GREAT NEWS!!!!! AHEAD OF SCHEDULE!!!!

Gas2No99

:D

Geno Smith - QB -  Jets

Geno Smith (knee) expects to be ready for training camp.

"I’ll be full go during camp next year," said Smith. "Other than that, just taking it week by week. No need to rush it." An impending free agent, Smith will be eight months removed from surgery in July. With Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg under contract, Smith will likely be playing for a different team in 2017.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets Notebook: Geno Smith says ‘I’ll be full go during camp next year’ ... but with what team? 

Geno Smith doesn’t know what team he’ll be playing for next season.

But the Jets quarterback, who tore his ACL in Week 7, is sure about thing: He’ll be ready to take the field.

“I’ll be full go during camp next year,” Smith told the Daily News on Friday in Florham Park. “But other than that, just taking it week by week. No need to rush it.”

Smith is in the final year of his rookie contract. And with both Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg on the roster, the Jets are unlikely to bring Smith back next year.

GenoCoaster wasn’t worth the price of admission for Jets

So the former second-round pick out of West Virginia will almost certainly be looking elsewhere for his next opportunity under center. First, though, Smith must complete the rehab on his knee.

Smith suffered the injury on Oct. 23 against the Ravens, just days after he took the starting job from Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Jets were 1-5, and Todd Bowles was looking for a spark. Then early in the second quarter, Smith twisted his knee while taking a sack on third down.

The opportunity he’d waited so long for vanished in the blink of an eye.

Smith, however, doesn’t view the situation that way.

Joe Namath to Jets QB Geno Smith: ‘My bad’

“You know what? I don’t think that was my (only) opportunity. I just got a chance to go out there and play,” he said. “We got a lot of time left with this thing, so just got to continue to work on the rehab process and get my knee back healthy to 100%.”

Geno Smith's rookie contract is up at the end of season leaving NFL future up in the air.

Geno Smith's rookie contract is up at the end of season leaving NFL future up in the air.

(COREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

Smith is surprised at how easy the rehab proves has been so far.

“As far as healing, I might be ahead of schedule,” Smith said. “I thought it would be a lot harder than it is. Actually, when I hurt it, I thought it would hurt a lot more than it did. But I also thought the recovery would be a lot harder. And it may get harder. But as of now, man, it’s been pretty smooth. The doctors have done a great job, and the guys who are taking care of me. So I think overall, a lot better than I expected.”

40 minutes ago, BroadwayBen said:

Not saying it translates to production necessarily, but Geno is still the most talented quarterback on our roster, for what it's worth. 

Too bad the FO and the HC did not understand that. They listened to the chorus line of fans to bring back Futz. Someone needs to start making business decisions around here.

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

Too bad the FO and the HC did not understand that. They listened to the chorus line of fans to bring back Futz. Someone needs to start making business decisions around here.

Dont forget our moron head coach and GM listened to Mangold,Decker and Marshall too. 

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Vote @joewilly12 for President of Football Operations.  

Make Bowles answer to Macc.  Macc answer to Joe.  And Joe slaps around Woody when needed.

I accept the nomination all JetNation.com members get free tickets to the home opener and free beer. 

We will have weekly polls where JetNation can make educated decisions such as signing free agents and draft selections. 

LETS DO THIS. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I accept the nomination all JetNation.com members get free tickets to the home opener and free beer. 

We will have weekly polls where JetNation can make educated decisions such as signing free agents and draft selections. 

LETS DO THIS. 

This franchise might actually start to go in the right direction with this form of regime..

I agree 100%

The FACT that this draft bust will NOT be stinking up Florham Park with his awful QB play in 2017 is definitely...

GREAT NEWS!!!!

for this football team

His two seasons as a starter will be long remembered as arguably WORSE than the storied seasons of Neil ODonnell, Bubby Brister, Rick Mirer, Brooks Bollinger and Bill Demory in the NYJ Starting QB Hall of Shame.

None of them however got punched out and their jaw broken in the locker room by a teammate because they cheated him out of a measly 600 bucks in travel expense reimbursement though.

11 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

:D

Geno Smith - QB -  Jets

Geno Smith (knee) expects to be ready for training camp.

"I’ll be full go during camp next year," said Smith. "Other than that, just taking it week by week. No need to rush it." An impending free agent, Smith will be eight months removed from surgery in July. With Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg under contract, Smith will likely be playing for a different team in 2017.

SIGN THIS BEAST!!!!!

20 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm sure his knee will be just fine so he can compete for a backup spot with the Argonauts

If Fitzpatrick can have a 10 years plus career in the NFL and still be starting at this stage then I have absolutely no doubt Geno Smith can too.

37 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

If Fitzpatrick can have a 10 years plus career in the NFL and still be starting at this stage then I have absolutely no doubt Geno Smith can too.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Thank you,  That was very funny.

SAR I

35 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

That's silly. Obviously it was a mistake drafting Kenny O over Marino, but he was a solid starting QB for years. Geno isn't even backup quality.

I was responding to your callouts of field awareness (O'Brien had happy feet) and intelligence (O'Brien was not smart) rather than his ranking on the depth chart.

Either way, Geno Smith ruined the 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 seasons and I'd be grateful to never read his name or see his face again on JN.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Cant the man rehab in peace?   Why the hate what has he done so bad to this organization?  

Fitzpatrick has us in last place hell and he doesn't get all this hate. 

No hate, I want us to sign this beast once he is recovered!!!

I wouldn't be shocked if he's out of the NFL and playing in Canada for a year or two before he moves on to sell insurance or something like that, but you also can't ignore just how horrible the QB situation is around the league which could land him a back-up job somewhere.

However, not sure how many teams will tolerate a back-up who trolls the team on social media when things aren't going well.

Should be interesting.

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Cant the man rehab in peace?   Why the hate what has he done so bad to this organization?  

Fitzpatrick has us in last place hell and he doesn't get all this hate. 

Geno Smith was declared the future of this franchise, given the starting job immediately, and wasted the last 4 seasons by making bad decisions and busting.  He's lazy, doesn't work hard, doesn't care, is no leader, blogs against the team, basically stole our money.

Ryan Fitzpatrick tries harder than any other Jet on the field, cares deeply, and is a major team leader.  For a guy with half the physical tools of Geno Bust he outworks him and that's why he has our admiration and Jaw Boy has nothing but our disdain.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Geno Smith was declared the future of this franchise, given the starting job immediately, and wasted the last 4 seasons by making bad decisions and busting.  He's lazy, doesn't work hard, doesn't care, is no leader, blogs against the team, basically stole our money.

Ryan Fitzpatrick tries harder than any other Jet on the field, cares deeply, and is a major team leader.  For a guy with half the physical tools of Geno Bust he outworks him and that's why he has our admiration and Jaw Boy has nothing but our disdain.

SAR I

Blame management for the clowns they trotted out on the field for Geno Smith to throw the ball to, last time i checked none of them are still in the NFL. 

Blame management for the entire situation not the players. 

Blame management for the head coach they chose to lead this team. 

Blame management and Rayan Fitzpatrick we are 3-8 in last place and your season tickets aren't worth all that much. 

Here's hoping your Holiday trinket from the NY Jets is a Ryan Fitzpatrick bobble head. 

joewilly12 

45 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I wouldn't be shocked if he's out of the NFL and playing in Canada for a year or two before he moves on to sell insurance or something like that, but you also can't ignore just how horrible the QB situation is around the league which could land him a back-up job somewhere.

However, not sure how many teams will tolerate a back-up who trolls the team on social media when things aren't going well.

Should be interesting.

Futz trolls the team on the post game pressers for $12MM USD. Go figure

Archived