In your opinion, who was the greatest RB of all time?

TuscanyTile2

33 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I like eric dickerson.  He was never the same after he left the rams, but he was unstoppable those ram years.

6978 rushing yards in his first 4 seasons.  1465 carries.   Unbelievable durability. 

49 fumbles in 4 seasons though.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Most electric and amazing? Sanders

Most powerful? Campbell

If you had a 4th and goal from 5 yards out to win with 2 seconds on the clock who would you want to hand the ball to?

Not Barry Sanders. 

RB is one of the harder positions to say "best of all time." 

Successful RBs come in all shapes, sizes, and styles. From 5'6" up through 6'4".  Some short and stocky, others leaner and upright.  The only constant is that they gain positive yardage... one way or another.  They are also reliant on their respective O-Line and whether or not they faced 8 man fronts on a regular basis.

Not to mention, there are some RBs who were spectacular for short periods of time.  Terrell Davis, Gayle Sayers, Bo Jackson, even Priest Holmes. 

I cannot answer this question of who is the best.  The most exciting to watch in my lifetime? Barry.

3 hours ago, JoeWillie said:

Best all around RB I ever saw Walter Payton.

Could do it all ... run, catch, block ... even threw a llittle.

Never saw Jim Brown at his peak.

Best FB of all time only had 1 year when he had 300 carries but avg over a 100 yds a game every year but 1 and played in 12 and 14 game seasons..He quit at age 29 and in his last year he had 17 tds 1544 yds and a 5.3 ypc avg

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Barry Sanders is the best I've ever seen...and I don't think anyone is even close.

Jim Brown, and it's not even close. Different styles, of course. But Brown ran in a time when the playbook was small, everybody knew he was getting the ball, and he still racked up the highest average carries over 9 seasons and was still going strong when he quit for the movies. Look at the highlight reels.... I saw him when I was just a kid, so that doesn't really help. Saw  Gayle Sayers a lot and he was probably the greatest open field runner -- dazzling. Of course Barry Sanders is in the pantheon.

For one season, O.J. Simpson deserves a nod. He did in 1973 what nobody has done over that span of games -- just a monster year.

22 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Jim Brown, and it's not even close. Different styles, of course. But Brown ran in a time when the playbook was small, everybody knew he was getting the ball, and he still racked up the highest average carries over 9 seasons and was still going strong when he quit for the movies. Look at the highlight reels.... I saw him when I was just a kid, so that doesn't really help. Saw  Gayle Sayers a lot and he was probably the greatest open field runner -- dazzling. Of course Barry Sanders is in the pantheon.

For one season, O.J. Simpson deserves a nod. He did in 1973 what nobody has done over that span of games -- just a monster year.

OJ actually had an amazing 5 year run, leading the league in rushing 4 times, with a 2000 and a 1800 year season.  When he retired, I believe he was #2 all time.

Also got the 2,000 in 14 games.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I think it's a generational thing.  My Pops, about to turn 80, will tell you Jim Brown or Gayle Sayers.

My brother, 50, will tell you Earl Campbell or OJ Simpson.  He loved him some John Riggins too. 

My other brother, 46, will tell you Walter Payton or Eric Dickerson.

I'm 37 and the best I've ever seen is Barry Sanders.  But man, LT and Marshall Faulk were ******* amazing at the pinnacle of their careers. 

Im 50 and I agree with your brothers choices for sure. But for me it was Barry Sanders.  Back then I never heard anyone said they were a Lions fan. They would just tell you they loved Barry Sanders. Guy was on a terrible team and was just amazing to watch. Nobody could change direction and make people miss like him.  Like a freaking cartoon.

In my time (and interestingly also the greatest college RB's I've ever seen):

1. Barry Sanders

2. Adrian Peterson

3. Marshall Faulk

Before my time (but all the old bastards...and NFL Films)

1. Jim Brown

2. Walter Payton (remember the tail end though and still great)

3. Earl Campbell 

In his own special category all by himself

Bo Jackson

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Jim Brown and it's not close after that. 

Most will tell you Jim Brown was the greatest football player.  Period. 

Very possible but I never saw Jim Brown.  Btw, here's a vid of a run by Earl Campbell where Jim Brown is announcing.

Barry Sanders, and it isn't close.  

All due respect to Jim Brown, Sanders had the world's worst offensive line for his entire career and played in an era where defenses were finally athletically on par with what we have today..  It was like Barry and 5 tackling dummies vs an entire team.  They would stack the box on every single play to prevent him from moving, and he would *still* embarass the entire team and get his ridiculous stats.

I loved Walter Payton, but he wasn't in the same league (no one has even come close).

Earl Campbell and John Riggins are the best pure RBs I have seen . The best pure Tail back I think I would give to Marshall Faulk . The 1st 2 could run around you or over you and had the speed to take it the distance . The last guy was the most dangerous RB I ever saw either catching the ball out of the backfield or running with it from the backfield .  I saw Walter Peyton, and Eric Dickerson and Tony Dorsett and whoever else you want to bring up . Never saw Jim Brown , so can't speak about him .

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know this isn't Jet-related but let's be real that unless Petty or Hack gets in there, we're essentially in the offseason right now. 

For my $$, I'll take Earl Campbell. 

This is a tricky question. If I had to pick the best running back then without a doubt in my mind it would be Barry Sanders. 

However, if I had to build a team around 1 RB in his prime, then It would be Marshall Faulk. What Faulk did from 1998 to 2001 is arguably the greatest 4 year stretch by any offensive player, let alone a running back. Faulk wasnt as elusive as Barry, but he is probably the closest we've seen since Barry and his running style was very Barry-like. 

Barry was a master runner while Faulk was just a complete mismatch given his receiving skills. 

Those are the two best that I've ever seen and its really hard to decide between the two. 

19 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Earl Campbell and John Riggins are the best pure RBs I have seen . The best pure Tail back I think I would give to Marshall Faulk . The 1st 2 could run around you or over you and had the speed to take it the distance . The last guy was the most dangerous RB I ever saw either catching the ball out of the backfield or running with it from the backfield .  I saw Walter Peyton, and Eric Dickerson and Tony Dorsett and whoever else you want to bring up . Never saw Jim Brown , so can't speak about him .

I saw him play at Manhasset HS when I was a kid..Besides Football he avg 38 points a game in basketball and was a fantastic Lacrosse player..  

33 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I saw him play at Manhasset HS when I was a kid..Besides Football he avg 38 points a game in basketball and was a fantastic Lacrosse player..  

Jim Brown against high school players must have been ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Very possible but I never saw Jim Brown.  Btw, here's a vid of a run by Earl Campbell where Jim Brown is announcing.

Both Brown and Campbell had the knack for knocking the living crap out of would be tacklers.  The two most punishing RB's I have seen.  Nice blast from the past -- Dante Pastorini even made an appearance with the toss.

Archived