage he needs that?

Yeah, a position player needing TJ surgery is rare.  He's just lucky it's his non-throwing arm.

On the bolded, there was a recent article on this and studies done.  The problem today is that kids play only 1 sport now so there is a greater chance of repetitive stress injury.  These young ballplayers are playing baseball all year round in warm weather states like Texas, rather than playing different sports at different times which allows their body to heal.  The same with soccer and basketball.  The kids are constantly playing the same sport which increases their chance of repetitive stress injury.

Yankees are really scuffling right now, tough series with Houston starting tonight.  FYI, they arrived in Houston at 6am this morning and face McCullers tonight.  Chalk up the L.  They could really use the All star break right now.  Hopefully they can turn it around on the homestand before the break.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:55 AM, SMC said:

Judge's power is so strong that last night Melky "robbed" Judge of a homer, but it was actually a pop up that went all the way to the wall.  For any other hitter that would be a routine catch in mid LF.

Its really amazing how much a changed stance can do for a player. Im not sure why many more players don't change their stance and improve so much from the minors to the majors. Seems like an easy thing to do. All these guys cheating and taking PED's, no need, just need to change their stance and boom, instant HOF player.

7 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Its really amazing how much a changed stance can do for a player. Im not sure why many more players don't change their stance and improve so much from the minors to the majors. Seems like an easy thing to do. All these guys cheating and taking PED's, no need, just need to change their stance and boom, instant HOF player.

There was a recent groundbreaking study done on EPO, the PED drug Lance Armstrong used, which eventually got him a lifetime ban from racing and stripped of his 7 Tour de France championships.

EPO was believed to increase oxygen absorption in the blood to increase stamina.  But it doesn't work. The study found that there was no competitive advantage using EPO.  It worked the same as the placebo, meaning, it didn't work at all.

Sometimes cheating doesn't work.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

There was a recent groundbreaking study done on EPO, the PED drug Lance Armstrong used, which eventually got him a lifetime ban from racing and stripped of his 7 Tour de France championships.

EPO was believed to increase oxygen absorption in the blood to increase stamina.  But it doesn't work. The study found that there was no competitive advantage using EPO.  It worked the same as the placebo, meaning, it didn't work at all.

Sometimes cheating doesn't work.

Interesting... this is why changing stances are better than EPO?

17 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Btw Mike Piazza did steroids

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Probably did, so did like 95% of all players of that generation, including Jeter

If Jeter did steroids he had the worse supply because he hit no more than 20 hrs per season.

15 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Interesting... this is why changing stances are better than EPO?

Yep, because no amount of PEDs is going to changepitch recognition and hand-eye coordination.

14 minutes ago, chirorob said:

This team needs help...

I do not like this line of thinking.  Not that I don't agree, but I want to sit tight and keep going with the youngsters.  This team was doing better than expected with all the youth.  Thinking that it needs help is how you end up with Raul Mondesi and Bobby Abreu.  Those guys have their pluses, but not for this team.  

We knew we would take our lumps.  Stand up and take them. 

34 minutes ago, chirorob said:

This team needs help...

This team needs health.

I'm against trading any of the young players.  I mentioned before about the Yanks getting to this point.  The trade deadline is at the end of this month and the Yanks are treading water at the moment.  This is a crossroads time for Cash.  Does he stick to the plan of protecting youth and evaluate, or does he chase something that might not be there.  We have to see if the Yanks can rebound from this in July.

Mind you, the Yanks or something like 5-15 over there last 20 games and 7 of those games were blown late leads by Clippard and Betances. We'll see ho they perform over the next three weeks to determine if they're worthy of a trade (that is, rebound and are still fighting for 1st) or if they're not (still struggling).  

The Yanks are in good shape right now.  They can't get antsy and blow it by making a "now" move.

6 minutes ago, SMC said:

This team needs health.

I'm against trading any of the young players.  I mentioned before about the Yanks getting to this point.  The trade deadline is at the end of this month and the Yanks are treading water at the moment.  This is a crossroads time for Cash.  Does he stick to the plan of protecting youth and evaluate, or does he chase something that might not be there.  We have to see if the Yanks can rebound from this in July.

Mind you, the Yanks or something like 5-15 over there last 20 games and 7 of those games were blown late leads by Clippard and Betances. We'll see ho they perform over the next three weeks to determine if they're worthy of a trade (that is, rebound and are still fighting for 1st) or if they're not (still struggling).  

The Yanks are in good shape right now.  They can't get antsy and blow it by making a "now" move.

Only way I trade for a pitcher is if it's someone you have control of for 3 + years.   They will need to add someone for next year.   Otherwise, nothing.

I really think either Clippard is hurt, or has a dead arm.   He was so good, then so bad over night. 

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I do not like this line of thinking.  Not that I don't agree, but I want to sit tight and keep going with the youngsters.  This team was doing better than expected with all the youth.  Thinking that it needs help is how you end up with Raul Mondesi and Bobby Abreu.  Those guys have their pluses, but not for this team.  

We knew we would take our lumps.  Stand up and take them. 

Nah, don't get me wrong.   I hoped for 86-88 wins.  I haven't changed my opinion, they just have had a run of bad luck lately with injuries.  
Betances does not look right.   Like I said, I trade for a starter ONLY if Yanks have control of him for 2 more years after this one, as they will need someone

Archived