Holy Hook and Ladder

Maxman

So the high school that my oldest son played at, and the one that my daughter attends now was supposed to close. It is a really small Catholic School, Mater Dei Prep and like many other schools they were set to close. The community rallied, raised over a million dollars and it is now a Catholic school that is privately run. But that isn't the point, they won their first ever state championship today. Look at the game winning play, time running out, scored tied 20 - 20. And then this happened:

Congratulations to Mater Dei Prep on the perfect season.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Awesome!  Big congrats to them.

The QB has multiple D1 offers, including Boston College. More coming I am sure and the WR that scored the TD has like 10 D1 offers. More after that play goes viral lol.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

So the high school that my oldest son played at, and the one that my daughter attends now was supposed to close. It is a really small Catholic School, Mater Dei Prep and like many other schools they were set to close. The community rallied, raised over a million dollars and it is now a Catholic school that is privately run. But that isn't the point, they won their first ever state championship today. Look at the game winning play, time running out, scored tied 20 - 20. And then this happened:

I saw this.. cb gave the WR twice as big of a cushion than bum revis ha.. and should have seen that developing.. regardless congrats to Mat day ! I played against them two decades ago.. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I saw this.. cb gave the WR twice as big of a cushion than bum revis ha.. and should have seen that developing.. regardless congrats to Mat day ! I played against them two decades ago.. 

Where did you play?

16 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Shore.. Won CJ1 State championship 97. MD had a decent team back then, always beat em but seemed like they got better each yr.. 

Shore, wow. That school has been a powerhouse for a very long time. I think this was the first year Mater Dei beat Shore in like 20 years or so.

28 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This was called the Cherry Picker back in my day. Kid who had the ball looked fast...not surprised he's going D1

He played varsity as a freshman. He is by far the most talented kid I have ever seen play football.

Congratulations to MD, but there is a more important story here.
The head coach is Dino Mangiero,
many of you might remember him at Rutgers and as a KC Chief.
The school in the lily white community of Middletown NJ,
imported a bunch of kids from out of the area, some I'm told from NYC.
So they recruited these kids and a friend who is an alumni of the school told me that he sees these inner city kids getting off the ferry from NYC every morning.
So not only did they win a championship with a miracle play,
they exploit kids in order to do so.
IDK how these kids can afford tuition plus the ferry fare because the ferry fare has to be 700 plus a month.
I do ok in the Finance industry in NYC and although I would love to
take the ferry to shorten my commute, I can't seem to afford it so i'm stick on the bus for 1/2 the cost.
Just a little food for thought about this miracle team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I presume by "exploit" you mean "give a scholarship and an opportunity for both education and athletic advancement".  I.e. what every private school everywhere in America does, usually to the benefit of low-income kids from sh*tty poor undereducated population centers in the bowels of our worst cities.

But yeah, sorry you can't the ferry.

Nice win Max, thanks for posting it.  

47 minutes ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Congratulations to MD, but there is a more important story here.
The head coach is Dino Mangiero,
many of you might remember him at Rutgers and as a KC Chief.
The school in the lily white community of Middletown NJ,
imported a bunch of kids from out of the area, some I'm told from NYC.
So they recruited these kids and a friend who is an alumni of the school told me that he sees these inner city kids getting off the ferry from NYC every morning.
So not only did they win a championship with a miracle play,
they exploit kids in order to do so.
IDK how these kids can afford tuition plus the ferry fare because the ferry fare has to be 700 plus a month.
I do ok in the Finance industry in NYC and although I would love to
take the ferry to shorten my commute, I can't seem to afford it so i'm stick on the bus for 1/2 the cost.
Just a little food for thought about this miracle team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I am not sure your angle here, but I can tell you this, I don't appreciate your race angle at all.

I am not going to even answer your exploit comment because you are 100% wrong. I know these kids personally and I am sorry you are unhappy with your commute. But that is no reason for you to hate on others and talk about things you have no clue about.

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I presume by "exploit" you mean "give a scholarship and an opportunity for both education and athletic advancement".  I.e. what every private school everywhere in America does, usually to the benefit of low-income kids from sh*tty poor undereducated population centers in the bowels of our worst cities.

But yeah, sorry you can't the ferry.

Nice win Max, thanks for posting it.  

Thanks Fish. This was sweet, my son is a senior in college now. But he was the captain of this team his senior year in high school. Before he got there they didn't win a game in over 4 years. They won games all three years that he played. (I am not saying they won because of him). But they chipped away, they worked hard. They built a new attitude. His sophomore year they suited up 22 kids most weeks. These kids didn't leave the field much and a lot of the games were close at the half but 2nd half was always tough because you had other rosters of 55.

Anyhow one year they won 3 games and it was like a miracle. I sat next to one coach who scouted them in the stands and he said if we lose to these guys that would be embarrassing. And he laughed at how bad Mater Dei was. Mater Dei beat him and he got fired that offseason.

They have slowly gotten better and better. And every kid on that team has to take academics seriously. They hold them to a high standard. One of the coaches had really nice words for my son walking off the field and it was awesome to hear. These are high character kids who were handed nothing, had a school close and had to fight to over turn it.

I am sorry, this is a good story and a great group of kids.

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

The QB has multiple D1 offers, including Boston College. More coming I am sure and the WR that scored the TD has like 10 D1 offers. More after that play goes viral lol.

Was flawlessly executed. Should send this to Woody. Maybe the coach can coach the Jets next year? 

6 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Always wondered why it isn't used more at higher levels. If practiced enough, and timed correctly, it's no more risky than a pitch in the option game. 

I used them frequently when I was coaching (recently stopped coaching).

The risk.  The NFL and it's O-Co's are nothing if not risk-averse.

Same reason it's a law written on stone tablets in the NFL that "Thou Must Have a Veteran QB".

No matter how stupid it may be to follow that law, almost all NFL teams do it, and worse, play that veteran, whne they could/hould be playing a young kid with growth potential.

At the High-School level, all that goes out the window, and it makes for at times moments of great fun as well as moments of great comedy value.  It's why that level is so enjoyable at times. 

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Was flawlessly executed. Should send this to Woody. Maybe the coach can coach the Jets next year? 

This coach (as was previously mentioned) played in the NFL for 7 seasons. He was an All American at Rutgers. Seems like a really good guy, he is amazing with these kids. Demands a lot of them but really loves what he does and it shows.

4 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Always wondered why it isn't used more at higher levels. If practiced enough, and timed correctly, it's no more risky than a pitch in the option game. 

I used them frequently when I was coaching (recently stopped coaching).

At that level (high school) I think it would be effective. At the Jets level, they should do it more. Because what they are doing now isn't effective lol.

It was a risky play, MDP was up most of the game and it was tied with a strip sack that was returned 50 yards for a TD.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

This coach (as was previously mentioned) played in the NFL for 7 seasons. He was an All American at Rutgers. Seems like a really good guy, he is amazing with these kids. Demands a lot of them but really loves what he does and it shows.

Athletes excel under good head coaches who believe in them they acquire good positive attitudes and strive for perfection and winning. 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

The risk.  The NFL and it's O-Co's are nothing if not risk-averse.

Same reason it's a law written on stone tablets in the NFL that "Thou Must Have a Veteran QB".

No matter how stupid it may be to follow that law, almost all NFL teams do it, and worse, play that veteran, whne they could/hould be playing a young kid with growth potential.

At the High-School level, all that goes out the window, and it makes for at times moments of great fun as well as moments of great comedy value.  It's why that level is so enjoyable at times. 

I totally agree.

On my bucket list is to go experience Friday night lights with one of the top national high school teams in Texas or somewhere like that. The talent level of those schools is amazing.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Athletes excel under good head coaches who believe in them they acquire good positive attitudes and strive for perfection and winning. 

That sounds like something Bruce Coslet would make the team memorize and repeat until they believed in him, lol.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I totally agree.

On my bucket list is to go experience Friday night lights with one of the top national high school teams in Texas or somewhere like that. The talent level of those schools is amazing.

Friday nights games are awesome.. was fun to play running out to "hells bells " at shore, but fun to watch now.. I wouldn't mind seeing the NFL move the thurs night game to fri night.. sure players would love the extra day, lot more people could actually watch the 2nd half without worrying about bed time.. 

21 hours ago, Maxman said:

LOVE THAT!!!!!  My kids attended Charlotte Catholic, NC state champs and it is always a rush when a small catholic school can beat a public school. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

LOVE THAT!!!!!  My kids attended Charlotte Catholic, NC state champs and it is always a rush when a small catholic school can beat a public school. 

The way they do it in NJ is you are in a division roughly based on school size, public \ non public mixed together. But i think some of the publics in their division have double the enrollment. I know some teams on their schedule do. But come state playoff time the non publics all play each other based on size. They are in a different group then Don Bosco and St Joes Montvale which are powerhouses but much bigger. My daughter is a senior and I think there are 60 kids in her class. Definitely a small school. :)

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That moment of pause the defender had when he saw the lateral and realized he was ****ed...that kid is my spirit animal.

There are some plays you don't get over that night. And there are some plays you don't get over until you are in your 40's. 

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The way they do it in NJ is you are in a division roughly based on school size, public \ non public mixed together. But i think some of the publics in their division have double the enrollment. I know some teams on their schedule do. But come state playoff time the non publics all play each other based on size. They are in a different group then Don Bosco and St Joes Montvale which are powerhouses but much bigger. My daughter is a senior and I think there are 60 kids in her class. Definitely a small school. :)

Same here...except Charlotte is exploding with NY and NJ people moving here over 100,000 a year. My older daughters class, 10 years ago, was 200, now it's 400 so we play pretty large public schools.   It's still a blast.  Good for you!

35 minutes ago, Maxman said:

There are some plays you don't get over that night. And there are some plays you don't get over until you are in your 40's. 

I'm 45..still not over my last game and some plays I held myself responsible for.

its really quite pathetic.

On 12/3/2016 at 7:37 PM, Maxman said:

Congrats on the big win!  Do they still have their fair?  I grew up in Hazlet and remember going to it most years.

1 hour ago, adb280z said:

Congrats on the big win!  Do they still have their fair?  I grew up in Hazlet and remember going to it most years.

Yes!!!!!

Stop by next summer. I volunteer at the money wheel. :)

Archived